PDA

View Full Version : hair acting strangely

Kyaatje
November 29th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to figure out what is happening with my hair but I need some help.

For more than a year I've been washing my hair with the shampoo bars from SCH and my hair looked nice and full and shiny. The only thing happening was a slight increase in tangles. I didn't need to use an acidic rinse but did it now and again just for the crazy shine it gave me.
Now a little over a month ago I decided to bleach some stripes in my hair and coloured them with Manic Panic and all of a sudden my hair went dull and yukky when I washed with my shampoo bar.
So I decided to do a 'light' clarifying wash with a regular SLS shampoo without any cones. Result : super soft hair with a great shine and almost no tangles.
So next time I tried using my shampoo bar again and again dull hair that was just yuk.

So now I using a regular shampoo again instead of my bars, but I don't understand what is happening. :confused::rolleyes:

I do use conditioner with both my bars and my SLS shampoo and I slightly oil using either coconut or camellia oil.

Has anybody an idea why my hair might react like this ?

Thanks

Gothchiq
November 29th, 2011, 06:56 AM
The cuticle to your hair is more opened up/frayed now that you have chemically processed it. As far as I know, shampoo bars are alkaline, as is the chemicals you used to color your hair. This, too, can open the cuticle more, making your hair rough and unruly. Therefore if I were you I think I would look for a shampoo/conditioner with a slightly acidic pH so as to close the cuticle and make the hair softer and shinier.

xoxo
gothchiq

Kyaatje
November 29th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Thanks gothchiq for your input, what struck me as strange especially is that not only the chemical processed hair reacted strangely, but also my unprocessed hair ?

spidermom
November 29th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I agree with Gothchiq. You're supposed to use an acid rinse with shampoo bars because they are a bit on the alkaline side of neutral pH, and hair/scalp prefer slightly acid pH.

Remember that when you do a chemical treatment, it can affect all your hair because there are fumes. I would guess that you've had an overload of alkaline products, and the switch to liquid shampoo with an acid pH will benefit both your hair and scalp.

amberpotamus
November 29th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks gothchiq for your input, what struck me as strange especially is that not only the chemical processed hair reacted strangely, but also my unprocessed hair ?

Just because the bleach didn't sit on the undyed hair long enough to change the color doesn't necessarily mean that it didn't cause the cuticle to lift a bit when you rinsed it from the strands it was on. I hate the way dyed hair feels when I apply any shampoo that isn't mildly acidic--because my hair is so thick, it can be hard to work it through all my hair at all when it's like that; it just basically turns into one solid dread until I add conditioner. So glad I went back to henna and there's only a teeny bit of dyed hair left.

Kyaatje
November 29th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I just had a 'duh' moment LOL
I really didn't think of the bleach rinsing through my hair and causing some change !

But I'm sure you are all right :-)

At the moment I'm using a solid lush shampoo so it has SLS but how do I check the acidity ?
I do use a slightly acidic conditioner and I started to use more vinegar rinses (I really like them !)
would that be enough ?

I want to keep my hair like this for a while ... I wanted pink streaks and although I didn't bleach enough to get pink I like how it looks at the moment. I don't think I will bleach more though

jacqueline101
November 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM
It could be the soap bar has a chemical that reacts with the dye.

Kyaatje
November 29th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I thought that at first, but I'm not that great in comparing ingredients and figuring out which would react with each other :o