PDA

View Full Version : Excited About Silver!

AerisDawn
July 9th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I'm starting to get a few grays but I'm really not as upset about that as I thought I would be. People in my family tend to go gray early. My father's hair turned completely white by the time he was 20! I've decided not to color my grays because I think long silvery hair would be beautiful. Just thought I'd share that. :ponder:

janaana
July 9th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I love the look of long silver hair, especially in up styles.

It's great that you are enjoying your few white hairs. I don't mind the thought of myself with completely silver hair but am not sure I'll like just a few stray light ones in my dark hair so much.

AJoifulNoise
July 9th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I'm 22 and I have several silver strands. I think they are beautiful. They are actually one of the reasons I'm not coloring my hair. I like the silvers!

I've been looking at my brothers and the youngest one (10 years older than me) is salt and pepper (with the pepper being more of a brownish). It's gorgeous and I want it!

Elenna
July 9th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Silver hair can be so beautiful. Good luck on yours!

Siava
July 9th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Eee! :D I'm happy for you.

AerisDawn
July 9th, 2008, 05:40 PM
:happydance: Thanks everyone. I see I'm not alone in loving gray hair!

aprilmay
July 9th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I have at least one gray hair and probably have graduated to several. I was just chatting with a friend today about that and we agree they are part of maturing and they have been earned. I am proud of mine right now and hope that I continue to have a positive view about them as I age and get more!

TammySue
July 9th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Oh, enjoy all your silvers! I wish I would have let mine grow in years ago. Now I am loving it! :)

AerisDawn
July 9th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Oh, enjoy all your silvers! I wish I would have let mine grow in years ago. Now I am loving it! :) I've plucked a few in hopes that 3 more really would grow back in their place,lol.

I have at least one gray hair and probably have graduated to several. I was just chatting with a friend today about that and we agree they are part of maturing and they have been earned. I am proud of mine right now and hope that I continue to have a positive view about them as I age and get more!

That's exactly how I look at it. You should be proud of your grays.

aprilmay
July 19th, 2008, 09:50 PM
AerisDawn, I don't know how I would have felt if I would have started growing gray hairs earlier, but I am glad to be alive to have them. I want to grow old and enjoy life as it changes.

tinah
July 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
i feel like i've earned my few greys. my mother and uncle both have the silver temple thing going on . . . i can only hope to be so lucky.

spidermom
July 20th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I love my silvery hairs, too.

walkinglady
July 20th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I'm starting to get a few silvers also. They add shine to my hair so it is hard to dislike them!

Xandergrammy
July 20th, 2008, 09:46 AM
There's lots of us here who love silver/gray/white hair. I'm so happy to hear you're embracing yours instead of covering them up. It's something I wished I'd done when my first grays started appearing. I've been embracing mine for 2 years. I look forward to watching yours grow! :flowers:

Elizabeth
July 20th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I don't know about plucking them to increase their number, but finishing grad school seems to work miracles! LOL I started out with a streak of bright white hairs near my right temple, and now have them coming in everywhere. I look forward to having long white hair someday, it looks so much better than the Poodle Perm!

Elizabeth
July 20th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Just wanted to add that aprilmay's hair is beautiful!

NurseMama
July 20th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I love my grey! I call them my hair sparkles. I actually have quite a bit- mainly earmuffs.

What I hate is my mousy brown hair. See at heart, I am a redhead goshdarnit! I wish there was a way to henna the brown, but leave the greys. At least the henna makes the grey look like highlights ;)

sibilum
July 20th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I LOVE silver hair! Too bad mine will take a lot of time to get really silver (because of my genes), because I think it is stunning, really. Take a look at these for some inspiration!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/salamandra73/539.jpg

Another I found on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanna_stlaurent/1318016466/

There was another one I saw on Flickr before, but I can't find it again. She had beautiful silver hair down to her ankles, and she was also at a renaissance festival.

ole gray mare
July 20th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Yeah! Enjoy the journey. I had a couple of silvers in high school but they didn't really start to multiply until my early 20s. (I highly recommend having children if you want to increase the rate your hair turns gray!)

I really like my silvers, and look forward to having even longer hair.

Cheers,
OGM

Raederle
July 20th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I found I got primarily silvery without even realizing it. I wish I'd been more aware, but there you go. I still find individual strands that are pigmented, then silvery, then pigmented, then silvery again. It's like a porcupine quill.

Teazel
July 21st, 2008, 12:55 AM
I'm actually quite enjoying my silvers now. When I saw a photo my DH took the other day (a failed french twist: it's in my album) I was all, "Wow! That's pretty!" :eek: :o

Just as well I'm liking them, since they're coming in thick and fast. ;)

ladyshannonanne
July 21st, 2008, 01:13 AM
I think gray hair is beautiful. My mum went gray early and my dad, who is sixty, has yet to develop a single gray hair. (My dad has beautiful auburn, wavy hair that's half way down his back.) I have my dad's hair for the most part, so I probably won't go gray until I'm older, but even if I do, I'm not going to color it. I would love to have long gray hair someday!

DavidN
July 21st, 2008, 05:05 AM
I think that long silver hair is beautiful, and I am delighted, AerisDawn, that you are celebrating the natural way!

chainedangel
July 21st, 2008, 06:35 AM
I have a few grays. Unfortunately my hair is so darn thick and multi-tonal that nobody notices. I don't even see them unless I'm doing S&D. I'm hoping the silver fairy visits soon.

Xandergrammy
July 21st, 2008, 07:33 AM
There was another one I saw on Flickr before, but I can't find it again. She had beautiful silver hair down to her ankles, and she was also at a renaissance festival.

You do realize that I've been searching for this picture ever since you mentioned it! :tongue: Please post the link if you ever come across it again. Thanks! :flowers:

wintersun99
July 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM
I'm starting to get a few grays but I'm really not as upset about that as I thought I would be. People in my family tend to go gray early. My father's hair turned completely white by the time he was 20! I've decided not to color my grays because I think long silvery hair would be beautiful. Just thought I'd share that.

I think you're nuts! :D No, just kidding - I think long silvery hair is gorgeous too!

sibilum
July 21st, 2008, 01:04 PM
You do realize that I've been searching for this picture ever since you mentioned it! :tongue: Please post the link if you ever come across it again. Thanks! :flowers:

I found it!!! Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/morningstar1369/1833873158/in/pool-verylonghair

nappywomyn
July 21st, 2008, 01:06 PM
I can't wait to see my first grays! That'll be what causes me to stop henna'ing, I think. :agree:

danacc
July 26th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Yay!

I love the sparkles, too. I was seriously contemplating using henna. It brings such a host of benefits. My hair color is centered around a dark, walnut brown with red undertones that come out in bright sunlight, so the permanent color of henna wasn't scary for me. Then it occurred to me that of course my silver hairs were NOT walnut brown, and I would lose them. I'm not going to choose to do that!

aprilmay
July 28th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I am curious how the texture of my hair will change as it grays!

feralnature
July 28th, 2008, 11:57 PM
sibilum, thanks for the link, that is some beautiful long hair! I am growing my hair our silver too, the dyed red part will be cut off eventually. Around my face is white :)

Honestwitness
March 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Thank you for posting the links to the long-gray-haired ladies. Very inspiring, indeed! I've got the color, but not the length. But, I'm working on it.

Honestwitness

Spike
March 18th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Yay for flowing silver tresses! :cheese: :joy:

My "greys" started coming in during my mid-twenties as "blondes" and for a while I was concerned that I'd end up a ratty yellow little old lady (oh, please no!!!) :pray:

Fortunately they got the hint and shifted to silver. I have a witchlock starting on the left back, and a scattering throughout. I'm looking forward to getting some length (hint, hint, follicles, do you hear me???) so I can do updos, and as the greys come in, they'll become streaky updos. Fun!!!

As far as changing hair color without messing up the greys, I've been doing honey lightening (1T honey, 6T distilled water, 1T EVOO, 1T cinnamon) and the dark brown parts of my hair are getting lighter/redder, while the white bits phosphoresce. Very happy with the results.

spidermom
March 18th, 2009, 12:09 PM
On reviewing this thread, I realize that you can't really see the silver in my hair in my sig pic, so I'm attaching a picture that shows it better. I reallytruly love the color.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/nautilus.jpg

rags
March 18th, 2009, 12:15 PM
There are quite a few of us here who love our silvers! Mine began in my twenties also; by my late twenties I had a silver streak on both sides of my part, framing my face. I've now added lots more streaks, and I'm loving the natural highlights!

ratgirldjh
March 18th, 2009, 12:34 PM
i absolutely love silver hair! my mom had silver hair to her waist til she cut it at my sister's insistence and had it highlighted ash blonde. now she is growing it back and it is sooo beautiful!

i take after my mom (YAY!) and i have a lot of silver! i am 49 and regularly have compliments on my silver hair - and several of my friends have abandoned their hair coloring rituals so they can have silver hair too - after seeing mine and my moms :)

embrace it! silver is soooo pretty!

Katze
March 18th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Mine does not show up in photos, except a bit in my profile pic, but I've got about a 2 inch wide silver streak coming in at my part and I am LOVING it. I always wanted long silver hair, because I think it will suit my complexion and eye color well. And it will make me feel witchy, wild, and feral, even when I am older. :D

There seems to be a trend of more women going silver naturally, or maybe I am just more aware of them. Our midwife has a beautiful dark silver bob, what I'd call 'iron grey', and she wears a lot of black and has dark eyebrows and just looks elegant and dramatic.

yay for silver!

Anje
March 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I found it!!! Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/morningstar1369/1833873158/in/pool-verylonghair

I've seen that picture before... she's a member here!

I'm starting to let my few silvers come in, too, since I'd rather not have a line of demarcation one day. Grad school does seem an excellent way to get more of them, though.

mellie
March 19th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Yay! Embrace the silver! I've decided that I love mine too!! Here's my latest:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2381&pictureid=34359

You should join us over at the Salt & Pepper thread! It's a lot of fun over there! :D

paper
March 19th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Thats wonderful! Great attitude too. I'm growing out my dye and embracing my grays. :D

LadyLongLocks
March 19th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I have accepted my silvers. I will never dye.

Helen Baq
March 20th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I was so happy a few years ago to finally see a couple of white hairs coming in. I won't color my hair because of them. Now I have a streak starting at each temple! I'm glad to see other people love silver hair. I think it's beautiful and certainly looks better than dyed hair with grey or white roots.

I saw a woman at the symphony today that had long, wavy, waist length salt and pepper hair. It was so gorgeous! :D