PDA

View Full Version : My hair really, really loves 'cones! ): (Help!)

millyaulait
November 28th, 2011, 04:31 PM
My hair looks horrid without cone-filled shampoo. I used to use Kerastase & my hair looked incredible.. But now after a few months of using SLS & cone-free shampoo/conditioner my hair just looks really, really bad. It's dry, frizzy, limp & thin.

I have tried co-washing, no-'poo, oiling, washing it less, washing it more, etc. My hair must be in really bad shape!

So, maybe a change of shampoo/conditioner might help?

Does anyone use Tigi products? I know they have a 'S' range which is supposed to be nourishing & healthy. I think I need a miracle worker.. Any advice welcomed! x

Raiscake
November 28th, 2011, 04:36 PM
If your hair loves cones, don't fight it. Cones aren't necessarily a bad thing. :) My hair love cones too.

janeytilllie
November 28th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I agree ^. It best to use what makes your hair happy :). Cones and sulfates aren't evil. My hair was breaking alot more without cones.

My hair has become stronger and better using cones and sulfates.

SunnyRainStorm
November 28th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Silicone shampoos and conditioners are just fine if your hair does well with them. Mine does. What works best for me is to rotate between them and silicone-free to avoid buildup. I have found Silicone-free makes my hair softer but silicone-based makes my hair sleek and shiny. Just do what is best for you. Balance is the key, I think.

Zesty
November 28th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Use them. If your hair isn't in "bad shape" otherwise, then just because it's not looking its best on a cone and SLS-free regimen doesn't mean it's necessarily damaged (and if it IS damaged and you have a lot of splits, etc., then you can use cones to baby it until you can cut the damage off). I recently decided to go back to 'cones, and I went back to sulfates after fighting it for a while. So just do what works for you and your hair -- you don't have to take everything on LHC as set in stone.

vanillabones
November 28th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I could never go without cones. I tired when I first joined LHC and my hair was a nightmare and I ended up S&Ding half of it off... it was horrible and dry and velcro. I love cones, but I am paranoid of buildup. I use an SLS free shampoo even though my hair loves sulphates... I want to be more gentle, and the shampoos I use are organic and have no cones. I use a coney conditioner and a coney detangler leave-in and clarify every 1-2 weeks. It works great for me, and a lot of fine haired people feel the same :)

coffinhert
November 28th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I use aloe vera gel to get the slippy shine of cones. I put it in my hair at the end of hte shower, then rinse it half out.

Amber_Maiden
November 28th, 2011, 04:55 PM
My hair loves cones. I can't go without! Maybe switch back?

lillylonghair
November 28th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I have tried cone free for the last year or so and have finally given up even trying. I end up spending money on tons of different products when all my hair wants is a good dose of coney goodness.

I now currently use Paul Mitchell Tea tree line. I use the lavender/mint conditioning stuff and then paul mitchell conditioning serum after wards. I do still use some naturals and things (love NB Panacea,coconut oil,and aloe vera).But my hair just feels so much better now.

Anywhere
November 28th, 2011, 06:40 PM
If your hair loves cones, use 'em. Just make sure to clarify every once in a while to remove buildup.

DonyaleM
November 28th, 2011, 06:48 PM
My hair loves cones.... I tried the CG method and it didn't work for me. I think cones get a bad rap...if your hair responds well to them...use them!

Mairéad
November 28th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Haha, no need to help someone who has found what works for their hair. :D
I think we need to post a memo that -cones aren't inherently bad.

RapunzelKat
November 28th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I am new, so I can only speak from personal experience, but I've been using a cone based leave-in detangler for several years now. My hair loves it and still looks great. I've made a couple attempts to change to something else in the past, but anything else either weighs my fine hair down, or leaves it impossible to comb out.

dulce
November 28th, 2011, 10:17 PM
My hair does best with cones-much less tangles and much less frizz and more shine!I have used them for years with no build up issues and no need to clarify.When I first joined here, switched to a all natural no cones ,sulphate free shampoo and conditioner.Had to go back,my hair did NOT do well.Lots of people don't like cones and it doesn't seem to work well for them ,but there are some like me, that that is what's best for my hair.Find what works for you,and do that and don't worry what everyone else is doing!

mz_grim
November 28th, 2011, 10:52 PM
My hair also likes cones, tried cone free and my hair was a tangled mess and once the tangles were removed it was always limp and got oily way to quick. I have now gone back to using cones and like the feel of my hair again and I have managed to stretch washes back out to 6 or 7 days.

Alias
November 29th, 2011, 06:54 AM
I just don't see why you need help. What's bad about cones? I use cones (like a bunch of people on this forum) and I'm doing just fine. And your hair loves it, soo... :)

jojo
November 29th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Why are you unhappy that your hair likes cones? if your hair does well with them, then use them! many menmber spend years trying to figure out what their likes; you found out pretty early on. Cones are not the evil in hair growing and offer protection and slip; I love cones and my hair is in pretty good condition!

ericthegreat
November 29th, 2011, 10:56 AM
If your hair loves cones, then by all means go back to them! We all have to do whatever works for us personally. For some people, their hair simply doesn't like the buildup that they get from cones, and their hair does better without them. But for other people, their hair loves cones and the cones give their hair nice slip and detangling. You are apparently in the second camp of people, and that is just fine. Just remember, you will most probably need a decent sulfate shampoo to properly wash your hair so that those cones don't buildup too much in your hair.

Rivanariko
November 29th, 2011, 10:57 AM
My hair freaks out if I use anything cone-free. Embrace the coney-goodness if it's what your hair loves! Many of us on here have used them for years with no ill affects. I've been told that the transition to cone-free can take months before your hair is totally used to it, but I think I would go crazy and shave my head at the end of a week trying to use that stuff. My hair tangles and breaks and falls out in handfuls. No thank you!

Use the cones!

spidermom
November 29th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I think cones ARE miracle workers. I usually use cone-free shampoo and conditioner because I don't want an overload of cones, but I love my CHI Silk Infusion coney serum and use it about once per week.

SimplyViki
November 29th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I love cones.

I hereby give you the blessing of the cones. Go forth and use them! Just remember to clarify every now and then.

Nerine
September 26th, 2013, 10:05 PM
I stopped using cones about a good five years ago because I had read about how bad they were, and it made me super paranoid. Well, this morning I used some John Frieda conditioner that my mom had laying around for a while, and BAM! My hair was practically frizz & tangle-free all day. Smooth, shiny & soft to the touch. Since the conditioner was the only thing that I changed for my hair care routine, it HAD to be the cones in it. No wonder my hair has been dry, frizzy, rough & more breakable the past few years! And stupid me didn't even think that it had anything to do with cones...xD I just thought that my hair had changed or I had damaged it too much with blow-dryers and mechanical damage. Well anyways, I think I'm hooked on cones now. My hair just seems to love them and behave the way I want it to. So I'm going to start looking for different coney conditioners to see which one works the best for me. :)
So yeah, I would say don't fight something that your hair loves. Do what's best for you!