PDA

View Full Version : Washing methods and growth

tanpopokitty
November 28th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I've noticed that some people on the boards have observed different washing methods to wield different growth results. Do you feel this is true for you? If so, which washing method do you think helps your growth the most?

As for me, my hair grows so slowly I don't notice anything at all.

jacqueline101
November 28th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I used to be in that boat and I found that using mane n tail poo and condish works. I wash my hair weekly and I use mane n tail condish as a leave in along with my monistat that has fueled my growth. Monistat works for my hair. I also oil my ends and use a comb instead of a brush and cheap detangler works well. I use the detangler for finger combing as well. I love it and all I use is generic Family Dollar brand detangler.

Madora
November 28th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I used the George Michael products for decades but I believe your washing method outweighs what you put on your hair.

I devised a method of shampooing and conditioning that keeps tangles to a minimum and thus cuts down on shedding.

The gentler you handle your hair thru the entire cleansing (and drying) processes, the more it will benefit the health of your tresses in the long term.

janeytilllie
November 28th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I use to be sulfate free, cone free and only wash my hair once a week. My scalp was not a happy scalp :( It would itch, be greasy and felt gunky.

I now wash 2 x a week with Head and Shoulders, use coney conditioners and coney detanglers/leave ins. My scalp is now very happy and clean.

My hair is growing very fast. I believe by learning what my hair and scalp needs has helped alot. I need sulfates to cleanse my scalp and cones to help protect and detangle my hair.

I'm also very gentle washing my hair keeping knots and tangles down. I never pile my hair up or use my nails on my scalp. I do gentle massges to help blood flow to the scalp.

It's best to experiment and find what your scalp and hair need. Everyone is different. A happy scalp, protected hair and a routine that works for you = fast growing hair :)

Piyo
November 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I don't know if this will help, but my hair never seemed to grow very fast in high school and the first year of college. I was more of a tomboy and didn't wash my hair too often or give it a lot of attention. Now it seems like more frequent washes with scalp massages really stimulated growth, but it could have been some other factors too.

Mina17
November 28th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I definitely see a difference in growth depending on washing methods. If my scalp is not washed frequently with shampoo my growth slows down noticeably. I use mostly sulfate free shampoo and CWC to protect my length as much as I can but I do need to use sulfates every few washes to keep my scalp happy. My hair has always grown pretty fast but slowed down practically to a standstill when I tried COing and stretching washes. Since I've gone back to washing with shampoo it has been growing much faster.

Amber_Maiden
November 28th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I don't notice any difference with washing methods, though my scalp is happier when it's shampooed.

sun-kissed
November 28th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I have not been growing my hair long enough to notice any patterns indicating why my hair grows or not, it just does...

Over the last six months I've gone from washing daily with shampoo to washing weekly with CO or WO. The transition was horrid, but now that it's over my hair is the best it's looked since I hit my teens. My scalp's happier and healthier than it ever was when I washed daily, and the amount of damage done to my fine hair has decreased INCREDIBLY as a result of me not towel drying and combing daily.

As for what the infrequent washing is doing in terms of the actual amount of growth from the scalp, I have no idea. I just know that my hair is wonderful now, and the damage is slowly starting to decrease as a result of my minimal and gentle handling.

laceyfairy
November 28th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I like the CWC method. I use two conditioners. First I use Everyday Shea, then I use a sulfate-free, cone-free shampoo, and I end with a light conditioner from Trader Joe's. My hair seems to have grown faster than when I shampooed then conditioned.

RapunzelKat
November 28th, 2011, 11:02 PM
The main thing that seems to have helped my hair is stretching washes. My hair seems to be happiest when washed twice a week - it feels stronger and is less static-y. Also, I have noticed that with fewer washes per week my hair seems well moisturized without being greasy. I'm not sure how much it has affected my rate of growth, but it has certainly made it stronger so I've had less breakage.

DancingQueen
November 29th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I found out my hair feels best with washing every three days. If I stretch to four, it gets horribly greasy, and growing slows down a lot. I guess it is as RapunzelKat says, it feels moisturized without feeling greasy with three days. However, my hair is naturally very dry, so it might not be the key for you. I say experiment until you find out what works for you. :)

McFearless
November 29th, 2011, 08:57 PM
To be honest my hair grew faster when I was using SLS. But it dries out my hair and I'm much rather have healthy hair.

milagro
November 29th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I think my hair grows slightly slower with CO routine than it did before, but my hair&scalp condition is much much better so I'm patient :)

julya
November 29th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I think washing once or twice a week helps reduce my shedding (as compared to stretching washes to more than one week apart). I haven't noticed any difference with respect to my growth rate though.

summergreen
November 30th, 2011, 05:25 AM
My hair definitely grows faster if I wash it more often - as piyo said, it could be the massaging effect - but it also sheds more when I wash it more.

ohhiitssteph
November 30th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Now that it has gotten much healthier, my hair is growing super fast! The last time I colored it was back in June, and since then I have at least four more inches of growth; I can see it in my roots :D Luckily my dyed color and my natural color aren't very far off, so the roots aren't actually terribly noticeable haha.

I follow the CG method since sulfates and 'cones just do not have a good effect on my hair. I USED to Co-Wash, but as my layers have gotten longer it makes me terribly flat on top, so I've had to switch to shampooing with a sulfate-free 'poo. It works just as well, though! I mix a little conditioner into my shampoo and massage my scalp with it and I definitely think it stimulates hair growth a lot.

For my extraordinarily dry hair, the biggest things that help growth have been not using harsh sulfates and using extremely moisturizing products when washing.

Gothchiq
November 30th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Not growth per se, but quite possibly less breakage, leading to faster accumulation of length. Using the gentlest shampoo I can get my hands on every third day is my method.