PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the most flattering or most accurate sigpic?

Annibelle
November 28th, 2011, 06:33 AM
So I know that lots of us use length shots for our sigpics. I was just wondering who chooses to use a photo that is very flattering (like bringing hair to a V shape if you have tapered ends) and who uses one that is more accurate, even if it's not that flattering. I have used both types, but I think I'm going to, from now on, use what's most accurate. :) That doesn't mean I'll pick the ugliest photo, because that's not necessarily most accurate (I hope!), but I'm going to avoid wearing black shirts in sigpics now because that always makes my hair look thicker at the ends. :) If I'm going to get any hair comments, I'd like to make sure they're based on an accurate representation of my hair! You know?

So... most flattering or most accurate? Which do you prefer? :pumpkin:

Cania
November 28th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I don't have any proper pics for my sig yet, so I had to vote cheese! But I'd rather use the most accurate. How else will I benefit from all the advice I came here to get? ;)

Annibelle
November 28th, 2011, 06:49 AM
That's exactly how I feel, Cania. :)

slz
November 28th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Neither ! I'm using (and will always even if I change) a pic for its aesthetics value, not its informative value (of reality or what I wish would be reality).
Thus, a braid pic /closeup, this kind of thing. anybody interested in more representative pics is welcome to look at my albums :D.

Altocumulus
November 28th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I picked cheese because my sig photo is several years out of date!

pinupdancer
November 28th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I don't have any proper pics for my sig yet, so I had to vote cheese! But I'd rather use the most accurate. How else will I benefit from all the advice I came here to get? ;)

I am in the same exact boat. :) Hopefully sometime this week I'll get a good length shot.

Alaia
November 28th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I picked cheese because I don't currently have one.

I would like to have a nice creative one so may even go for the one I have from about 2008 where my hair was slightly henna red and curly from damp bunning. It's one of my favourite hair pictures, even though it wasn't intended as a hair picture!

Other than that I'd probably not pick a body shot for my own signature pic. A braid maybe or loose hair without showing my body maybe. Don't know.

Yozhik
November 28th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I voted for cheese! :cheese:

As you can see, while my siggie does display hair; it's certainly not mine (although I would love to have a braid that long and thick). ;)

GuinevereMay
November 28th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I just picked a pretty updo. My avatar is two years out of date, but I still love the picture, so up it stays.

Annibelle
November 28th, 2011, 08:09 AM
If I had such a pretty bun, GuinevereMay, I'd probably use it as my sigpic, too! :) That's a rose bun, right? If so, those have always been my favorite! <3

GuinevereMay
November 28th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Yep, that's a Rose Bun. I think they look so pretty, too.

LaceyNg
November 28th, 2011, 08:17 AM
i picked most accurate, although my siggy pic isnt if hair. i'm waiting till my hair's in better shape before i use it as a siggy pic :) as for my avatar photo, i DID purposely not update it w/ my most current length shot b/c the shot wasnt at all flattering. i did post the shot in my album though! so maybe i get 1/2 credit? ;)

MasCat
November 28th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I'm too old to use a siggypic :)

As in "I used usenet and having a sig. longer than 4 lines was a "no no" there" ;))))

racrane
November 28th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I try to pick both, I suppose. But I'm terrible with taking photos by myself and it's a phone, not a camera. So the results are not great either way.

I do try to give an idea, though.

uptosomeone
November 28th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Cheese :D I don't have one, and probably won't until my hair has gained more length.

Mairéad
November 28th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I usually pick sigpics when I reach little milestones. I'm pretty sure I'll be showing length soon but right now the big thing of the month is I can get it up into something!

I'd choose more accurate photos, though I guess I'd probably pick somewhere in between. If my hair looks better in real life than in a photo I've taken of it I'll try again. :D

Nymphea
November 28th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I should have picked cheese, because I don't have siggy pic, but if I'd have it, I think it would be the most accurate one which is also less or more flattering. :o

BabyRay33
November 28th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I don't have one, I haven't taken photos lately because they were making me freak out about the dreaded BSL to waist SLLLLLOOOOWDOWN.

But when I get a bit longer, I'll take an accurate one.

Vanille_
November 28th, 2011, 09:03 AM
If I used one, it would be the prettiest one I could find.

spidermom
November 28th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Since I keep my ends trimmed to be on the thicker side, all my length pictures are flattering AND accurate.

RapunzelKat
November 28th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Well, I am still too much of a newbie to have a sig pic, but to be completely honest I will most likely pick a flattering one :)

I might go for a rose bun, like GuinivereMay has. I just learned to do those and I think they are so beautiful.

Anje
November 28th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Voted cheese. My old sig pic was relatively flattering. Not accurate in that it was loose and freshly combed, which it isn't 95&#37; of the time. Also, the dark shirt really helped my hair look thick....

Amber_Maiden
November 28th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I think if I used one, It would probably be the most flattering and accurate! BOTH!

pepperminttea
November 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I don't really have any 'accurate' photos of my hair. :p I always comb while my hair's damp, and clarifying without using conditioner afterwards (as in hair-typing) is not an option if I want to be able to detangle it, so my true hairtype is very rarely seen. They're accurate to the length, assuming they're relatively recent (the current one is from last month), but never to the type because that's never how I wear my hair. :shrug: I also don't wear my hair loose that often, so I guess you could call my sig inaccurate for that too, but when I do wear it loose it's always with braidwaves as in the photo. :)

ElusiveMuse
November 28th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I think mine is both. Obviously it's a romanticized photo and the hipstamatic effect is flattering to my skin, but you would recognize me from the pic if you met me in person. I'd totally wear a flower headpiece every day if I could!

Avital88
November 28th, 2011, 10:31 AM
i change it alot, i like to keep it accurate..:)

xoxophelia
November 28th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I'm not sure how to answer this... I tried to get a picture of my natural wave and that showed there is some color difference I am growing out/was the closest to how the color looks irl that I could get. So.. somewhat flattering but realistic.

Mine was styled in a similar way to how a hairtyping photo would be which is more towards realistic I guess? To me it would seem a little weird to have my sig pic be one with bun waves, waves from curlers, or straightened. That wouldn't be the real character of my hair.. you know?

marzipanthecat
November 28th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Ah, my photo was taken in March 2009, so it is very out of date.

I just like it.

Mountaingrrl
November 28th, 2011, 10:54 AM
My hair is freshly washed and conditioned in my current sigpic. It's not styled at all, just air-dried, so it's not inaccurate -- but not exactly representative, either, as much of the time my hair is worn up, or gets curlier and looks shorter, or gets a frizz halo ....

janeytilllie
November 28th, 2011, 11:01 AM
My siggy pic is of my furbabies :heartbeat
My avatar is somewhat accurate but is more towards Most flattering. My hair looks like that on good days but on bad hair days it can get frizzy.

It is my favourite picture of my hair. It helps remind me on my bad hair days that my hair will become right again :)

Mayflower
November 28th, 2011, 11:23 AM
It's just a picture of my head so the focus is not really on my hair haha, I even took it on a not-the-best-hairday so it is accurate.
The photos in my album are both, I guess. I think I would use flash if I was after very flattering pictures. But I rather give an accurate idea of how my hair looks, even if its more frizzy and poofy than most of you guy's hair:). I like it that way though, not gonna lie!

ladonna
November 28th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I keep my avatar pic even thought my hair isn't that long anymore so that I remember not to neglect my hair and it's my inspiration to keep it growing.

iszolda111
November 28th, 2011, 02:20 PM
my hair is nothing to look at yet, i took a picture of it the other night for an avatar and it just looked pathetic lol. so i will keep flattering (or atleast i think) pics of it where it isnt the focus until I have more hair. lol

WaterMusic
November 28th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I just picked a pretty updo. My avatar is two years out of date, but I still love the picture, so up it stays.

I love your siggy. If you ever change it, I will be sad. It's just so shiny!

jacqueline101
November 28th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I tried to put accurate pics but my computer crashed and now I only have a few left. My phone isn't the best source for photos.

Carolyn
November 28th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I go for pics that make my hair look it's best. I don't really care about accuracy. Once in a while I'll post something more accurate in my blog. Anything unflattering is deleted from my camera before I download pics to my computer.

Yame
November 28th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Well, I think mine is both flattering and accurate ;)

Cirafly24
November 28th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I don't have a sig pic, but if I did, it would be flattering :) Accuracy can be found in my albums.

Quixii
November 28th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I voted flattering. Mostly just because I've had my signature picture for almost two years and it's just a personal favourite. I had put effort into making it look nice for a special event, got a ton of compliments then, and continue to get compliments on here. :) It's not that it's unaccurate, as my hair actually hasn't grown much and I just used more gel and stuff to encourage what's already there, but I reserve the super-accurate, showing my length at the moment type pictures for my album. :)

PixxieStix
November 28th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I voted cheese because I currently don't have a sig pic! BUT, when I get around to it (some time after getting a new camera cord so I can download photos again), I will likely pick the most flattering photos I can, because really, you want to show it off when it is looking good right? :D On the other hand, they will also likely be very accurate. I wear my hair down a lot because while it is at shoulder, it's on the thicker side and I can't put it up into much yet. But yeah, I want a sig pic that makes me like looking at my hair really so I don't get fed up and whack it all off.

EdG
November 28th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I really do look like my signature picture when I'm time traveling browsing LHC. :D
Ed

Raiscake
November 29th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Mine is one of my favorite updos. I guess it's most flattering because I do think this updo looks good on me. My avatar is several years outdated.

holothuroidea
November 29th, 2011, 07:06 AM
My signature picture is neither accurate nor flattering. :D

I took that picture with my very shoddy webcam after a clarifying wash and air drying. I say it's inaccurate because the color is really deceptive, my natural color is ashy and the gray lighting completely washes it out. My hair has also grown an inch since then but I planned on taking a picture once a month for a length shot and that's what I'm going to do. Expect a better picture come December, I'm not going to use my webcam next time.

ETA: It's accurate now. :D

UltraBella
November 29th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I picked cheese, because my sig pic is of my face. I just use whatever picture I like at the time. My sig used to be my hair, but I got tired of it and changed it up.

Annibelle
November 29th, 2011, 07:35 AM
If I had a face like yours, UltraBella, I'd probably use it as my sigpic, too. ;)

Mannaz
November 29th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I picked my signature pic because it's pretty and it shows my one dread :)

I really like it, though it could be smaller, I feel like I'm hogging space :P

I'm really bad at taking photos of the back of my head, that's the main reason why i don't have a decent length shot even in my albums... When I get a trim I'll ask my cousin who'll be doing the trimming to take a before and after photo.

Vanilla
November 29th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I voted accurate. Since I'm new, I wanted to show the texture, length and color of my hair to everyone.

GeoJ
November 29th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I chose most flattering (although I could have also chosen cheese because my sig pic is from when I first joined). I chose that photo based on how it looked. Back then it wasn't too far off from reality- the only difference was that my ends would puff out more and separate a bit, but I made sure they were together in the photo.

My sig photo is very inaccurate now. Then: classic length with not much taper and a somewhat full hemline. Now: Post shed- knee length with plenty of taper and thin from BSL down to knee. I've been debating putting a new accurate photo there, but I'll have to take new photos first. I usually do an honest (nothing to flatter the hair) length shot on the first of February each year. Maybe this winter I'll use it for my sig pic. I've got the honest photos in my album for now.

girlcat36
November 29th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Funny, I just saw this thread and just minutes before had changed my siggy pic to one I took today while wearing a black shirt! I took the picture to document a change in my routine, and I happened to be wearing a black shirt. The picture came out so flattering I decided to make it my siggy. I do feel like I'm cheating, though.....
My album pics contain the good, the bad, and the ugly.

ange1ito
November 29th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I picked cheese because there is more to me than just my hair ;)

Roseate
November 29th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Cheese! My signature picture is flattering, but it's more inspirational than descriptive: that's the hair I had before I cut it off, before coming to LHC.

So it's more a reminder to me to keep going than an accurate description of my current hair.

BeccaAngel
November 29th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I voted flattering, or its really more like whatever I'm in the mood for. as you can see, i like doing sig pics by holidays too. :)

julliams
November 30th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Mine is just crazy action hair that makes me smile. I don't think it's flattering and it's only accurate if I go throwing my head around. It's also old. My avatar on the other hand was the best hair day I had of my life. I'm not prepared to let that one go yet.

Rhodugune
November 30th, 2011, 05:58 AM
I would like to say that I use the most accurate of pics and that's what I chose to answer. :D
Usually I take my monthly pic when my hair is newly washed, brushed and I often put a little bit of coconutoil in it and if that is going over the top in trying to show it at it's best, then I admit that I choose the most flattering one. :o

Firefly
November 30th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Doesn't really apply to my current sig, but I choose the most flattering, always. It would be depressing to constantly have to look at a photo I thought was unflattering every time I posted!

Becky9679
November 30th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I voted most accurate - recently I've started using a comparison for my signature with the length my hair used to be next to my monthly photo. I try to get my monthly photos as accurate as possible but I usually do take more than one and choose the one that has the best trade off between accurate and looking good :D

jojo
November 30th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I go for the most accurate photo, is it me but finding a flattering photo myself is so hard, unless I grab my daughter to take one for me; hence why i change them so often :D

2peasinapod
November 30th, 2011, 09:56 AM
When I put my hair pic in my signature, I went for both! Of course, I chose the most flattering (in my view, at least), but my hair does look like that, too after being washed, clarified, air dried and freshly oiled.

Chamy
December 1st, 2011, 12:42 PM
I just use what picture i have at hand. Im really too lazy, i can never be bothered to take a good looking picture.

Madora
December 1st, 2011, 01:46 PM
I never bothered with a signature pic, but if I had, I would have chosen a clear, flattering pic of an updo over an accurate length shot. My eyesight isn't the greatest and I just find it easier to appreciate updos when the picture area is small.

see_turtle
December 1st, 2011, 06:05 PM
I find my sig pic flattering to my hair but not my body...My hair is shiny and calm but I am a tubster . I'll be taking a new length shot this month and I will probably update it then. I try to make my hair behave for length shots so hopefully it will be flattering.

Jean Stuart
December 1st, 2011, 06:20 PM
I change it often. When I learn a new bun or have a new toy.

laceyfairy
December 1st, 2011, 07:39 PM
I'm too new to have a sig pic. My hair is still very short so I guess I'd say accurate, in the hopes that it will grow to the point of looking nice too.

owlathena
December 1st, 2011, 08:02 PM
I said "most flattering" but really I would choose a balance between flattering and accurate.

Jing
December 2nd, 2011, 08:26 AM
Cheese. My sig is my progress tracker, so whatever my hair looks like on the seventh on each month (when I take my progress shot) is what goes there, though I don't update it religiously.

Chromis
December 2nd, 2011, 08:40 AM
I take tons of photos, so it is easy for me to pick both flattering and accurate. I keep my sig pic somewhat up to date, though the colour changes wildly based on lighting and my henna always fades back to brown eventually. (It might be permanent for some people, but my hair never got the memo no matter how expensive the henna.)

My avatar pic is very out of date, but I like the updo and I am lazy. I feel accomplished just changing my sig pic every year or so!

moxamoll
December 2nd, 2011, 08:43 AM
I think if I used one, It would probably be the most flattering and accurate! BOTH!

THIS! I don't have on yet, but I haven't had time to get DBF to take a ton of photos so I can pick one that's both.

Well, I think mine is both flattering and accurate ;)
I have to pause and admire every time I see that photo! For the longest time I thought it was just a pretty picture with a model that you like - then I figured out that it was you! I'm so envious!

If I had a face like yours, UltraBella, I'd probably use it as my sigpic, too. ;)
Me three!

longhairedlady
December 2nd, 2011, 08:46 AM
Both! It has to be accurate so I can keep track of my progress, but I gotta look good! :cool:

PlainLight
December 2nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
I don't have a sig pic yet, but my avatar picture is just my bun and my fancy headcovering, backlit. I used it because I thought it looked pretty, so I guess that's flattering. :) When I do get around to putting something in my signature it might be an accurate length shot or maybe just a detail picture.

luxepiggy
December 2nd, 2011, 03:06 PM
I voted "most flattering" since I obsess over shine the way others do over length, and I definitely used the shiniest available pigsigpic (^(oo)^)v

Maraz
December 2nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
I cropped mine so people would see my hair and not my giant behind, so I have to vote most flattering!