PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to get waves back?

x-x-tori-x-x
November 27th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I've been looking around for a while to try see how to go about doing this but no one seems to give me a good answer so I figured I may as well try here. When i was thirteen my hair was at its longest its ever been (BSL) and it was pretty wavy- like big loose waves (I never heat style I just used to brush my hair with the brush a little wet) then I went through a phase when I had pretty short hair, and throughout being fifteen I had a pixie cut. Anyway I'm sixteen now and have been growing my hair out for about half a year and its all one length and its pretty straight- its got a bit of volume at the front and waves a bit but other than that its straight. I need to get my hair trimmed soon and I was wondering if there was anything I could ask the hairdresser for to get my waves back.... I dont know if you get what I mean but anyway if anyone knows what I mean- :)

lapushka
November 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I think there's nothing you can do. Some waves need lots of length to show up, 1a/b/c's even more than 2a/b/c's. Let it grow, that's all you can really do. :flower:

Aerin
November 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM
It might just be the length that you're at right now. When I was in high school, I cut my hair to pixie thinking that my really nice spirals would make for a cute curl-head...but my hair refused to curl at all at that length. It took until I was a bit below chin for the curls to really reform.

Not sure that there is anything a hairdresser could do, but you might try different leave ins to help promote your waviness. I really like the Kimberlilly's leave in spray (recipe is somewhere on this site). My hair goes from a little bit of curl to fairly defined curl with it.

chou
November 27th, 2011, 10:12 AM
It's probably the length--it's still too short to express your full wave pattern. My hair didn't really wave until it was right below chin. Your hair type could also just be changing with age. I had straight hair until I was 19 at which point it started to become curly.
One product you could try is amla. It's an acidic, conditioning Indian powder for hair. You can make a paste or rinse with it and apply it to your hair. It always makes my waves pattern curlier and more defined. Amla oil does not have the same effect as amla powder.

Avital88
November 27th, 2011, 10:16 AM
dont brush your hair until its completely dry, if i brush my hair while wet its also straighter..
i second that you probably need some more length for it to start showing again.

spidermom
November 27th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I agree with most; hang in there and keep growing. Your wave pattern may require more length.

Nae
November 27th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Sometimes if you are using cones in your shampoo or conditioner it can straighten out waves. It certainly does for me. But I agree that your wave pattern might not show up well unless you get some more length.

jacqueline101
November 27th, 2011, 10:44 AM
You need to grow it out and wait for the waves to show up in mean time you could use foam rollers.

jojo
November 27th, 2011, 12:10 PM
it may also be at 13 you was going through the beginings of puberty and the rush of hormones made your hair wavier. I know during puberty and pregnancy my hair went from wavy to very curly. My hair is more a 2b now but it is getting wavier of late the longer it gets, see if length brings you waves back.

coffinhert
November 27th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Make sure your hairdresser doesn't cut too much off. Bring a picture to show her and be pretty firm. I think you need the length to get the waves back too. My hair has long waves and they didn't show at all until my hair was pretty long.

Avoid products with silicones in them.

Make sure your hair is quite moisturized - but make sure to read the ingredients! Shampooing the length of your hair can mess with the waves too, if you do shampoo, just shampoo your scalp and keep conditioner on your length so it doesn't get dried out.

Don't brush your hair as it is drying out, maybe just finger comb it or use a wide-tooth comb while it's still dripping wet.

Oiling my hair makes it wavier and curlier, you could read some of the threads here about oiling and see if you like it. Basically I put a few drops of coconut or olive oil in my palm, rub it around, then rub it through the ends (but not near my scalp) while my hair is still pretty wet. This seals in the moisture.

Getting a trim might help your hair slide into it's wave pattern. I foudn that if my ends were damaged, they would stick together, and the hairs wouldn't be able to slide against each other into the curl.

KwaveT
November 27th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I concur on your hair needing more length to show any wave. My hair which is naturally wavy was still straight at your length. As my hair started traveling down my neck it started to wave up.

w/o freak
November 27th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I agree with jojo that it could very possibly be hormonal. I had loose curls as a child, then board straight hair all through my teens. My curls have come back since and get more defined with each child I have.