PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid hair(dying) thoughts and opinons?

LovingLife
November 27th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I'm wondering what you guys think of them :)
They're very beautiful to me but I wonder if they would be an issue or if you got bored you'd have to chop 5 inches off :)
Anyways what do you guys think?
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luzygpCVZW1qdaw8eo1_500.jpg
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luzlcmRLiA1qc1bxbo1_500.jpg

LovingLife
November 27th, 2011, 07:41 AM
More pictures:
http://1.media.haircrazy.info/photos/gallery/2008/08/13/026_t_w500_h500.JPG
http://stardustandsequins.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/mermaid-hair.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Eu7hoFyyaeo/S9P9baFsKLI/AAAAAAAAACg/Gx51t9XFES0/s1600/2ymcc93.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/1zclnc3.jpg

Madora
November 27th, 2011, 08:34 AM
All that loose hair would be an instant invitation to Tangle City!

Also, I don't know how damaging that dye color would be either.

If you're into flowing locks, then chuck the coloring.

Amber_Maiden
November 27th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I agree with Madora. That dying would cause so much damage... It doesn't look healthy to me. If you want long heathy hair, you kind of have to stop dying... Some people can get away with dying for awhile, but long term I think it really wrecks/ and weakens the hair.

Maverick494
November 27th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Personally I hate it. It looks like growing out very contrasting hair dye. The dyed part also has the tendency to look dead. Whenever I encounter a person who has done this to their hair I cannot help but think "chop it off, it looks dead!" But that is just my opinion. Not trying to be rude, just honest.

silverjen
November 27th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I think it's cute! But it doesn't match my long term hair goals, so it's not something I'm likely to do.

VikingVampChick
November 27th, 2011, 09:12 AM
They're very beautiful to me but I wonder if they would be an issue or if you got bored you'd have to chop 5 inches off :)
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luzygpCVZW1qdaw8eo1_500.jpg

I like these 2, especially the 2nd one. They're more subtle than the others & not as big a loss to chop it off due to damage or tired of it.

ouseljay
November 27th, 2011, 09:17 AM
If it's done well I like the look. There's someone around here (can't remember her name, I'm afraid) who has or had the last few inches of her hair purple, and it looks great. But it has to look healthy, if the ends are fried it ends up looking a little sad.

UltraBella
November 27th, 2011, 09:26 AM
The last picture that was linked, the gal with the very bright fuchsia hair - it's not dyed. That's makeup. Any bright eyeshadow will work but mat without shimmer is best.
That's also why the colored hair tends to look so dry, the powder rubbed into it absorbs moisture and hair looks cotton candyish, but it's only temporary until the makeup is washed out.

Ravenwind
November 27th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I think it can be really pretty if it's done right. It's just like ombre hair but with colors. But I think it can only really look best on hair that's bleached, even though that's completely damaging.

chelshireling
November 27th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I think it looks really awesome. You would probably have to bleach your hair unless its already really light blonde in order to get that bright color. Of course that would mean damage but if you just do a few inches at the bottom you can always cut it off without too much problem. I say go for it!

ladyfey
November 27th, 2011, 09:57 AM
It looks like it is growing mold to me!

DarleneH
November 27th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Couldn't you use some colored clip-in extensions attached to the under layers of your hair?

Yame
November 27th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I think it's cute! I did something similar many, many years ago during my freshman year of high school. I bleached the lower half of my hair (just the top layer) and then dyed it red. My hair was around shoulder length then.

It actually didn't damage my hair too badly, but my hair is fairly resilient, I think. but then when I got sick of it, and dyed everything black, the black on the parts that had been bleached would fade quickly and become lighter and redder than the rest of my hair... that part also felt somewhat different due to the slight damage.

If your hair is already light and you wouldn't need to bleach it, I'd say go for it. You can probably get a color that fades, just in case. If your hair is darker, you will have to give some serious thought about whether or not you want to risk bleach damage.

Yame
November 27th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Couldn't you use some colored clip-in extensions attached to the under layers of your hair?

OR this :)

ravenreed
November 27th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I have been thinking of doing something like that. My hair is currently dyed with demi-permanent burgundy. It isn't very damaging. I have been thinking of bleaching just the bottom few inches so that the demi will show up as pink. Yeah, it will damage the hair, but since it is only the last few inches, I am not overly concerned. Worst case scenario, I trim a bit off. I think I will wait until I hit my goal length first.

Achtland
November 27th, 2011, 10:07 AM
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu...aw8eo1_500.jpg (http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luzygpCVZW1qdaw8eo1_500.jpg)

I hope my hair eventually looks like this naturally as I am growing out some natural vs. highlighted hair color :)

slz
November 27th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Yeah, it will damage the hair, but since it is only the last few inches, I am not overly concerned. Worst case scenario, I trim a bit off. I think I will wait until I hit my goal length first.
This - I contemplated the idea of dying the last 10 inches green or blue,, I knew of course it was going to cause some damage, but wasn't overly concerned since who cares about the last 10 inches, I could just trim them off when I don't like it anymore. But then the biggest problem was to be able to bleach in a straight line on my own, which I was sure I'd never be able to, so I just forgot the idea. Until a year ago when I decided dying the upper part (roots) would probably look just as fine as dying the lower part (ends). But it came from the same desire, to have part of my hair dyed a brght colour, but not the whole of it.
All this to say, I love it :D .

jacqueline101
November 27th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I don't think I would want hair make up in my hair I'm afraid it would dry my hair. I don't want my hair that long but if you do go for it.

MandyBeth
November 27th, 2011, 11:26 AM
When I am not playing professional, it's easy enough to do similar coloring with Special Effects or Punky colors. My hair is darkish, so the light colors don't work. Not seen more damage with those.

battles
November 27th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I dyed the last inch and a half of my hair purple without bleaching, it washed out fine after a few weeks. I wouldn't dye up that far, though. I'd prefer being able to trim off if I wanted to without losing too much length.

spidermom
November 27th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Bleaching would be bad, but if you only did it at the bottom, it could be trimmed off, either all at once or a little bit at a time.

I can use Manic Panic type dyes in my hair and there is no damage whatsoever. If anything, they condition my hair, and they gradually wash out. I like them a lot.

pepperminttea
November 27th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I really like it with unnatural colours, the 'dip dye'/'tie dye' ends look especially. If you're someone who wears your hair down a lot*, and you don't mind bleaching the ends first so the colour shows up brightly, I say go for it. Worst comes to worst, you can trim them off. :) I'm so used to wearing my hair up, the ends would always be hidden in my bun, so it wouldn't be worth losing the length for me.

*Come to think of it, I imagine you could still show the colours off on oily days if you wore your hair in a peacock twist. I bet that'd look awesome! :D

alyanna
November 27th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I really like it! Especially the first few pictures with the blues. I second the suggestion of using Manic Panic or a similar product on the ends to get a similar effect. It wouldn't be rough on your hair and some colors fade completely.

ebba
November 27th, 2011, 02:36 PM
it looks so cool

Avital88
November 27th, 2011, 02:51 PM
i just simply love it

Darian Moone
November 27th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I agree with Madora. That dying would cause so much damage... It doesn't look healthy to me. If you want long heathy hair, you kind of have to stop dying... Some people can get away with dying for awhile, but long term I think it really wrecks/ and weakens the hair.

Dying hair and having long hair are not necessarily mutually exclusive. We have MANY long standing members here who have maintained gorgeous heads of long hair and have dyed their hair the whole time and still continue to. Obviously they take very good care of their hair. :)

Sookie
November 27th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I love blue hair! I totally love it! Post more pictures if you want please!!! More awesome mermaid hairstyles!

Sweetie
November 27th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I totally love the second one!

ravenreed
November 27th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I have layers and that will make the whole thing even trickier! I imagine I will have to enlist the help of a friend for this.

This - I contemplated the idea of dying the last 10 inches green or blue,, I knew of course it was going to cause some damage, but wasn't overly concerned since who cares about the last 10 inches, I could just trim them off when I don't like it anymore. But then the biggest problem was to be able to bleach in a straight line on my own, which I was sure I'd never be able to, so I just forgot the idea. Until a year ago when I decided dying the upper part (roots) would probably look just as fine as dying the lower part (ends). But it came from the same desire, to have part of my hair dyed a brght colour, but not the whole of it.
All this to say, I love it :D .

krissykins
November 27th, 2011, 03:10 PM
If you want long heathy hair, you kind of have to stop dying...

I disagree. Yes, coloring hair can be damaging, but there are many longtime members here who regularly use hair dye.

As far as the pictures in the OP, I'm not a big fan of that look on myself, but it would certainly be fun to try it out anyway. :p

spike316
November 27th, 2011, 04:12 PM
well i don't really have that much to add with what everyone else has already said. however i would like to add that i haven't found manic panic to be damaging at all, the only damage would come from if you had to bleach your ends. my ends are already bleached from before i joined lhc so i actually already do this. it's fun! =D

iszolda111
November 27th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Im on weheartit all the time, addicted to that website, and there is the most beautiful, long, healthy looking hair with these "mermaid"/ ombre ends all over that site. I Love it! I searched around to find out what most of these girls are using for their hair to be dyed but look so healthy, and I found "manic panic" dyes are very popular, and supposedly dont cause damage. I might invest in some, looks fun, I doubt pemanant if it isnt damaging? havent looked into it enough, will probly go look now.

http://weheartit.com/entry/12317677/in-set/759930-

http://weheartit.com/entry/16820084/in-set/759930-

iszolda111
November 27th, 2011, 04:42 PM
http://weheartit.com/entry/16527532
m
manic panic dye ^^^, very cool

naereid
November 27th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Oh my goodness :inlove: I usually only see this style on blonde hair, but this is gorgeous. It really inspires me so now it's on my list of "things to do someday". Thanks. :grnbiggri

newbeginning
November 27th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Why not try clip in streaks?

Elph
November 27th, 2011, 07:28 PM
HI I kinda did this a couple of years ago. I bleached the last 2-3 inches of my hair blond and then dyed them purple. I did look cool. I would easily do it again esp now I wear my hair up most of the time and thus could have a spark of purple peaking out......hummmmmm then again I need to wait a little bit longer till the perm has grown out.

If you want to do this with dark hair - you will need to bleach and as such need to be willing to loose the bit you do to breakage etc.

lizdini
November 27th, 2011, 07:40 PM
It's cute! couldn't you do it with a semi or demi color?

Kaelee
November 27th, 2011, 08:02 PM
The last picture that was linked, the gal with the very bright fuchsia hair - it's not dyed. That's makeup. Any bright eyeshadow will work but mat without shimmer is best.
That's also why the colored hair tends to look so dry, the powder rubbed into it absorbs moisture and hair looks cotton candyish, but it's only temporary until the makeup is washed out.

Oh, instructions? please?? I LOVE brightly colored hair...actually, if I hadn't hennaed my hair and had kept my natural color, I would have done something like this once I found out there's a permanent dye that does it. Just a couple streaks. I love that with this look, you don't have to worry about roots so it can be one and done (with occasional touch ups.)

I would love something temporary without the risk of accidentally permanently coloring my hair some funky color.

pinupdancer
November 27th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I have dyed my hair almost every color of the rainbow and believe me when I say that unless you have very light blonde hair, you have to bleach it for the color to show properly. I have done this so many times and in so many different ways. lol My hair always handled it fairly well. Even after being bleached twice in one day (oh yes) my hair was still shiny and soft. Most people aren't so lucky. So if you want this look just really think about it. The bleach will damage your hair, but the dye itself (Special Effects is the best, unless you're in the UK then I hear Directions is great) won't cause any damage. It's more like paint, really. Very strange consistency and whatnot.

I love this look if done correctly and subtly. But I am biased. :p (If you ever want to know what bleaches or dyes have worked best for me I'd be happy to share)

RedheadMistress
November 27th, 2011, 08:16 PM
- Do it, it's beautiful :) I know I will do it when my hair is longer :P

I like how everyone is writing about the damage of bleaching and as you can see in my siggy, I'm no stranger to bleach, hehe . .

But yeah, depending on how your hair looks, I would make a really weak mix of bleach; mixing the powder and the liquid bit, then add conditioner . . 1:1 ratio bleach and conditioner, or even more conditioner, depending on how light your hair is already .

Then I would use Special effects hair dyes (I use Special effects, manic panic, directions. .) and special effects is the best one imo, more highly pigmented, works like a stain and it doesn't damage your hair, you can even mix it with conditioner to make the dying process make your hair feel even nicer or to dilute the colour and get a more pastel colour . .

Special thing about Special effects vegan hair dye is that I can get away with bleaching my hair a tiiny bit and the colour I get after using the product is as vivid as ever ! :)

So definitely do it if you want (:

RapunzelKat
November 27th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I think this look is really cool, if done right. I would say, just be careful what type of dye you use, unless you're willing to eventually have to cut off the dyed part. Bleach is the worst, in my experience. That was the only dye that has significantly damaged my hair.

dawnrader
November 27th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I think they are fantastic and i found a couple of videos on you tube last night showing something similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEHdG1KOJdI

morrigan*
November 28th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I think i would try that next summer as i have light ends :D

Velvettt
November 28th, 2011, 03:25 AM

You know, I'm really quite weary of people saying things like this with no consideration to how insulting it is to those of us who dye our hair. I have long hair. It's healthy. It's been dyed for years. I get compliments from people all the time on how pretty it is. Dye is not The Evil.

My siggy pic is a couple of years old. ***

MandyBeth
November 28th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Most of those colors can be done easiest with Manic Panic, Special Effects or Punky. None of which are damaging on their own. If you have light hair to start with, there won't be any damage. If you bleach, yes, there is damage, but it's the ends and if you are willing to lose them, why not enjoy your hair.

I don't get the point of growing hair out if you can't enjoy it and do as you like.

FrozenBritannia
November 28th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I like it. :)

Or rather, I like some of it. Not a big fan of the purple or pink or orange ones. I think if I were ever to do something like this, I would stick to green or blue(mermaid colors lol ). And probably just one. I like the darker toned ones too, so I probably wouldn't bleach first, my natural hair color is light enough I think. Of course, by the time my hair is goal length and all my natural color I will be in my thirties, so I have a way to go before this even becomes a possibility.

I did have a purple streak once, my hair was about bsl, and died dark red, with a thick chunk of underlayer died light purple. It looked cool. :)

HintOfMint
November 28th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I dig it.

I remember a girl on my old cheerleading team back in high school who dyed the bottom of her blond hair red and I thought it was such a cool look. I remember being so disappointed when the coach made her cut it off.

FrozenBritannia
November 28th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I dig it.

I remember a girl on my old cheerleading team back in high school who dyed the bottom of her blond hair red and I thought it was such a cool look. I remember being so disappointed when the coach made her cut it off.

They made her cut her HAIR?:disgust::disgust::disgust:

Johannah
November 28th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I really like it! When my hair is long enough (and that will take a while...) I may do it by myself :D

coffinhert
November 28th, 2011, 12:55 PM
My friend with long healthy black hair just had the last 5 inches bleached and dyed red, and she called me a few weeks later saying she wishes she had never done it, they feel like straw, how can she fix it, she is just going to cut it off :( I wish she lived near me so I could go henna it for her, but she's far away.

StormVixen
December 12th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Hmmmm... I wonder what vivid green under-layer/tips would look like on my hair type, and wether I could get away with it at work! I am so tempted... I've done orange but I'm a camo wearing nature girl so green is probably going to be more 'me'...

a lovely gloomy picture of green tips (http://www.haircolorsideas.com/bright-hair-colors/green-hair/green-dip-dye-long-hair/)

Beautiful dark hair with turquoise and green tips (http://www.haircolorsideas.com/bright-hair-colors/green-hair/dip-dyed-green-and-turquoise-hair/)

Lots of different coloured tips (http://www.haircolorsideas.com/category/dip-dyed-hair/)

:)

shump76
December 12th, 2011, 06:21 AM
How dark is the OP's natural hair colour? It's totally possible (as many have said) to do this with no damage at all to lighter hair.

I think it looks really cool and might do something similar myself when my hair gets a bit longer. My ends are already bleached and died over, and while they're in decent shape now, they will need to be chopped off at some point anyway, so why not? Although I was thinking about laying off dye in general from now on, I kind of like the idea of doing something like this to ends I'm going to chop anyway.

Nera
December 12th, 2011, 06:21 AM
I have long dyed hair... It is possible.

theodora
December 12th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I'm growing out some bleach damage and am currently enjoying the fact that I can use Manic Panic and other veggie dyes like Directions to dip dye my ends funky colours. The vegetables dyes are non-permanent and wash out really nicely. They're also very conditioning, as Spidermom says.

So even if I wouldn't necessarily encourage you to bleach your hair (although if you do bleach it, a coconut oil pre-treatment would greatly help protect your hair), if like in my case you already have lighter ends, from bleach or naturally, you could try something like this quite easily.

Or like people suggested, you could try clip-in coloured extensions.

Kira94
December 12th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I don't think I'd ever do it myself, but I always thought the look was really neat.
I remember when we first moved to my current town, we went bowling and there was a teenage girl there with just past waist length straight blonde hair, with the bottom 1 1/2 maybe 2 inches dyed a medium brown. I thought it was the neatest thing and decided if my hair was blonde I would totally do that.
Thinking about that now her hair was probably bleached and damaged and such, but it's one of my most vivid memories of hair, and I still think it's so pretty. :)

feb26
December 12th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I actually really really badly wanted to do my hair like this a few years back, out here it's called "tipping" but i love the "mermaid" term for it too:crush:
I LOVE the 1st 2 teal looks and this one, http://weheartit.com/entry/12317677/in-set/759930- but have never tried it as my hair is almost black.

<sigh> would love to try clip ins but don't want to worry about them falling out on bus/train..at work would be less embarassing if they fell out! how solid are clip ins? I'd be buying mine from Ardene's (tween store).if anyone has tried cheapy (not salon) clip ins, let me know.

I say if you like it, go for it. Hair grows back, it's worth trying, even temporarily to satisfy your lust for it. let us know how it goes.

feb26
December 12th, 2011, 12:41 PM
ps-have seen girls braid and do updos with this look and its very beautiful!! no reason you can't wear it down and up depending on yr mood;)

gboneske
December 12th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I'd experiment a little with non permanent dyes first - but for me my job wouldn't allow the
"fancy colors" in the office -- they think it is unprofessional (but I work in bank, a LOT of normal things are not professional to them)

spidermom
December 12th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Ooo Feb26; that's so pretty!

spike316
December 13th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I actually really really badly wanted to do my hair like this a few years back, out here it's called "tipping" but i love the "mermaid" term for it too:crush:
I LOVE the 1st 2 teal looks and this one, http://weheartit.com/entry/12317677/in-set/759930- but have never tried it as my hair is almost black.

<sigh> would love to try clip ins but don't want to worry about them falling out on bus/train..at work would be less embarassing if they fell out! how solid are clip ins? I'd be buying mine from Ardene's (tween store).if anyone has tried cheapy (not salon) clip ins, let me know.

I say if you like it, go for it. Hair grows back, it's worth trying, even temporarily to satisfy your lust for it. let us know how it goes.

I don't know what the difference in the clip ins are, but my stylist made me some clip ins that hold pretty awesomely. I'm not sure how much they would be normally because I just pay her in massages, but they can't be that bad! :D

feb26
December 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I know out here the Ardene's (cheapy) ones are $20-30 and options can be limited. they had some v pretty curly twists i was interested in too, you just pop it on top of a ponytail or side clip it in.
have heard salon quality clips can be in the hundreds!

catnip
December 13th, 2011, 12:13 PM
This seems to be quite popular trend... But I don't really like it, maybe because I want to look as natural as I can, and, well, pink ends don't look natural. But: I have seen girls with mermaid hair and it actually looks nice and interesting... I'm conflicted there :)

Mopolop
December 13th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Ahhh, I've been thinking about hennaering the last inch of my hair for some time now. I'm too scared to henna the whole my head, what with it being the permanent-est thing ever, the prospect of having to do regular root touch ups and muck up the communal shower with mud. Plus I'm lazy.

But henna is so pretty, maybe I'll just do a streak...

feb26
December 13th, 2011, 12:31 PM
henna should wash out pretty fast, i think there's ways to dilute it too. I tried some 10yrs ago and it didn't even show up on my hair!!

candycandace
December 13th, 2011, 12:38 PM
You should check out this thread by diamond.eyes.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1903192#post1903192
She posted a vid on how you can use chalk to temporarily do this to your hair. :D

XcaliburGirl
December 13th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I bleached and dyed the ends of my hair (about 1-2 inches) last year. It was fun and I didn't have to cut too much off when I was sick of maintaining it (which happened pretty quickly). I could hide it for work by doing a french twist.

Here are some pics.

Day of dying (my unbleached hair was blue-black for about two days before it washed out completely):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5612&pictureid=74485

A few shampoos later:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5612&pictureid=74486

For people like me who have dark hair that bleaches to orange, I would suggest doing a blue that fades to purple to avoid the yucky green color.