PDA

View Full Version : Hairdresser dragged the scissors

Jessfoz
November 27th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Hi there!
I do appologise I don't post a lot, but I read this forum a lot.
I've been growing my damaged hair for a while now and have grown to love getting little trims. The hairdresser I normally go to was busy today so I went to one of those often nasty shopping centre ones AND it was busy so I felt pretty rushed through. I got a treatment and a trim. I'm pretty unhappy with the trim because she took a little more off than I asked, even though I stressed just a little and also I noticed she dragged the scissors across.

Now I am very paranoid about my hair. I'm scared she's cut it the 'wrong' way in an attempt to speed me through. The whole time she was looking at the door as more people waited to be seen. She didn't brush it out to check it was straight or show me with a mirror. The main thing that is worrying me is how she dragged those scissors along. My hair just feels wrong now. I'm worried she may have caused an effect similar to when one curls ribbon. Because she took so much off and because I rarely have luck with hairdressers, I'm worried to go get another trim, it's already shorter than I care for :mad: Any advice? Do you think there's any truth to my concerns? Cheers

Annibelle
November 27th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I'm not too sure what you mean by "dragged the scissors"... I don't really know a lot about hair cuttery! :o I hope someone else can help, though!~

jaine
November 27th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Are you sure it was scissors? Not a hair razor (http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=hair+razor&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1033&bih=747&sei=UETSTtaVHcn00gHxjamBAg)? Maybe she was trying to give it a nice shape for you. I'm probably going to ask for a razor cut next time I get a haircut ... razor makes my hair a lot less flippy and crazy.

Gabriel
November 27th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Slide cutting is what it's sometimes called here. If her scissors were sharp and technique were good there is really nothing to worry about. It is like razor cutting, sort of.

My hair dresser does this sometimes to help blend things. She doesn't do it often, maybe every fourth time I go see her because she knows I don't really like it but it really does help blend very slight layers in my hair. She doesn't take huge chunks of hair either and usually just does it once or twice on each side with the front layers of my hair where I have old fringe I'm growing back into my length.

Unless the hair dresser you went to had dull scissors or went and slid through your hair an excessive amount, everything should be just fine.

Book an appointment with your normal hair dresser for a few months and just keep an eye on things.

HintOfMint
November 27th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Oh dear, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, I've never had my ends turn out nicely when a hairdresser does that. She could have used a razor or she could have used a pair of scissors to do the same thing. I'm glad others have had better experiences with razoring, and some hairstylists here insist on a new razor being used every time, but in my experience from several salons, I start to see splits and crunchy ends with a quickness.

Next time always specify that you don't want your hair razor cut or with any razoring whatsoever. Some stylists get snippy, but hold your ground.

Copasetic
November 27th, 2011, 08:15 AM
That's a fairly common technique. It's definitely not everyone's personal preference, but I don't think you need to worry about it damaging your hair.

Kaelee
November 27th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Erica does this to my front pieces. I have had no ill effect, don't worry! If you're unhappy with the cut for other reasons though, that's a different story.

long&blonde
November 27th, 2011, 08:35 AM
I'd book an apt.with your regular favorite stylist after 1/1/12 for the new year,& till then nurture your hair with your favorite deep conditioning treatments;then immediately put it up without looking at it till after New Year's. I'm fearful of salon cuts;and know how one you don't like can result in Much shorter hair if you panic & keep trying to tinker & "fix".

Amber_Maiden
November 27th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Uh oh... Sounds like a bad hairdresser, and another bad hairdresser story... Happens to everyone. Chalk it up to experience.

jacqueline101
November 27th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I wouldn't leave until I got my hair fixed and I'd tell the manager how I feel. I'm not sure what the policy is on unhappy haircuts you might go back and complain.

UltraBella
November 27th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Always wait for your normal hair stylist, always. If instead you go to a "nasty" shopping center salon and you see that it is already busy, it's a bad decision on your part to entrust your hair to just anyone.
As for the cutting technique, it very common and normally does not cause damage.

Jessfoz
November 27th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I was pretty angry with myself for sure! I should have known better. I was just thankful to be out of the house, baby looked after and time to get my trim.

Thanks for all the advice, not sure whether I do want to go to my hairdressers, tell them what happened and get them to neaten it up. Or if I should leave it for a month, I don't want it to get shorter but I don't want a lot of split ends to develop.

I remember looking around the salon and thinking, often hairdressers aren't the people to visit when you want long and lustrious hair.. you know as you see people getting their hair hacked off, dyed and permed. I've had more hairdresser be disappointed with me because I was being 'boring' by just trimming.

akilina
November 27th, 2011, 11:25 PM
our shears are (usually/supposed to be) very very sharp so normally this wouldnt hurt your hair too bad. sorry you had a bad experience though. it makes me sad! im a hair dresser and i hate that so many long hairs have had a bad experience and will never go to one again. i love long hair and i always make sure to cut exactly the little amount they ask for :)

ericthegreat
November 28th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Don't worry about it at all, the method in which you described how she cut your hair is exactly the right way to cut hair when you want to blend layers. The method is called 'sliding', its when you move the scissors down gradually down the length of a section of hair and gently cut away a little bit as you move the blade of the scissors down that section of hair. This is in fact a very common and preferred hair cutting technique, it gives your layers a much better shape and it softens them up by making them slightly wispy, that way they blend better into your hair. Trust me on this, your hair probably looks wonderful right now with the new haircut she gave you.

You actually do not want the kind of layers that are just bluntly cut into your hair without this kind of hair shaping. Layers that are bluntly cut literally look like someone badly chopped up your hair randomly.

kwaniesiam
November 28th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Don't worry about it at all, the method in which you described how she cut your hair is exactly the right way to cut hair when you want to blend layers. The method is called 'sliding', its when you move the scissors down gradually down the length of a section of hair and gently cut away a little bit as you move the blade of the scissors down that section of hair. This is in fact a very common and preferred hair cutting technique, it gives your layers a much better shape and it softens them up by making them slightly wispy, that way they blend better into your hair. Trust me on this, your hair probably looks wonderful right now with the new haircut she gave you.

You actually do not want the kind of layers that are just bluntly cut into your hair without this kind of hair shaping. Layers that are bluntly cut literally look like someone badly chopped up your hair randomly.

You beat me to it, this is exactly what I was going to say! I love slide cutting personally and hate razors. I can do anything with my regular shears and some texturizing shears that a razor can do without causing the ragged ends on some types of hair.

Jessfoz
November 28th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Thing is, I don't actually have layers? I might actually sound like a total newbie. But I just asked for a straight across cut, does what you said still apply eric?

I have noticed it feels differently to how it does when I normally get it trimmed, normally I feel the ends very distinctly but now it feels differently and the term blended wouldn't go too astray.

Jessfoz
November 28th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Oh and I think I may have confused people when I say dragged. She didn't cut across like you would to use scissors she just slid them across. That's not to say she did this down the length of the hair to CREATE layers. I don't have any layers really. :)

ktani
November 28th, 2011, 07:21 AM
I think you have gotten some great advice so far. I would be more concerned it you felt the scissors "catch" or pull, indicating that they need sharpening.

I would simply let things be for now and you can have a look at your ends to see if they look "rough". I think they are most likely just fine.

Celtic Morla
November 28th, 2011, 07:26 AM
She might have very sharp scissors so does not need to use a lot of scissoring to trim the tips. Most people have no idea how sharp the shears can be if they are sharpened by a good sharpener- ask me how I know!LOL

I use very sharp shears at times and my bulk thining shears can be very sharp when I get them back from their maker. Took some skin off my pinky once when I got distracted by an ownwr coming in-bette rme than the dog though!