PDA

View Full Version : Is this hair worth keeping? (pics)

hototogisu
November 27th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I've finally taken length shots, more out of despair than anything.

I was at a party last night and this acquaintance of mine went on a rant about how people with thin hair shouldn't grow their hair long, how dyed hair is awful, etc. It got under my skin. I colour my hair and, as I've often posted, I battle with hair loss. I've started thinking that maybe I should just chop off the length, colour what's left back to my original colour and let it grow again.

I love my colour and, most days, I like my hair, but it's so, so thin. Tell me - is this hair worth keeping, or should I go the big chop?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9186&pictureid=119801

Post-clarify and SMT hair. Combed after washing, then left alone.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9186&pictureid=119806After quickly twisting my hair into a bun, without brushing, to go to the grocery store. My hair is hanging really weirdly for some reason.

Lilli
November 27th, 2011, 06:17 AM
I think your hair is very lovely and doesn't look thin. The color is also pretty and natural-looking.

I think that every human being is a natural egotist and thus we think that people are talking about us when usually, they are not. I bet the person who was saying these things specifically does NOT mean you or else he/she would not have said them in front of you unless he/she is a really unsocialized jerk.

Monkie
November 27th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - but in my opinion your friend was being really rude.
If it's worth it to you to keep it, then it's worth it to keep it! Also your hair does not look thin, and your kitchen is really cute. :flower:

MonaLisa
November 27th, 2011, 06:22 AM
It doesn't look thin :) I like the color also.
Although...quitting the dye could make your hair thicker/ less damaged/shed less

allycat
November 27th, 2011, 06:22 AM
I love your hair! No way should you cut it. It's very silky and soft looking. I have seen lots of very long hair that is thin fine and silky, and I think it's gorgeous.

jacqueline101
November 27th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I would say grow it you've put in this much effort. Your friend seems mean and rude. She or he needs to mind their business. Its rude to down someone hair and way of life.

mrs_coffee
November 27th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I love my colour and, most days, I like my hair

This is what matters. YOU like your hair color and your hair. Your friend is entitled to think whatever she wants about long hair and coloring hair and what-have-you, but her opinion shouldn't influence you if you're happy with what you have.

Mina17
November 27th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I don't think your hair looks thin either and it's a nice rich color. I agree that person might not have been referring to your hair at all but if you are self-conscious about it you might have felt like they were.

Toiréasa
November 27th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I would not listen to them,your hair is beautiful! I have thin hair too but I still love it long not all of us will every have thick gorgeous hair I'm ok with that. Enjoy your hair ;)

Pumpkin
November 27th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Your hair does not look thin at all. It is very lovely. Please do not cut it because this person's comment. She (I assume it was a female) was very rude. Consider the source!!

newbeginning
November 27th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Your hair looks healthy and I really like the colour. I don't think it looks thin.

Annibelle
November 27th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Your hair looks great! I would think you were a solid ii, not a i/ii. :) People will always say that thin-haired people should never grow it long. I've heard it plenty. But you know what? They will say the same thing about thick-haired people if they're in the mood! :flower: I don't like when people dye, either, but it's not because I think it looks bad (I would have guessed yours was natural!)-- I just think the natural color usually looks best on people. There are always exceptions, though. You know your hair better than anyone else can. :)

Avital88
November 27th, 2011, 07:14 AM
dont cut it, its very lovely! just keep taking good care of it and dont listen to people who talk to much negative thoughts

Cowgirl16
November 27th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I don't think your hair looks thin at all. I wouldn't cut it:)

Shuan
November 27th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I think your hair is just fine the way it is. You shouldn't always take what other people say to heart, everyone has a different opinion on what's beautiful and what not.

Firefly
November 27th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Honestly, I don't think it looks thin at all. Keep growing!

Egana
November 27th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Being new here, I cannot see you lovely hair...

But personality conflicts are difficult, regardless. Some people are more opinionated than others. Some are more outspoken than others. When you get an outspoken, opinionated person, they tend to hurt the feelings of those around them, unbeknownst to them. An emphatically spoken opinion can be difficult to resist... especially if it is coming from a person who appears dynamic and confidant. Disagreeing (even silently) can be uncomfortable.

So, now that you are out of the uncomfortable situation, you can think more clearly about your hair, and who you are, and what you want. *grin* Sounds like your hair is lovely. Do you like it? What do you want it to look and feel like? What is important to you about your hair and what it communicates both to yourself and others?

Don't do anything as a reaction. That road almost always leads to regret. But calmly asses your thoughts and feelings. Then you can proceed with confidence. Good luck!

andreamuse
November 27th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Your hair is almost exactly like mine in texture (fine and thinner) and I anticipate that when my hair grows that long, that it will look very similar to yours. And I think yours looks lovely and so I find that very encouraging! Don't listen to negative people. If you like your hair and you like it long, then you should keep it that way!

CurlyMopTop
November 27th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I love the color, and it doesn't look thin! :D

Susana
November 27th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Your hair looks fine. Not particularly thin at all, although it is hard to tell form a picture. If you are concerned, you could try maintaining a certain length and just trimming until you get a thicker hemline.

If hair loss/thinning is an actual problem, you should contact a health care provider as this could be a symptom of an underlying health condition that may need treatment.

Your friend is entitled to her own opinion. If she is repeatedly saying it to be mean, she sounds like an awful friend and you may be best to tell her it bothers you and that she can shove it.

You need to decide if growing your hair long is worth negative comments. Sometimes you will get them. All you can do is try to keep your hair beautiful and not care about what other people say, after all, most of your friends probably don't change their appearance according to your taste, do they?

Last but definetly not least: YOUR CAT IS ADORABLE and your kitchen *stunning*!!!!!

Cheers :flowers:

lizdini
November 27th, 2011, 08:22 AM
It looks good to me!

long&blonde
November 27th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I too think your hair is beautiful. I also love the color. After a good solid year of salon color:I find myself most often checking out hair that's obviously home dyed:for the spectacular range of colors we do. Vs.the salon "that could Not be done on your length." (Lol,see you in a hour). It's hard;how well I know;but,ignore the Haters. You probably get more hair compliments than they Ever have had,themselves.

Madora
November 27th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Yes, it's hair worth keeping but a small trim wouldn't hurt.

Of course to make it appear thicker a cut to your arm pits would be even better, but I doubt you'd want to do that.

Just keep protecting it by being gentle and try and wear it up more often (if you don't already). Good luck!

jojo
November 27th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I think your friend is a tad jealous, I was always told my hair was too "ratty" to grow long, comments like this from so called "friends" are exactly the reason we have a middle finger; use it and ignore catty comments like this, your hair is very pretty.

almond
November 27th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I think your hair is pretty and definitely worth keeping!
I was also said that my hair is too thin and I shouldn't grow it long, but if we take care of it there should be improvement sooner or later. Your friends don't know how important your hair is for you, I wouldn't listen to them.

Amber_Maiden
November 27th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Yes, it's hair worth keeping but a small trim wouldn't hurt.

Of course to make it appear thicker a cut to your arm pits would be even better, but I doubt you'd want to do that.

Just keep protecting it by being gentle and try and wear it up more often (if you don't already). Good luck!

Exactly what I would have said.

Freckled.Thing
November 27th, 2011, 09:07 AM
It doesn't look thin to me, and I never would have guessed that you dye it. In fact, I'm kind of jealous of the color.

Honestly I just think your hair looks lovely!

xoxophelia
November 27th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Your hair is worth keeping. If you feel it doesn't look as good as it could, don't chop, just find new styling methods. Updos, damp braiding for waves, damp bunning for waves.... things that won't damage it, but will spruce it up :)

jasper
November 27th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Keep it. It doesn't look thin. It looks fine.

Oksana
November 27th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I agree with above! It doesn't look thin and a small trim to give a nice blunt hemline would make it look even thicker :)

Hairwish
November 27th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I would keep it.

chelshireling
November 27th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Your hair looks lovely. don't cut it! the color is so pretty:)

Bazinga
November 27th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Don't cut it, it looks really good in my opinion. I'd be happy if my hair looked like yours.

spidermom
November 27th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Your friend is entitled to her opinion, but she's not entitled to beat anyone over the head with it. Try to ignore her.

As for your hair, I think it's pretty, although if it were me I'd go down to the longest area and trim it about 1/2 inch. I think the V-hem makes hair look thinner than it is.

CastaDiva
November 27th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I definitely think your hair is worth keeping. I honestly can't see anything wrong with it. Lovely colour and length and it looks to be in good condition too:)

Navydoc_76
November 27th, 2011, 10:57 AM
i think your hair is very pretty-i love the color, and to me it doesnt look thin-.. to me it looks healthy. i think this acquaitance was rude and out of line... i probably would have reminded her that everyone has their own opinions on hair, and that a persons hair is very personal to them.

Lostsoule77
November 27th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I don't think your hair looks thin at all and I love the color! I would say listen to yourself and ignore your friend. Your hair definitely looks like it's worth keeping to me. :D

If it looks think to you cutting it to a blunt hemline would help, but I don't think it's necessary unless you want to. :)

Demetrue
November 27th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Your hair looks perfectly fine and the color is lovely! If you are really concerned about thinness, I would do a blunt hemline at around APL and remove the V-hemline.

Niphredil
November 27th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Most definitely yes!!

Sometimes, certain lengths just don't bring out the best of any given hairtype but you need to get past that length to go to a more flattering length.

For me with thick and textured hair, shoulder and one-length is drama -> pyramid head.

Choose your goal length and just let it grow.

As long as you are happy with your hair and its colour, that is the important thing, not what your friend thinks about it (although she is entitled to her opinion and can voice that if asked for it).

Lamb
November 27th, 2011, 11:15 AM
You're calling this thin? :eek: That's what I hope my hair's gonna look like when it grows out!
I think your hair looks lovely. I wouldn't listen to anyone saying otherwise.

Earelia
November 27th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I think it looks great! Doesn't look too thin to me, probably what my hair will look like when it's longer and I'm not suffering from hair loss or anything. If you like having long hair keep it, don't bend to someone else's opinions.

pepperminttea
November 27th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Personally I think your friend was being an impolite arse, and your hair is lovely. If it was mine I'd keep it. :crush:

Every hairtype has its beauty, advantages/disadvantages, and can look amazing long. :flower: Try to remember what you like about your hair and practise some self-lovin'! :eyebrows: I'd recommend checking out this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69631&page=3), and this one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115).

ilovelonghair
November 27th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Hototogisu, your hair is very similar to mine, mine is longer, but I think the same thickness and structure. Don't cut it! Looks good!

LittleOrca
November 27th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I think it looks lovely. :) Some Argan oil might smoothen it out if you are worried about that. And if you go use that oil a little goes a very long way. :)

Yame
November 27th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I don't think your hair looks very thin. I'd keep it!

coffinhert
November 27th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Umm... my truly honest opinion? Your hair is really pretty! It's not like, the thickest hair in the world, but it is by no means thin to the point of looking bad. I'm being honest here because we are anonymous over the internet. I feel no need to sugar coat this.

Pros:
Pretty color
Pretty texture
Princess ends
Solid BSL with thickness up the ends

Cons:
Stupid *****es dropping insults because they don't feel good about themselves

You have to make a decision. Are you going to believe what those people say about you?

Gothchiq
November 27th, 2011, 12:21 PM
It's your hair and the opinion that counts is yours. I wouldn't give any consideration to what that other person said.

xoxo
gothchiq

alyanna
November 27th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Yes! It's definitely worth keeping. I think it looks really pretty.

ashleyrox
November 27th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I will echo here, It doesn't look thin and if you love it, that's what matters. I do think its very pretty!

skyblue
November 27th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Oh my gosh, I really wish people would just be quiet for once lol your hair is so pretty and doesn't look thin at all, I know that being here and learning about all the hair types and thicknesses, seeing all this gorgeous hair can be a bit intimidating especially if your not feeling so great about your own hair can make comments people say make you feel self conscious, at least it does for me but really don't feel like you have to chop off your hair, just keep up what your doing, take a deep breath, and love your hair, it's uniquely yours, it's beautiful, and really it looks great to me

celebriangel
November 27th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Your hair is lovely! Please don't cut it.

I will say, though, that I gained back almost an inch in ponytail thickness since giving up the dye.

rach
November 27th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Your hair looks fine. I don't visually see any reason to cut

summerjade
November 27th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Your hair color and thickness is very lovely. The color is rich and your hair looks healthy and soft. This person couldn't have been talking about your pretty hair. I think you should let her comments float away and not even think about it any more. Your hair is too pretty to cut.

Fairlight63
November 27th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Your hair is very pretty! and not at all thin. Please do not cut it!
I used to dye my hair & it made me lose a lot of hair & made it thin looking on top, since I have quit dying it, it is getting thicker.
My daughter was over on Thanksgiving & she said that she had to quit dying her hair also because it was making her hair fall out. She used to have really thick hair & have to get it thinned out. She said that she is using henna now & her hair looked really pretty & healthy.

maborosi
November 27th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Hototogisu- Your hair looks nice. I really like the color.

I dislike when people say that those with thin/fine hair "shouldn't" grow their hair long. I think that it just requires more gentle handling, because fine hair isn't as strong as coarse hair. If it's grown with care, it can look just as good as someone who has thicker hair.

But your hair looks great. Don't let someone's idiotic and ignorant comments scare you away from having the hair you want.

PS- I like your kitty in the second pic! :p

~maborosi~

hototogisu
November 27th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Oh wow, thank you so, so much, everyone! This was a great thread to come back to and everyone is really kind.

I do take the point that my hair will probably thicken up when I stop dyeing. I will. Eventually. I don't think I'm ready to give up being a redhead yet. I think when my old fringe reaches mid-neck I'll cut it all off in a blunt Alexa Chung bob and find a great colourist to take it back to my natural colour, then I'll start growing again.

Thanks again, everyone! I really, really appreciate it!

coffinhert
November 27th, 2011, 03:36 PM
What color is your hair naturally? Have you considered henna to be a permanent redhead? I switched from chemical red to henna red and it's a few shades darker than I used to get from the box, but I like it much better.

PixxieStix
November 27th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I don't see a thin haired girl there at all, I see a very pretty red head with gorgeous hair that I think you'd be sad to see chopped off all because of a comment someone was making about hair that does not apply to you. If you like it and are happy, then keep it. Doesn't matter what anyone else says. I like it, as do many others. It looks good and healthy. Only chop if it is what *you* want to do because you want to do it for yourself, not for some beauty standard that another person holds.

Zesty
November 27th, 2011, 07:56 PM
It's pretty, don't cut it off! It doesn't even look thin, I would have guessed mid-range ii, not i/ii. But remember that the important thing is that you love your hair, it doesn't matter what others think. :)

pinupdancer
November 27th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Your hair doesn't look thin to me at all. It looks lovely, in fact. If you like it long, then keep on growing and ignore what your friend said. :)

RedheadMistress
November 27th, 2011, 08:21 PM
- I would say keep it, it doesn't look that thin to me, once you get to your goal, just trim and the hemline might get thicker . I wouldnt worry too much, dont listen to those kinda of people at the parties you go to! If I listened to people at parties I go to and took it to heart, i wouldnt be the person I am today . Also I'd probably look way more punk . hah .

Keller1128
November 27th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I think your hair is beautiful and that you don't need to cut it.

DarkSky
November 27th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Your hair doesn't look thin to me but if you are self conscious about it just do regular trims.. don't chop it off. You might regret it majorly. I would totally keep you hair if I had it :)

missoj
November 28th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Definitely worth keeping :)

ArienEllariel
November 28th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Of course it is! It's very pretty and doesn't appear to be thin to me. :)

LocustSpawning
November 28th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I'm sorry if you've already mentioned this, but could you please tell me what you colour your hair with? I'm looking to lighten my hair and dye it a reddish colour, and I really like yours :)

and your hair is lovely, of COURSE it is worth keeping!

BittSweetCherry
November 28th, 2011, 04:41 AM
We're roughly the same hair type, and I'd LOVE my hair to look more like yours :)

I am a massive fan of your colour, too!

(Yeah, our hair type tapers a lot and probably doesn't pass muster in the California Beauty Rodeo, but even my really thin [hip length] ends receive compliments from people who don't believe beauty lives solely in a bottle. You have beautiful, healthy, glowing hair and people who live in the real world value it as an example of how caring for yourself brings out the best version of you.)

MrsGuther
November 28th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Don't cut it! I think you have very pretty hair. :)

Katze
November 28th, 2011, 06:27 AM
We have a similar hair type, and I just cut for similar reasons.

The bad news is, yes, I think my hair will never grow - I don't color, I treat it well, but have never got past BSL since being here (5 years). I've finally given in to all the negative criticism, most of which came from me myself, and chopped off to shoulder - I have blunt ends for the first time in over a decade, I think.

The good news is IMO - as someone who is VERY critical of her own fine wavy hair - your hair looks fine. I can imagine you have a heavy amount of taper, but many people like that look, and the hair at the roots/crown looks thick and healthy.

In your position, I would not cut. The length is not see-through, and overall your hair looks fine.

Alaia
November 28th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Your hair looks absolutely fine. It does not look thin. At all.

Don't let them bring you down.

PrairieRose
November 29th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I think your hair looks good. If you like your hair long that is all that matters! I have fine, thinner hair and whenever I feel like I want to chop it all off, I usually try a trim first. A trim can help so much. Henna might be a great option for you if you like red. It's natural and will not make your hair thinner but possibly thicker! I have stopped using traditional shampoo since July and I can see a big difference in my roots. That may be an option for you:)