PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! sls/cone free

ylime
November 26th, 2011, 09:48 PM
so, I have been cone/SLS free for almost a month now, and it is great!! I just have one question... why do my roots get super oily only 2 days after?
is it because i dont wash it out enough, or is my hair still geting adjusted to not having those nasties in my hair??

your input would be much appreciated!! :)

Mairéad
November 26th, 2011, 09:53 PM
It's very possible that you're still adjusting. It may be difficult but if you could just put your hair up on the second day it will probably help it get used to going three days and so on. You could use baby powder if you have light hair or cocoa powder if you have dark hair to try and 'mop' up a little. You could also finish off your wash with a dilute ACV rinse to help with the pH of your scalp.

ylime
November 26th, 2011, 09:57 PM
i always have my hair in a braid after it has dried, but i will try the ACV rinse :)

Firefly River
November 26th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I'm not sure. I find cones actually make my hair feel coated and greasy-plasticy with so much residue build up. But maybe it may have to do with your diet or sleeping habits. I also recently heard that eating the wrong fats make your hair more greasy.

GRU
November 26th, 2011, 11:32 PM
You don't mention what you're doing to wash your hair. It may have something to do with your technique or your products.

Are you using SLS-free shampoo? CO-washing? WO? BS? ??????

Let us know what you're doing/using, and we might be able to give you some advice.

lapushka
November 27th, 2011, 08:54 AM
so, I have been cone/SLS free for almost a month now, and it is great!! I just have one question... why do my roots get super oily only 2 days after? :)

Oilier than normal, than with a sl(e)s shampoo? I get that too. My hair is oily, and it just needs a harsher cleanser; just the way it is. Maybe yours does too? If I use a sl(e)s free shampoo too long in a row, my scalp starts to complain, in a bad flaky way.

Amber_Maiden
November 27th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I'm SLS free, and cone free. I put a cone serum on my hair ends sometimes after I wash.

You're probably still adjusting to not having the nasties...

ylime
November 27th, 2011, 01:36 PM
You don't mention what you're doing to wash your hair. It may have something to do with your technique or your products.

Are you using SLS-free shampoo? CO-washing? WO? BS? ??????

Let us know what you're doing/using, and we might be able to give you some advice.

I'm using australian organics SLS/cone free shampoo an conditioner
I only shampoo my scalp then wash that off/ rinse it down my length, then I condition my hair quite a bit from about ear length down, leave that in for a few minutes then rinse out.
my hair is then squeegied out with a towel (NO twisting) and left to air dry

celebriangel
November 27th, 2011, 01:49 PM
IME, SLS-free shampoos require more effort. You need to make sure you lather some in your hands first, then distribute all across the scalp. Depending on the brand, you might need to massage your scalp some as well for some mechanical cleansing.

It may also just be that this particular brand doesn't agree with you. It doesn't mean that all SLS free shampoos will be the same.

ylime
November 27th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure. I find cones actually make my hair feel coated and greasy-plasticy with so much residue build up. But maybe it may have to do with your diet or sleeping habits. I also recently heard that eating the wrong fats make your hair more greasy.

I have not changed my diet/sleeping (i did however have exams a few weeks ago so was stressed more than usual)

Jean Stuart
November 27th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Try a different shampoo and conditioner. The one your using might not work for you.

kwaniesiam
November 27th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't necessarily call sulfates and cones "nasties", they work very well for many members here.

OP, sounds like your scalp is still adjusting. Give it time and maybe leave the shampoo on your hair a little longer with some gentle massaging.

coffinhert
November 27th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I have been conditioner-only for the better half of a year now. I go about 5-8 days between washes before my hair starts feeling dirty. I decided to shampoo my hair just to get it really clean, even tho I was CO for a long time. The next day my hair was SOOOO greasy! Moral of the story is, shampoo makes my hair greasy. Conditioner only does not.

Gothchiq
November 27th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I would say to try a different shampoo.

xoxo
gothchiq

GRU
November 27th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I would try a different product. I'm another one who has tremendous success with Conditioner Only washing for the past two years.

I also find that *good* massaging technique is necessary, and diluting the conditioner works better for me than using it full-strength.