PDA

View Full Version : Is conditioner always needed?

Celebrian
November 26th, 2011, 03:50 PM
:eyebrows: I've washed my hair and not conditioned it tonight. I've been meaning to do this for ages. It's certainly tangly, and I've been having fun using my fingers as a gentle comb for the last hour. It also looks twice as thick - but I shall be interested to see how it dries overnight and what it looks like tomorrow.

I suppose a better way of working it (given that it's long) would be to condition my hair first - and then shampoo.

I decided to try the no-conditioner route because I've noticed that my hair flops so easily with most conditioners: it feels too fluffy too easily. Looking for a bit more bulk and character here!

Back with update...

jojo
November 26th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Ive tried in the past and always had pretty good results. It is more tangly but strangely if you leave to dry without touching, the tangles just seem to drop out when dry!

Amber_Maiden
November 26th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Well, if it works then go for it.

It's to my knowledge that shampoo strips the hair of oil, and that it helps the hair to have some oil reintroduced...

But again, if it works for you, and your hair doesn't feel too dry, got for it.
My hair really can't handle it.

Kaelee
November 26th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I only use "standard" conditioner once a week. (I do use coconut oil, but not "conditioner".) I use Aussie 3MM once a week and other than that I don't use any. My hair doesn't like conditioner. I've done this for years with no ill effect. :)

chelles2kids
November 26th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I don't use conditioner...I don't like the slimey feel of my hair afterwards.:p

I just make sure *before* washing that I detangle well before I shampoo...then afterwards, I do add some oils or butters before I begin detangling.
I've yet to have any problems with detangling using this method, and I have fairly thick, coarse, wavy hair.

Shuan
November 26th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I only started using conditioner since this year. I've less tangles when using it, but aside from that I don't really notice a difference. So I don't think it's really needed, but that might differ for other people.

Madora
November 26th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't dream of not using conditioner. W/O conditioner my hair would be a bloody, tangled MESS. I dilute my conditioner and it leaves my hair looking great and feeling silky.

LadyLongLocks
November 26th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't dream of not using conditioner. W/O conditioner my hair would be a bloody, tangled MESS. I dilute my conditioner and it leaves my hair looking great and feeling silky.

Same here, I must use conditioner. I leave mine nice and thick after I squeeze out as much water as possible. I don't think I could have long hair without a good coney conditioner to help detangle.

shikara
November 26th, 2011, 05:18 PM
My hair seems to comb out better after washing without condish, but i really think its the lemon rinse that is mostly responsible fot that, but it feels like there is much less of it. For certain hair tyoes, putting just a tiny amount on, and leaving it in just for a tiny period works best. Well, to answer your question then, the answer seems to be no, not everyone seems to need conditioner. If its what works best for hair, then go fir it!
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_b4293cd4.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=b4293cd4.jpg)

sweetpotato
November 26th, 2011, 05:24 PM
My hair seems to comb out better after washing without condish, but i really think its the lemon rinse that is mostly responsible fot that, but it feels like there is much less of it. For certain hair tyoes, putting just a tiny amount on, and leaving it in just for a tiny period works best. Well, to answer your question then, the answer seems to be no, not everyone seems to need conditioner. If its what works best for hair, then go fir it!

My moderately fine almost waist length hennaed hair HATES conditioner. I use a dilute apple cider vinegar rinse, which I am assuming has a similar effect to your lemon rinse. It makes my hair feel almost slippery and soft. I detangle before I shampoo, and try to leave it be as it dries.

krissykins
November 26th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I have a dear friend who only uses shampoo and oil, no conditioner. Her hair hates conditioner. She seems to be doing pretty well :)

spidermom
November 26th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Interestingly enough, I always believed that my hair would be scary without conditioner. I've been using the CWC method, generously slathering my hair with conditioner both before and after shampooing for years. Recently I wanted to do some Manic Panic turquoise in my hair and the directions say to wash without conditioning. So I did, and my hair felt just the same as if I had used conditioner. I did this for about a month before DD and I finally managed to get our schedules together to do the Manic Panic, and it wasn't until the last wash that I could tell a difference in my hair. Apparently conditioner ingredients cling onto hair, and it can take quite a long time to get it all off.

So now I use maybe a quarter-size dollop of conditioner after washing, and my hair is very happy with this, maybe even better than it was when I used to smother it with conditioner. Therefore, I'd have to say that no - you don't necessarily need conditioner.

Celebrian
November 27th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Aha, I thought as much!

Yes, my hair was pretty knotty and tangly last night - but it seemed to settle overnight and more-or-less 'unknotted' itself. It was perfectly wearable - but I had a bit of fluffy fuzzing on the lengths of the underhair (if you know what I mean). I then decided to put some olive oil in from ears downwards as a pre-condish and then planned to rewash without cond. tonight and leave again (which I've done). Funny thig is, it looked gorgeous with the oil in. My hair was bushier because of lack of normal conditioner - so the oil just shaped it into full coils! Anyway, the young man who works in the local shop complimented me on my hair, so that says something! Maybe a touch more oil in the morning might work well - certainly on any fuzzy bits - provided I'm not too heavy handed?

I must say I like the root fullness I get with this no cond. method.

Celebrian
November 27th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Interestingly enough, I always believed that my hair would be scary without conditioner. I've been using the CWC method, generously slathering my hair with conditioner both before and after shampooing for years. Recently I wanted to do some Manic Panic turquoise in my hair and the directions say to wash without conditioning. So I did, and my hair felt just the same as if I had used conditioner. I did this for about a month before DD and I finally managed to get our schedules together to do the Manic Panic, and it wasn't until the last wash that I could tell a difference in my hair. Apparently conditioner ingredients cling onto hair, and it can take quite a long time to get it all off.

So now I use maybe a quarter-size dollop of conditioner after washing, and my hair is very happy with this, maybe even better than it was when I used to smother it with conditioner. Therefore, I'd have to say that no - you don't necessarily need conditioner.

Good stuff. Just want to say I love all your differing siggies - and I like the MP turquoise lights atm!

Celebrian
November 27th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I only use "standard" conditioner once a week. (I do use coconut oil, but not "conditioner".) I use Aussie 3MM once a week and other than that I don't use any. My hair doesn't like conditioner. I've done this for years with no ill effect. :)

Does 3MM have silicones? It used to make my hair very silky I remember.

seaj
November 27th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I don't use conditioner very often, and certainly not every time I wash my hair. My hair is always coated with a super thin layer of sebum. To shampoo, I dilute a squirt of shampoo in a large cup of water, then I just pour it through my hair. It's gentle enough to remove all the extra sebum without stripping everything out.

mz_grim
November 27th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I have to use conditioner or I will end up with a matted mess that I cant get a comb through.

almond
November 28th, 2011, 12:38 AM
I tried to go without conditioner for a few months because I thought that less products would be better for my hair. It looked a bit thicker, but broke more easily and it was hard to detangle, so I'm sure my hair needs conditioner.

Celebrian
August 28th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I'm still confused (months on)!

I can't work out whether my hair wants it or not. Anyway, tonight I've shampooed with a mijd medicated shampoo and just combed through (hard work, true)! I think I'll get some apple cider vinegar in and try that next shampoo.

Oh, nearly forgot to say - I actually put a couple of drops of Olive oil mixed with a few drops Lavender EO and a sprinkling of water in the palm of my hands and spread that through when my hair was about 70% dry. I'll see what it's like in the morning.

moxamoll
August 28th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I don't use "conditioner" per se, but I do use catnip tea, ACV, lemon rinses, mineral oil and panacea... so I guess it depends on how you define your terms. ;)

afu
August 28th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I only use conditioner, for me it's shampoo which isn't required!

when I was water only I found that i didn't need any conditioner, my natural oils were enough. But if I shampoo I definitly need something to replace what the shampoo has stripped off, whether than be oil or conditioner (usually both, my hair hates shampoo!)

dwell_in_safety
August 28th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I tried going without conditioner once, when I clarified. I heavily oiled with coconut oil and washed it out with conditioner within a day. LOL

lapushka
August 28th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I've only ever not used conditioner in the last decade or so when my hair was short. Otherwise it's impossible to get through. The torture!

When I was a teen, I used to only shampoo my hair, but my shampoo was (Garnier Fructis) stacked with silicones, so I probably didn't need conditioner.

Deborah
August 28th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I usually wash with conditioner (sometimes other methods), but NEVER use it as one uses conditioner. I just wash, rinse, then do a final rinse of citric acid in cold water, which I don't rinse out. This works great for me.

So many complain that their hair is oily so quickly, they have to wash so often, etc. Maybe they are like me, and just don't need conditioner at all.

MrsGuther
August 28th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I always use conditioner, but I would be interested to hear how your results are with not using it! :)

Iolanthe13
August 28th, 2012, 09:34 PM
My "no conditioner" experiments have been a by-product of my catnip rinse experiments. At first, my hair tangles more easily and seems drier, but after a week or so of gentle shampoo and catnip it's very shiny and healthy. Catnip doesn't give me the same slip that even no-cone conditioners do, but it protects against the split ends that the tangles might otherwise cause.

I haven't tried using oil instead of conditioner, but that might be interesting too. Even though my hair is fine, tangly and somewhat damaged, I've found it reacts well to most of the LHC-safe methods I've tried. Going without any moisturising treatment would probably just turn my wurls into frizz, though.

morrigan*
August 29th, 2012, 03:22 AM
My "no conditioner" experiments have been a by-product of my catnip rinse experiments. At first, my hair tangles more easily and seems drier, but after a week or so of gentle shampoo and catnip it's very shiny and healthy. Catnip doesn't give me the same slip that even no-cone conditioners do, but it protects against the split ends that the tangles might otherwise cause.

I haven't tried using oil instead of conditioner, but that might be interesting too. Even though my hair is fine, tangly and somewhat damaged, I've found it reacts well to most of the LHC-safe methods I've tried. Going without any moisturising treatment would probably just turn my wurls into frizz, though.

I'm too started using catnip, but for me it gave me more slip that no cone conditioners. But i also use vinegar rinse after shampoo, and really small amount of oils.

At first i was afraid of not using conditioner, but i didn't get any results when i was using catnip and conditioner together, so i tried without conditioner with great results :D

EtherealDoll
August 29th, 2012, 04:08 AM
I have tried only shampooing and it worked well when I had oiled my hair generously a few hours before washing.

Celebrian
August 29th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I don't use "conditioner" per se, but I do use catnip tea, ACV, lemon rinses, mineral oil and panacea... so I guess it depends on how you define your terms. ;)

No, I didn't mean what you mention - but will consider using those.

My oil/water/lavender mix was reasonable, if not brilliant.

About as good as many other conventional conditioners!

Celebrian
August 31st, 2012, 01:48 PM
Wow, lots of interesting responses!

Yes, I keep meaning to try CO washing anyway, as I often wonder if my greasy roots/dry ends would like it.

Tonight I washed my hair (which still had a small residue of olive oil from my last wash) with a mild medicated shapmoo, and then used a tablespoon of ACV in a pint water to rinse. I squished that through for about a minute and then rinsed out.

Will see how hair is tomorrow morning.

Suze2012
August 31st, 2012, 01:59 PM
Years ago..persuaded by a hairdresser who had retired I gave up conditioner and only used the shampoo she recommended.

I lasted a very few days as I couldn't get tangles out and there was no 'freedom' . It was goinng to get matted if I didn't use some sort of conditioner!

Now I co wash everyday, but also deep treat and sulphate free poo once a week..and my hair loves all the conditioner. :0)

bunnylake
January 5th, 2013, 10:27 AM
I actually tried this twice and I must say it's pleasantly surprising. I'm going to do an experiment and try only using conditioner once every few washes and only on the last few inches of my length. It seems that without conditioner, my hair is lighter and fuller and actually much less frizzy! Believe it or not!
I tried it the first time because I was going to use Manic Panic dye, and I read somewhere that it would work better on clarified unconditioned hair. I was sure my hair would be a disaster when it dried, but it actually wasn't.
I tried it again this morning because my hair has been really lank lately. I oiled my ends a few days ago and for some reason I couldn't get all of the oil out, so I figured I'd skip conditioner this time. My hair is dry now and it looks better than it has in like YEARS. It's still shiny and frizz-free but not weighed down. I used Nature's Gate Henna shampoo, fyi.
Maybe this will even allow me to stretch washes for more than a day!

If you haven't tried it, give it a fair shot. It feels so counter intuitive but it might work better for some hair types. Especially those who have oily lank hair, like me.