PDA

View Full Version : 2 lazy wrap buns in 1 bun tutorial

twopoints
November 26th, 2011, 01:27 PM
This is a secure 1 horizontal stick bun. It's made from 2 lazy wrap buns (1 counter-clockwise, 1 clockwise) that form 2 loops that the hair stick is inserted into.

http://img1.douban.com/view/photo/thumb/public/p631820604.jpg

Instructions:
1. Form a ponytail with your left hand. Your thumb should be on the bottom and your other fingers (however many you use) on top. This position is important.
2. While still holding the ponytail, divide it into 2 equal sections: 1 right, 1 left. Place your left index finger in between the sections.
3. Take the right section and wrap it counter-clockwise over the top fingers (excluding index) and the rest over the base. (This is similar to a counter-clockwise lazy wrap bun.) This forms the right loop.
4. Take the left section and wrap it clockwise over your thumb and the rest around the base. (This is similar to a clockwise lazy wrap bun.) This forms the left loop.
5. Point your left index finger down and insert the stick in the right loop and exit out the left loop.

The instructions are here with images: http://www.douban.com/photos/album/33866682/. However, they're in Chinese. I don't know Chinese so the instructions I wrote are my interpretations after I tried and achieved something similar, if not the same.

bettylibertine
November 26th, 2011, 02:56 PM
That looks really cool!

Yozhik
November 26th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Very pretty, thanks for sharing!

Bene
November 26th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I'm gonna need someone to make a video, because I can't figure this thing out :laugh:

MissManda
November 26th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Oooh, I like that idea! :D My hair is too short for a regular lazy wrap bun right now, so I'll have to try this one out. The instructions make sense to me, but I wouldn't say no to a video tutorial, either!

I'll see if I can get a picture if my attempts at this are successful.

akuamoonmaui
November 26th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Haha! I loved the exclaimation point in the text!

Oh yeah, the bun is really pretty!

morrigan*
November 27th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Just try it. Really pretty :D

skraprchik
November 27th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I like it. Very clever. Now if only i had enough hair....

AnnaJamila
November 27th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Wow, I like this! I usually do a shell bun, this is a nice change! :)

purple_figtree
November 27th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I'm gonna need someone to make a video, because I can't figure this thing out :laugh:

Me neither.

Is it just me, or are there pictures for making two entirely different types of bun in the linked album?

Or maybe I'm especially dense today.

Bene
November 27th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Okay, I tried.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/IMG00245-20111127-1207.jpg

The instructions are somewhat unclear to me, this is the best I could do.

HairStickler
November 27th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Bene, that looks great!

MissManda
November 27th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Here is my attempt with an XL Flexi-8, although I think this style would look better with a regular hairstick instead. I don't know why, but it has gone lopsided on me during all of my attempts. Maybe I should start it closer to the left to counterbalance that... :laugh: I figured that it didn't need to be centered for demonstrational purposes, so there y'all go.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8239&pictureid=119869

I'm not sure if I'm securing it properly... Maybe that's why it starts out centered and goes to the right...

I'm determined to master this style. The LWB is my favorite go-to bun, but it's not possible at my length, so I like this as an alternative! :bounce:

MissManda
November 27th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Okay, this time I got it centered by starting slightly to the left.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8239&pictureid=119904

Am I doing this right?

naturegirl321
November 28th, 2011, 05:54 AM
video please

Sundial
November 28th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I did give this a try, but realized that I shouldn't be wrapping it that tightly because it was hard to insert a stick. It feels so secure though, much more than a regular lazy wrap bun and for some reason it felt more balanced too (probably because the weight was more distributed?).

So those planning on giving it a try may want to wrap a little more loosely. No pictures though because my hair is heavily layered and was sticking out all over the place.

darklion
November 29th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I agree that this felt much more secure than a regular lazy wrap. One note: this one is better suited to hair that is shorter than waist. I'm at tailbone and I wrapped and wrapped and wrapped. So if you are too short for lazy wrap... I bet this one will work for you!

WaitingSoLong
November 29th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Ok I just tried this, can we say MASHED POTATOES? lol My hair just fell apart the second I tried to put the stick in. I must be doing something wrong or as darklion said, my hair is too long.
When I wrapped the left tail, I had no place to secure the end?

All my LWB's come off lopsided. I find I have to start them practically by my ear to get them centered as the finished product. Same with an infinity bun.

Kaelee
June 27th, 2012, 11:02 AM
This is a secure 1 horizontal stick bun. It's made from 2 lazy wrap buns (1 counter-clockwise, 1 clockwise) that form 2 loops that the hair stick is inserted into.

http://img1.douban.com/view/photo/thumb/public/p631820604.jpg

Instructions:
1. Form a ponytail with your left hand. Your thumb should be on the bottom and your other fingers (however many you use) on top. This position is important.
2. While still holding the ponytail, divide it into 2 equal sections: 1 right, 1 left. Place your left index finger in between the sections.
3. Take the right section and wrap it counter-clockwise over the top fingers (excluding index) and the rest over the base. (This is similar to a counter-clockwise lazy wrap bun.) This forms the right loop.
4. Take the left section and wrap it clockwise over your thumb and the rest around the base. (This is similar to a clockwise lazy wrap bun.) This forms the left loop.
5. Point your left index finger down and insert the stick in the right loop and exit out the left loop.

The instructions are here with images: http://www.douban.com/photos/album/33866682/. However, they're in Chinese. I don't know Chinese so the instructions I wrote are my interpretations after I tried and achieved something similar, if not the same.

My hair laughs at that. I think it's too short :(

dwell_in_safety
June 27th, 2012, 12:00 PM
That's pretty! I think I'll try this myself the next time I want to throw mine up into a lazy wrap. :D

Firefly
June 27th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Love that! Can't wait to try it-- thank you for sharing. :thumbsup:

pink.sara
June 27th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Awesome, might actually be able to do this. Will try it later, thank you for posting :)

WaitingSoLong
June 27th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Ok I managed it. I had to wrap a lot of times but it holds, however, it pulls in a way that gives me a headache. I will try it again tomorrow and see if it was just poor placing of the stick or something. It makes quite a protruding bun on me so I am not sure I would wear it. The LWB lays much flatter on my head.

HairStickler
June 27th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I tried it again today, too, after seeing this thread. It is holding well so far and it is comfortable. I will definitely do this bun again.

WaitingSoLong
June 29th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I took pictures the last time I tried this. I did ot wear it, just long enough to take pics. It looks ok fromthe back but I don't like the ways it looks from the side or how it "hangs" on my head.
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/DSC01449.jpghttp://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/DSC01450.jpg

Bagginslover
June 29th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I like the look of this, I'll have to try it out when I get home ;)

Kina
January 31st, 2014, 03:06 PM
did anyone ever do a video on this one?

Hootenanny
January 31st, 2014, 03:33 PM
The directions sound exactly like what I do when I make a disc bun. What's the difference between this and the disc?

Inga-Marjukka
March 31st, 2016, 11:16 AM
This holds like a rock! I think the instructions are clear and it's not difficult once you get the hang of it. This is my new go-to. :joy:

Cg
March 31st, 2016, 01:33 PM
I believe this is called a disc bun.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 31st, 2016, 01:40 PM
I think it's a disc bun....Isn't it?

Inga-Marjukka
March 31st, 2016, 04:42 PM
I think so too! I've seen photos of disc buns but wasn't too sure because I'm still quite a newbie.

meteor
March 31st, 2016, 05:07 PM
^ Yes, from the instructions in OP (I can't see the actual photos, unfortunately), it does sound like the disc bun. :agree:

By the way, it's worth mentioning that the "ponytail" can be split into more than just 2 sections - for example, Arctic had a tutorial of her 3-strand Disc Bun in her blog. ;)
But even more strands are possible (if your fingers are nimble enough). The shorter and/or thicker the hair is, the more strands one can split the ponytail into in order to make a bun, which is why the Disc Bun is possible on shorter lengths than the LWB, for example. ;)

MsPharaohMoan
March 31st, 2016, 10:14 PM
Yep, I've been loving the disc bun lately. More strands?? I had no idea! Time to experiment! :rolling:

Captamericium
April 5th, 2016, 06:54 PM
The disc bun is almost possible with my hair and it's a few inches shorter than APL though it is super thick, but more than two strands might make this possible! Thank you for the tip, I never thought about that!!