PDA

View Full Version : Palm oil and hair?

PeachyWavy
November 26th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Does anyone use this? I accidentally bought a huge tub of the unrefined palm oil at a local Indian store. It's... well... orange! I'm a bit scared to use it on my hair, so people's experiences would be most welcome. Would I be best off throwing the whole thing out for lack of a use for it?

TIA! :D

coffinhert
November 26th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't use palm oil in hair, it's the stickiest oil and is not liquid at room temp.

You can use it in baking any time shortening or lard is called for.

Melisande
November 26th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I had a tin of palm oil as present - spoon brand it's called. I researched it and found that there are ecological problems with harvesting the oil so I wouldn't buy it. But its characteristics are similar to coconut oil and I use it as such.

I mixed a deep treatment with conditioner, palm oil and honey which is very good for my hair. And I made a body cream based on it, with avocado oil, olive oil, bees wax and some other goodies - cornstarch if I remember well. I like it very much.

But my oil is not orange but yellowish. the smell is okay, not unpleasant, natural.

What is written on your oil? I wouldn't throw it out so quickly.

kyandii
November 26th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I'd recomend reading this! https://phoenix.lush.co.uk/content/view/250
It's a Lush Cosmetics Article on palm oil.

Cassie 123
November 26th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I have tried it on my hair. Unsurprisingly, it made the ends of my grey hairs (temporarily) yellow. So unless that's what you want, I don't recommend it!

But the bright coloration is supposed to be from beta-carotene, which is of course good to eat. Perhaps try using it when you make a curry or other dish suited to strong flavors and colors.

ktani
November 26th, 2011, 11:13 AM
You have unrefined palm oil and people have liked it here.

It should be just fine to use.

Experiment with it and see if you like it too.

PeachyWavy
November 26th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks very much ktani! I will experiment!

And yes, I'm now aware of the ecological problems surrounding palm oil, and I wouldn't repurchase it. Like I said, the fact I've got it in the first place was a complete accident!

Thank you everybody! :)

ktani
November 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks very much ktani! I will experiment!

And yes, I'm now aware of the ecological problems surrounding palm oil, and I wouldn't repurchase it. Like I said, the fact I've got it in the first place was a complete accident!

Thank you everybody! :)

You are very welcome for my part.

Here is where Greenpeace stands on the issue. Vendors use information for their own interests. I prefer other sources even if the information turns out to be similar or the same.

http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/en/campaigns/forests/forests-worldwide/paradise-forests/palm-oil/
"Greenpeace is not against palm oil or the palm oil industry. We are against the destruction of rainforests and the massive climate pollution that has resulted from the reckless expansion of palm plantations. We believe companies should stop buying and trading palm oil from suppliers linked to forest and peatland destruction. By doing so, companies will create a market incentive that will translate to better environmental practices by suppliers."

Pacific
November 30th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I have unrefined palm oil and it's orange, too. I use it as a leave in and for a deep treatment. As my hair is red, the oil's color is no problem for me. My hair loves palm oil better than coconut oil.