PDA

View Full Version : Lint?? How can be defined pls

Viperalus
November 25th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Hello,

This is my first post on this board (the only board related to hair).

I found this site from a thread about lint on hair. English is not my native language so I tried to translate the word 'lint' but no lack.
I Googled it but again with no luck. So I would like to ask here how can we define lint on hair?

I have found a photo on the internet of a guy with long hair and I am posting it here because I think how the strands at the bottom of his hair look, maybe this is lint on hair.
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af334/Viperalus/Hair/IsthisLintinhair.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help
:waving:

GuinevereMay
November 25th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Maybe you're thinking of velcro or split ends. Either way, that guy has great color!

Viperalus
November 25th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Hi thanks for your reply.

"velcro"?? I know what velcro is but what it means in relation to hair.

Sorry if it'll disappoint you but the photograph has not natural colors
;)

GuinevereMay
November 25th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Velcro is like when your ends are so dry they stick together.

Viperalus
November 25th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Oh I see now, thanks.

Some months ago I had split ends, I used to trim my hair every 3 months just a bit the ends. But with care and love I don't have any split ends and it's about six months that I haven't trimmed it.

Pierre
November 25th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Lint is bits of fiber of thread that come loose from cloth. A dryer has a lint filter, because tumbling clothes produces lint, which can get stuck in the mechanism if it's not filtered out. I've also seen cotton fibers that haven't been spun yet called lint.

katsrevenge
November 25th, 2011, 04:32 PM
'LInt' is little bits and pieces of fabric, thread and fluffy stuff from, clothing, blankets and coats (like from a wool blanket, that fluffy stuff that comes off the blanket) that can get stuck in long hair. It's a problem because it makes your hair tangle and knot.

Velcro is this stuff.
http://technologyinventions.pbworks.com/f/1173362973/Velcro.jpg

When people have hair that is very dry or damaged it will stick together like this stuff does.

GRU
November 25th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Lint is like dust, usually made up of the little bits of fibers that shed off of fabrics. (If you use a clothes drying machine, it's the stuff that collects in the filter that you have to clean off after every load.) If you have a dark rug or blanket or coat and it gets light-colored little bits of "fluff" on it, that fluff is what we call lint. (Those same random bits of fabric fibers can also land in your hair, and will show up in your brush or comb after you use it on your hair.)

"Velcro" hair refers to dry/damaged ends that seem to reach out and grab each other, causing tangles that wouldn't form ordinarily.

Split ends are when the hair shaft is damaged and literally splits into two (or even more) different shafts. There is no way to repair this damage, although every product out there tries to make us think otherwise. (Those products tend to "glue" the splits together, but they come apart again when the product is washed out.)

Frizz refers to hairs that don't sit smoothly in the same direction, but stick out in all directions instead. A really extreme example of frizz would be this picture (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/b4-brushedout.jpg?t=1257216903) from two years ago when I brushed out my curls. Frizz is usually the result of waves or curls that have had their natural wave/curl pattern disrupted (typically by combing or brushing).

The photo that you posted I think just shows dry/damaged ends that aren't sitting smoothly, so they look kind of frizzy. If you look at the first several inches of his hair from his scalp, it is relatively smooth, but the farther away from his scalp, the more damaged / dry / frizzy the hair starts to look. This is typical, particularly with folks who shampoo their hair with harsh detergent products or brush their hair roughly -- the longer the hair is, the more times it has been exposed to the harsh detergents or rough tugging, so that hair is more damaged than the "younger" ends near the scalp.

I hope that helps, and please feel free to ask for any clarification. I have the utmost respect for people who can read/write/speak another language!

Viperalus
November 25th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Thank you all for your replies. They were really helpful.

Frizz refers to hairs that don't sit smoothly in the same direction, but stick out in all directions instead. A really extreme example of frizz would be this picture (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/b4-brushedout.jpg?t=1257216903) from two years ago when I brushed out my curls. Frizz is usually the result of waves or curls that have had their natural wave/curl pattern disrupted (typically by combing or brushing).
Thanks GRU. Now that you mentioned frizz, the new hair that is growing are more curly than the rest of my hair and they form a kind of frizz on top of my hair, like the halo of a saint LOL. Is this normal for my type of hair or is it a hair care issue?

But I didn't use to apply conditioner on the top of my hair. Just the past weeks I have started using an Aloe Vera/Jojoba mix on my hair that I don't rinse it with water, I leave it on hair.

Viperalus
November 25th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Forgot to say, thank you GRU, in fact I speak three languages (and some Dutch).
:)

spidermom
November 25th, 2011, 05:08 PM
the new hair that is growing are more curly than the rest of my hair and they form a kind of frizz on top of my hair, like the halo of a saint LOL. Is this normal for my type of hair or is it a hair care issue?.

It's normal for most hair types. Only the very straightest hair types avoid this.