View Full Version : Help with these styles

Darkhorse1
November 25th, 2011, 12:49 PM
As we encroach on the holiday season, I'm trying to do some various hair styles, and I cannot figure them out.

one is the perimeter braid here
http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/perimeter.htm

The other is the 5 strand braid--for the life of me, I can't start it on my own head--I can do it only if my hair is to the side.

I looked on youtube and didn't find too many tutorials, (Thank you Torrin Page for your amazing tutorials and many others here for other styles)

My biggest issue is tangling at the ends of my braids---drives me nuts. I brush my hair out and even try to wet the ends down so they don't snag, but it never helps.

Any videos or photos would be great! :)

Madora
November 25th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Spidermom has done the perimeter braid so perhaps she could advise you on the technique.

I think Torrin has a tutorial on the perimeter braid on You Tube.

As for the tangling problem, I found that when you braid you have to gently rake your fingers down the strands each and every time you add a section, or do a cross over. Keeping the ends separate is half the battle. This might involve holding the braid with one hand while raking down with the other..but it is the only thing that works for me.

Torrin Paige
November 25th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Perimeter braiding is hard...I mean, I can do the braids, but the folding them in, attaching them to one another and then making them look nice is exceedingly difficult for me. I keep futzing around with them, but I've yet to make them look super cute. I've used them as accent braids (Arwen Battle Braid & Swoop Bun) and even threw up a tutorial on just a single one, but the kind that you linked to? Not even close to being in my wheelhouse yet. I wish you the best of luck on your quest, Darkhorse.

Oh, and BTW, it's just like Madora says with the braiding. You have to totally keep running your hands down the length of your hair to keep the ends from braiding. I covered that in my Double Dutch tutorial : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIsgDy50Cn0

supbanana
November 26th, 2011, 02:55 AM
The good news is that the Dreamweaver perimeter braid is actually very easy, once you know what you're doing! Look up Torrin's recent perimeter braid video. Now, part your hair evenly in the middle, and place half of your hair over the right shoulder, and half over the left (to keep it separated and out of the way of each other). Do a perimeter braid as Torrin instructs on both sides of your head. Then simply flip the braids back and clip together. :)

Spidermom has a picture of her hair in this style and it looks gorgeous. I did the same style for Thanksgiving, but haven't uploaded any pictures yet.

Also, I'm thirding the advice to just run your hand down your braid sections as you go. After a while it becomes a natural habit and you'll never deal with self-braiding ends again!