PDA

View Full Version : That's it... i'm cheating

DarkBeauty
November 25th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I am so frustrated with my hair, it doesn't grow... it just doesn't grow... it's been shedding like mad for 4 months and lost some thickness. In that time it has probably grown by 1/2 cm. The only solution to this is to buy real hair extentions, i don't care about the fakery stigma. Because with my own natural hair it will not grow. I feel like crying because i could grow my hair long before i got alot cut off and dyed (biggest regret ever) In that 4 month period i've also had anemia and a slight thyroid low function, with borderline vitamin D deficiency. But i'm not the person for waiting around. I'm annoyed, frustrated, my natural hair is not beautiful no matter what i eat/put onto it.

Yame
November 25th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Be sure to get the clip-on ones, then. Luxy extensions seem to be pretty good quality. The last thing you want right now is to get salon extensions which will damage your real hair and therefore hamper your growth, and make you feel even worse. But the clip-on extensions don't seem damaging, at least not if you don't have them on all the time. Give your hair a break from them once in a while and put your hair up.

Also, take care of your health... and take care of yourself. That is the most important thing, way more important than hair. Your hair will come around and will start growing again.

Heartwillfollow
November 25th, 2011, 08:33 AM
sending hugs your way.. It does take time for the body to recover and come back full circle so don't give up all hope. I would keep going with the higher nutrition to keep supporting your body's recovery. :) In the mean time 100% do what makes you feel your best :)

Neneka
November 25th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I think there is nothing wrong with hair extensions. And I don't think it's actually cheating. If they will make you happier about yourself you should get them. :) Many people dye their hair and use make up (so do I). Some people have fake nails. I wasn't born with my tattoos either. These things are something we do to feel good and they are pretty harmless. So why not? :)

Also, take care of yourself!

spidermom
November 25th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Look to your health first and your hair will improve (most likely). Have you tried getting a photo once a month or even less often? Hair growth is so gradual that we often don't notice that it has, in fact, grown. I used to look at the back of my hair in the mirror about 9 times per day, hoping I'd see growth, and guess what? I never did. When I stopped looking at it so often, I started seeing progress.

Be careful about extensions. If your hair is fragile, you could damage it by clipping extensions in.

I used to have a couple of wigs to have fun with when my hair was frustratingly short and growing sooooooooooo s l o w l y. Now my hair is far longer than my wigs.

LovingLife
November 25th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Don't feel bad about your hair :)
Its always darkest before dawn and hair definetely grows in stages :)

moon2dove
November 25th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I am so frustrated with my hair, it doesn't grow... it just doesn't grow... it's been shedding like mad for 4 months and lost some thickness. In that time it has probably grown by 1/2 cm. The only solution to this is to buy real hair extentions, i don't care about the fakery stigma. Because with my own natural hair it will not grow. I feel like crying because i could grow my hair long before i got alot cut off and dyed (biggest regret ever) In that 4 month period i've also had anemia and a slight thyroid low function, with borderline vitamin D deficiency. But i'm not the person for waiting around. I'm annoyed, frustrated, my natural hair is not beautiful no matter what i eat/put onto it.

Sending you :grouphug:

I know it's hard when your hair doesn't grow and it sheds through thyroid.
There is light at the end of the tunnel and when health returns, your hair will too.
Don't give up.
I think if you do decide on extensions, go for the clip on's, but I do agree, if your hair is fragile you should be careful.

Take care of yourself!

Darkhorse1
November 25th, 2011, 12:51 PM
((((hugs))) I know that anemia really affects your hair. :(

Don't stress about it you will have long hair and from your avatar, it looks gorgeous to me :)

Gingerbear
November 25th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I am a new member but I thought I would put my 2 cents in about extensions. I have really fine, silky hair, but a normal amount of it (not sparse, but not super thick). I put extensions in several years ago after a bad layered haircut. When I took the first set of extensions out, I had lost a TON of my normal hair volume to breakage. It looked so bad, I felt forced to put another set in to get me by. What I ended up doing was going through 3 sets of extensions and putting less in each time to "wean" me off. It took longer but was more tolerable to me than going cold turkey with my hair looking so sparse. I finally have them out and am now growing out my real hair. It looks great to just below my ears, then is really thin down to APL. My plan now is to maintain with trims while the healthier part catches up. My point, however, is if I had grown my hair out originally after the bad haircut, I probably would have really healthy APL or longer hair by now. I think what happens is your normal hair can be thinner or weaker than the extension hair (which is often Indian or Asian hair)--so when your natural hair twists around or rubs up against the extension hair, it is the first to break since it is not as strong. I think clip in's would be fine for occasional use, but it sounds like you want to wear them more often. I don't know how recent your photo is, but to me your hair looks gorgeous. Keep in mind we are always our own worst critic. :) Hang in there.

KwaveT
November 25th, 2011, 05:47 PM
All the problems you mention will affect your hair growth. I had a customer the other day that says that her MBL hair has not grown in SIX years. She mentioned the doctor has her on 50000 units of Vitamin D because of it. I told her that is the problem with her hair. She had no idea there was any correlation between the two. It will take months after problems are cleared up to start seeing growth. Just hang in there and don't damage your hair with extensions.

ericthegreat
November 25th, 2011, 06:21 PM
If getting extensions will make you happy, then by all means go out and get them. :)

We all have a personal right to make our own choices about how we choose to look. It is indeed true that getting extensions now will give you that instant satisfaction, and if you simply just can't wait any longer to have that longer, thicker hair of your dreams, then you shouldn't have to wait.

I would recommend however that you do go out and buy those clip-in extensions, which are the temporary kind and you can clip them in and take them off yourself so they are much less damaging to your own hair than the more permanent kind of extensions. The permanent kind of extensions place so much extra weight and pressure onto your already vulnerable hair strands, and your hair strands would then be subjected to that level of stress 24/7, so common sense will tell you that will only cause you to lose even more precious hair.

Ceridwen Iris
November 25th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I'm new to LHC and so haven't really drunk the kool-aid with regard to natural hair as yet but I don't see the problem with hair extensions for those who like them. Putting your hair in a bunch of braids on your head is no more or less 'natural' than wearing hair extensions to my mind. It is all decoration and if you like it, who is to tell you otherwise?

What is the point of your hair, long or short, if you can't enjoy it?

Danni5173
November 25th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I know how you feel- I have been there. It has taken me 4 years to get my hair to APL. My hair was only above my neck and wouldn't grow. I never even had to trim- it just didn't grow.
My hair was so short- it wasn't long enough to get extensions without them being visible. I did cry after that. What little hair I had was (and still is) pretty thin. I used to have majorly thick fast growing hair when I was a teenager.

Admittedly, my doctor told me I needed to make some changes in my eating habits, take vitamins, and gain some weight. Oddly, I didn't feel I had an eating disorder but now I have accepted that I did have one.
Once I started eating right and taking vitamins- my hair started to grow and has remained growing pretty well. I over proteined my hair recently so I'm fixing that hopefully.

I firmly believe you need to start from the inside out for your hair and overall health. What good is pretty hair if you are too sick to show it off?
I would hang in there- don't trim it- even a little bit and give it TLC while your health gets back in balance.
You will have even more beautiful hair- if the avatar is you- your hair looks gorgeous right now.

Just don't give up on your hair. I'm not totally anti extension whatsoever- I came to the conclusion I didn't want them anymore once my hair was long enough- but if that will make you feel better- go for it. Just be prepared for damage after you remove them. I'm pretty sure there will be some, only you can say if you want to take the chance.
Good luck- I know how your feeling for sure. You will feel much better when you are on the mend.