PDA

View Full Version : How do I clarify with regular white vinegar?

goldenwaves
July 9th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I know there are other threads about clarifying, but I can't find instructions on how to clarify with vinegar. If anyone knows of instructions, could you please point me in the right direction? Otherwise, how do I do it? Do I need to used distilled water? How much do I use? Do I need to condition afterwards? Thanks in advance!!! :)

aisling
July 9th, 2008, 06:02 AM
You don't actually clarify with vinegar. Sure, vinegar (diluted) can help products rinse out better, but it's not actually a clarifying treatment. Vinegar won't help with silicone buildup for example, you'll need a clarifying shampoo or to use baking soda for that (I don't recommend baking soda really).

ETA: Read this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=90551&postcount=5)

Riot Crrl
July 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
For me it can remove buildup, but it depends what the buildup is made up of. I'm very careful about what kinds of things I am building up, lol. It won't touch silicones.

Loviatar
July 9th, 2008, 04:07 PM
baking soda hijack: I have fine to medium hair and I use baking soda to clarify. A lot of people say it's harsh but I find no problems with it. I mix it into a paste and rub it through my hair (mostly on my scalp, but I run my fingers down the length and 'lather' til my fingertips feel soapy. Then I rinse and wash as normal.

HTH, just my 2 cents.

goldenwaves
July 9th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Oh OK, thanks! I may try baking soda or a clarifying shampoo. The article was very informative, thank you.

girlcat36
July 9th, 2008, 08:13 PM
My hair is very fine and fragile, but can handle clarifying with baking soda. I don't put it directly on my hair. I make a rinse of about 1 tsp. BS to 20 oz water, and just pour it over wet hair, then shampoo and lots of conditioner.