PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use baby shampoo???

Annibelle
November 25th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Okay... I tried doing a search for this, thinking there MUST be a thread, but I couldn't find one! :mad: So now I'm asking you all... do any of you use baby shampoo???

Why I'm considering it:
I have a sensitive scalp that doesn't need much cleansing, but it does need shampoo-- any oil on my scalp makes my hair fall out.

Why I'm afraid to try it:
I've heard (SOMEWHERE on the board!) that baby shampoo is actually harsher than adult shampoos because it's formulated to combat cradle cap. Is this true???

What do you think? :) Have you ever tried it? Have you heard anything about it for adults?

sbhonda
November 25th, 2011, 08:05 AM
The baby shampoo I tried (Wegmans brand) was very harsh. In fact, the only reason I used it was because I was trying to strip dye out of my hair, and it did do that. It made my hair feel horribly dry, even while I was still in the shower. If you're looking for a gentle shampoo, you could try something sulfate free. I use L'Oreal Eversleek. That's what works best for me. You could also try CO-washing, but I don't have any experience with that at the moment.

LocustSpawning
November 25th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Yeah, it's definitely harsher.

Try using a shampoo that has lower sulphates, so it mildly cleanses but not so much that it would dry out your hair. I use Tresemme Naturals shampoo and it has sulphates in it, but not SLS, weaker, less harsh ones. It works fine, cleanses without drying. :)

Or you could try a completely sulphate free one. My hair works best with a little bit of sulphates, just not harsh ones!

Annibelle
November 25th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the responses! I was afraid those were the answers I was gonna get. ;) Part of the reason I was hoping the baby shampoo would be good is because I love the smell... :) Oh, well. I'll just keep experimenting! The only shampoo I've used that was good for me is an SLS-free (but sulfated) adult one.

Neoma
November 25th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Have you considered some of the natural brands, such as California Baby? They are totally different from Johnson's Baby products -- very natural and mild. I've used CB in the past and really liked it.

Annibelle
November 25th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Neoma, I'll look into that! :) Thanks!

Neoma
November 25th, 2011, 11:01 AM
You're very welcome, Annibelle. :flower:

Freckled.Thing
November 25th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Hmmm, if that doesn't work maybe you could just dilute the shampoo that you usually use? It's an idea.

Jessibear2854
November 25th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I use diluted Suave Free and Gentle 2 in 1 kid's shampoo and I love it. Started using it for the same reason (I washed my son's hair with it and loved the smell). I'm sure it has all sorts of SLS and whatnot in it, but it makes my hair happy!

lau_g
November 25th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I use Nivea Baby shampoo,i don't know if there are Nivea products in USA.It's really gentle,has the sulphates on the end of the ingredients list.I have SD and a very very oily scalp.The extra sensitive chamomile shampoo made my scalp produce less oil and I can strech my washes to 2 times a week:D .I really like fragranced hair products,but I think I'll skip to just using Herbal essenses conditioner,i don't wanna try any other shampoos,i'm afraid i'll get dissapointed,even if they do smell good. I know it's not in the thread,but does anyone tryied a Herbal Essenses shampoo that doesn't make your hair oily? :bounce:

Annibelle
November 25th, 2011, 12:38 PM
We have Nivea products here-- I'll check for that baby shampoo when I go shopping! I tried finding an ingredients list online but had no luck. :( But the chamomile sounds great! I've fallen in love with chamomile since I bought my latest shampoo. It smells sort of like a baby shampoo. :)

lau_g
November 25th, 2011, 12:46 PM
http://www.nivea.de/Produkte/NIVEA-Baby/shampoo-und-bad

lau_g
November 25th, 2011, 12:52 PM
It washes pretty well you just have to use a little bit more than usual:).I don't know actually my hair is kinda thin,like baby's hair :))

spidermom
November 25th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I like to dilute my shampoo. It cleans just as well (most of the time) but doesn't leave my hair feeling stripped.

Gingerbear
November 25th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Baby shampoo is harsher because it is formulated at a higher pH than regular shampoo so that it doesn't sting if it gets in a baby's eyes (hence the "no more tears" slogan...)

Demetrue
November 25th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Johnson and Johnson has come under fire some of the ingredients in their baby shampoo:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45111139/ns/health-childrens_health/t/activists-call-boycott-johnson-johnson-over-chemicals-baby-shampoo/#.TtAdc7Kd4lY

Annibelle
November 25th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I knew Johnson and Johnson had some issues with their products, so I didn't even look at theirs when I went shopping tonight... but there was only one other brand being sold! I forgot what it's called, but it had a duck on it. It was sulfate-free and paraben-free, but I had no idea what all of the other chemicals were. It also didn't have that nice baby shampoo smell. :p

Copasetic
November 25th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I use Johnson and Johnson naturals baby shampoo. It's great for me. I honestly don't know what people mean when they say it is "harsher" than other shampoos, so I can't speak to that. I like it because it doesn't over-clean my hair. Strictly CO doesn't work for me because after a few days my scalp gets really itchy and I get terrible dandruff-like symptoms. But when I was my hair with a traditional shampoo, my hair gets way too clean. It ends up fluffy and hard to control. With baby shampoo my hair gets clean, but still retains enough oil that it looks good.

MrsGuther
November 25th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I wouldn't recommend using baby shampoo on your hair and scalp. It's very harsh. The ph is formulated so it won't irritate baby's eyes, but it is super drying on hair and scalp.

starlamelissa
November 25th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I use either baby aquaphor baby shampoo or baby naturals depending on what costs less.

Definitely not stripping. Check out what the beauty brains blog has to say about baby shampoo. It's not harsh, leaves some of the natural sebum in your hair.

holothuroidea
November 25th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I used to use California Baby Super Sensitive. The surfactants in it are decyl and laurel glucoside, which are the mildest cleansers commercially available. In addition to that, the first ingredient (aside from water) is Aloe Vera. It is a very gentle shampoo and my hair loved it. I only stopped using it because I went commercial-free. If you can find it, I highly recommend. :)