PDA

View Full Version : Why did you choose your length goal and not another one?

shikara
November 24th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Why did you pick your length goal, and not another one? Is it just how it looks? Manageability? Styling reasons? Ease of care? Versatility? http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_208958cc.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=208958cc.jpg)

krissykins
November 24th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I chose tailbone length as a goal because I want long hair, but I still want to be able to wear it while it's down and not sit on it. :p

I'm considering growing to my knees just to see if I can, then chopping it back up to TBL if it's unmanageable.

Lici1209
November 24th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Looks and manageability mostly. While a lot of people on here pull of extremely long hair (classic or longer is extremely long to me :P) I don't think it would look very good on me. Also I can't imagine the tangles!

CurlyCap
November 24th, 2011, 09:59 PM
My goal is just a vague guestimate based on old pictures when I didn't care about how long my hair was. :shrug:

I just want it long enough to be described as having "long hair" instead of "short". Also, I found that my anxiety about my hair went down spades when it became long enough to put it up and play with it a it. I suspect that I'll let it grow until I'm sick of taking care of the extra length. Then I'll cut back to where I was last happy.

Of course, all of that is about 10 years in the future, so I'm making glass ball predictions. :D

spidermom
November 24th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I chose classic length because of a girl in grade school. I couldn't get enough of looking at her hair, and although it took me until my mid-40s to leave my hair alone and let it grow, I still want hair like hers.

Qadupae
November 24th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I chose tailbone because there are enough women around here with hip that it wouldn't seem long enough, but at the same time I didn't want to be sitting on my hair. It should also be long enough to do some pretty fancy updos at that length.

Kibeth
November 24th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I always wanted hair long enough for me to sit on when it's braided in a single English braid. On me, that's classic and I'm fine with that. Any longer and I think it would get in my way.

cnd0020
November 24th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Why did you pick your length goal, and not another one? Is it just how it looks? Manageability? Styling reasons? Ease of care? Versatility? http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_208958cc.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=208958cc.jpg)

I've had MBL hair. And I've had a pixie cut two different times (I loved it! It was so cute and easy!)

But my new goal is APL to Waist or Hips.

My inspiration is my 23 y/o little sister, who has had WL hair for the last 3 years. She's in a college town where anything past BSL is considered LONG. And she ended up with WL completely on accident, through the "benign neglect" treatment!

I just really think it looks pretty on her, AND it's a bit of rebellion against "the social norm." Being a friendly non-conformist totally appeals to me!

tamchronic
November 24th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I'd like tailbone length hair, for reasons others have already cited: I'd like it to be very long, but just short enough that I can still wear it down with relative ease. I imagine that if my hair was any longer, I'd be accidentally sitting on it all the time :)

MandyBeth
November 24th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Waist or hip as past that will be awful for ground work in martial arts. Plus that work does massive damage to my ends, so got me, that may get shortened yet. Plus my big badonkadonk, don't want to grow over it.

AlabasterAlice
November 24th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I want my hair to stay around hip length, because my mental image of that length makes me feel happy, pretty, and right. I do plan to grow it past that though, and then dye the ends some fun color like purple or teal...and when I get tired of it I'll chop off the dyed part back to hip-ish. :)

Yozhik
November 24th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I'm thinking somewhere between waist or hip is the best length on me.

BSL still felt fairly shortish, although I wouldn't be opposed to going back to it. Waist+ opened a lot of new bun style options for me, and I don't see myself growing any longer because of how horribly tangled it gets if I leave it down (even at this length).

dulce
November 24th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I had wanted tail bone which I had in my 20's and 30's but am older now and it is thinner so have decided to stay around waist and grow out my layers and see.Would prefer tailbone but not if it is too thin at that length.

aisha.christine
November 24th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I want to grow my hair to tailbone for the same reasons that other people chose tailbone; I think it is still considered "very" long by normal standards, but not long enough that I can't leave it down and enjoy it anywhere outside my home.

lajsa
November 24th, 2011, 10:49 PM
When I was little I thought waist-length was like the longest ever. Then I got here, looked at pictures, and decided that I'd rather have TBL. I don't know why... it feels like the first real "long hair" length... which is stupid since I've got hair to my hips now and that's actually pretty long. :p It's hard to appreciate your own length. But anyway, I picked TBL.

But now that I'm nearing it I think that maybe I'll let it grow further, like to classic maybe. If I don't like it I'll just cut back to TBL. I of course don't know for sure yet, but I think I might be able to handle having hair long enough to sit on; I already have started getting used to having my hair in that annoying length range where I have to tilt my head like a crazy person every time I open/close the pockets of my jackets - if I don't the hair gets stuck in the zippers and that hurts like ¤%#¤#& :mad::p

Miss Maisie
November 24th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I have a feeling that anything past BSL would be unmanageable for me, so that's my goal.

candycandace
November 24th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I also agree that I wouldn't be able to handle my hair past BSL. I guess I chose my length because it seems like the most realistic right now. I honestly can't imagine myself with TBL hair. I guess when I get to bsl, we'll see. :D

NativeGirl
November 24th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I chose mine because at the time I was BSL (when I joined TLHC) and hip length seemed forever away - I figured at least a year. Little did I know that I was gaining an inch of growth a month - even with trims, I'm a little less than 3 inches shy of reaching hip length. :) I like to give myself small goals, otherwise I feel like I'm not making progress. I feel better when I reach my smaller goals, at least hair-wise.

kanaka
November 24th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I always had TB length hair all my life and in my teens i had classic and now its again near to TBL. i miss my classic length hair and want to grow it. thats the reason.

But my favorite hair length is TBL

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 24th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I se to wear waist length extensions and liked the way that length looks on me the most. And everyone says that I "look" like I was born to have long hair. Suits me better, i have been told. So thats why I picked waist.

DancingQueen
November 25th, 2011, 12:41 AM
I chose hip because it is long, but not so long that I sit on it, and I will still be able to wear it down and do lots of hairstyles. And I like how it looks. :)

ibleedlipstick
November 25th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Because it is the only extreme I haven't gone to yet, as far as hair goes. In my area, waist and hip are fairly common, and I think a tailbone length braid with no taper is going to be awesome.

|Xei
November 25th, 2011, 02:57 AM
I've had long hair nearly all my life (I was rocking a mushroom cut until I was 3, then I decided long hair is beautiful), and I didn't really have a particular goal length in mind. I just wanted my hair long. It wasn't until I unknowingly hit hip last year that I decided, "wow, I really like how this looks on me." Since then, I've been keeping it around the same length.

Ceridwen Iris
November 25th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I've gone with waist/ tailbone as I've been there before ( albeit when I was a child) and, if I'm going to have hair below my shoulders, I actually prefer the length to weigh it down. It is BSL at the moment and booting everywhere.
I don't much care for the look of hair longer than that.

tigereye
November 25th, 2011, 03:29 AM
I chose classic. I have been as far as hip before, but I still felt I wanted it longer. I want to be able to sit down and have my hair long enough to land in my lap. I love the look of classic length hair and there are so many hair-style options, but it still seems like it would be reasonably manageable. Who know though. Maybe I'll get there and still want to go longer. I won't know til i get there.

PriscillaCherel
November 25th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I choose Tailbone, because I really want back at that length again. I am never been shorter then BSL :) Always Longer then that, I don't know how it feels to have short hair!

MonaLisa
November 25th, 2011, 03:46 AM
I'm terrible at making decsions. My goal length is anywhere from waist to classic haha...

But hip - TBL being favorite probably.
Might try classic, might cut back to waist someday when I'll be fed up...

Hip looks good, easy to wear down and style...I'm thinking TBL will be just longer version of that maybe. Classic...I'd be curious..if I can, and how it feels, but probably wouldn't keep it.

PaganPriestess
November 25th, 2011, 04:03 AM
I chose classic length because of a few reasons... 1) It's unusual, not many people will grow their hair past TBL (other than people on here lol)... 2) I like the name "Classic Length".. sounds so elegant 3) I've had hip-length hair before, so classic is something I haven't obtained yet, making it more of a challenge 4) I just absolutely love the way it looks & can't wait to get it!

kielrain
November 25th, 2011, 04:15 AM
I have classic down as I had hair that length at one point, and would love to do it again, only this time with hair of a better health. I liked classic, it felt... right on me.

ArienEllariel
November 25th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Because I'd look pretty silly with one half of my head of hair at knee and the other at classic!:p lol no, but really it's because I think it will look nice grown to knee.

fridgee
November 25th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I've chosen BSL (for the moment...) because that's where my hair was before I cut it off to chin length, and I want to get it long (I consider BSL the first 'long looking' length on me), but know that I'm going to have to maintain it a BSL to grow out my damaged layers before I can think about growing it any longer.

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 06:16 AM
TBL because of manageability. Like what everyone else said- any longer and I'd be sitting on it, and that, to me, is getting in the way. I'm also a fairly active person, so I really need it to be up comfortably. Since I have thick hair, it can get pretty heavy, and past TBL would be way too heavy for me. I already get headaches now.

Vanilla
November 25th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I chose waist because I've grown my hair to waist from shoulder length in high school. I chose something I've already achieved before, but I may change my goal once I'm there to something longer, like TBL or classic. We'll see.

bratz81
November 25th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I've chosen waist right now, as it'll still look and feel long, plus it won't be getting in the way too much at that point.
I did have classic length hair til I was around 21 when I cut it in a pixie and haven't had hair longer than what it is now since...and I'm not sure how good my hair will look that long as it's been so long.

So for now I'm aiming for waist then will see how good my hair looks and go from there.

jacqueline101
November 25th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I'm only 5ft 7 inches tail bone would be pretty long on me. I'm not overly tall. I don't think I'd like having hair much longer then tail bone I don't want to be sitting on it. I think my answer would be practical reasons.

kaiakai
November 25th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I didn't know what to put for my goal length, so I just put my current length. Growing my hair longer isn't something I am actively doing (although after joining LHC and seeing some of the longer hair styles, I am now tempted to grow it longer!).

I find that my current length is manageable, looks healthy, and doesn't get too thin looking at the bottom. I'm always worried that if I grow it too long it will just look limp and flat. However, I wear it up most of the time anyway these days, so I suppose ti doesn't matter that much now.

Funny.. I used to wear my hair down almost all the time, and now I can't stand my hair being around my face so much.

ashleyrox
November 25th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I want between BLS and waste because I think that is a very pretty, yet manageable length for me. But that length is not set in stone anywhere, I shall see where the road takes me!

lapushka
November 25th, 2011, 08:15 AM
My goal's classic because I had that as a young teen, and that's the longest my hair ever was. I'm not sure I'm going to get to classic, seems awfully long now and still so far away. Before I cut back to BSL, the length I had was hip and that seemed long enough already. But who knows?

Yame
November 25th, 2011, 08:18 AM
My current goal is TB but I seriously think by the time I get there I'll decide to go for classic. I want a length that doesn't just look long, but looks *very* long.

Past classic, I think longer hair would not suit me. I have this idea in my mind that if my hair is half as long as I am tall, it will look flattering, but beyond that I might look weird.

Not that that's weird on everyone... I've seen some amazing thigh length, knee length, and ankle length heads of hair on here... but it wouldn't feel like me.

Madora
November 25th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Some of my hair is about classic now but I really want to grow another 7 inches and reach my goal of 50 inches. I enjoyed my 47 inch hair when I had it and would like to achieve that length again.

I LOVE the versatility that long hair offers!

summergreen
November 25th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I want to grow to terminal length because I like both the look and the idea of hair that's never been cut. But, I think terminal on me will be classic at most - I'm already very tapered at hip, although that's partly because of growing out colour and heat damage - and if it did turn out to be knee length or something like, I might cut it back to classic or tailbone because that would be easier to wear down.

mrs_coffee
November 25th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Waist length seems manageable to me and I just like the way it looks. I always reserve the right to change my mind once I get there, however. ;)

moxamoll
November 25th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I don't have a goal length. I've had WL before, but I really don't remember what that was like on a day to day basis. :p I'm just going to stop doing big chops and see what I think as it grows.

skraprchik
November 25th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I chose mine because it seems improbable to me, and I also like the look of MBL on others. I don't ever remember my hair getting much past shoulder, so anything beyond that is a dream come true. I also want hair long enough to bun in a variety of styles. I likely will just get to my goal and practice benign neglect.

ladyfey
November 25th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I've chosen to stay at knee because I have 2 little kids and longer than that was just more trouble than it was worth, so I trimmed back to knee!

charchar1711
November 25th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Every time I see someone with like waist length hair i cant help but think how beautiful it looks, my hair used to be a couple of inches above waist length and i loved it, then i stupidly got it chopped to chin length :/

trilobite
November 25th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I've had longer hair, but now I keep it more or less at my waist. For me, any longer seems to take on a life of it's own. It's like a pet. I probably should amend my stats.

auroraclio
November 25th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I've never had hair longer than APL, so I chose waist, anything longer than that sounds frightening at this point ha

VikingVampChick
November 25th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I started out choosing BSL bec of a picture of me in elementary school with that length (or close to it). Then I figured wl - what the hell, not much longer. Then one of our French members (sorry, can't remember her name - dark hair w/turquoise roots) posted a pic of her knee-length English braid. KL braided is my new ultimate goal :D

ETA: The member whose picture inspired my new goal is slz

Mayflower
November 25th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I want hiplenght hair because in my opinion and on me, it is the gateway between long and too long. Hiplenght would mean it would just cover my bellybutton when pulled in front of me, and I think that is the perfect lenght. :p

But, I gotta be honest here. I've always thought waistlenght hair would feel super duper long but it still doesn't haha. So I don't exclude the possibility of, when reaching my goal, wanting tailbonelenght hair. But first I want to get rid of these damn layers, so that it actually FEELS waistlenght and not just the longest layer!

LoversLullaby
November 25th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I chose tailbone for the same reason that a lot here did: so I could still wear it down when I felt like it without sitting on it. I wear my hair down about 40% of the time, and I'd still like to be able to do that when it's long.

PlainLight
November 25th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I chose terminal length for my goal, mainly because of my religious beliefs. The Bible says that for a woman to have long hair, is a glory to her. The statement of faith for Charity Christian Fellowship says, "Brethren are to be free from the shame of long hair. Sisters will wear their hair long. They cover their heads with a distinctive Christian veiling. I Cor. 11:6, 14, 15." Of course, what's "long" or not is vague and it gets debated sometimes in our churches. I see long hair as hair at the length that God genetically set for it to grow. Several years ago I made the choice to stop trimming my hair and just let it grow. How long it will get, I have no idea. But I'm interested to find out. :)

embee
November 25th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I chose "terminal" because I was curious how long my hair would grow. All through my life (until this last effort at growing out) I thought my hair stopped at bra-strap-length. Heh. Guess not! :D

Cassie 123
November 25th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I don't focus on goal length a lot; I'm happy with the length I have now, and LHC has helped me get my hair into much better condition. But I have to admit that I put waist as my goal when I saw how Ultrabella's looked with a U-hemline at waist length just before her most recent trim. I think it's a very pretty length, and a U-hemline at that point emphasizes the curve of a woman's waist very nicely.

Purdy Bear
November 25th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I chose TBL because I had long hair as a child and I can remember any longer it started to get sat on or caught in cupboard doors and things like that. Id love to do terminal length as well. Sadly with my Alopecia unless the medical profession gets a move on, its not going to be any time soon, oh unless you believe in miracles :)

Heartwillfollow
November 25th, 2011, 10:59 AM
chose waist (it's 31-32" on me and not 37 as I thought) but chose waist because it would be demanding and a challenge to strive for. I always get where I am at now and cut back to chin.. Can see the difference this time to this length.. am much thicker then I have ever been before not using heat anymore. It's a strange cross road right now to get pass the current length, be like breaking a set mental block..

Am considering stopping at BLS for a year and focus on health and thickness (little bit being chicken in there too) :)

pepperminttea
November 25th, 2011, 11:15 AM
My current favourite is mid-thigh, because I'm hoping it'll give me a classic length braid. But I won't really know until I get there! :)

moon2dove
November 25th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I chose 'as long as it gets past BSL' because I have NEVER had hair at BSL. I am praying that when I measure on January 1st 2012 I have past BSL. Fingers crossed :) If I am, I will hopefully reach waist and stay there :)

Rowan1980
November 25th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I chose classic because I just love the way it looks. I've had everything up to tailbone-length hair in the past, so this is the next step for me. I tend to wear my hair up when I'm out and about, so I'm not worried about sitting on it or anything like that.

roundforest
November 25th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I would like to reach tailbone length. I've measured and I think it will be 39 inches on me (I'm very short). The longest hair I've had was elbow-length, aged 15, so perhaps it won't get any longer than that, but I don't think I even used conditioner at the time so I'm hopeful.
I see a lot of tailbone length as two of my daughters are at that point and I really like the look. It will take over 2 years to get there, I think.

going gray
November 25th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Never had BSL, that would be enough inorder to wear my hair up in those gorgeous updo's.

isabelx
November 25th, 2011, 01:57 PM
If my terminal length turns out to be longer than I expected, I think I'd stop at waist or hip if it still looked healthy, purely because I don't think hair longer than this would look good on me, I'm very short! and just personal preference :)

see_turtle
November 25th, 2011, 03:35 PM
My goal is tail bone length I want my braid to look long from the front when it's over my shoulder. TBL is the longest I would go because I have a big butt so getting to classic would be a few more years of growing.

shannonsun
November 25th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I'm petite (5'1" on a good day) and I have a longish torso, so I get the feeling that anything longer than hip length will dwarf me when it's down. If I get there and I'm wrong, maybe I'll grow it longer...

My goal is somewhere between waist and hip. I'm getting my masters in music theory/composition and have been studying conducting, and I have this picture in my head of standing at the podium in a black dress with a thick, firey henna-colored braid down my back to waist length bouncing and swaying while I conduct some exuberant Wagner--or, my dream piece, the first movement of Brahms' 3rd symphony!

Finnenna
November 25th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I picked mine arbitrarily at APL. I thought that I wanted long enough hair to DO something with - put it up, style, it, etc. And I still do. I thought about it, and my hair is reaching APL, and it's still too short to do what I want to do. :D I'm going for BSL now, because well, I haven't had long hair for over 20 years and I'm not sure how to properly manage it, so I chose something rather short to try to get to first, then if I can manage, to keep growing to waist - maybe. I'm still not sure. I just want enough hair to style it with all the pretty styles I keep seeing.

KwaveT
November 25th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I choose waist length because it will be long enough at that point to be able to wear it down as well as put it up in various updos.

Viperalus
November 25th, 2011, 05:37 PM
For me the hair is sacred. It's my antennas connecting me to the ethereal kingdom and further beyond.
I will be very sad if my hair thin significantly but as long as it grows long I will let it grow long.

Danni5173
November 25th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I would love to get to BSL maybe somewhere between that and Waist. I would love to get the thickness back too that I used to have. :(

Mina17
November 25th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I chose BSL because to me that is long and I like the way it looks on other people. Also I'm very short (5'0") and my hair is thick and wavy and "big" so I think it might overwhelm my frame if it was longer. Maybe I'll rethink it when I get there and see how it looks. I doubt I would ever go longer than waist though.

AnnaJamila
November 25th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Becuase I think it's terribly romantic and a character from a book I like had this length of hair.

That or I'm just batty. Either way. :shrug:

Lissandria
November 25th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Im short waisted with a long rise and long legs. When I look at my body and torso I see the most attractive length on me to be waist or hip. I feel it will accentuate my body best at this length. I chose hip because I think those extra few inches (alot on me) will make the difference between long and super long to me. Also I may find tailbone or BCL a good length, but that would be very long on me- perhaps the equivelant of classic on alot of people. To be honest, Im not sure I even have the genes to grow this long. We'll see. But I have NO desire what so ever to grow past tailbone. I like long but not super, super long (on me!). Also- I want to be able to wear my hair down easily if I like. So between waist and tailbone for me, hopefully to hip.

PixxieStix
November 25th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I chose hip/tailbone length for a few reasons:

This is the first time in my life I will actively be growing out long, healthy hair. When I was younger, I had long hair (always anywhere from APL to Waist) but it was scraggly and damaged. This time, I want to see it healthy as well as long.
Since I am making a conscious effort to baby my hair, I would like to have hair longer than I ever did previously in my lifetime.
Growing my hair, for me, is an expression of self love that I had not been able to give myself for the past 14 years. That is how long it took me to beat my trichotillomania, and this is sort of a "self reward", as well as proof every day when I look in the mirror that I can love myself, and that I am, finally, healthy again.
I've always found long hair sexy, and to me it feels very sensual and feminine. I appreciate those traits in myself, as much as my ability to gut an elk by myself.

honeydippedxo
November 25th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I use to have TBL hair just a few years ago and loved the look so I'm going for it again. Lately I've been thinking of growing to classic. I'm starting to remember how at TBL, when people would stop me and say something like "wow you're hair is so long!"I would smile and say "Thanks." But what I would be thinking is "Umm I don't get it, my hair isn't even that long." And I really wanted super duper long hair! Once I get to TBL I will decide if I should continue growing.

Miss Maisie
November 26th, 2011, 01:05 AM
PixxieStix, I also have trichotillomania. Actively growing my hair and being gentle with it has almost completely stopped my hair pulling! I'm so glad that you beat it, too :D

Ishje
November 26th, 2011, 01:21 AM
I choose Classic because it seems like a goal I can make, if I could I would like tigh or knee, but that does not seem possible in the state my hair is in now.
so to avoid disappointment I went for Classic ^^

Audhumla
November 26th, 2011, 05:30 AM
I chose ~ knee length because it looks so cool. I feel like floor length would be impractical for me. I understand that maybe my terminal length will come before knee length or I might run out of patience trying to thicken up the ends and hack it off to hip length if I ever do get there but I want to give it a go :)

MasCat
November 26th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I seek out for my terminal length. I wish it will be past knee, but we'll see.

I would love to have my hair reach the floor when I am playing my harp. I always dreamed of knne length and beyond :)

jojo
November 26th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I wanted classic length hair since I was 4. My first teacher had amazing red classic length hair, it took me 34 to finally attempt it! just 4 more years and I will get there!

Jing
November 26th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I've been there before, it's just barely beyond what I consider to be "long" to begin with, and I don't find any appeal in the idea of growing it any longer.

Zesty
November 26th, 2011, 03:15 PM
TBL seems very long by most standards but still seems like an achievable goal for me. I also want my hair to be as long as my torso -- the image in my head is pretty. I might consider growing past TBL if it looks nice, but for now that's my long term goal. In the meantime, I can't wait to reach hip! :)

blondie9912
November 26th, 2011, 04:43 PM
My goal length is waist, which I chose for a variety of reasons. I want to have hair that is considered 'very long' by society's standards, but not 'too long'. (Don't get me wrong, I love classic+ length as much as the -next LHCr, but I don't think that I could manage having hair that length). Waist is a good balance for me, also, I find it to be the most aesthetically pleasing length on my hair type. I have fine (but bouncy) hair, and feel if I let it grow much longer than that it would become too limp.

DivineComedian
November 26th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I chose Waist as my goal because the last time my hair was that long I was very young- when I eventually get there, it will be the longest it's been in about 12 years. Also, I think it's just a good, manageable, aesthetically pleasing length for me personally. My goal may change when I reach the current one, but we'll have to see.

RedBlue
November 26th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I chose waist length, because I want 'long' hair, but I don't want to have hour long showers or two+ hours just to do my hair! I might go longer, once I get to waist and I decide it's not enough!

uptosomeone
November 26th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I've always wanted to try waist length hair out. It's long, but not so long that it'll take my hair years and years to get there. Not to mention now it's the perfect length for the cut I want to get!

Egana
November 26th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I chose a length (35 in) that is longer than I have ever been able to grow my hair. It will be quite an achievement of patience and hair kindness, and I will evaluate at that time if I like it, want it longer, or want it shorter. My hair has been long and BIG, and I'm not sure I want that again. It looked like an 80's glamrock wig more than a pretty hairstyle. So I am growing out only hydrated and healthy, and we'll see how it looks.

catamonica
November 26th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Since I started braid bunning my hair its grown an extra half inch from my waist. Classic length
would feel long. Waist is not long enough. But if I could have a miracle I wouldnt mind knee.
But more than likely that wont happen. I would be happy with just ten more inches.

AcornMystic
November 26th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I chose my goal length because I want to know just how long my hair can grow and I'm just all about growing my hair at this point so wherever it goes will please me.

My ultimate goal though once I have reached terminal and/or gotten to floor length, which is the longest I will go to discover my terminal length, is knee. I have chosen this particular length because I was inspired by my cousin who has knee length hair. I only ever saw her a number of times in my life growing up and few of them I actually remember, but there was no forgetting her hair and the blue streak of hair that peeked out at the nape of her neck when her hair exposed it.

My reason for growing my hair to knee is hardly practical, since I am growing it mainly for pleasure. I am normally practical by nature since I'm not all about the superficial fluff or overly complicated things, since I like things simple most of the time, but practical to me in regards to hair is just being able to do it up. My profile explains why I am growing my hair and that is basically my answer for any length I would choose. The more the better really, since the more I have to enjoy, as long as it is not dragging on the floor. I like knee though, as I've mentioned in another thread, also because knee length makes me think of little fairies/nymphs. When they skitter around little feet attached to calves can be seen that disappear behind a animated waterfall of hair. Knee is just so perfect. (I guess as a plus my husband says I have really nice "gams" (even though I'm mostly all torso)? So I guess that would kinda tease him.. Teehee! ^.^)

RapunzelKat
November 26th, 2011, 07:23 PM
My goal is terminal length hair, partly because I want extremely long hair, and partly because I'm just curious as to how long it can get. I love long braids and I've always wanted my hair to be at least long enough to sit on. (Almost there! Only a few more inches to go! :)) I think my hair will look even more spectacular if it's mid-thigh or knee length, so I'm hoping my terminal length will be at least that long.

silverjen
November 26th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I am inspired by my niece's waist length hair. This summer I got to actually play with it for the first time. I did an Elling woman braid and a cinnabun on her, and it was so much fun! Long enough to do most fun buns and braids, but it doesn't seem to get in her way. Her hair looks great, and it's pure benign neglect.

That being said, I have no idea if I can actually make it. :(

C_Bookworm
November 26th, 2011, 08:09 PM
My goal length has been steadily increasing. When I first joined, anything past waist seemed impossible. I also felt like I would look like 'cousin it' with too long of hair. It was one of those things where when I went to get haircuts(which was like once a year) the hairdressers would always comment on how I needed a haircut so badly because my hair was way too long. And I totally listened and believed them.

I can't say how many amazing heads of hair I've seen on LHC. And not a single one looked even remotely like 'cousin it.' As my perception of what lengths can be beautiful has changed, so has my goal length. I'm currently definitely going to hip length, and probably knee.

estelwen
November 26th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Classic length for me, because it's gorgeous! And because I have attempted it twice already and caved for the big chop both times. And because I want my little one to have a mom who lives up to her own expectations!

Fairy tale
November 26th, 2011, 09:33 PM
[quote=krissykins;1879514]I chose tailbone length as a goal because I want long hair, but I still want to be able to wear it while it's down and not sit on it. :p

My sentiments exactly! I have never had hair that long though so when I get to tailbone my goal might change. Who knows?

BeccaAngel
November 26th, 2011, 09:35 PM
i want BSL, just because i never had it that long before.

Mannaz
November 27th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Because BSL was the longest my hair had ever been and I had no idea if my hair would even grow past that and would I manage with it... So far so good, I'm very close to waist!

Mutinous
November 27th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Around APL. For me, it will be the longest its ever been and it will be easy to tie up for work but still be manageable to wear down.

Nymphea
November 27th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Personally I like hip length best, because I just like how it looks down on me, and because it is so manageable in so many ways. TB is also fine. I suppose I'll stick to the length somewhere between hip and TB, maintaining the length as long as it takes for me to be satisfied with the condition of my hair.

I'm very attracted to classic length, but I'm afraid of potential damage, so I would have to learn how to deal best with this beautiful length.

Ramille
November 27th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I was told my grandmother once had hair long enough to sit on. She finally cut it (in her 40's )because of the weight. It gave her headaches to pile it on top. Wish I had a photo of when she had it long.

Tota
November 27th, 2011, 07:42 AM
TBL for me. Because I'm very short and anything else would be too much for me, and because I just love how this length complements a woman's figure.

LovingLife
November 27th, 2011, 07:47 AM
The most pleasing to look at I guess :) I like the look of sitting on a chair and your hair going down the back of it :)
Also highlighting the waist!

Hairizona
November 27th, 2011, 08:13 AM
My goal is simply the length my hair was at it's longest before I cut it back to just below shoulder length at age 39. It does not mean I will stop there; it is simply a challenge. None of this is new ground covered for me, so far. It will only be new ground after I reach that length.

Viperalus
November 27th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Classic length for me, because it's gorgeous! And because I have attempted it twice already and caved for the big chop both times. And because I want my little one to have a mom who lives up to her own expectations!
haha, good luck reaching your goal length then! :)

Your hair at this avatar look awesome! Unfortunately I can't see more photos from your hair (as a new member)

Gothchiq
November 27th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I think it will look the best proportionate to the rest of my body, and I also think that if it got any longer it would be too difficult for me to manage. Waist length is my goal.

xoxo
gothchiq

omgitssarah
November 27th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I picked waist as a tentative goal because I like my waist, and feel that wasit-length hair would emphasize that. Plus it seemed like a good spot, not too unreachable, and with plenty of time in between to test out if I like having long hair.

Dragon Faery
November 27th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I went with terminal because I want to stop chopping my hair every time I get annoyed with it. I want to see how long it will grow. But it will be a modified terminal since my ends get damaged easily and I don't like the look of damage. Lots of little trims, but no more chops!

The longer the better. :)

kaiakai
November 27th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I think I might change my goal length. I'm getting curious to know how long I could grow my hair!

This forum is getting dangerous for me. First the hair toys, now this...

kaiakai
November 27th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I went with terminal because I want to stop chopping my hair every time I get annoyed with it. I want to see how long it will grow. But it will be a modified terminal since my ends get damaged easily and I don't like the look of damage. Lots of little trims, but no more chops!

The longer the better. :)

I concur. I didn't trim my hair for years, but I started getting somewhat regular trims last year and really like that clean post-trim feeling. Ok, one of those trims took off almost 6 inches.. I won't be doing that anymore.

LaLaBella
November 27th, 2011, 05:00 PM
When I first started here, my goal was APL just because. Seriously, I had no real reason. Now, my goal is Waist Length. Still don't know why but I'm doing it. The longest my hair has ever been was in March 1992. It was about an inch from Waist.
We'll see.

gibsongirl71
November 27th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I have thick heavy hair. My scalp tends to get oily so I have to wash every other day. I am thinking BSL is about as long as I could deal with. Once I get there I will decide if I want to go for waist. We shall see.....:D

darklyndsea
November 27th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I just want to see how long I can grow my hair, because I never have before. And I kind of like the idea of having one thing about myself that can make people jaw-drop at the sight of it.

Inching Along
November 27th, 2011, 06:43 PM
My goal length is BSL because I haven't had hair much longer than shoulder length as an adult, and I wanted a goal that was attainable. I hope it's attainable! :) I think I had between shoulder and APL in my early 20s, and I remember (hopefully correctly!) that I had waist-length hair in kindergarten. That said, I think my secret goal is waist length, but I have no idea if I can even realistically reach BSL! :confused: My cousin's grandma had long silver hair that she wore up in a bun. I saw it down back when I was about 12 and have always remembered it. I thought, Why should only "young" girls have the fun and beauty of long hair? ;) I also remember a cousin who is a few years older than me who had waist-length hair in her early 20s that was so pretty. Grow, hair; grow!

Gumball
November 29th, 2011, 08:37 AM
My goal is pretty vague. I wanted longer hair, but didn't have a set length in mind. It grows, and we'll see where it leads and how well I can handle it. :agree:

It's interesting how styling options have evolved with the length. I'm pretty happy with it at its current length - a bit below tailbone when stretched - but who knows how it'll be when it grows a little more? :)

Aerin
November 29th, 2011, 08:41 AM
So I picked waist length since that's longer than I've ever had it before, and I think it looks pretty. Though the longer I hang around these forums, the more I'm debating moving that goal to hip with a blunt hemline. It would be awesome.

heidihug
November 29th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I never chose my goal length, I've just kept going. I trim back occasionally, but will likely just go until I get to terminal. My goal of 54" as stated is about knee on me, so I guess that is an (eventual) goal :)

MandyBeth
November 29th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I think I'm one of the few (only?) who follows here and shortens my goal length. I kind of thought terminal would be fun for the sake of it, then shortened to classic, then EWW, no more than TB, then hip, then hip/waist area.

I'm still at waist area, but I'm thinking low BSL/high waist would be the best area for me.

maborosi
November 29th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I'd like to keep it within a range that I could attain within a relatively short period of time. 36" is about hip-length for me. I think that hip-length will look really, really good on me.

I don't know if I want it longer or not, but I just stuck my goal at 36" because I figured I'd like it. :)

~maborosi~

XcaliburGirl
November 29th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I think I'm one of the few (only?) who follows here and shortens my goal length. I kind of thought terminal would be fun for the sake of it, then shortened to classic, then EWW, no more than TB, then hip, then hip/waist area.

I'm still at waist area, but I'm thinking low BSL/high waist would be the best area for me.
My goal has been all over the place.

I started out on LHC with a goal of waist, then hip, then tailbone, then knee, then terminal! Then, I changed it back to hip. Then I chopped to pixie. :rolleyes: Then, I wanted BSL/MBL, or classic, hmm...

So, I'm only committing to mini-goals now, but secretly I am back to wanting waist length since that is where I was happiest with my hair. (Shh, don't tell me, I'll just change my mind again.)

IubireaDraga
November 29th, 2011, 01:57 PM
My goal would be a blunt hemline at waist... or a deep u-shape at hip lenght.
I don't want to be able to sit on my hair and it wouldn't cover up my jeans butt too much haha.. :D

now I'm just a couple of cm from getting to waist, but my hair is layered so it will take some time to get that blunt hemline :)

GeoJ
November 29th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I chose knee length because I think it's the longest I can go that will still be manageable for me. Also, my hair compliments my body when it's classic or longer, and becomes less flattering on my body as it gets shorter- with shoulder length and shorter being very unflattering for my body (for my face, BSL and longer is good).

Before LHC, I just liked my hair long and had no length goals. I kept it anywhere between waist and mid-thigh. Whenever the ends got thin or damaged, I cut off what needed to go to maintain a thick hemline (the largest cut was probably about a 9 inch cut).

I liked the carefree feeling I had about my hair before, not obsessing over the length. I waver between continuing to maintain knee for a number of years, and going back to my old attitude (but at least armed with better hair care knowledge now). I've been tempted to go back for a few months now, but every now and then I get really nice compliments about my length that tempt me to hang onto it. That, and right now I'd have to go back to BSL to get the hemline I prefer (don't go by my sig pic- I've had massive shedding since then).

Waist or hip as past that will be awful for ground work in martial arts. Plus that work does massive damage to my ends, so got me, that may get shortened yet. Plus my big badonkadonk, don't want to grow over it.

This reminded me of my DD last week (in her mixed martial arts class). I watched as her classic length hair came loose from the (so I thought) really secure updo I made for her, and get beat up and tangled.

DarkSky
November 29th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I think the longest I can go is between waist and hip length. Anything longer might just over power me. or put too much attention on my hair instead of me (I've got big poofy hair most days LOL). Plus I think it might look a little unkempt with my naturally messy wurls.

LittleOrca
November 29th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I like the look of floor-length hair and I think that is the only amount I could handle. However, I am starting to leaning towards changing my goal to term if floor length is not where my term is.

PraiseCheeses
November 29th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I really want to be able to do a coronet braid like Yulia Tymoshenko. With the way I shed, I'll be lucky if I can make it to tailbone. That's my stated goal - long enough to be unusual, and hopefully possible. And while I'd settle for a nice blunt hemline at waist if I had to, my secret goal is really mid-thigh. :)

leslissocool
November 29th, 2011, 11:46 PM
I started wanting to grow virgin hair to waist. Then when I got there I wanted TB, now that I am there I want to grow to knee!!!

I just want longer hair, and I don't really know when am I going to really be at my goal :o. I now want a straight cut virgin + henna knee length hair...

hanne jensen
November 30th, 2011, 01:19 AM
I chose terminal because I'm curious. And, ever since I was a little girl I've wanted a braid long enough to wrap around my head.

xgeckox
November 30th, 2011, 06:49 AM
My goal is for waist-length, virgin (+henna) hair. I think WL is long enough to be, "wow, you have long hair!" but not unmanagable. Plus its longer than my hair has ever been my adult life :)

BritHair
November 30th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I am happy with WL to TBL, as I bob between the two with trims. I am a cancer survivor and prefer to hang on to my hair. It's a great example to my patients to show that there is hair after chemotherapy :D

Long hair is just so beautiful and there are so many beautiful heads of hair at this site. I am fortunate to have the luxury of hair, long hair.

MaiCarInMtl
November 30th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I figured 30" was a nice, round number. I'm about an inch away. My revised goal will be waist length. I think that'll be my max simply because I don't want to start rubbing up against my hair every time I sit down at my desk.

Vanille_
November 30th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I've seen some pictures on LHC of girls sitting down Indian-style with their back to the camera, and their hair reaching the ground. My goal is to have hair that long. It's just an image that I really admire and would love to have a picture of my own someday.