PDA

View Full Version : Same problem, Need a new solution... Or I'll seriously cry.

Amber_Maiden
November 24th, 2011, 06:24 PM
So, about a week ago I posted a thread about the ends of my hair feeling dry and crunchy... Even though I had had a 4-6in trim in the middle of October, and had layers put in. I also have cut off a total of 13-15in of hair this year since May. I S&D every 2-3 months. I don't get many split ends.

What I did with the advice from people last week:
1. I got a clarifying shampoo, by Live Clean, to get build up out of my hair. It made it feel a ton better.
2. I ACVed.
3. I got a rich, protein free CO. It was great! Probably the best I've ever used, again by Live Clean.
4. I left my hair alone to see what would happen (still dry), and then put Argan oil on my ends. It didn't like this.
5. Tonight I S&D and then put avocado oil on my ends. My hair likes avocado oil, my ends didn't look any different though and still feel dry and crunchy...
6. I stretch washes because my hair likes sebum, and doesn't get oily fast. I haven't washed my hair since Sunday and probably won't wash it until Monday.
7. I also did a deep CO with a heat cap on my head after I shampooed, ACVed, and COed in the shower.... Forgot to mention that.

So, what do I do now? I really don't think trimming is going to help, because this is what happens to my hair, and then I trim, and it goes back to being like this again FAST.

Help???!!! I am seriously getting depressed about this. One of my best friends today told me my hair looked... sad at the ends.

*sighs* At least my hair ends are matching my mood...

I just don't get it though- it's only the ends! The rest of my hair is HAPPY!

It's gotten to the point where I hate brushing my hair because I hate seeing the ends of my hair, or even feeling them... :( I also hate wearing my hair down because the ends look so bad.

krissykins
November 24th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Do you have hard water? You may want to try a chelating shampoo.

Amber_Maiden
November 24th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Do you have hard water? You may want to try a chelating shampoo.

I don't think we so... We have city water, and that's pretty much lacking in minerals isn't it because it's purified... ?
I used to live in the country when I was a teenager, and we had well water, with tons of minerals- very hard water. And my hair was fine then...:confused:

Kristin
November 24th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Maybe try a different oil on your ends? I used to dampen my length and soak my hair in coconut oil and castor oil. It really softened my ends. I don't know where you live, but could it be that the change in weather is effecting the moisture in your hair? A humidifier helps me. Also, I cut back on shampooing, but still CO every day or every other day in the winter because it seems to get more moisture into my hair.

It sounds like you're changing a lot of stuff at once. I think you should just baby it and wear it up for awhile. I do crazy drastic things when I start obsessing.

Amber_Maiden
November 24th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Maybe try a different oil on your ends? I used to dampen my length and soak my hair in coconut oil and castor oil. It really softened my ends. I don't know where you live, but could it be that the change in weather is effecting the moisture in your hair? A humidifier helps me. Also, I cut back on shampooing, but still CO every day or every other day in the winter because it seems to get more moisture into my hair.

It sounds like you're changing a lot of stuff at once. I think you should just baby it and wear it up for awhile. I do crazy drastic things when I start obsessing.

I've tried pretty much every oil out there, and found my hair was the best with Argan and avocado oil. Coconut oil made it crunchy...

I guess I'm trying a bunch of stuff at once because I have no idea what to do anymore... I've dealt with this for the past year... I kept trimming because I thought it was damage... But it can't possibly be damage if I've cut 13in off! :(

Hollyfire3
November 24th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I have the same problem! Just try leaving a bit of deep conditioner on the ends and maybe apply a bit of mousse to plump them up until they are back to normal? you do seem to be changing alot at once but i can totally relate, my hair seems hopeless right now too due to over doses of protein, just hang in there! On the bright side, it might not look as bad as you think. Or, do what i do, put it up and just forget about it. Out of sight, out of mind, at least for 5 minutes lol.

Anywhere
November 24th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Have you tried doing an SMT on your dry ends after clarifying?

My ends get like this if I don't shampoo off residue and moisturize enough. They also do it with coconut oil (but not EVOO or 50:50 EVOO+Coconut Oil)

Only my ends don't like coconut oil. Maybe your ends are picky like mine and need a different oil?

ETA: Whoops. Took so long responding that I didnt check to see the new posts. :p Forget I mentioned the oil. have you tried the SMT on the ends though?

ETAETA: Do you use cones? Have you tried using them or not using them? (depending on what you currently do) Cones make my ends slippery and not the split bent mess that they like to become. I forgot about that for a moment because it's a new thing for me.

krissykins
November 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I don't think we so... We have city water, and that's pretty much lacking in minerals isn't it because it's purified... ?
I used to live in the country when I was a teenager, and we had well water, with tons of minerals- very hard water. And my hair was fine then...:confused:

That's not always true. I vaguely remember someone mentioning that water can collect minerals from some pipes. Either way, I live in the city and I have pretty hard water. Chelating always helps the ends when moisturizing and protein masks fail.

spidermom
November 24th, 2011, 07:28 PM
So if you take a pinch of hair near your scalp and slide your fingers down the hair, do the ends feel significantly different from the rest of your hair?

shikara
November 24th, 2011, 07:41 PM
AmberMaiden, when i had problems with my ends, at night i would get the ends, perhalps the past few inches, very damp,and either put a large roller in, or put nylon from a silk stocking around that hair, and coil it once or twice like a pincurl, annd secure that with a bobby pin. It was no fil for for me. The ends are drinking moisture all night long, and when they are released the hair is crazy moisturized.http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_208958cc.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=208958cc.jpg)

Anywhere
November 24th, 2011, 08:00 PM
AmberMaiden, when i had problems with my ends, at night i would get the ends, perhalps the past few inches, very damp,and either put a large roller in, or put nylon from a silk stocking around that hair, and coil it once or twice like a pincurl, annd secure that with a bobby pin. It was no fil for for me. The ends are drinking moisture all night long, and when they are released the hair is crazy moisturized.http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_208958cc.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=208958cc.jpg)

I'm not sure if this is true, but I read somewhere, once upon a time (while wondering if I could make a sort of cap to hold my wrapped hair from some old nylon stockings) that nylon sucks moisture out of the hair and causes breakage.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Teazel
November 24th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I would suggest 1. SMT, and 2. damp bunning.

jeanniet
November 24th, 2011, 08:14 PM
City water can be quite hard. It's not necessarily purified and may be just treated with chlorine. You should be able to see a copy of an annual testing report on your city's water department website (or just call them and ask what the water hardness is). City water here is about 10, which is hard but not "very" hard--enough to leave a deposit on things and cause buildup on hair. I always do a final citric acid rinse (1/4 t. CA in a gallon of water) and that's really helped. Vinegar rinses don't help me as much as CA rinses (I have well water, so other minerals besides the calcium). I would definitely check on the hardness issue to rule that out as a cause.

DarkSky
November 24th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I would second the advice to do a 50/50 EVOO and Coconut oil mixture. I'm using it and it's the most moisturzing oil combo that I've ever used. Just melt the coconut oil and add the EVOO. The solution should stay liquid unless it's super cold. I have this mixture in a mini bottle and keep it in my purse.

ktani
November 24th, 2011, 08:19 PM
So, about a week ago I posted a thread about the ends of my hair feeling dry and crunchy... Even though I had had a 4-6in trim in the middle of October, and had layers put in. I also have cut off a total of 13-15in of hair this year since May. I S&D every 2-3 months. I don't get many split ends.

What I did with the advice from people last week:
1. I got a clarifying shampoo, by Live Clean, to get build up out of my hair. It made it feel a ton better.
2. I ACVed.
3. I got a rich, protein free CO. It was great! Probably the best I've ever used, again by Live Clean.
4. I left my hair alone to see what would happen (still dry), and then put Argan oil on my ends. It didn't like this.
5. Tonight I S&D and then put avocado oil on my ends. My hair likes avocado oil, my ends didn't look any different though and still feel dry and crunchy...
6. I stretch washes because my hair likes sebum, and doesn't get oily fast. I haven't washed my hair since Sunday and probably won't wash it until Monday.
7. I also did a deep CO with a heat cap on my head after I shampooed, ACVed, and COed in the shower.... Forgot to mention that.

So, what do I do now? I really don't think trimming is going to help, because this is what happens to my hair, and then I trim, and it goes back to being like this again FAST.

Help???!!! I am seriously getting depressed about this. One of my best friends today told me my hair looked... sad at the ends.

*sighs* At least my hair ends are matching my mood...

I just don't get it though- it's only the ends! The rest of my hair is HAPPY!

It's gotten to the point where I hate brushing my hair because I hate seeing the ends of my hair, or even feeling them... :( I also hate wearing my hair down because the ends look so bad.

First of all do not cry!

Figure out what the problem is and then try and remedy it.

I stopped searching for the Live Clean clarifying shampoo ingredients after you posted that it worked for you but perhaps it did not work as well as you thought.

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=138092/Live_Clean_
"While it doesn't necessarily clarify to the extent I'd expect of a specifically branded clarifying product (meaning it doesn't get rid of a lot of buildup any more than any other shampoo) it does leave my hair feeling a little bouncier, a little more voluminous;"

If in fact it did not clarify enough and then you put a rich conditioner on and oil on top of that, I can see why your ends would be sad. The initial problem of build-up was not solved.

ETA: I personally HATE it when a cosmetic company does not list the ingredients of a product on one their websites. It makes informed purchasing that much harder. I do not see said ingredients on the Live Clean website. If they are there they are not readily found.

UltraBella
November 24th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I had a 4-6in trim in the middle of October, and had layers put in. I also have cut off a total of 13-15in of hair this year since May. I S&D every 2-3 months. I don't get many split ends.

I just have to ask..... How did you trim that much hair off since May and it's still past your waist ??

I think Ktani might be on to something. If you "clarified" but it didn't really do the job, your ends would go right back to feeling awful. That would totally make sense !

ktani
November 24th, 2011, 08:57 PM
It is very easy to be taken in by essentially marketing terms misapplied to a product like "clarifying" and then you get results that do not match what was promised but you do not know why because you think they did. And you followed directions and recommendations.

Frustrating does not adequately cover it. Do not blame yourself. It is false advertising.

ETA: In some instances it can take more than one wash of a good clarifying product, one that actually lives up to what was promised because of the amount of build-up present on the hair. Each case varies.

Yozhik
November 24th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I seem to recall you saying that your ends were damaged from old dye use. Could it be that they really just need to be cut because they have been previously damaged and can't be rehabilitated any further?

I thought I'd just throw that out there in case it helps, but feel free to ignore this if I'm remembering wrong. :)

ktani
November 24th, 2011, 09:21 PM
This is the original thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=82178

Even damaged hair can benefit greatly from clarifying if build-up is the problem.

In this case the choice of product to clarify with is an issue too.

The only thing I can see for this at this point if the build-up has not been removed, is a not too strong but strong enough, fully dissolved baking soda wash and and a well diluted acv or apple cider, or white vinegar rinse to follow, as certain other ingredients are not preferred as well. ETA: Vegan - check - natural - check - effective - check - extra unwanted ingredients absent - check. Follow all of that with the new Live Clean conditioner if desired but dilute it and do not use the full amount diluted, to cut the amount of build-up causing product you are putting back on the hair.

coffinhert
November 24th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I do pretty much exactly what Shikara suggests, except I add oil to the mix too. I use a boar bristle brush to distribute several drops of oil onto the bottom half of my hair, then spritz it with water until very damp, smooth is down with the BBB, and curl it into pin curls to dry overnight. If I don't do this my ends dry all wacky and frizzy with bends and feel crunchy. I think smoothing it straight with the BBB then holding it in that position as it dries makes a super world of difference for my hair type, which is medium/coarse/wavy.

ETA: I don't put anything over my pin curls except bobby pins, and I sleep on a silk pillowcase.

Also -- the point about dying your hair -- if it has old dye in it, it'll probably be like that until the dye grows out. That's how my hair is now too, it's going to be about 2 yrs until my virgin hair reaches BSL. My dyed hair really really gets crunchy if I don't do that pin curl OR finger curling while it's drying. Do you ever finger curl/smooth it? My hair is just plain coarse/crunchy if I don't oil it and smooth it down manually while drying.

Anje
November 24th, 2011, 09:50 PM
You know, if clarifying made it a lot better, maybe you just have hair that's prone to buildup. Weekly use of a clarifying shampoo isn't the end of the world, and if that's what works for you, that's what works.

getoffmyskittle
November 24th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Just keep trimming it. You'll get rid of all the old damage eventually and wonder why your hair is so healthy all the time. ;)

Achtland
November 24th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Lately when my hair is getting me down, I throw it in a braid after every bath... and forget about it for the rest of the day. I usually un-do it in the evening and throw it in a higher pony to sleep. Repeat the next day.

I have this self-theory about my own hair, if I am stressing about it... NOTHING will make it better (stress-wise) except to ignore it. I know it sounds like I am neglecting the problem but honestly, within a few days of doing this... I have a series of good hair days again and I forget the stress even happened.

My process of ignoring my hair besides it's daily given maintenance and attention has been the best treatment for me when it comes to bad hair days/weeks/ and yes sometimes months.

By looking at your list it, in my honest opinion, seems you are perhaps doing TOO much! just my opinion though :) Throw it in a cute braid, leave it... read a novel! Nothing is more distracting than a good novel :)

This may just be my own philosophy as of late, but I find sometimes "ignorance" works. Goodluck!

spidermom
November 24th, 2011, 10:15 PM
In thinking it over, it does seem to me that you've done a series of things to your hair - dyeing it too dark, washing the devil out of it plus other treatments to lighten it up, etc. It's probably a good plan to leave it alone for awhile. Just wash and condition it as needed, maybe clarify again and reevaluate in another couple of weeks.

MandyBeth
November 24th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Avocado oil has protein or acts the EXACT same as heavy protein on my hair, it makes my hair crap. Also, read Nightshade's damage article. Damage is done, microtrim often to keep fresh ends. I s+d DAILY thanks to henna damage.

|Xei
November 25th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Have you tried oiling your hair when it's wet/damp? That seems to make a big difference for some members here.

If it doesn't seem to help, you can always try not oiling your hair. I do seem to recall that someone on the board tried this, and it cured her crunchy hair problems.

Mina17
November 25th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I second the damp bunning recommendation.

pepperminttea
November 25th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Do you wear your hair down most of the time? That dries out my hair like nothing else, especially the ends. Wearing it up more, and especially damp bunning, keeps my hair from drying out and it stays soft. :) I still wear my hair down once a week or so, it's just more of a special thing, and less of an everyday thing, like a dress or a pair of shoes you keep for formal occasions.

MonaLisa
November 25th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Maybe you are just being too...perfectionist?
I don't see anything wrong about your hair, from pictures at least.
I've had that period too...try to just relax and love it?

Also share your secret how you can trim sooo much and not seem to lose any length.
I wouldnt consider 4-6 inches a trim even, but a cut..
And I really don't think your ends can possibly be damaged after that.
Wrong products, or you being perfectionist - me thinks!
Pictures would help!
Hugs

kittymallow
November 25th, 2011, 04:11 AM
I would have tried a deep treatment istead of a conditioner when doing a treatment because a conditioner closes the cuticle and a deep treatment does penetrate the hair more to give more nourishment. And put a big bowl of water in the room you are most in.. the heat in the room makes the water to moist the air(sorry about bad description ). And i would have tried a silicone serum on your ends. It is better to cover them in silicone than cut them.. i love paul michell superskinny serum. Light, smoothing my ends, and smells devine..hmmm.. winter is a cold, dry b***c :( i find grapeseed oil more moilstureing than alot of other oils, but only silicone removed my crunchyness.. hope you really find a good solution:)

kittymallow
November 25th, 2011, 04:29 AM
I know it is expensive, but redken all soft heavy cream is a superduper treatment on dry brittle ends:) i had kind of locked my hardresser brainpart away, but sometimes i news to dig out my knowledge ;) you could also get a salon treatment for dry and dehydrated hair. If you have dry air in your home do not use any honey, aloe and glycerine. It will dry your hair even more out..

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 06:41 AM
So if you take a pinch of hair near your scalp and slide your fingers down the hair, do the ends feel significantly different from the rest of your hair?

A bit. The strands are at different lengths at the bottom, so I feel that. They also feel like hay on the last inch, whereas the rest of my hair is silky smooth and lacking in the hay feeling.

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I just have to ask..... How did you trim that much hair off since May and it's still past your waist ??

I think Ktani might be on to something. If you "clarified" but it didn't really do the job, your ends would go right back to feeling awful. That would totally make sense !

My hair grows very fast. About 1.5in a month, sometimes more. I also never really properly measured my hair until this November and just kept track of how much I was cutting off. I would be past TBL, if I hadn't cut it. :p

I should say I'm basing this on how much my hair grew in the last month. I've never measured before to fid out how much it grows. I doubt that it's always this fast, but I do know my hair grows faster than most peoples... maybe it is the normal rate for me?! I'll let you know next month when I measure again if it's growing at 1.5in still.

When I was a kid my mom would give me buzz cuts, and within no time my hair would be at my shoulders...

I'm actually starting to wonder how normal my hair is now... Never thought much about how much I take off and how much it grows before!

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 06:46 AM
First of all do not cry!

Figure out what the problem is and then try and remedy it.

I stopped searching for the Live Clean clarifying shampoo ingredients after you posted that it worked for you but perhaps it did not work as well as you thought.

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=138092/Live_Clean_
"While it doesn't necessarily clarify to the extent I'd expect of a specifically branded clarifying product (meaning it doesn't get rid of a lot of buildup any more than any other shampoo) it does leave my hair feeling a little bouncier, a little more voluminous;"

If in fact it did not clarify enough and then you put a rich conditioner on and oil on top of that, I can see why your ends would be sad. The initial problem of build-up was not solved.

ETA: I personally HATE it when a cosmetic company does not list the ingredients of a product on one their websites. It makes informed purchasing that much harder. I do not see said ingredients on the Live Clean website. If they are there they are not readily found.

AGH! So I have to find another brand... Hard to without SLS in it!

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 06:48 AM
This is the original thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=82178

Even damaged hair can benefit greatly from clarifying if build-up is the problem.

In this case the choice of product to clarify with is an issue too.

The only thing I can see for this at this point if the build-up has not been removed, is a not too strong but strong enough, fully dissolved baking soda wash and and a well diluted acv or apple cider, or white vinegar rinse to follow, as certain other ingredients are not preferred as well. ETA: Vegan - check - natural - check - effective - check - extra unwanted ingredients absent - check. Follow all of that with the new Live Clean conditioner if desired but dilute it and do not use the full amount diluted, to cut the amount of build-up causing product you are putting back on the hair.

Baking soda wash- will do.

ktani
November 25th, 2011, 06:48 AM
AGH! So I have to find another brand... Hard to without SLS in it!

Not necessarily, you do have another option
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1879479&postcount=19
"In this case the choice of product to clarify with is an issue too.

The only thing I can see for this at this point if the build-up has not been removed, is a not too strong but strong enough, fully dissolved baking soda wash and and a well diluted acv or apple cider, or white vinegar rinse to follow, as certain other ingredients are not preferred as well. ETA: Vegan - check - natural - check - effective - check - extra unwanted ingredients absent - check. Follow all of that with the new Live Clean conditioner if desired but dilute it and do not use the full amount diluted, to cut the amount of build-up causing product you are putting back on the hair."

LOL, We posted at exactly the same time!

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 06:50 AM
In thinking it over, it does seem to me that you've done a series of things to your hair - dyeing it too dark, washing the devil out of it plus other treatments to lighten it up, etc. It's probably a good plan to leave it alone for awhile. Just wash and condition it as needed, maybe clarify again and reevaluate in another couple of weeks.

Yeah... It might be the best ting for now :(

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Here are the requested pictures of the ends of my hair- sorry for the bad quality, i don't have a state of the art high resolution camera... I did my best...:

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff519/shamber1/IMG_4703.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff519/shamber1/IMG_4700.jpg

And a pic of where my hair ended a month ago:
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff519/shamber1/IMG_4697-1.jpg

summergreen
November 25th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Maybe you could try putting dilute conditioner in as a leave in, just on the ends? It seems to work better for me than conditioners marketed as leave-ins, serums or oils. I usually put more in after a few days as it seems to wear off.

MonaLisa
November 25th, 2011, 09:43 AM
You had your last cut at a salon? How was it cut? maybe that's why your ends look that way. My hair used to look severely damaged when cut in some 'techniques'!!

Anyway - I saw pictures, it ain't that bad :) You could just baby them

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 09:49 AM
You had your last cut at a salon? How was it cut? maybe that's why your ends look that way. My hair used to look severely damaged when cut in some 'techniques'!!

Whew. I was worried my ends were horribly bad. Epically bad.

It wasn't the way it was cut. Every time my hair is cut my ends go back to looking like this. They've been this way for about over a year now... Maybe even 2?

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Maybe you could try putting dilute conditioner in as a leave in, just on the ends? It seems to work better for me than conditioners marketed as leave-ins, serums or oils. I usually put more in after a few days as it seems to wear off.

Worth a shot... Though CO left in my hair, even diluted usually makes it look waxy. The max I have left CO in my hair on it's own was a day, as a treatment. Longest I ever left in diluted was a day, because when it dried... not so great.

Neya
November 25th, 2011, 09:54 AM
That's not always true. I vaguely remember someone mentioning that water can collect minerals from some pipes. Either way, I live in the city and I have pretty hard water. Chelating always helps the ends when moisturizing and protein masks fail.

City water depends on the source also. Most city water that I've come across is hard as rock. Not always, but usually. Nearby construction can drastically change your water.
They also add things like chlorine, chloramines, phosphates, flouride, etc. Any of which could have effect on hair/skin.
The only way to know for sure is to loOk up your city water quality report. I never assume anything about my water- I test & test some more and watch the city water quality reports whenever they publish it (usually 1x yr).

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 09:56 AM
City water depends on the source also. Most city water that I've come across is hard as rock. Not always, but usually. Nearby construction can drastically change your water.
They also add things like chlorine, chloramines, phosphates, flouride, etc. Any of which could have effect on hair/skin.
The only way to know for sure is to loOk up your city water quality report. I never assume anything about my water- I test & test some more and watch the city water quality reports whenever they publish it (usually 1x yr).

I'll check it out!

xoxophelia
November 25th, 2011, 10:00 AM
My guess would be that you have been doing too much as others said, thinking too much about your hair, and perhaps cut off less than your estimate. If only the last inch feels hay like, you could also just trim the last inch off.

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 10:08 AM
My guess would be that you have been doing too much as others said, thinking too much about your hair, and perhaps cut off less than your estimate. If only the last inch feels hay like, you could also just trim the last inch off.

I really doubt I cut off less than I estimated. When I cut my hair, I have them measure exactly how much they trim off, regardless of who is doing it, and even when I do it. I know exactly how much I have trimmed off in the last year. I'm very accurate. I have to be. It's a bit OCD, I guess... :o

I'm estimating by saying that there might have been an extra inch taken off, since I only started recording in December of last year, not November. And I know I was very trim happy then. :p

But yes, I might be thinking way too much about my hair...

I'm avoiding trimming the last inch of hair off because that's what my hair feels like very time I trim... And my chop from October was not long ago.

LovingLife
November 25th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I'd say there is always going to be a certain difference at then ends of every head of hair, maybe if this is not for damage it is due to general texture?
So maybe different styles or ways of washing may help?

coffinhert
November 25th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Looks like your hair may be too long to easily do pin curls, but you could still do a damp bun in one large roll. I'm really curious to see if that would have an effect.

bouclée
November 25th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Hi Amber_Maiden :waving:

It might not be of much help but, if I am not mistaken, you are pregnant. I am pregnant too and, as far as I am concerned, pregnancy does not give me (yet?) the great hair I expected. Hormonal changes can be a bit tough on hair and it might be (partially) responsible for your current issues with dry ends.

Anyway, did you try a mix of aloe vera gel and some oil (jojoba, coco, macadamia...) on the ends as a leave-in? It usually helps me a lot.

Hope you'll find a solution that suits you amongst all the suggestions you received...

ktani
November 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Usually and it depends on the person, but in general, people tend to use more conditioner on their ends, especially if the hair has been previously damaged or tangles easily. That is where most reported build-up is felt.

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Hi Amber_Maiden :waving:

It might not be of much help but, if I am not mistaken, you are pregnant. I am pregnant too and, as far as I am concerned, pregnancy does not give me (yet?) the great hair I expected. Hormonal changes can be a bit tough on hair and it might be (partially) responsible for your current issues with dry ends.

Anyway, did you try a mix of aloe vera gel and some oil (jojoba, coco, macadamia...) on the ends as a leave-in? It usually helps me a lot.

Hope you'll find a solution that suits you amongst all the suggestions you received...

Aha! That could definitely be a contributing factor! Didn't think of that! I mean, my ends have always been dry, but not THIS dry!!!
Thank you for reminding me I'm pregnant... I didn't even think of that... gah! :o:p

MaiCarInMtl
November 25th, 2011, 12:11 PM
It sounds to me like you still have buildup on your ends. If you're anything like me, you're also going through one of those "hair obsessed" phases too.

My advice:
1- stop trying so many things at once - it might be making things worse.
2- oil your hair (ends), try an SMT as well and just put it up and ignore it for a bit.
3 - join me for a cup of tea - you'll see my hair and feel better. ;-)

Honestly though, this time of the year is frustrating for my hair too - I swear, it's the change in temperature. I had massive flakies last week - this week I have nothing. Beats me!

lapushka
November 25th, 2011, 12:21 PM
You could try and focus more on the ends, by putting extra conditioner on them for instance or by leaving conditioner on the ends for much longer (or even apply twice). I don't think I have more help to offer than saying keep those ends well moisturized (extra leave-in, serum).

Darkhorse1
November 25th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Did you try olive oil? I found my ends like this and olive oil on wet hair before a wash really helped. It softened my ends right down--it was amazing.

Do you work outside or keep your hair down when in the sun? This will seriously dry it out, as I sadly found out after years of working outside. I now always put my hair up into a sunprotected hat, or braid it and tuck it under,, and use sunblock on it to prevent my color from fading.

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 02:53 PM
It sounds to me like you still have buildup on your ends. If you're anything like me, you're also going through one of those "hair obsessed" phases too.

My advice:
1- stop trying so many things at once - it might be making things worse.
2- oil your hair (ends), try an SMT as well and just put it up and ignore it for a bit.
3 - join me for a cup of tea - you'll see my hair and feel better. ;-)

Honestly though, this time of the year is frustrating for my hair too - I swear, it's the change in temperature. I had massive flakies last week - this week I have nothing. Beats me!

hehe! Sure! Tell me when works for you an I'm there! :)

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Did you try olive oil? I found my ends like this and olive oil on wet hair before a wash really helped. It softened my ends right down--it was amazing.

Do you work outside or keep your hair down when in the sun? This will seriously dry it out, as I sadly found out after years of working outside. I now always put my hair up into a sunprotected hat, or braid it and tuck it under,, and use sunblock on it to prevent my color from fading.

Nope! I usually wear my hair up even!

UltraBella
November 25th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Your pregnancy wouldn't affect your ends really, just your new growth.

Thanks for the explanation on the amount of trims and your growth rate. I saw your album pics from last Nov and the wedding pics and thought ???. 13-15 inches since May would have put your hair much much longer, but I didn't think about you trimming almost constantly. That still sounds nuts ! I wouldn't want to trim that often.

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Your pregnancy wouldn't affect your ends really, just your new growth.

Thanks for the explanation on the amount of trims and your growth rate. I saw your album pics from last Nov and the wedding pics and thought ???. 13-15 inches since May would have put your hair much much longer, but I didn't think about you trimming almost constantly. That still sounds nuts ! I wouldn't want to trim that often.

haha. Glad you understand now! Yeah, it is an awful lot of trimming, but with the amount it grows, I really don't miss it! I really just was it to be healthy! :)

MandyBeth
November 25th, 2011, 11:17 PM
My ends are horrid from henna - drying - and oil shampoo - no protection. I gave up on most things as I like my hair straight, so damp anything mess with that. I just trim half the growth monthly, keeps the ends more ok.

Oksana
November 26th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I have had awfully dry ends for the last 2 months. I literally just did a honey treatment and my ends feel lovely and soft :cheese:

ktani
November 26th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I saw that in the Honey thread and just asked for details there, if you would like to share them.

Panth
November 26th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Another suggestion: if it's splits as well as dryness that you're getting, could part of the issue be blunt scissors?

However, I think ktani and the others have got it - I think the clarifying just wasn't strong enough and then all the stuff you did afterwards didn't help. Chelation may also be an issue, particularly as most clarifying shampoos don't chelated and as city water certainly can be hard (it just depends on the geology of the area where the actual water came from).

ktani
November 26th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Another suggestion: if it's splits as well as dryness that you're getting, could part of the issue be blunt scissors?

However, I think ktani and the others have got it - I think the clarifying just wasn't strong enough and then all the stuff you did afterwards didn't help. Chelation may also be an issue, particularly as most clarifying shampoos don't chelated and as city water certainly can be hard (it just depends on the geology of the area where the actual water came from).

The scissors is a good call.

I have hard water where I live. While it can be a problem, the catnip I use is acidic and my ends are not dry. The water is not a problem for me.

Considering the shear number of these kinds of threads, all at one time, I really really think it is this, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1881066&postcount=37 that is the biggest problem.

ktani
November 26th, 2011, 02:35 PM
For anyone pregnant, this is a good thread to review, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16840.

It may need updating but it is a good start.

Amber_Maiden
November 26th, 2011, 03:49 PM

It's not the scissors. I have a very good recommended pair, which I get sharpened every year or so. I also still have the weird ends when I go to a salon, where they have WAY nice scissors.

Amber_Maiden
November 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM
The scissors is a good call.

I have hard water where I live. While it can be a problem, the catnip I use is acidic and my ends are not dry. The water is not a problem for me.

Considering the shear number of these kinds of threads, all at one time, I really really think it is this, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1881066&postcount=37 that is the biggest problem.

Ktani, since you seem to know a lot about herbs and what's safe during pregnancy, do you know if it would be safe for me to use catnip on my ends?

Thank you in advance!!

UPDATE: Tonight I'm going to brush my hair, and see what the ends look like. I clarified with baking soda last night, twice just to make sure, and then I Coed, later I brushed it with my tangle teezer, and put my hair up for bed. I didn't brush my hair this morning, but I will tonight and see what has happened!!! I'll update again in a bit! :) Hopefully, with good news...

ktani
November 26th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Ktani, since you seem to know a lot about herbs and what's safe during pregnancy, do you know if it would be safe for me to use catnip on my ends?

Thank you in advance!!

UPDATE: Tonight I'm going to brush my hair, and see what the ends look like. I clarified with baking soda last night, twice just to make sure, and then I Coed, later I brushed it with my tangle teezer, and put my hair up for bed. I didn't brush my hair this morning, but I will tonight and see what has happened!!! I'll update again in a bit! :) Hopefully, with good news...

Catnip is not recommended for use during pregnancy or breast-feeding.

While I think the risk would be small to none on your ends, I do not recommend it for you now or until you stop breast-feeding in the future.

Health Canada on herbs and pregnancy and breast-feeding, http://www.sogc.org/health/pregnancy-herbal_e.asp#herbal

ETA: I only rely on sources I trust for herbal information. This is one of them.

ETA: 2 Calendula on that list is also known as Pot Marigold.

ETA: 3 and Marigold http://www.medbroadcast.com/natural_products_info_details.asp?nhp_id=19
"Do not use if you are pregnant or breast-feeding."

I look forward to your update.

Amber_Maiden
November 26th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Catnip is not recommended for use during pregnancy or breast-feeding.

While I think the risk would be small to none on your ends, I do not recommend it for you now or until you stop breast-feeding in the future.

Health Canada on herbs and pregnancy and breast-feeding, http://www.sogc.org/health/pregnancy-herbal_e.asp#herbal

ETA: I only rely on sources I trust for herbal information. This is one of them.

ETA: 2 Calendula on that list is also known as Pot Marigold.

ETA: 3 and Marigold http://www.medbroadcast.com/natural_products_info_details.asp?nhp_id=19
"Do not use if you are pregnant or breast-feeding."

I look forward to your update.

shudder: Calendula was in the shampoo I was using just two weeks ago from Oneka! GAH! *gives it to husband*

UPDATE:

Ends are DEFINITELY much better after the Baking Sofa method. Not totally better, but better. My ends are darker than the rest of my hair, so I also believe some dye got stuck there... Hopefully it fades soon- my ends are black.
I plan on keeping my hair up, like I've been doing, and ignoring it. I even got earmuffs today so I can keep wearing messy buns on the top of my head. :)
Thank you everyone for the help! I still plan on looking into my water content, and on oiling more often. Right now I'm back to using my silicon serum.

HintOfMint
November 26th, 2011, 11:59 PM

Whew. I was worried my ends were horribly bad. Epically bad.

It wasn't the way it was cut. Every time my hair is cut my ends go back to looking like this. They've been this way for about over a year now... Maybe even 2?

You're positive they didn't use a razor or a pair of scissors to slice at the ends of your hair? That can lead to awful ends in no time, if done incorrectly. And a lot of salons do this, so if this is happening every time...

I don't mean to harp on it or not take you seriously when you say it wasn't the way it was cut. I'm just wondering if you thought she meant blunt scissors instead of razoring.

Anyhow, I'm glad the baking soda washes are helping!

ktani
November 27th, 2011, 02:19 AM
shudder: Calendula was in the shampoo I was using just two weeks ago from Oneka! GAH! *gives it to husband*

UPDATE:

Ends are DEFINITELY much better after the Baking Sofa method. Not totally better, but better. My ends are darker than the rest of my hair, so I also believe some dye got stuck there... Hopefully it fades soon- my ends are black.
I plan on keeping my hair up, like I've been doing, and ignoring it. I even got earmuffs today so I can keep wearing messy buns on the top of my head. :)
Thank you everyone for the help! I still plan on looking into my water content, and on oiling more often. Right now I'm back to using my silicon serum.

I am very glad it helped. Just use it when needed and no worries.

I wear my hair down most of the time. That in itself has never been a problem for me. It was getting my hair balanced in its condition. Catnip is one solution. There are others.

Maverick494
November 27th, 2011, 08:51 AM
What you could do is what I did: let go of all the healthy, natural products and shampoo your hair with regular shampoo and use a nice coney conditioner. This ended the crunch factor for me.

Cowgirl16
November 27th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I would second the advice to do a 50/50 EVOO and Coconut oil mixture. I'm using it and it's the most moisturzing oil combo that I've ever used. Just melt the coconut oil and add the EVOO. The solution should stay liquid unless it's super cold. I have this mixture in a mini bottle and keep it in my purse.

Just keep trimming it. You'll get rid of all the old damage eventually and wonder why your hair is so healthy all the time. ;)

I trimmed off 1/2-3/4 inch every month for 3 months because my ends felt like velcro. I also started using a EVOO/CO mix on my hair straight out of the shower. I concentrate on the last 10-15 inches of my hair. It has made a HUGE difference in my hair.
I also use ACV every time I wash my hair. :cool:

Amber_Maiden
November 27th, 2011, 09:03 AM
You're positive they didn't use a razor or a pair of scissors to slice at the ends of your hair? That can lead to awful ends in no time, if done incorrectly. And a lot of salons do this, so if this is happening every time...

I don't mean to harp on it or not take you seriously when you say it wasn't the way it was cut. I'm just wondering if you thought she meant blunt scissors instead of razoring.

Anyhow, I'm glad the baking soda washes are helping!

The places I go to don't use razors. I've been to only 2 places in the last year- twice to the salon of a friend, who is a hairdresser there, and to another salon. And they didn't slice the ends of my hair. I tell them to show me everything they use and to show me exactly what they are doing in the mirror. I also make them measure with ruler how much they take off... Like I said, I'm OCD about it a bit...

Amber_Maiden
November 27th, 2011, 09:05 AM
What you could do is what I did: let go of all the healthy, natural products and shampoo your hair with regular shampoo and use a nice coney conditioner. This ended the crunch factor for me.

I use a cone serum once and a while after I wash my hair. I won't give up the natural products though... :)

dRummie
November 27th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I get the same thing as you describe when I use oil. If clarifying helps you, then you know it's buildup of some sort, and then it's just a matter of figuring out what's causing it. I'd try taking out parts of your routine for a couple of weeks each and watching the effects.

CurlyMopTop
November 27th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I get this from build up of any kind (and things build up quite quickly on my hair whether it be silicones or natural products), or if I use an oil that clashes with the coatings in whatever shampoo/conditioner/product I used. :) I vote for the clarifying wash using baking soda diluted in water followed by a well diluted acv rinse. Then pay attention to how your products interact with each other. I've found that I either need to dilute the products that I use really well or clarify more often. HTH... ;D