PDA

View Full Version : How often do you S&D and for how long?

Amber_Maiden
November 24th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Wondering how often people here S&D and how long they spend doing it?

I'm not trying to do as often as I used to- but I like to do it at least every 2-3 months... And then I get really nuts and spend about an hour or two doing it.... :o I get pretty focused... My own little world... haha

julliams
November 24th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I was S & D'ing around twice a week for about an hour at a go whilst on my laptop and watching TV (can't watch tv without surfing the web these days - ultimate multitasking). I found that I got a little too obsessed with my hair/ends and it seemed like it just never got any better anyway. So I decided to stop altogether. I obviously have all my splits, but I can't see that I have any more than usual.

I sometimes wonder if a split hair is damaged alot further up than we realise. I'm wondering if when I snip it off, it just re-splits again anyway. So by S&D'ing so often I was actually making the problem worse (or no better and wasting my time).

Amber_Maiden
November 24th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I was S & D'ing around twice a week for about an hour at a go whilst on my laptop and watching TV (can't watch tv without surfing the web these days - ultimate multitasking). I found that I got a little too obsessed with my hair/ends and it seemed like it just never got any better anyway. So I decided to stop altogether. I obviously have all my splits, but I can't see that I have any more than usual.

I sometimes wonder if a split hair is damaged alot further up than we realise. I'm wondering if when I snip it off, it just re-splits again anyway. So by S&D'ing so often I was actually making the problem worse (or no better and wasting my time).

hmmmm... Maybe eh? I do notice that sometimes I might have a split at the end, and splits coming off further up... So i end up cutting 2in off sometimes. Gah.

julya
November 24th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I've stopped doing S&D, I haven't noticed any difference the past couple of years without it.

Quahatundightu
November 24th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I do a couple of minutes every few days. I usually have my scissors next to my computer so if I happen to see a split (or more commonly for me, a white dot) then I just snip it off!

Madora
November 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM
About 20 minutes every day. S and Ding is hard on my eyes. I rarely find more than 2 or 3 splits when I do it, but consider it time well spent (I concentrate on the last 3 inches of hair).

Yozhik
November 24th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I'm a little S&D crazy. :o

I do it almost every day, sometimes only for 5 minutes, but sometimes up to half an hour. :p

I will say that I used to notice many more splits than I do now (mostly I find white dots).

Amiblue
November 24th, 2011, 09:52 PM
My Hubby says I am getting too hair obsessed because I am on here, trying new things AND S&Ding just about every night. After I put the kids to bed, I sit in front of the tv and start searching. I figure, it is my time to unwind and de-stress, so if that is what I want to do with it, that is what I will do. Lol!

spidermom
November 24th, 2011, 10:03 PM
It's hard on my eyes, too, but if I'm stuck waiting for a long download or the drive-up bank window, I'll do a bit. It's depressing, I always find splits or roughened up cuticle or dots - usually all of the above. I find a lot of hairs that have what looks like a twig sticking out about 2-4 inches up from the ends. A deep split, I believe that is called. Ugh! I hate them all!

ladonna
November 24th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I have been doing s&d every Sunday for about 3 weeks, until my eyes get sore. I had highlighted around my face so that is where most of my slpit's are. Last Sunday I only found a couple deep splits.

MandyBeth
November 24th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Daily for 20 minutes or till my eyes cross. I don't find many splits, more as my crappy vision makes them to see vs how much damage my hair has.

cnd0020
November 24th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Any tips to reduce the chance of splits? Like deep conditioning weekly, or oiling the ends after a wash?

lajsa
November 24th, 2011, 10:54 PM
@cnd0020: I've heard something about catnip rinses being good against split ends, I think. Maybe look that up?

I don't S&D. At all. :o I feel horribly lazy (which I am, but yeah), but I honestly don't have the patience. And I never manage to get a light where I actually see the splits when I try to do it. My hair's pretty fine so sometimes it's hard to see.

But of course, whenever I'm on the bus or in polite company I ALWAYS see the little buggers perfectly well. I'm starting to think I should bring a pair of scissors with me everywhere... and risk people thinking I'm a nutter who starts cutting stuff out of my hair in public. :p

Which I am. :D

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 24th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Any tips to reduce the chance of splits? Like deep conditioning weekly, or oiling the ends after a wash?

Keeping hair up, not using heat, and pretty much treating hair properly and well, usually combat splits. I know everyone gets splits though, I dont think you can 100% avoid them. Lol.

kanaka
November 24th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I used to do it everyday for 15min when i joined LHC but now a days i am not being patient and so not doing it at all. i am doing microtrims twice a month. But whenever i feel like S&D ing i will definitely do it but i can say, its being pretty rare

MonaLisa
November 25th, 2011, 12:59 AM
A lot, when I first joined...every day..at work, at home..sometimes 5 minutes sometimes an hour... Lately I just don't do it..it's been months, I don't notice any difference!
But I do plan a little S&D mission with my next trim :)

slz
November 25th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Never. Oh I've tried all right, but after two or three hairs my eyes are out of their sockets from the straining and pain (uncorrected hypermetrope and astigmat with one very weak eye).

ArienEllariel
November 25th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Wondering how often people here S&D and how long they spend doing it?

I'm not trying to do as often as I used to- but I like to do it at least every 2-3 months... And then I get really nuts and spend about an hour or two doing it.... :o I get pretty focused... My own little world... haha

Oh me too. lol I've been doing it about once a month for my full head of hair (perhaps over a couple days though) and you know, the usual "I see a split!!" moments where I run for the scissors.

Ceridwen Iris
November 25th, 2011, 03:11 AM
I've been searching on occasion since I joined here but can't find anything to destroy. My ends are kind of kinky and crazy but there don't seem to be any splits anywhere.

Apriori
November 25th, 2011, 06:55 AM
I have tried to do it 3-4 times but I always give up after a few minutes because I just don't find any split ends.
A few times I have found a bend hair, and I do find white dots, but never splits. Is this possible? Or is my hair just to fine or my eyes to bad to see the splits?

Kamir0
November 25th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I do a couple of minutes every few days. I usually have my scissors next to my computer so if I happen to see a split (or more commonly for me, a white dot) then I just snip it off!

That's what I have been doing! :lol:

My Hubby says I am getting too hair obsessed because I am on here, trying new things AND S&Ding just about every night. After I put the kids to bed, I sit in front of the tv and start searching. I figure, it is my time to unwind and de-stress, so if that is what I want to do with it, that is what I will do. Lol!

I find it very relaxing...

moon2dove
November 25th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Not as often as I should is my answer!

When I do, I usually find white dots, then I start panicking that my hair is going to be full of horrible, ugly splits and I will spend ages going through it like a fine tooth comb :)

Alias
November 25th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Every or every other day and it usually lasts for 10-15 minutes. Or, like someone above mentioned it, sometimes when I see a white dot or a split, I just jump, take my scissors and cut it off.

jeanniet
November 25th, 2011, 02:27 PM
It really depends, but I try to do it at least every couple of weeks because my ends seem to get less tangled if I keep up with it. I don't usually find a whole lot of splits. For whatever reason, my closeup vision has gotten much better with age, so looking at my ends isn't difficult as long as I have a light background to hold them up against. I don't trim to speak of--a tiny dusting every once in a while maybe--so S & D is the primary way I keep my ends in good shape. Honestly, my ends have way fewer splits and damage now than when my hair was at APL!

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Same here! :)

Shuan
November 25th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I agree with this, I usually spend a few minutes to about 15 minutes a day before I go to bed S&Ding. I just hope I don't sleepwalk and cut my hair off while I don't notice, since I keep those scissors near my bedside. :mad:

LadyLongLocks
November 26th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Not as often as I should. Probably every 2 or 3 months and it takes at least 30 minutes. It is interesting the different kind of splits the hair has, plus the bent ones and the dots.
I need to do it soon.
A bright light at my desk works good and I put a black piece of clothing up making a good contrast.

jojo
November 26th, 2011, 05:29 PM
About twice a year when i remember or see some monster splits! I really must do it more, but I just can't be arsed :D

Egana
November 26th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I've tried it a couple of times, but with my curls and layers it is just so danged difficult to isolate the ends, that I find it very frustrating. I have to look for curls or kinks that looks different from the rest of the curls and kinks...

...sitting in a sunbeam helps, though, the sun goes through the split ends, lighting them up so I can seep them against the dark auburn of the rest of my hair. My hair is damaged from years of using a bad comb, so I know they are there...

julliams
November 26th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Gah! I caved and just did a session. Not as bad as I was expecting. Perhaps the trick is to snip high above the split and not only just above it??

Amber_Maiden
November 26th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Gah! I caved and just did a session. Not as bad as I was expecting. Perhaps the trick is to snip high above the split and not only just above it??

That's what I do!
I find that some splits have more splits above it... I like to make sure there's not any. :)

kitcatsmeow
November 27th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I WAS doing it about twice a week for about an hour. Now about twice a month for 20 minutes (after my cut.) I just do the front part that I can see. I've only noticed less splits since quitting the straightening iron.

Cowgirl16
November 27th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I haven't been doing it on a regular basis; but, I have a pair of scissors in my purse so whenever I have a moment I can S&D a bit.

I do it mostly when my DH is driving :D

EdG
November 27th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I did a S+D for the first time yesterday. I think I spent two hours. :o

For some reason, splits tend to occur on the hairs between my shoulders and waist. Hairs past my waist break off cleanly rather than split. :confused:

I will see if regular S+D helps to improve the condition of my hair. As I age, my hair seems to be getting weaker and more prone to broken ends.
Ed

infinity_girl
November 27th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I do it whenever I have some hairdressing scissors in front of me and some free time. I find it really relaxing, like doing a sudoko puzzle :p.

CastaDiva
November 27th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I hardly ever s&d, maybe once a month or so. My problem isn't so much split ends,( I find maybe 3 or 4 splits every time I s&d) but more general wear and tear on the ends.

iszolda111
November 27th, 2011, 01:13 PM
i was doing it everyday for the past couple weeks, became sort of a habit really. but then I noticed it seemed like there were just as many, it didnt seem too make a difference. So I found a split, snipped it off with my proper, sharp, shears, and then I rubbed the end a little bit between my fingers and voila, it split again, very tiny, but I could see that it had. So ive just stopped, my hair must be damaged furthur up then is visible, so I feel like maybe its best to leave it alone.

papera
November 27th, 2011, 03:36 PM
it depends on whether I'm very busy or not. When I have the time I can sit for hours and do S&D, especially when the sun is shining and I can sit on the balcony, so nice! :)
But I also do S&D as a way of relaxation ... when I'm especially busy I just do some S&D before going to bed .. my boyfriend calls it my way of meditation ;)
And then I have time where I couldn't care less about split ends!

naturegirl321
November 28th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Used to do it weekly, but I haven't done it in years. I'm just going to let it grow.

LocustSpawning
November 28th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I do it a few times a week...! and microtrim too often, probably. But I'm obsessed with keeping my hair healthy and thick.

Nymphea
November 28th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I do it whenever I have time. Even 5 minutes of break from work can be a great time for S&D. ;)

MaiCarInMtl
November 28th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I snip white dots/splits when I see them here and there. Otherwise, I would say 1-2 times a week for about 20-30 minutes where I actually sit down and do an S&D. About 2 months ago though, it got pretty bad and I was doing about an hour, 3x a week. Obsessed much?

monichella
November 28th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I'm obsessed with s&d, I do it every time I sit in front of my pc with down hair, it relaxes me.
I usually find too many split ends and white dots, this is the reason why I s&d so often.
My hair looks very thick and strong but, doesn't care what I do, tends to split ends and s&d daily is the only answer.

PrairieRose
November 28th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I S & D about every few weeks. I know it needs to be done but I find it very depressing:(

Impulsive
November 29th, 2011, 12:03 AM
I'll cut a split or dot whenever I see one, but I don't have sessions as often as I should. Once every few months. Of course, I'm very thorough, so each session takes hours and often lasts a whole weekend. Still, I can't help but think that if I did it more often it wouldn't take quite so long...

uptosomeone
November 30th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I don't S&D very often because every time I do I find myself on the bathroom counter in various uncomfortable positions trying to trim every split I find. At 1-2 hours a session, this can sometimes cause a few cramps in my legs/arms/eyeballs from going cross-eyed. :p

mariakatija
May 5th, 2014, 06:51 PM
I S&D every day before bed for about 10 minutes. I do it because I really enjoy it!

xoChesleyy
May 5th, 2014, 07:11 PM
I S&D quite often. Any time that I am sitting in front of a computer screen and notice white dots or splits, I S&D until I get bored.
Whenever I notice more splits or white dots than usual, I will do a thorough S&D session for at least an hour.

Sharysa
May 5th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I trim my splits every new moon for an hour or two. It's less because I'm obsessed and more because I have so much hair. I usually do 6-8 little braids and trim off the wispy, bent, or forked ends.

divinedobbie
May 5th, 2014, 07:21 PM
I don't S&D anymore. I used to do it in three hours sessions but there was always a gazzilion more split ends and white dots. I got fed up with it and chopped it off to APL which should have took care of at least 80% of them but tons of new split ends formed within days despite the gentlest and best of care. I kind of gave up and now I only S&D when I want to, not because I feel I must.

meteor
May 5th, 2014, 10:11 PM
I don't S&D. Thankfully, I'm not seeing any splits. If I saw a lot of split ends, I'd go for a dusting or a trim to preserve the hemline.

My theory is this: if you get splits all the time anyway (especially if hair is fine and fragile), then S&D will only help temporarily; and if you are getting splits and that's not typical for your hair, then something's up with the hair routine or the diet. I consider rough brushing, heat/chemical/mechanical damage, inadequate conditioning, wearing hair down all the time, and fad diets to be the usual suspects. I'd address that rather than spend time S&D'ing.

Aderyn
May 5th, 2014, 10:33 PM
I agree with meteor, in regards to identifying the cause of the split ends and working on preventing them from forming in the first place.

I S&D my hair once every two or three months for about 30 minutes to an hour or just whenever I see a particularly nasty split. I don't trim my hair as I prefer the fairy-tale hemline on myself with my hair texture.

Sharysa
May 5th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Well, my hair is indestructible, I have a clean bill of health, I haven't used heat for years, and I drink nettle tea to give myself a vitamin boost. My hair still has a fair amount of splits every month; it's most likely because I'm a borderline wavy.

S&D might only help temporarily, but I'm good with it.

Edit: I find that doing a smaller 30-minute session on my normal braid, in bright natural light, helps a LOT with getting rid of what I can't catch in the bathroom.