PDA

View Full Version : Glasses and hair, no good combination...

ilovelonghair
July 9th, 2008, 12:58 AM
When I wear my glasses always a single hair gets stuck in one of the hinges and it breaks off, that's why I always have an unwanted fringe :(
I try to really avoid this, but it keeps happening. Has anyone else this problem

socks
July 9th, 2008, 01:02 AM
That happens to me, too, but I'm afraid I don't have any solutions.

Delilah
July 9th, 2008, 01:02 AM
You bet.
All glasses do this to me, I've never had a pair that didn't.
I ended up with a kind of wispy bit at each temple because of it.
I'm not sure there's anything you can do to help... unless you wanted to wrap the hinge with something, but I can't imagine a way to do that and have it look tidy.

moshi-mo3
July 9th, 2008, 01:04 AM
i have that problem and i either just carefully take them off cuz thats when i gets stuck the most or avoid wearing them cuz i don't have to drive and my sight isn't to extreme

Riot Crrl
July 9th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Yes, be very careful when putting on and taking off. Also the style of glasses may make a difference. I like the nerdy black plastic frames, and they seem to be more hair friendly than wire frames that I've had.

Siava
July 9th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I have the same problem, too. :( I don't wear my hair down often because of this.

Chromis
July 9th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Not all hinges are hair unfriendly! For the ultimate in hair friendliness, you can find rimless frames that don't even have any hinges, but even my cheaper current pair do not catch. I think a big part of it is shape (large hinges mean more area to catch things in) nd how far they stick out from your face.

Simplicity
July 9th, 2008, 06:32 AM
I don't wear glasses daily, but this happens every time I wear my sunglasses on!

bex487
July 9th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I have plastic frames and I've had really good luck with my hair not catching.

anna1850
July 9th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I've never had hair trapped in my glasses but maybe I've been lucky. I think it depends on the style of the glasses maybe.

I don't wear my glasses most of the time though anyway; just for TV, cinema, classes, driving etc.

What about half-ups? Surely they'd keep the hair away from the hinges...

jojo
July 9th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I get this too, wish I had a solution for you

Nizhoni
July 9th, 2008, 08:28 AM
My sunglasses usually takes a few hairs with them when I take them of, but my glasses are more easy on my hair. :)

Kirin
July 9th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I usually use dental wax (the kind they use on braces in the mouth to keep the edges from rubbing) on my glasses hinges/screws, works fantastic.

ladystar
July 9th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Same thing happens to me they get stuck on my hair, I hate it I try my best to pull it out slowly.

Raederle
July 9th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Oh man, I feel your pain. The problem got a little better when I switched back to contacts, but of course, I couldn't wear them all the time. My sight is so poor, I need something from the moment I awaken until sleep time. A year ago, I got some new frames that flare a bit at the temple. I'll post a picture tonight, but I have to admit that the problem is pretty much gone now.

RavennaNight
July 9th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Yes, be very careful when putting on and taking off. Also the style of glasses may make a difference. I like the nerdy black plastic frames, and they seem to be more hair friendly than wire frames that I've had.

Yup! I have the black plastic frames too! They're funky with thicker arms. Since I got them, the problem of hair getting caught stopped 90%. My sunglasses, though are another story. They have a raised coral motif on each side which has proved unfriendly with my hair! I have to wear it up or its a constant battle.

Siava
July 9th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I usually use dental wax (the kind they use on braces in the mouth to keep the edges from rubbing) on my glasses hinges/screws, works fantastic.

Cool! Does any wax rub off on your hair? I mean, do you see little waxy bits - is it visible? If not, I'm definitely gettin' some.

vidgrl007
July 9th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I wear contacts so it doesn't happen to me but when I wear sungasses every once in awhile it will happen.I have to be very careful on how i take shades off.

wintersun99
July 9th, 2008, 09:33 AM

burns_erin
July 9th, 2008, 09:40 AM
If you have a store nearby like a Wal-Mart or an O'reilleys, you might try oiling the hinges and screws with some stuff in a red bottle called "Marvel Mystery Oil" it works great for me. It is definitiely not something you would want to oil your hair specifically, but it keeps my hair from catching on the hinges or the screws. As for the patterned motif of ear peices or frames, I coat them lightly with a coney based hair serum, you then have to clarify your glasses sometimes, but it is helpful for me.

Oskimosa
July 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I second the opionions about the plastic frames. I got mine SUUUUUPER cheap, $60 with every upgrade possible, at www.zennioptical.com (http://www.zennioptical.com) , which is great because I'm blind as a bat and normally spend $400 on frames. I must rave about them.

But seriously, anywhere you go to buy them they sell those hingeless titanium ones. Some people don't like them because they might not stay on so well, but the majority of people that have them like them. I see alot of people wearing them where I'm living now. Oh, another good one is : www.googles4u.com (http://www.googles4u.com) ..

soprano
July 9th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I have little whispy "wings" over my ears, but until recently I was wearing my glasses only rarely, and I don't think that they cause it. I have short, very fine hairs along most of my hairline, with a greater concentration around my temples.

I can't even remember the last time I got hair caught in my glasses hinges. I have rather delicate, small-ish titanium frames. I wonder what it is about the design that makes them so hair-proof?

HerbalAnnie
July 9th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I only have problems with my glasses that have spring hinges. I discovered that if I pull the ear pieces away from my head a bit before taking them off, it opens up the hinge and releases any trapped strands.

missmanytoes
July 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Oh yeah, Zenni is GREAT! Cannot rave enough about them; I've turned every member of my family who wears glasses on to them. (And I have a large, darn near blind family! LOL 10 out of 11 of us wear lenses of some sort or another and I haven't even gotten to nieces/nephews yet) Anyway, the dental wax idea sounds like a good one. I'll give that a try.

Kirin
July 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
The wax is opaque, no one sees it. It doesn't come off unless its really hot out! It will melt/get soft. I've never had any get in my hair. Its been a while though, I only wear my glasses when I'm around the house/ hair is up, otherwise i wear contacts.

Ohio Sky
July 9th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I never get hair stuck in my glasses unless I push them up on top of my head, then the nose pieces grab my hair.

I imagine it just depends on the glasses. Perhaps next time you get a new pair, try taking them off/on several times before deciding on that pair.

Or maybe use some kind of epoxy to seal the area that is grabby. :shrug:

thankyousir74
July 9th, 2008, 01:40 PM
OH MAN!! I so suffer from this!! I always cringe a little when I hear that single hair pop >_<

Siava
July 9th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks, Kirin!

Tap Dancer
July 9th, 2008, 04:09 PM
It only seems to happen to me with new glasses. Once I've worn them for about 6 months or so, my hair doesn't catch in the hinges. It's weird. :confused:

lapushka
July 9th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I only have problems with glasses that don't have spring hinges. I have one pair of which the ears don't move backwards at all and *that* is the pair my hair always catches on! It's a pain because the ears don't move backwards so I can release the hair.

I'm nearsighted. Anyone else having trouble with updos & fixing their hair (I need to take off my glasses for that and have to seat myself 2 inches from the mirror)?

Sometimes I'm so glad I can switch to contacts.

yldchyld
July 9th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I believe you may be able to find some sort of cover for the hinges to slide over them. I would look in the electrical department for wire covers.
Either that or use a piece of the neoprene they use for sunglass holders to slide over the hinge.

I think the electric wire cover route would be less noticeable.

Loviatar
July 9th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Just chiming in to say I havent had a single hair catch on my glasses since I switched to the rimless style of frames. I have polycarbonate lenses and very thin glasses arms/nose bridge. Also, my thicker, retro plastic 50's pair do not catch either.

But my plain metal sprung-hinges caught all the time.

(I've cut my bangs back in now, so it's irrelevant, but when I had longer bangs, I noticed a lot of catching in my older frames.)

HTH!

getoffmyskittle
July 9th, 2008, 04:59 PM
In my experience, thin wire frames do this. Thicker wire frames with tight hinges and plastic frames don't.

kwaniesiam
July 9th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I've never had this problem :confused: but my glasses are solid plastic fram and the hinges meet up solidly so there's really no room for hairs to get stuck, plus they're up pretty far from my face away from the hair.

atlantaz3
July 9th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I have drill mounted lenses so no hinges just a smooth rounded edge. I haven't noticed my hair breaking due to my glasses. The brand I have is sillouette but there are other brands that all do the drill mounted lens.

ilovelonghair
July 10th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I mostly wear contacts, but need glasses for when my eyes need a rest. I'm practically blind so no glasses would be a danger hazard for me. I'm about to buy new ones, my old ones are so fallen apart that only the lenses are there and I have to hold them to my face :cheese:. I'll have a look for plastic frames as well as the non-frame ones.