PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first pair of spin pins!

Yame
November 24th, 2011, 12:23 PM
These are awesome! I can't believe I didn't get them sooner (although I didn't get them sooner because I couldn't find them anywhere)!

I'm holding a gibraltar bun with them:
http://i.imgur.com/GpIPr.jpg (sorry for the low res cell phone pic)

The hold is so sturdy, I think this bun with the spin pins could possibly survive my dancing...

It's also nice for days when I can't quite decide on what hair stick to wear because none of them seem to match my clothes, or for situations when hair sticks could be a hazard or be deemed a hazard.

Yay!

sbhonda
November 24th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I love my spin pins. My hair is too short to use them right now, but they were great when my hair was bleached, buns were one of my only decent looking options, and hair elastics would have caused crazy breakage. They always held no matter what I was doing, the only problem I had was with my layers popping out, but that is no fault to the spin pins. They're very readily available around me, and inexpensive, so they're a great option. I like that they can be almost completely hidden as well. Sometimes it's nice to have it look like your hair is just holding itself there.

Yame
November 24th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Sometimes it's nice to have it look like your hair is just holding itself there.

Definitely! Especially now that I am getting so sick of my hair sticks... but there are so many options of different ones to buy, that I can't decide. Best to just let the style speak for itself, eh?

Juanita
November 24th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Just got my first pair. Love them. Holds it all in place so comfortably.

WaterMusic
November 24th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Love my spin pins! I wasn't able to completely eliminate hair elastics until I got these, I always used an elastic at night because I needed something that wouldn't get caught on my pillow and wouldn't be hard against my head. Now I just make a cinnabun on top of my head and insert the spin pins.

Toiréasa
November 24th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I just bought my first pair I have not tried them yet tho,guess I need to break them out and give them a try.
I have the same problem as you Yame I can't decide which stick or clip to wear or they don't match!

blondie9912
November 24th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Love my spin pins as well! Even though the instructions say not to interlock them, I often do because it holds better that way.

kaiakai
November 24th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I love spin pins, too!! The only downside, in my opinion, is that I can't wear them around my wrist like elastics :D

Yame
November 24th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Love my spin pins! I wasn't able to completely eliminate hair elastics until I got these, I always used an elastic at night because I needed something that wouldn't get caught on my pillow and wouldn't be hard against my head. Now I just make a cinnabun on top of my head and insert the spin pins.

Yes! Another usage I was looking forward to (and will try tonight).

I was trying to sleep with my hair in a high bun tied with a hair tie, but the bun always gets all stuck in the hair tie and it's a mess the next day... probably more damaging than just sleeping with the hair down.

Sometimes I do one or two loose braids, but on some nights I am too lazy to braid my hair. Plus, braids are slightly uncomfortable too, only one step above wearing my hair down. So lately I'd given up on doing anything, and was just sleeping with my hair down as I had been all my life.

But now I have something new to try...

Yame
November 24th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I love spin pins, too!! The only downside, in my opinion, is that I can't wear them around my wrist like elastics :D

That's true! Unless you wear some matching bracelet and just interlock it with the bracelet? ;)

At least they are small enough that you can keep them in your purse or wallet, though!

dulce
November 24th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I love spin pins!Great for a lazywrap bun or a half up in a bun.

ashleyrox
November 24th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Aren't they great! So glad I found them a year or so ago!

WaterMusic
November 24th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Yes! Another usage I was looking forward to (and will try tonight).

I was trying to sleep with my hair in a high bun tied with a hair tie, but the bun always gets all stuck in the hair tie and it's a mess the next day... probably more damaging than just sleeping with the hair down.

Sometimes I do one or two loose braids, but on some nights I am too lazy to braid my hair. Plus, braids are slightly uncomfortable too, only one step above wearing my hair down. So lately I'd given up on doing anything, and was just sleeping with my hair down as I had been all my life.

But now I have something new to try...

It is AWESOME. I will never wear my hair to bed any other way.

Sundial
November 24th, 2011, 10:36 PM

dulce which points do you insert your pins at?? Do you use one or two? I've been trying to use them on lazy wraps without success.

When I try to insert the pins to anchor the center as I normally would with sticks, the weight of the outside rolls tends to pull the bun apart. And when I insert the pins from the edges of the bun, it doesn't quite catch the hairs in the center and the bun is unstable since it's not held firmly in the center :confused:

ETa: Yame you can try using the spin pins in a flipped cinnamon bun! They look really polished and holds so well! I learnt that spin pins can hold up that style when I first saw schweedie's flipped cinnamon bun in her album. It's awesome! Looks great but only takes a minute or two to do.

Yame
November 25th, 2011, 08:24 AM

How? I would not know how to do a lazy wrap bun without a stick! There are a couple such buns, which I would only be able to do with a stick because the stick itself helps me shape the bun, not just hold it... but I also know quite a few that the stick is there just to hold it, and for those I could use the spin pins.

Yame
November 25th, 2011, 08:27 AM
ETa: Yame you can try using the spin pins in a flipped cinnamon bun! They look really polished and holds so well! I learnt that spin pins can hold up that style when I first saw schweedie's flipped cinnamon bun in her album. It's awesome! Looks great but only takes a minute or two to do.

I also got this, along with my spin pins
http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Simple-Styles-Modern-Maker/dp/B003FV82VA

I figured that would be a really good toy to hold flipped buns and french twists. I have 2 similar toys but one has a decoration that snags on my hair, and the other has rough edges... so I avoid using them.

Ice~Cold~Wind
November 25th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Spin pins rule. I bought a pair last year and they are the best for buns! So comfortable and they don't irritate my scalp like using elastics. I haven't been able to use them until recently because I cut my hair. I think I prefer them over hair sticks as they're so much more discreet and they don't jab me in the neck if I happen to bend my neck. :) I wonder if they'd work in a french twist.

Mina17
November 25th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I love spin pins too! I am updo-challenged and on mornings I can't seem to get anything else to work, I know I can rely on the spin pins to do a simple bun that will hold up all day.

mrs carol
November 25th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I also love my spin pins. I like that they don't show, just the bun.

Vanilla
November 25th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I use the spin pins all the time, they are awesome.

Sometimes I use them by themselves, or I use them with my hair forks when my hair is slippery and won't hold the fork by itself.

Vanilla
November 25th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Spin pins rule. I bought a pair last year and they are the best for buns! So comfortable and they don't irritate my scalp like using elastics. I haven't been able to use them until recently because I cut my hair. I think I prefer them over hair sticks as they're so much more discreet and they don't jab me in the neck if I happen to bend my neck. :) I wonder if they'd work in a french twist.

I use them in my French twists all the time. Sometimes I need to use two, one in the top of the twist, and one in the bottom, but it works well. :)

Danni5173
November 25th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I have them but can't figure them out- I'm bun (and every other updo) challenged...

DarkSky
November 25th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I know I was amazed when I stumbled across them and tried them out for the first time. I was very skeptical at first. It's unreal how well they hold in your hair... and so easy to take out with no pulling or breaking etc. A great invention by goody!!

ladonna
November 25th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I love my spin pins too. I send my 7 yr old DD to school with a side bun (back by her ear) and it stay's all day.

ccmso12
November 25th, 2011, 09:47 PM
love my spin pins also! I just can't keep track of them and have to buy a new pair every 2 weeks or so!

Ice~Cold~Wind
November 26th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I use them in my French twists all the time. Sometimes I need to use two, one in the top of the twist, and one in the bottom, but it works well. :)

See, I'm new to french twists, so I'll have to give this a try!

HintOfMint
November 26th, 2011, 06:57 PM
They are the perfect hair tool, I absolutely love mine. The best part is when I take down my hair and my male friends always look so confused at the "weird screws" I had in my hair.

Ice~Cold~Wind
November 26th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Sometimes I create to mini buns on each side of my head and put one spin pin in each to secure them. :D

long&blonde
November 27th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Searched LHC to find this thread again. I don't feel tv commercials have any effect on me:but wow, do I ever listen to you guys on LHC! Lol! After posting i'd never tried spin pins,just Amish hairpins, on my fine 2c, HL plus, hair,(longest layers now reach BCL) afraid spin pins would get tangled;hard to remove; I read all of your posts. Lol,am the proud owner of a set of blonde spin pins as of yesterday;will search & report back when I use them! I do shopping trips after reading LHC!