PDA

View Full Version : this maybe dumb but...

moshi-mo3
July 9th, 2008, 12:26 AM
ok i missed something what do cones do to your hair? and also i was wondering has anyone used pantene and what do you think of it. :D

Shermie Girl
July 9th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Cones coat the hair shaft. They can make the hair feel softer, silkier and smoother. They can temporarily "glue" minor damage (like split ends) but can't actually repair the hair. Nothing can. Cones can make hair look very shiny, too. Most laminating shine products are mostly if not all cones.

Cones can build up on your hair. Many people who use cone products clarify on a regular basis. I do. :)

Pantene is very cone heavy. If your hair likes cones and you enjoy highly scented products, Pantene is a nice line. I have used it on and off for many years and have always liked it.

ETA: Your question wasn't dumb, at all. :)

moshi-mo3
July 9th, 2008, 12:35 AM
it seems that with other products my hair seems dry and bristle it is very soft so do you think i should continue use. i only wash my hair every 2 weeks cuz my hair is naturally dry

Riot Crrl
July 9th, 2008, 12:43 AM
This just in: I got my new pH testing probe. Which is awesome. So I was running around testing all my hair products. I tested some of my old Pantene conditioner. I poured it in a cup to do so.

IT WAS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO WASH THE CUP. Seriously, I've washed a 9 day old peanut butter bowl that was easier to clean.

So that is what Pantene and silicones do. They are very slippery and make things feel smooth. Then they never wash out. Ever!

toodramatik
July 9th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I've been meaning to ask this for the past few days but was too embarrassed.. yay for your bravery!

I like cones too, particularly because i like to flat iron about once a month.. The fact that my hair is 'coated' gives me a bit of confidence to.

moshi-mo3
July 9th, 2008, 12:48 AM
lol thx i have been thinking about it for awhile too. i'm not to good with flat irons so i have to use a curler maybe every other week and it seems to protect hair. and i'm so sry for your cup. what was the ph balance thing. lol

Riot Crrl
July 9th, 2008, 12:51 AM
It measures the acidity and alkalinity of things. Which is awesome.

LOL thanks about the cup. It will be fine with enough dish soap. Which I don't really want to do to my hair after every time I use conditioner...

moshi-mo3
July 9th, 2008, 12:54 AM
i know i'm kind of lazy and maybe wait a day lol (trying to be better though)

toodramatik
July 9th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Tea tree shampoo is excellent for getting rid of build up. I used to backcomb && spray && gel my hair and I had to use tea tree to get rid of all the... grossity.

How do cone-free conditioners condition hair?

LongForLife
July 9th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I used to use Pantene, but had to stop because it made my scalp itchy and hair so heavy that it pulled all the waves/spirals out of my hair! I then tried Head and Shoulders, mostly for the scalp issues. That didn't help my scalp at all, and if anything almost seemed to dry my hair out and make it really poofy. Then I switched to Burt's Bees Grapefuit and Sugar Beet Extract and I love it! No more waxy residue that pulls waves out and guess what, no more itchy scalp!
I found out later about Sodium Laurel Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate. They are skin irritants, so I think that may have been the scalp problem. I'm assuming the cones was the issue with the extra heavy weight.
I know lots of people like the cones, but I like to go a little more natural, and don't like products with lots of synthetic ingredients. And it didn't seem to help my hair any. Unless I want mostly straight hair with extreme weight pulling down.

moshi-mo3
July 9th, 2008, 01:02 AM
what store did you get the burt's

LongForLife
July 9th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Tea tree shampoo is excellent for getting rid of build up. I used to backcomb && spray && gel my hair and I had to use tea tree to get rid of all the... grossity.

How do cone-free conditioners condition hair?

I've never tried tea-tree shampoo. Thanks for mentioning that. :)

Well, the Burt's Bees cone-free uses natural ingredients to condition hair. I usually look for a natural alternative, and at least for me, I have found it. :)

LongForLife
July 9th, 2008, 01:03 AM
what store did you get the burt's

I sometimes get in online right from the company. Otherwise I can get it at Walgreens. I'm not sure who else carries it.

Sidani
July 9th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I used the Pantene for blonde hair and after a couple of weeks, my hair started feeling like straw. I hated it. I switched back to Pantene clarifying shampoo once a week with V05 conditioner.

If your hair is quite dry, have you tried conditioners only (CO)? I did it for a month, along with coconut oil treatments once a week, and the difference in my hair was amazing. There's a before and after pic in my album if you're interested in seeing the difference.

moshi-mo3
July 9th, 2008, 01:08 AM
i've been thinking about doin it but my job is very dirty i'd have to wash it once in awhile but yeah i'll try it and take a look at your pics

LongForLife
July 9th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I used the Pantene for blonde hair and after a couple of weeks, my hair started feeling like straw. I hated it. I switched back to Pantene clarifying shampoo once a week with V05 conditioner.

If your hair is quite dry, have you tried conditioners only (CO)? I did it for a month, along with coconut oil treatments once a week, and the difference in my hair was amazing. There's a before and after pic in my album if you're interested in seeing the difference.

I should try the coconut oil. I keep hearing about it, but haven't tried it yet.

wolf girl
July 9th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I sometimes get in online right from the company. Otherwise I can get it at Walgreens. I'm not sure who else carries it.

Publix also carries Burt's products.. :D

LaurelSpring
July 9th, 2008, 09:06 AM
This just in: I got my new pH testing probe. Which is awesome. So I was running around testing all my hair products. I tested some of my old Pantene conditioner. I poured it in a cup to do so.

IT WAS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO WASH THE CUP. Seriously, I've washed a 9 day old peanut butter bowl that was easier to clean.

So that is what Pantene and silicones do. They are very slippery and make things feel smooth. Then they never wash out. Ever!

The last time I tried Pantene it clogged up my tub drain so bad I had to use Draino to unclog it and the ring around the tub was impossible!

Tangles
July 9th, 2008, 05:17 PM
They're always an option if you must have silky hair for a special occasion. I think cones, for me, are like alcohol and coffee: great for specific purposes, but certainly not on a daily basis.

Pantene has been a BIT drying for me in the past--their shampoos, not their conditioners as much though. I was once told by a hairdresser that Pantene is incredibly drying and just a bad product, but I'm not sure it's really any worse than anything else. Pantene works a lot better than Tresemme, Aussie, Herbal Essences etc. for me, but now I'm sticking to sulfate free products.

avraea
July 9th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I wonder if the Pantene shampoos are more drying since their conditioners are so heavy on the cones? From the sound of it (not being able to wash it out of a cup, yikes!), you'd need some harsh sulfates to get rid of cone buildup, but that would also dry your hair out.

aprilmay
July 9th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I was wondering about this also. I have been using No More Tangles on my DD3 who gets major snarls in her hair. It works!

Riot Crrl
July 9th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I wonder if the Pantene shampoos are more drying since their conditioners are so heavy on the cones? From the sound of it (not being able to wash it out of a cup, yikes!), you'd need some harsh sulfates to get rid of cone buildup, but that would also dry your hair out.

I also think (some may disagree with this but I am fairly certain it was true on my hair) that due to my routine (add cones to length, almost never clarify length, only suds roots) that the continuous having silicones built up on there was trapping out moisture. Not 100% of course, I was able to get my hair wet, lol, but enough to make a difference.

Darkhorse1
July 9th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I love pantene products. I find they work the best for my hair. I work outdoors, so I think the coating helps protect it. When I find my hair getting too flat/limp, I stop using it and go to a different product, and then return back to Pantene. :)

girlcat36
July 9th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I used Pantene for years and years thinking I was using something good for my hair. The entire time(15 years) it was making my hair break off on the ends---no wonder I couldn't get my hair past BSL.
I was so surprised when I found out about cones two years ago.
My hair is dry to begin with, and the use of cones kept the moisture OUT of my hair.
No cones-no breakage-no splits.
Some people's hair is better with cones, but not my fine, dry curly hair.

Riot Crrl
July 9th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I used Pantene for years and years thinking I was using something good for my hair. The entire time(15 years) it was making my hair break off on the ends---no wonder I couldn't get my hair past BSL.
I was so surprised when I found out about cones two years ago.
My hair is dry to begin with, and the use of cones kept the moisture OUT of my hair.
No cones-no breakage-no splits.
Some people's hair is better with cones, but not my fine, dry curly hair.

I think texture may have a lot to do with it. I haven't found a split end since going CG. It used to be breaking off left and right, dry looking, etc.

If your hair is already straight and glossy... cones might be protecting it. In my case... it was protecting it, but only from the things I didn't want to protect it from.

girlcat36
July 9th, 2008, 07:50 PM
***HIJACK***

Riotcrrl--are you stalking me? :D

Riot Crrl
July 9th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Yes.

I'm stalking all the newly bumped posts at the moment.

girlcat36
July 9th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Hee Hee :D