PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo and Shedding

Yame
November 23rd, 2011, 10:33 PM
So, this is my second shedding thread already... I'd opened another one a few months ago asking to hear people's successes in reducing their shedding. I will look back at that thread to check out some possible things to try, but first I figured I should try the most basic thing of all... changing my shampoo.

I read ktani's article about shedding, and there was a brief mention on there about certain shampoos clogging the pores on our scalps and increasing shedding. Before I try anything else, I figured I should start by changing my shampoo and seeing if that helps at all.

Have any of you seen increased shedding from a certain shampoo, or been able to decrease your shedding by switching shampoos? Do tell... and name the products, too.

I don't really believe that this is my issue, since I've been shedding a lot since I can remember (it must have been at least 5 years), and I've only been using my current shampoo for around 2 years. But I do think my shedding has increased over the past few years, and especially over the past few months, though the latter might be my impression because over the past few months I went from washing my hair 2-3 times a week to washing it just once a week, and I've been wearing it up very often, so I'm sure a lot of sheds just hang around until wash day.

So in my case it's very unlikely that it's the shampoo, but I really do think I should check that first before I try anything else.

coffinhert
November 24th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Does your shampoo contain sodium laureth sulfates? You might be allergic. Allergies can get worse over time.

Amber_Maiden
November 24th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Does your shampoo contain sodium laureth sulfates? You might be allergic. Allergies can get worse over time.

Yep, turned out I was allergic to SLS. Changing to products without it changed my whole life.

Yame
November 24th, 2011, 09:21 AM
No SLS on mine!

Amber_Maiden
November 24th, 2011, 09:24 AM
No SLS on mine!

How about ALS?

Yame
November 24th, 2011, 09:41 AM
How about ALS?
I believe it's completely sulfate free but I'll check.

Sunsailing
November 24th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I've been using Nioxin Cleanser #3 (shampoo) for the past few years. I've experienced decreased shedding since switching.

Yame
November 24th, 2011, 10:33 AM
This is the shampoo I use: http://www.amazon.com/LOreal-Paris-EverPure-Moisture-8-5-Fluid/dp/B001P1ZELS

Here is the ingredient list: Aqua/Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Distearate, Glycereth-26, Decyl Glucoside, Parfum/Fragrance, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Amodimethicone, Polyquaternium-7, Polyquaternium-10, Methylparaben, PEG-55 Propylene Glycol Oleate, Propylene Glycol, Carbomer, C11-15 Pareth-7, Benzophenone-3, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Glycerin, Trideceth-12, Laureth-9, Linalool, Tocopherol, Limonene, C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, Benzyl Alcohol, Juniperus Communis Fruit Oil, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Rosmarinus Officinalis Oil/Rosemary Leaf Oil, Methylisothiazolinone, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid.

So it says there's no sulfates, but what is sodium lauryl sulfoacetate? Is that SLS? And what about disodium laureth sulfosuccinate?

Amber, what were the symptoms of your allergy and what shampoo are you using now?

Sunsailing, where did you get that shampoo>