PDA

View Full Version : Kinked ends

PlainLight
November 23rd, 2011, 10:22 PM
I started my first "search and destroy mission" today. Thankfully there were a lot less split ends than I had thought :) but I noticed something else. My hair is very straight, only the slightest wave. But many of the very ends have odd kinks and curls, only in the last inch or two. Is that a sign of damage, and should I be cutting those off at the same time as the split ends?

katsrevenge
November 23rd, 2011, 11:09 PM
I was just watching mine but noticed that later the kinks were gone and I had split or shredded hairs. Not split ends, but the hair shaft was split there. So now I snip them. YMMV.

clichepithet
November 23rd, 2011, 11:38 PM
I started my first "search and destroy mission" today. Thankfully there were a lot less split ends than I had thought :) but I noticed something else. My hair is very straight, only the slightest wave. But many of the very ends have odd kinks and curls, only in the last inch or two. Is that a sign of damage, and should I be cutting those off at the same time as the split ends?

Do you braid frequently? I have issue on occasion in these areas, due ties from braiding.

I test areas to see if I can tap them and have them bend at a 90-degree angle anywhere within their weirdness. If so, I trim them. If not, they get the benefit of a doubt. *If there is no obvious splitting.

coffinhert
November 23rd, 2011, 11:55 PM
Are the kinks like, a single bend? Like an L-shape? I get those, and yeah, right on the bend is where the hair breaks eventually. If I pull on it and it snaps easily at the bend, then I take scissors and microtrim that. If it doesn't snap easily, I leave it for next time.

Arctic
November 24th, 2011, 12:56 AM
I remember one of our member, whose hair was also on the C category, noticed, that if she wets the "offensive" hairs, they often return to their original form. In her case the hairs were just temporarily bent.

I personally tend to snip anything and everything except perfect ends, but than again I've never been able to grow to long lenght either :) I always think that damage comes in many forms other than the much talked about split ends.

Have you seen this split end chart? I don't know who originally made it but it's been circulating hair forums for years! LINK (http://images35.fotki.com/v1132/photos/1/1250351/5594875/splitendchart-vi.gif)

spike316
November 24th, 2011, 01:48 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences this! My hair is pretty difficult to s&d still (a bit too short) so I'm just kind of waiting on that at the moment, but they make detangling awfully difficult! :(

tgagurl27
November 24th, 2011, 02:43 AM
I get all of those types of splits shown in that link. It's so annoying. I carry around a pair of nail scissors that I bought specially for S&Ding. It fills in spare time when I'm waiting around or just bored haha

Audhumla
November 24th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Maybe single strand knots are what's causing the kinks. Try and see if you can see a little knot at the point where the hair bends. Apparently tangle teezers can cause these kind of knots.

Amber_Maiden
November 24th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I get kinked ends all the time. A month ago I got layers and a trim... and I already have kinked ends.

PlainLight
November 24th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I don't braid my hair, just put it in a bun, but it's been almost three years since I trimmed. :shrug:

A lot of the ends had that right-angle bend without a visible knot (some had knots too) and quite a few were tapered down to nothing. I trimmed those ones off. I'll leave the curled ones and see what happens with them.

Thanks for the help! :)

Carolyn
November 24th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I sometimes get oddly bent or kinked ends after bunning my hair. I think it's due to my sloppiness in tucking the ends under the bun coils. Check your hair after air drying and before bunning. Run your fingers down the strands in question. If you feel a little bump it's probably a fairy knot. If there is a little hinge then it's a hair that's ready to break off. I trim off all obvious splits, sheds, hinged hairs, those with white dots, and anything that looks questionable. If the hair can be straightened out with water then it's not damaged.

PlainLight
November 24th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I had had my hair in a bun overnight, let it down and washed it (conditioner, shampoo, conditioner) in the morning. I patted my hair down with a towel, brushed it, put a bandanna over my head and let the ends air dry. Then I went after the splits in midafternoon, so they hadn't been in a bun since they were washed.