PDA

View Full Version : Sore spots if I go more than 2 days without shampoo

DarleneH
November 23rd, 2011, 08:15 PM
I can go two nights without shampooing, but if I don't shampoo that third night then the next day I start feeling sore spots. And if I go longer, they get worse. What causes this???

hendricks82
November 23rd, 2011, 09:07 PM
Not sure what causes this, but I get the same thing.

nocojojo
November 23rd, 2011, 09:16 PM
I'd love to know too. It's the main thing that prevents me from stretching washes.

sbhonda
November 23rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
This happens to me after about 3-4 days, especially under where my hair was put up. It feels almost like I have a bruise there. The only thing I can think of is maybe that the oil makes the hair clump together a little, and that makes it pull on the scalp differently than it normally would. Or that oily hair stays put better, so it's more likely to sit one way on your head without moving for a longer period of time. Then when it does move, you can feel it. I don't really have any evidence to support any of this, it's just what I always assumed was happening.

I can say that this used to happen to me after 1-2 days, but as I have stretched washes it has become less of a problem. I really only have this happen when my hair is in a ponytail, and therefore not moving around much, and then I take it down. I usually rub my scalp a little and that makes it feel better.

vanillabones
November 23rd, 2011, 09:35 PM
This happens to me often. We just have scalps that like to be washed regularly. I don't stretch washes because of it. It is possible to stretch them a bit when using dry shampoo, but I have found having to vigorously wash out the dry shampoo after a few days more damaging than simply gently washing my head every other day sometimes everyday with sls free shampoo. My scalp does love sulphates but that is too much for washing often :) I'd rather wash often than have sores that tempt me to pick them and oily hair that I can't enjoy, it won't even be worth it!

Dars
November 23rd, 2011, 10:03 PM
I used to get this when I first starting stretching my washes, now I've successfully stretched to once a week and no problems for a very long time.

Mina17
November 24th, 2011, 05:10 AM
I get pimples on my scalp that are sore if I try to stretch washes. It could be that. I don't think stretching washes works for everyone. It certainly doesn't for me.

Amber_Maiden
November 24th, 2011, 05:42 AM
huh... can't say this happens to me, but it's interesting to know this could happen!

Snippety
November 24th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Ha ! I thought that was just me ! I wash twice a week and sometimes get these sore patches as though the hair had been pulled really hard. I only ever wear a loose plait so nothing really tight, but my hair is quite heavy.

LaLaBella
November 24th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I get pimples on my scalp that are sore if I try to stretch washes. It could be that. I don't think stretching washes works for everyone. It certainly doesn't for me.This is another reason why I cannot stretch washes. I mean, aside from the stinky-head issue. I get head acne.

Lucky
November 24th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I have the same problem, I get tender headed after 2 days. I can sometimes stretch to 3 days in between washes, but my scalp is really sore and tender and my hair just looks dull and greasy.

I don't know what causes it, I think sbhonda's theory is interesting, that's kind of what I think might happen too.

I usually wash every other day, that's just what my scalp seems to prefer, I've been successfully doing CWC, which seems to take care of my ends and satisfy my oily scalp.

infinity_girl
November 24th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I get this too on the top of my head. I thought it was dermatitis or something but I have only had it since I stopped regularly shampooing and started doing mostly CO. I wonder what it is?

Anywhere
November 24th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I think it's the oil. I oiled my scalp and left it on all day, and when I tried to take it down to brush it it was so painful that I gave up. If my scalp doesn't have oil on it it doesn't get painful.

blondie9912
November 24th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I used to get this too! When I would stretch for about 4 washes, and when my hair would be in an oily bun, it would feel like I have a bruise in the middle of my head, where the bun was. I'd love to know what causes this as well :confused:

DarleneH
November 24th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I get pimples on my scalp that are sore if I try to stretch washes. It could be that. I don't think stretching washes works for everyone. It certainly doesn't for me.

Yes, that's what I meant happens if I don't go ahead and wash when I feel the sore spots come on. They go from flat, feels like a bruise sore spots to raised sores that get crusty. Not a pleasant situation! I wonder if this kind of thing is what they call "cradle cap" in babies? I don't have kids so have no experience with that.

txhedgehog
November 24th, 2011, 08:17 PM
My hair will get horribly sore, too. It doesn't get crusty or anything like that, but it will hurt until I wash it again. I am not sure why the washing doesn't hurt, but my hair takes pride in making no sense.

summerjade
November 24th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I get the same problem, the pimples on the scalp. I wash every day to prevent this.

dulce
November 24th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I get the same problem, plus it itches,so I wash daily and my scalp and hair are happy!Some people just can't stretch washes.

Mina17
November 25th, 2011, 03:46 AM
I wash daily too. I'll do a CO wash here and there but that bothers my scalp if I do that too often as well. My scalp needs shampoo and if the scalp isn't happy it will eventually affect the hair. I just make sure to condition the length well and use leave-ins to keep it moisturized and to treat it very gently when it's wet. For me anyway, the possible benefits of stretching washes aren't worth a sore scalp that could lead to infection and hair loss.

Kamir0
November 25th, 2011, 05:47 AM
I get pimples on my scalp too at the moment (I wash twice a week).
I am glad I found out about scalp-only washing because I mostly stretch washes to avoid washing the length too often...
I'm going to start washing my scalp every other day from now on.

DarleneH
November 27th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I am glad I found out about scalp-only washing because I mostly stretch washes to avoid washing the length too often...
I'm going to start washing my scalp every other day from now on.
HMMMMMMmmm...... To do that, do you hold the length of hair away with one hand, and use the other to swirl shampoo around your scalp?

mneh
November 28th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I can go two nights without shampooing, but if I don't shampoo that third night then the next day I start feeling sore spots. And if I go longer, they get worse. What causes this???

Until I read your post I thought it was just my strange scalp that did this. I have a very oily scalp although, since switching to organic products, I can now get two sleeps out of my hair before it's too oily for my liking. However, in addition to washing often because of oily scalp, I also wash at least every 2 days because it helps alleviate the bruised sensation I get on the crown of my head if I leave my hair unwashed for too long.

Arctic
November 28th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I have this problem too, and must wash every day or every other day. I also can not use any oil at all or I get scalp problems.

Piyo
November 28th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I get this some time, but I never thought about it being related to stretching washes. I washed last night and have a slight sore spot. I always thought it was from moving the hair in a weird direction. *shrug*

Snippety
November 28th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I get this some time, but I never thought about it being related to stretching washes. I washed last night and have a slight sore spot. I always thought it was from moving the hair in a weird direction. *shrug*

Yes. This is more what mine feels like than itching, or crusty or a spot. It feels like the hair has been bent the wrong way almost.

Gumball
November 29th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I get that sometimes, and my take on it is the muscles attached to the base of each hair follicle. I guess after washing (and after so long) they've been accustomed to being put in a specific position. After a few days, it really is like they're going in a new direction.

It's something I equate to the feeling of "phone elbow" after you've held a phone to your ear for a prolonged period of time. Sure it feels fine there, but once you hang up and move your arm, you'll feel an ache for a bit until it readjusts. When that's a lot of tiny muscles, there is some soreness.

iszolda111
November 29th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I get the same thing, but it happened first after one day, now only after two. I think stretching washes is worth it, it's more natural, I think people only ever washed their hair every three days or more pre- shower era. I think it just takes time for your scalp to regulate it's oil production etc. The same way that if you began washing your face 4 times a day, when you went back to normal it would be oily for awhile before it readjusted. I don't know why it gets sore, but I assume it has something to do with the extra oil buildup around your hair follicles, sort of like heavy on them. Not sure.