PDA

View Full Version : Silk vs polyester satin for pillowcases.

Revontuletar
November 23rd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Ok, I have been sleeping on cotton pillowcases for like...forever. I have heard people on here talking about sleeping on satin or silk pillowcases being better for hair. I have done some research and found that to indeed be true, so I am looking to purchase my first non-cotton pillowcase. What I want to know is: which is better? Silk or polyester satin? Is there anything I should know before I take the all-important plunge? Thanks:D

Dars
November 23rd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Have you tried using the search button? :) Lots of threads on this topic.

Revontuletar
November 23rd, 2011, 08:21 PM

Hahaha I never really did get the hang of the search on this site, but I am looking!

ktani
November 23rd, 2011, 08:29 PM
I have satin acetate bedding. It is a knit that does not cause me to sweat or catch hair on it and it is machine washable and dryer safe. I like easy no fuss bedding.

Pure silk can be much more difficult to care for and what I have (the brand name eludes me and I do not have a reference for it), works perfectly.

Cassie 123
November 23rd, 2011, 08:40 PM
Many people find silk to be more breathable and comfortable than polyester. I have the silk charmeuse pillowcase by Feeling Pampered (http://www.amazon.com/Neutral-Luxury-Pillowcase-Beauty-Sleep/dp/B003GEX6AS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1322105501&sr=8-4) and I love it. I hand wash mine just like lingerie each week when I wash my hair. I also have the Spasilk version but I don't like it as much; it looks and feels cheap. The best price on silk pillowcases is supposed to be from Dharma Trading Co, but I haven't tried it.

Maktub
November 23rd, 2011, 08:43 PM
I also prefer the natural silk

jeanniet
November 23rd, 2011, 08:44 PM
I've used both. I think silk is vastly superior, but it's expensive. I got mine on sale and they're wonderful. I just put them in a lingerie bag and machine wash and dry--they're a little wrinkled when they come out, but smooth out pretty quickly. One of my cats now uses the pillow with the polyester case. :D

islandboo
November 23rd, 2011, 08:44 PM
I have used both and personally find the silk far preferable. (But try both if you can because the satin is much cheaper so it would be great if you like it).

ktani
November 23rd, 2011, 08:45 PM
I bought mine from the Shopping Channel in Canada, years ago if that helps at all, and it has held up beautifully. It was advertised as being cool in the summer, warm in the winter and it has lived up to all of that. It does "breathe".

Diamond.Eyes
November 23rd, 2011, 08:46 PM
I personally prefer silk. It feels so nice against my skin. Polyester has a grainy texture that I could never get used to. That's why I bought silk pillowcases instead :p.

Revontuletar
November 23rd, 2011, 08:48 PM
Many people find silk to be more breathable and comfortable than polyester. I have the silk charmeuse pillowcase by Feeling Pampered (http://www.amazon.com/Neutral-Luxury-Pillowcase-Beauty-Sleep/dp/B003GEX6AS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1322105501&sr=8-4) and I love it. I hand wash mine just like lingerie each week when I wash my hair. I also have the Spasilk version but I don't like it as much; it looks and feels cheap. The best price on silk pillowcases is supposed to be from Dharma Trading Co, but I haven't tried it.

Those silk charmeuse pillowcases look great. A hell of a lot better than the cotton ones I am currently using. Thanks for that I might invest in a couple of them :)

ktani
November 23rd, 2011, 09:05 PM
There was a line of dialogue in an old movie that intrigued me. It was that pure silk diapers became abrasive when wet and that was why the baby in question was uncomfortable.

Ok, it was just a movie.

However, that line stayed with me and there may be something, to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Spasilk-Facial-Beauty-Cloth-Natural/product-reviews/B0034XRDXC/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

nocojojo
November 23rd, 2011, 09:22 PM
I have the Spasilk as my first non-cotton pillow case. It's wonderfully smooth and comfortable but not thick at all. It certainly doesn't seem sturdy. I saw one last week at BBB. It was around $20 so with a 20% coupon it would be comparable to Spasilk.

coffinhert
November 24th, 2011, 12:14 AM
I have silk. If you keep your eye out at thrift stores you can find really pretty silk fabrics that aren't in pillowcase form, and just put them on your pillow anyway - like a large scarf or what I have is a pair of silk pants that I just put over my pillow *shrug* I'm not too picky about how it looks, but it feel ssoooo slippery. The pants are black with green and blue dragonflies. Some day I will cut them up and sew them into a pillowcase.

Panth
November 24th, 2011, 01:33 AM

Hahaha I never really did get the hang of the search on this site, but I am looking!

Just as a hint, if you can't make the actual LHC search bar to work nicely, just hop over to Google and do an advanced search, choosing so the results are within the LHC web address.

It's much faster, much easier and also is better at pulling up useful results.

coffinhert
November 24th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Just as a hint, if you can't make the actual LHC search bar to work nicely, just hop over to Google and do an advanced search, choosing so the results are within the LHC web address.

It's much faster, much easier and also is better at pulling up useful results.

I use google too, i just put in "search term forums.longhaircommunity" and it pops up.

trolleypup
November 24th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Those silk charmeuse pillowcases look great. A hell of a lot better than the cotton ones I am currently using. Thanks for that I might invest in a couple of them :)
Mmmyup. Silk charmeuse feels sooooo much nicer than polyester satin. Modal[1] also is very nice and much cheaper than silk, plus being machine washable/dryable. When I found the modal, I stopped buying luxurious (and expensive) very high thread count cotton sheets, since the modal was much nicer at a fraction of the price.

Neither silk nor modal sheds near as much as cotton.

[1] PureBeech from Bed Bath Beyond is the source for most of my bedding.

CurlyMopTop
November 24th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I'm very excited to say that I'm getting my very first silk pillowcase! My husband just ordered me a couple along with a white silk scarf that I'd asked for (wedding anniversary next week!). Yeah! :D

julliams
November 24th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Remember that satin is the weave of fabric. A fabric can be silk satin, or polyester satin as the OP has stated. Just thought I'd bring that up because it can be confusing.

I believe that polyester satin can be an problem is static is an issue for you.

I have silk satin because I'm very partial to silk. I started washing mine by hand etc but threw it in the wash by accident and it washed beautifully. There are many very different kinds of "silk" so be careful with what you buy.

Mine come from here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-Natural-19-Momme-Charmeuse-Silk-Pillow-case-Ivory-/130430215577?pt=AU_Bedding&hash=item1e5e3f2599 and I am very happy with them. My daughter and I have used them continuously for a year and had no issue with them at all.

Revontuletar
November 24th, 2011, 03:56 AM
After looking around, I have ordered myself a pair of these pillowcases http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180676051109?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
They are silk charmeuse which is a satiny weave, so hopefully they will be good. A little on the expensive side for a pair of pillowcases but hopefully they will be worth it!

julliams
November 24th, 2011, 04:00 AM
They look perfect. Thanks for posting the link. After loving mine so much I have been thinking of getting all the women in my family a silk pillowcase. It works out to about $20 each person so it's a good value gift and something you wouldn't think to buy for yourself (unless you are on LHC - LOL)

Revontuletar
November 24th, 2011, 04:08 AM
They look perfect. Thanks for posting the link. After loving mine so much I have been thinking of getting all the women in my family a silk pillowcase. It works out to about $20 each person so it's a good value gift and something you wouldn't think to buy for yourself (unless you are on LHC - LOL)
Yeah, and I like that the price they give is for TWO pillowcases, not one, so when one gets dirty I can easily change it. Or I could give one to my mum. They have lots of colours too. I got the white, which I am probably going to regret, as it will probably have oil stains all over it within a week, haha. Oh well, I will just say the stains give it more "character" :D

julliams
November 24th, 2011, 04:10 AM
You know what? I heavily oil my hair with olive oil and the like and I sleep directly on my silk pillowcase and oil stains have NEVER been an issue. Sometimes I get mascara on there and it washes right out. They really are brilliant things. Mine is cream.

Revontuletar
November 24th, 2011, 04:11 AM
There was a line of dialogue in an old movie that intrigued me. It was that pure silk diapers became abrasive when wet and that was why the baby in question was uncomfortable.

Ok, it was just a movie.

However, that line stayed with me and there may be something, to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Spasilk-Facial-Beauty-Cloth-Natural/product-reviews/B0034XRDXC/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

If this is true, I don't think it would be much of a problem with pillowcases, since they are dry when you use them :) Sure to be better than the cotton ones I am sleeping on at the moment.

SunnyRainStorm
November 24th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Julliams: giving silk pillowcases as gifts is a really great idea. A good pillowcase can do wonders for hair. I think people often underestimate the damage traditional cotton pillowcases can do to hair.

Revontuletar
November 24th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Julliams: giving silk pillowcases as gifts is a really great idea. A good pillowcase can do wonders for hair. I think people often underestimate the damage traditional cotton pillowcases can do to hair.

Not only that, me and DM get really bad eczema, which is hell when it flares up on the face because absolutely EVERYTHING irritates it. It is very hard to sleep sometimes if it is really bad because of the roughness of the cotton. It's like I can feel every single fibre poking into my skin like tiny needles. I think anything with a smooth satin weave would lessen that discomfort quite a lot.

Amber_Maiden
November 24th, 2011, 05:50 AM
I have satin, and I find it better than silk- doesn't wear as fast.

ktani
November 24th, 2011, 06:27 AM
If this is true, I don't think it would be much of a problem with pillowcases, since they are dry when you use them :) Sure to be better than the cotton ones I am sleeping on at the moment.

As long as you do not drool, lol.

Hiriel
November 24th, 2011, 09:45 AM

I have the same one, just got it! I love it :)
I can't really compare to polyester satin, I've never had a pillowcase of polyester, but to my untrained hands polyester feels pretty similar to silk. It's no problem to hand wash my pillowcase (I hand wash all my bras anyway) and it dries seriously fast compared to cotton!

blondie9912
November 24th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I haven't bought my non-cotton pillowcase yet, but I would assume silk would be preferable, since it's a natural fibre :)

tamchronic
November 24th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I tried out a polyester satin pillowcase last night that I bought a few days ago, but I couldn't sleep on it for long. When my face rubbed against the pillow, I could feel tiny little fibres poking into my face and irritating my skin. It was a little painful, actually. I had to switch back to my old cotton pillowcases. I suppose I might have to invest in a silk one, sometime, though they're a tad expensive.

ktani
November 24th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I tried out a polyester satin pillowcase last night that I bought a few days ago, but I couldn't sleep on it for long. When my face rubbed against the pillow, I could feel tiny little fibres poking into my face and irritating my skin. It was a little painful, actually. I had to switch back to my old cotton pillowcases. I suppose I might have to invest in a silk one, sometime, though they're a tad expensive.

Did you wash it first? I always do that with new items even straight out of the package. It removes any finishing products used on the fabrics that may make them irritating and stiffer.

I learned that from a bad experience years ago with a pair of new blue jeans. The finishing product used broke me out in a rash. I washed the jeans and the fabric was not only softer, no reaction at all.

EvaSimone
November 24th, 2011, 07:50 PM
www.dharmatrading.com sells reasonably priced, plain silk charmeuse pillowcases.

I've felt many different kinds of silk and charmeuse is the best and much nicer than polyesters IMO.

Eta: Also caring for silk charmeuse is very easy, just wash it with hair shampoo and then add a dab of conditioner into the water. I hand paint silk charmeuse scarves and that is what I tell everyone to do instead of throwing them in the wash machine.

KN2384
February 11th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Glad I came across this. I purchased two polyester scarves at a mimimal price and was curious about how good they would be for my hair. I will definitely use them until I can get some silk ones.