PDA

View Full Version : OK, What did I do wrong here?? :S

iszolda111
November 23rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
Ok so I read a thread about ends feeling dry and dead when there are no visible signs of damage and I did have that problem. Since it started getting colder, even though to start with I had cut some inches off my hair and the ends still look really healthy with no splits, they are recently dry and look and act like they are dead, no matter how much conditioner I put on them. Soo I took the advice that someone suggested, to clarify. I have been using lots of conditioner and things lately I thought it might be the culprit. I used a clarifying shampoo today ( my first shampoo wash in 3 days) then followed with my protein heavy conditioner which I use from time to time and it usually makes my hair soft and shiny, and some garnier triple nutrition conditioner ( I always mix some conditioner with the protein one because It doesnt detangle well or feel like normal conditioner). So, I have never had this effect before, but the whole of my hair feels dead right now. It is soo soo dry, and it was all cracking off as I combed through it once it was dry. It is frizzy too and I just dont get what happened? It hasnt looked this bad before? was it the protein? what makes this happen? and did I actually damage it or is it fixable??:confused::confused: I am confused.

Alvrodul
November 23rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
Your hair might need moisture - try an SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128), and perhaps also take some steps to prevent loss of moisture, like oiling. Hope it works!

BlazingHeart
November 23rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
Sounds like after clarifying, you need straight moisture and no protein. Makes sense to me, as clarifying is drying and protein can be drying.

ktani
November 23rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
It may be that you just need moisture or it may be that your clarifying shampoo of choice may be the "wrong kind" to thoroughly do the job needed.

Unfortunately these days that can be a problem. A "good" clarifyer, is basic in that it does not add more things to your hair that coat and build-up while "removing" all of the coatings you are finding a problem with for your hair.

If you check out the ingredients before trying something else it should help.

iszolda111
November 23rd, 2011, 01:27 PM
I used liveclean clarifying shampoo with ACV. After reading thing I found on search I do believe that the problem is after clarifying, I used protein, when I should have used mositure. I am just a noob to this stuff. I will mosterize it tomorrow and see if it helps.

ktani
November 23rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
I used liveclean clarifying shampoo with ACV. After reading thing I found on search I do believe that the problem is after clarifying, I used protein, when I should have used mositure. I am just a noob to this stuff. I will mosterize it tomorrow and see if it helps.

Sounds good - good luck!

Amber_Maiden
November 23rd, 2011, 04:10 PM

Yep, that's what I did last week - use Live Clean's moisture CO- it's amazing!

iszolda111
November 23rd, 2011, 06:44 PM
how about garnier triple nutrition for dry damaged hair? Thats the new one I just got, I wonder if thats any good.

UltraBella
November 23rd, 2011, 06:49 PM
how about garnier triple nutrition for dry damaged hair? Thats the new one I just got, I wonder if thats any good.

I love that stuff !!!

jujube
November 23rd, 2011, 07:01 PM
Sounds like a protein overload, especially if you've been using that protein conditioner regularly.

Hollyfire3
November 23rd, 2011, 07:52 PM
I would certainly say from experience that you probably had protein overload before you even clarified. That was possibly what was making the ends of your hair act so strange. Protein does strange things to great hair in too large of a dose. I am just now getting the natural volume and wave back into my hair after a seriously bad run in with too much protein. Try a deep moisture treatment ASAP and make sure most (if not all) of the products you have do not contain a large amount of protein (if so, discontinue use until the balance is restored) depending on how bad the protein overload is, this could take up to 3 weeks of straight moisture to correct. Do not freak though, from what you read above, this may be just a minor case. It is fixable so do not give up hope.

SoulOfTheSea
November 23rd, 2011, 10:28 PM
From reading this thread, what are some chemical names of protein found in conditioners and what not? Perhaps a link? My hair is acting the exact same way as the OP.

Alvrodul
November 24th, 2011, 04:37 AM
When you read the ingredient list, things like silk, soy and wheat are protein, and hydrolyzed anything. Hm. And keratin. That's all I remember right now, I am sure others can help fill in that list!

julliams
November 24th, 2011, 04:38 AM
I agree with the protein overload issue. Maybe normally you have a coating on your hair which means the proteins don't have such an obvious effect. With the clarifying, any buildup would have been removed and the protein has really got in there. I think if you follow up with lots of moisturising it should go back to normal pretty soon. I found I needed to do about 2 treatments before my hair went back to being it's usual self. It's a really odd feeling isn't it?

Safira
November 24th, 2011, 05:07 AM
I agree protein overload. And if you´re using leave-ins, look if there´s glycerin/other humecants, they can draw moisture out your hair. Try oiling after washing.

SoulOfTheSea
November 24th, 2011, 09:04 AM
When you read the ingredient list, things like silk, soy and wheat are protein, and hydrolyzed anything. Hm. And keratin. That's all I remember right now, I am sure others can help fill in that list!

I shall definitely be on the look out for those! :eek: I haven't really worried about protein until now, where I feel it's actually affecting me.

iszolda111
November 24th, 2011, 07:58 PM
hmmm very interesting. I have this conditioner called GPB organic conditioner. It is a protein conditioner, It says " feed your hair a nourishing DAILY diet...." so it implies it is a daily conditioner, so I thought it was ok to use all the time, and the first few times I used it it made my hair soft and skiny and great looking, so I kept using it and thought the dryness was from some other cause, but it was definitly the protein. How do you even know when your hair needs protein?