PDA

View Full Version : Drain/hair/autumn shed help?

Freija
November 23rd, 2011, 07:33 AM
Hi - I just got told off by my flatmate for the second time this week about my hair blocking the shower drain, and I do feel really guilty. I'm only just below shoulder-length now, so it shouldn't be a problem, but I'm really shedding at the moment (it happens every autumn for me) and the drain is old and not very good. I try to catch as much as I can, but I can't get it all - in any case, it's obviously not working. Is there anything I can do, either to lose less hair in the shower, or to get to it before it ends up in the drain? It's not the sort of plug I can put a filter over. Maybe I could go through my hair thoroughly with a BBB before I shower? I don't want to brush it too much, and damage it, though.

: )

Madora
November 23rd, 2011, 07:51 AM
While brushing it before you shampoo is more effective for removing any loose hair strands, you can use a comb also.

If your shower drain can't accomodate a strainer, maybe you could find one of those flat, round water stoppers, then polk holes in it so that the water will go down the drain, but hopefully the bulk of the shed hairs will not.

BlondieHepburn
November 23rd, 2011, 08:00 AM
I agree with Madora, you could devise a make-shift strainer. Also I've found it helpful to paste my loose hairs on the shower wall that come out in my hands when rinsing. I get every single one that I can (it's not easy, especially since my hair is so light I can barely see them all) and I stick it to the same spot on the wall. After my shower, I swirl the hairs into a mass and throw them away. Although this method has caused me to spend at least 5 extra minutes in the shower (:mad:) it has helped our drain immensely, so I guess it's worth it. Bonne chance!

Amber_Maiden
November 23rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
I agree with Madora, you could devise a make-shift strainer. Also I've found it helpful to paste my loose hairs on the shower wall that come out in my hands when rinsing. I get every single one that I can (it's not easy, especially since my hair is so light I can barely see them all) and I stick it to the same spot on the wall. After my shower, I swirl the hairs into a mass and throw them away. Although this method has caused me to spend at least 5 extra minutes in the shower (:mad:) it has helped our drain immensely, so I guess it's worth it. Bonne chance!

I do this as well!:D

GRU
November 23rd, 2011, 11:55 AM
Have you looked around for different types of strainers? I've seen a variety of types to accommodate different drains, including some that have a domed shape and some that are flat across the bottom, as well as the kind that insert into the drain hole.

My tub has the kind of plug-button-thing that you "push it in to close, then push it again to release". Nobody in my house takes baths (I do a mermaid rinse when I henna is all), so I just unscrewed the plug entirely and bought one of those old-fashioned plug-on-a-chain things for the occasional bath. I just put the Hair Stopper (http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Stopper-Drain-Protector-Strainer/dp/B003B02L2G) into the drain (side view available here (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=13708878)) before each shower (and for every doggie bath! :lol:) and remove it when I'm done, and it works like a dream!

Before I got the Hair Stopper, I would use a drain zip-cleaner (http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&cId=SEARCH&productId=1038705&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-Cobra%20Zip-It%20Drain%20Cleaning%20Tool&CAWELAID=1024192209) every couple of weeks. They're supposed to be a one-time-use thing, but I've had mine for a couple of years -- I just CAREFULLY remove the hair and rinse it off, then store it in the original packaging to prevent injuries under the sink where it is kept. If you have a strong stomach, you can watch this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x_TtfTL4yo) and see how simple it is to use.

Freija
November 23rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks, all! One of the biggest problems is that we don't have a tub, just a shower and a tiled floor - so the water has to be able to drain away immediately and at floor-level as I'm showering or it floods the whole bathroom and seeps out under the door! I'll try sticking the hairs to the wall as I can grab them, though, and sweeping out anything caught in the edges of the drain when I'm done. Otherwise, perhaps I could lay a sheet of open mesh over the drain - it would have to be completely flat, though.

Thank you for the help! : )

BlazingHeart
November 23rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
My hair usually isn't a problem, but my dog sheds unbelievable amounts every time he is washed. We have one of those annoying permanent stoppers in our drain, so I bought a sink strainer like this http://www.amazon.com/Danco-88822-Kitchen-Strainer-Stainless/dp/B000DZF4US/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1322080097&sr=1-2 and put it upside down over the drain. It catches about 95 percent of his shed hair. Might help in your case.

moon2dove
November 23rd, 2011, 02:45 PM

^^^ Haha! I do this too :D

teal
November 23rd, 2011, 07:08 PM
For me, massaging the scalp and combing before a wash goes a long way to reducing the number of hairs that will come out in the shower.

spidermom
November 23rd, 2011, 08:18 PM
I comb/brush before I wash my hair, and it really helps.

You could get one of those dish cloths with an open weave and put it over the drain. You might have to stand on the edges of it to keep it in place. It will catch a lot of hair. I used to do this when I washed my dog in the shower years ago.