PDA

View Full Version : Hair color and LHC dream

MonaLisa
November 23rd, 2011, 01:20 AM
So these days, I was wondering a lot about my hair color.
There all these threads..like Auburn, Blonette, Dark...and I was wondering where I belonged.
I'm still clueless.
My hair can be so dark, like dark brown, especially when there not much light. It definitely has some red pigments, sometimes it really obvious. In the sun it's nearly blonde, at summer...and at winter also considerably lighter, outdoors, in the open.
I used to think it's chestnut color, before all the dyes experiments, now that it's natural again it seems lighter.
Someone help?
What color can that be?

Anyway, last night i dreamt of this...LHC and hair color. In my dream I had to cut off a big piece of my hair and submit it here so my hair color could be determined. In dream, it's the way it's done hehe....
Should think about hair less :D

Springlets
November 23rd, 2011, 01:42 AM
Looking at your album, it looks to me like at its lightest it is a level 5 light brown and at its darkest a level 3 dark brown. It's quite normal to fluctuate between 3 levels depending on light. I definitely saw the red in it too, especially when hit by the sunlight.

ETA: As far as color names go, I'm not sure but it's always fun to look at dye boxes and steal their names. Like maple chocolate nutmeg brown. :)

MonaLisa
November 24th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Oh thank you! I wondered what levels are you talking about, and then saw it in the thread you made, awesome classification! And I think you're right..
Althought that doesn't cover the red stuff or blondish 'highlights' at summer.
I'd love to be darkest brown...with tiny bit of red pigment in it...sigh :)

coffinhert
November 24th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Well there are infinite shades of colors. We certainly don't have words for every color. Maybe your hair is the color of - you!

Springlets
November 24th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Red (as well as ash, gold, beige, auburn, etc.) is all a part of tone. Level just refers to the amount of light or darkness in the hair, so it is separate from tone. The summer highlights I'm guessing would be a level 6 which is darkest blonde/lightest brown.

One of the best things about natural hair is that it defies categorization! Seriously, if you look at many of those blondette or auburn hair threads, many people talk about how their hair will look ash in one light and golden or even red in others! Basically, only dyed hair escapes these wide ranges in color and levels because it has filled the hair shaft with one color combination. Natural hair is affected by light much more easily and will reflect that change.

Perhaps we should have an Undefinable Hair Color! thread (I bet many would join ;)).

Lostsoule77
November 24th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I always wonder the same thing! I'm horrible at figuring out hair shade color. I got yelled at by my sister the other day because I said her hair was brown & she said it is dirty blonde. I'm thinking she is blondette. :)

That being said, I think your hair is a medium shade of brown. It's darker when it's dark, but I can see the red tones in the sunlight. I agree with Springlets on the diversity of color on one person head when it's our virgin hair.