PDA

View Full Version : Another article on women 40+

Tangles
July 8th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I was browsing trashy Daily Mail articles and come across this (it's a year old, sorry):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-500954/Great-lengths-Can-women-40-pull-long-hair.html

What I found interesting wasn't the article itself, which was actually fairly supportive of long hair, so much as the comments that readers posted.

One comment actually said that long hair on women past 40 was comparable to middle-aged men wearing "bomber jackets." And that even Elle Macpherson isn't really pulling off her waist length hair that well anymore because she *gasp!* has some lines in her face. For some reason, that one comment really upset me. Long hair is NOT a fashion statement; long hair is a personal choice, it's part of you that you choose to accompany you through part of your life. I don't know, to compare it to inappropriate attire just really bothered me. I'm a mere young'un, but I was angered nonetheless.

Kirin
July 8th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Whats wrong with a bomber jacket on an older guy? I kinda like that look :cheese:

DaveDecker
July 8th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I was browsing trashy Daily Mail articles and come across this (it's a year old, sorry):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-500954/Great-lengths-Can-women-40-pull-long-hair.html

What I found interesting wasn't the article itself so much as the comments that readers posted.

One comment actually said that long hair on women past 40 was comparable to middle-aged men wearing "bomber jackets." And that even Elle Macpherson isn't really pulling off her waist length hair that well anymore because she *gasp!* has some lines in her face. For some reason, that one comment really upset me. Long hair is NOT a fashion statement; long hair is a personal choice, it's part of you that you choose to accompany you through part of your life. I don't know, to compare it to inappropriate attire just really bothered me. I'm a mere young'un, but I was angered nonetheless.

I completely concur with your sentiment. This article is just the latest bit of evidence of the extreme bias against long hair held by the mainstream media [ETA: and the monied interests they support, i.e. the salon industry]

[ETA2: On reflection the article isn't the worst I've ever read, far from it. It could be seen as a step in the "right" direction (of tolerance). But it gives too much credit to the cliché'd criticisms of so-called experts.]

kwaniesiam
July 8th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I make a point not to read user comments, they're often times filled with stupidity and closed minded comments. It's been said many times both by members of this wonderful community and others that long hair makes you look younger, rather than older, and there are many people here to represent that :flowers:

purplebubba
July 8th, 2008, 09:29 PM
And that even Elle Macpherson isn't really pulling off her waist length hair that well anymore because she *gasp!* has some lines in her face.

But wearing short hair is supposed to be better for the lines? :confused:

RavennaNight
July 8th, 2008, 09:32 PM
why is 40 this magic number when you're supposed to lop off your hair? I was at a 4th of July Barbecue and I was talking to this lady who mentioned she just cut all her waist length hair off. It was now chin length. I was like "Wow that's a big change!" And she said:

"Well, I'm 40, its time! How much longer can I have long hair anyway?"

And I was polite and just nodded and sipped my beer. I don't question people I don't know too well.

Why is everyone being brainwashed about 40?

Gothic Lolita
July 9th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I can't understand this chop-off-when-you're-40 sentiment. I mean, why? My mother is 46 and has chin length hair, which suits her very well. She'd never cut it to a granny-chop with little curls and everything. When she was younger she had waist length, but the shorter tresses suit her better. Nevertheless, her hair was wonderful.

In my opinion, long hair is a personal choice. It can't be a fashion one, because it simply takes too long to grow out, and fashion doesn't wait for anyone. By the time you've gotten there, shorter hair will be fashionable again.
And I think long locks flying around your face, even if it's got some lines, look much better than a groomed-to-death short style which is plastered to your scalp because of the tons of hair spray you need to make it look suitable.

darl_in1
July 9th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I think it boils down to the fact that long hair just doesn't create revenue for the industry. Over 40's or there abouts, are generally considered to have more disposable income and it's easy to appeal to the insecurities of those who concious of aging. Just like disposable fashion is created to keep people spending year in and year out....so the hair industry works.

At the end of the day, it's about personal choice. I ignore the latest fashions for skinny jeans or short skirts etc. because they are not for me (for so many reasons). If I thought they'd suit me (both from an appearance and personal style point of view) I'd wear them....regardless of what is perceived as appropriate for my age group. The same applies to hair.

If people say that you're hair is not an approprate look for someone your age - just tell them that it *is* an appropriate look for someone who refuses to conform to the mainstream. It doesn't represent your generation, it represents you.....and who better to decide that?

Siava
July 9th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I think it boils down to the fact that long hair just doesn't create revenue for the industry. Over 40's or there abouts, are generally considered to have more disposable income and it's easy to appeal to the insecurities of those who concious of aging. Just like disposable fashion is created to keep people spending year in and year out....so the hair industry works.

My thoughts exactly. It's a shame people are so easily manipulated.

Lady Verity
July 9th, 2008, 06:21 AM
The Daily Mail needs to die.

In the words of Obi Wan Kenobi: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Islandgrrl
July 9th, 2008, 06:48 AM

Ummmm....forever???

Even my sister chopped her hair to her chin shortly after she turned 40. At one point her hair was nearly ankle length.

The article was okay, but the comments were the really interesting part. So much negativity! Eesh!

jojo
July 9th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Its a funny old world eh? since when did age have anything to do with how long you should have your hair?

I think as long as it is well looked after, long hair is good whatever the age.

wintersun99
July 9th, 2008, 09:37 AM

Periwinkle
July 9th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I suppose it suits the media for people to think that - after all, if you're cutting your hair and straightening it, highlighting it, layering it, messing with it etc., that's a lot of money spent on it and a lot of products they can sell you.

I think that people who have long hair that they want to care for well (most of the people on this site, for instance) probably think a lot more about what they do with their hair, even though we may still spend a fortune on it. Most people here are too experienced to believe in a quick fix.

Alethia
July 9th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Why do they even print these articles?? If you've got wrinkles, you've got wrinkles - how is your hairstyle going to change that? I'll stick to my long hair - at least a good tight updo gives you an instant facelift!

harley mama
July 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I have never been one to follow trends. Why start now? ;)

centurytoolate
July 9th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Does this mean that when I turn the big 4-0 next month(sob!) I'm going to have to cut my hair off? I have to leave this lovely little community, pull out my dusty hairdryer and curling iron and join the bob crowd? Why oh why didn't anyone warn me?

Silly fashionistas.

az_sweetie01
July 9th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Hmph. Here's the thing, if you exude confidence while rocking your long hair (or your bomber jacket), I say good for you! From my observation, it seems the women with long hair that are older and wiser, look younger than their helmet headed peers and maybe that's partly due to FEELING younger in your long, flowing locks!

But, again, that's just my personal interpretation :)

harpgal
July 9th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Interesting article but it has its problem spots.

I ran into a gal whom I had not seen in several months just yesterday. When last I saw her, she had shoulder length hair which was all one length. She is 62 and with that longish hair, she looked so bright and youthful. However, when I saw her yesterday, I noticed that she had cut her hair into layers and it was coated with some kind of jel to make it wavy. I think the word is scrunched. Anyway, I was shocked! She looked 10 years older!

Tangles
July 9th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Exactly. My mom is 60 and wears her hair a bit past shoulder--it is unbelievably flattering, especially when she wears barrettes on either side for a bit of lift. So maybe hip length worn down and unstyled isn't flattering on "older" people but it's not really flattering on ANYONE. Most people on this board only wear their hair down when it's nicely combed, conditioned, oiled...

wintersun99
July 9th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I found old holiday photo's the other day (while looking for one of me with my natural hair color :)) and found one of my mom (the photo was about 4 years old) and her 'do was cut above chin, dyed brown, kinda frizzy and poofy. Now, comparing that pic to what she now has, which is between SL-APL with almost all natural gray/white she looks sooooo much better! The color compliments her, the length is getting really nice and I know that she feels much better.... she said she's been getting loads of hair compliments from friends (the men too.) It really is a shocking difference looking at the pictures... and NO her hair does not seem to age her, I think she looks healthy and happy.

Darkhorse1
July 9th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Hair is a personal choice--just like clothing. To me, as long as it's well kept and you like it, who is to say I can't have it long? My hair dresser has long tresses, and just past the 40 y.o mark, and I don't see her cutting it anytime soon. So, I'm keeping it long until I feel I should change it. ME. Noone else.

rubyann
July 9th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hmmmm. I didn't START growing till 40. I guess I'm just too old to be growing out my hair. Oh well. Since when did I ever even start to care about what others say I should be???

girlcat36
July 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I suppose it suits the media for people to think that - after all, if you're cutting your hair and straightening it, highlighting it, layering it, messing with it etc., that's a lot of money spent on it and a lot of products they can sell you.

I think that people who have long hair that they want to care for well (most of the people on this site, for instance) probably think a lot more about what they do with their hair, even though we may still spend a fortune on it. Most people here are too experienced to believe in a quick fix.

I guess this kind of makes sense. Getting hair cut and styled every couple of months does keep the industry going. I always used to tell my Ex when we were married that he was saving a fortune being married to me. I never went salons for hair, nails, or skin(still don't).

I just don't get the short poodly permy bob thing for women over 40. My 52 year old friend cut her greying, one layer shoulder length hair into a short choppy cut. I had talked her out of it for a few years, but one day she went and got the cut and showed up at my door--surprise!! She loved it for about 2 months, then got sick of the maintenence( which was much more than her previous shoulder length do). She has also been mistaken for a man several times. She is a cool hip chick and did NOT need to get a sensible cut. Two years later she told me I was right and wants to grow it back out.
I bit my tongue and did not tell her "Told you so!"

FlowerHair
July 10th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I agree that it's most likely the hair industry that wants us to cut our hair in new styles, preferably adding color and other chemicals on a regular basis...
I haven't been to a hair dresser for years and my hair is very healthy! :D

Riot Crrl
July 10th, 2008, 03:21 AM
When I turn 40 I plan to become a tight bunned mean lady. Oh wait, I already am one.

LisaButz2001
July 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I thought that photo of Elle was flattering and did not support their argument in the least. I would have love to have seen before and after pics of the author. When I was younger I would pick an age to cut my hair and then when I reached that age I found I couldn't go through with it and added 10 years. Earlier this year I'd made up my mind to cut it and my haidresser refused, I'm happy now that she did. Who knows what I'll feel like or look like at 40? Gravity pulls (some people's) faces down, not hair.

heidihug
July 10th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Guess I am four years overdue for a cut, and I didn't even know it. Huh. Will have to schedule that appointment with a stylist...

Oh, who am I kidding, I haven't been to a salon for a cut in over 12 years, and I don't intend to go anytime soon.

I was at a customer appreciation event for our company over the past two days, and over 1,300 people of all ages attended. And not one of them had hair even approaching my length, I was making a special effort to notice. I would say that my hair is at least 18" longer than anyone else's I saw. A few teenagers and little girls were at BSL or so, and that's about it. A few women older than me had hair an inch or two below their shoulders, though, which is highly unusual around here.

Peggy E.
July 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Even a "fashion statement" is a "personal choice" - any way in which you decide to present yourself is a choice you've made, considered and pursued for whatever reasons of your own.

Actually, we're doing a "wee" bit better - that magic "over the hill" age was once 30 years old. I read somewhere that "40 is the new 30" - not too dumb sounding, is it?!

But as long as the media continues to feed us the value of youth v. aging, and the society keeps buying in, it's not going to change.

I wonder, just when did it become a requirement for the "older woman" to cut her hair? After all women always used to have long hair - the only difference in length between the youthful and the mature was the age at which the hair was allowed to be worn up. When a girl finally put up her hair it was a signal that she was now considered available for marriage.

It's unfortunate we all can't simply wear our hair, our clothing, BE the person we were meant to be, comfortable, accepted and happy in our own bodies, hearts and minds. Dream on....

jivete
July 10th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I wonder if the original idea that older women shouldn't have long hair came from thinning hair? I might be able to buy the idea that if your hair starts thinning noticeably, long hair might not be the most flattering look for you. But cutting it based on some arbitrary time line? Phooey!

Riot Crrl
July 10th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I wonder if the original idea that older women shouldn't have long hair came from thinning hair? I might be able to buy the idea that if your hair starts thinning noticeably, long hair might not be the most flattering look for you. But cutting it based on some arbitrary time line? Phooey!

The reason my mother's stylist gave that she had to get a bob in her late 30s was that long hair on the sides of the face will "drag it down visually."

DaveDecker
July 10th, 2008, 07:28 PM
The reason my mother's stylist gave that she had to get a bob in her late 30s was that long hair on the sides of the face will "drag it down visually."

I sense that this "drags the face down" description is quite effective in convincing some women to take the stylists' advice to cut the hair. Yet the description makes no sense. Young or old, the face isn't dragged anywhere -- it's right where it always is, just above the shoulders. :rolleyes:

This message will likely never be seen by those who employ this awful phrase to attack others, but this is my comment on it: If long hair is so beautiful it "drags" your attention away from someone's face momentarily, then (1) why blame the victim (the hair) for your subconscious desire to look at their long beautiful hair, and (2) at least describe the phenomenon accurately as "the beauty of their long hair captivated me and I paid attention to it for a moment instead of the person's face." Long hair isn't dragging faces or feet or hands or any other part anywhere! :mad:

harpgal
July 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM
No need to worry about hair dragging the face down visually. Gravity does it anyway. I'm sure glad that I'm not 40....what a relief! :eyebrows:

purplebubba
July 10th, 2008, 08:18 PM
If a woman who is 40 or older with long hair is upside down does her hair drag her face up?

bruteforcegrl
July 10th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Long hair isn't dragging faces or feet or hands or any other part anywhere! :mad:

If a woman who is 40 or older with long hair is upside down does her hair drag her face up?

Thank you for these comments. I have been hearing that for years and it did have the desired effect of making me feel unattractive. It really IS an idiotic thing to say, isn't it? :rolleyes:
bfg

Alun
July 10th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Whats wrong with a bomber jacket on an older guy? I kinda like that look :cheese:

Check out "Too Old to Rock'n'Roll, Too Young to Die" by Jethro Tull. It doesn't mention bomber jackets, but the message (in the last chorus) is that dressing and acting your age is strictly optional.

The old Rocker wore his hair too long,
wore his trouser cuffs too tight.
Unfashionable to the end --- drank his ale too light.
Death's head belt buckle --- yesterday's dreams ---
the transport caf' prophet of doom.
Ringing no change in his double-sewn seams
in his post-war-babe gloom.

Now he's too old to Rock'n'Roll but he's too young to die.

He once owned a Harley Davidson and a Triumph Bonneville.
Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.
But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys
all of his mates are doing time:
married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.
And some of them own little sports cars
and meet at the tennis club do's.
For drinks on a Sunday --- work on Monday.
They've thrown away their blue suede shoes.

Now they're too old to Rock'n'Roll and
they're too young to die.

So the old Rocker gets out his bike
to make a ton before he takes his leave.
Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner
just like it used to be.
And as he flies --- tears in his eyes ---
his wind-whipped words echo the final take
and he hits the trunk road doing around 120
with no room left to brake.

And he was too old to Rock'n'Roll but he was too young to die.
No, you're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
if you're too young to die.

Riot Crrl
July 10th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I sense that this "drags the face down" description is quite effective in convincing some women to take the stylists' advice to cut the hair. Yet the description makes no sense. Young or old, the face isn't dragged anywhere -- it's right where it always is, just above the shoulders. :rolleyes:

This message will likely never be seen by those who employ this awful phrase to attack others, but this is my comment on it: If long hair is so beautiful it "drags" your attention away from someone's face momentarily, then (1) why blame the victim (the hair) for your subconscious desire to look at their long beautiful hair, and (2) at least describe the phenomenon accurately as "the beauty of their long hair captivated me and I paid attention to it for a moment instead of the person's face." Long hair isn't dragging faces or feet or hands or any other part anywhere! :mad:

I agree with you, in case it wasn't already utterly obvious. I did not point it out to try to make anyone feel bad, or to say that it was true, lol. I said it as the equivalent of going on a forum about buying used cars and posting, "Watch out for dealers trying to use X tactic."

morningstar
July 10th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I have had shoulder length to bsl hair for years and years. I cut it short (chin length) in my 30's. I did not look good in my 30s'. I look the best I have looked in years (ok I looked ok in my 20's) I am turning 44 in two weeks and feel like I look like me.

flapjack
July 11th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I don't get the long hair dragging the face down concept. I really don't. Do these stylists ever SEE where the long hair naturally goes? Most of it ends up going down the center of the back! You can't even see it from the front past the shoulders most of the time.

Not to mention there are plenty of options without cutting the hair off. Face framing pieces of hair, hairstyles, etc. That just sounds like a money ploy to me. Oh, come to the salon to make sure your hair stays short and doesn't drag down your face, blah blah blah! Lame, I call bs.

Another thing to think about is that the skin starts naturally getting looser and going downward, anyway, sure. But does that happen on people as young as 40?! Not that I've seen. Some wrinkles here and there are NOT the same thing. This kind of thing usually happens with much older people, 60+. And people with higher cheekbones and more defined/strong faces seem to have less of an issue from what I've seen, as well.

Melisande
July 11th, 2008, 02:49 AM
This "dragging the face down" phrase has boggled my mind for some time. I mean, according to this logic, a bob should do the same? Bobbed hair also follows a downwards line, just like long hair does?

If you take this idea seriously, all you are left with are the following options:

a) shave your head and no lines will be dragged anywhere

b) pixie

c) gelled buzz cut

Very feminine and flattering indeed for the 40+ lady. Wow. And the many variations possible now!

You might adopt a nun's habit in order to complete the look. Or even better - a simple, uncomplicated potato sack. After all, a nun's habit might draw unwanted attention.

Or a burqa. Another great way to save the world from the horrors of women AGING shamelessly in front of everybody's eyes - while still having fun with their flowing hair.

:eyebrows:

curly girl fla
July 11th, 2008, 05:38 AM
http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/1231_hysterically_laughing.gif

So maybe since I've been diffusing upside down, I've actually been practicing anti-aging techniques as well that will counteract the negative daily upright down-drag?

I've been following this thread, and it just angers me so much that society has instilled these ludicrous conceptual guidelines. There have been too many men and women that I know that have conformed, both willingly and hesitantly, to not only the haircut, but imposed fashion limitations, etc. Most are just not happy.

bunnii
July 11th, 2008, 06:29 AM
well some of thiose comments did make me LOL!

this one for example - "Sorry but the majority of women over the age of 40 look dreadful with long hair. They are just kidding themselves in thinking they look younger and better! Saddos." ....The part that really tickles me there is the word saddos, I mean seriously the word saddo says to me that you are infact quite sad hehe.

also someone said - "There are still people 40 and over with long hair some it suits but others look like witches." ........This one is really funny to me because being a witch, i'm quite sure that looking like one wouldn't bother me too much :silly: now if only I knew what witches are supposed looked like normal perhaps? oh no that wouldn't do:lol:

Oh and my personal favourite - "I know one very short woman with hip length brown and grey hair. Rather troll like!" ..... OH MY! thats all I can say on that one teehee!

Now ladies (and the men who don't want "the dreaded ponytails".... hahaha!)
lets all pop off to the salon so they can make us all look fabulous and not 'troll like witchy saddos!' (joke) wow i'm still lolling!

ETA..

seriouly though were do people get of telling other people they have to cut their hair? next time someone tells me to cut, because it isn't fashionable or whatever I shall laugh and tell them that I do hope to be a troll like witchy saddo and my BF loves his dreaded ponytail.

Altocumulus
July 11th, 2008, 06:40 AM
So yesterday I saw a woman who was probably about 60 with nearly classic length, curly, pure white hair! It was in a messy half-up and looked amazing! I thought this would be a good place to mention it. :D

naturechild
July 11th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I have recently turned 40 and I am in no way planning on cutting my hair EVER! my grandma had LONG beautiful hair in a crown braid all the time and she was lovely at 92. My children actually told me NEVER cut your hair. Now that is a request I can do!
I think we age ourselves when we cut our hair, to that helmet head over hair sprayed look uck! I do have a real good friend who keeps her hair very short but it is also VERY thin almost transparent on top and if she grew it long it would plaster to her head and look rather sad. So I do think we need to work with what we have. but in the immortal quot: If you got it flaunt it!

Sammybunny711
July 11th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I truly feel sad when people immediately write off long hair on older women as "ugly". I mean...it REALLY bugs me. I think that long hair on older women is SO beautiful and it makes them look wise and stunning. i especially love it when older women wear their long, white hair in braids or cute buns. Thank you for posting this so that we can all remember that the way in which one wears their hair is THEIR choice. :o)

blue_nant
July 12th, 2008, 05:21 PM

And I was polite and just nodded and sipped my beer. I don't question people I don't know too well.

Yeah, I had this idea said to me: When are you going to cut it? I snapped back with: Why should I?

She didn't answer. I watched her for a minute to see what she would do, but she just let it pass. Good for her! I wasn't about to! lol :eyebrows:

She didn't say it to my male co-worker, and he's just 2 years younger than me, with hair to mid-back that's usually loose.

Hmmmm

If you got it flaunt it!

YEAH!!!

Riot Crrl
July 12th, 2008, 05:28 PM
If your bun is tight enough, it creates a natural facelift. :silly:

truepeacenik
July 12th, 2008, 05:51 PM
This thread, and the many, many dumb age comments we have discussed, makes me vow this:
When I am 50, I will comb down all my hair and run through my front yard arrayed in what ha Shem gave me. and shoes.

Now, I'm staring down the barrel of 40 and patiently waiting for IT to blink.
I think the reason we hear all these nonsensical comments about longer hair on older women is (gasp) we are still vital, sexy beings who are all that and a truckload of chips. Plus we have the life experience to be powerful beings.
Take THAT mall barbies! ;P

Riot Crrl
July 12th, 2008, 05:55 PM
The shoes are a good idea. You never know when there will be something sharp!

flapjack
July 12th, 2008, 07:17 PM
It's not even really the concept of getting a haircut at a certain age specifically that is really upsetting. It's not "the haircut" itself that's the problem, but what the haircut represents. It's basically forcing people to stop doing whatever they were doing at the time at a certain age like it's some sort of cut-off date where they have to start looking and acting a certain way that is DIFFERENT from what they did previously. And all to what? To try and be the person, inside and out, that they were previously? Are people seriously saying that in order to look and feel younger, you need to change and stop doing the things you did when you were younger? That's just stupid, that's what that is.

danacc
July 12th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I remember when I was growing up, my mom used to ask for advice on clothing sometimes. And one of the questions she would occasionally ask was, "Is this too young for me?" At the time, this question made NO sense to me whatsoever.

Decades later, it still doesn't.

Something is either becoming, or it isn't. And you either care about it being becoming, or you don't. It's not an age thing. It's a compatibility between you and it thing. There are so many ways to carry around long locks that there's gotta be a couple of becoming long-hair styles no matter what your age. I think there are perfectly valid reasons to have short hair. I just can't figure out how age is one of them.

Neoma
July 12th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Hmmmmm... If I wear my long hair in updos all the time, will it still "drag my face down"?

Neoma
July 13th, 2008, 11:57 AM
One day, many years ago, DH and I were at FAO Schwarz, the famous toy store. An "older" couple walked by. He had a great, full mane of snow white, shoulder length hair and a nicely trimmed white beard. She had unbound, classic length, snow white hair. My reaction was "Wow!" Even though they were "older" (I have no idea how old -- I've always been terrible at determining ages), they looked extremely vibrant, attractive and sexy.

Every head in the store turned around to watch them pass, as if they were royalty or movie stars.

Tangles
July 14th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I remember when I was growing up, my mom used to ask for advice on clothing sometimes. And one of the questions she would occasionally ask was, "Is this too young for me?" At the time, this question made NO sense to me whatsoever.

Decades later, it still doesn't.

Something is either becoming, or it isn't. And you either care about it being becoming, or you don't. It's not an age thing. It's a compatibility between you and it thing. There are so many ways to carry around long locks that there's gotta be a couple of becoming long-hair styles no matter what your age. I think there are perfectly valid reasons to have short hair. I just can't figure out how age is one of them.

I entirely agree with you. I made my mom buy a blouse that is lower cut than what she normally wears. It is insanely flattering, (she's slim and has a small chest anyway) but she refuses to wear it without a tank top underneath because she thinks it's inappropriate. :rolleyes:

goatgal
July 14th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I might be upset by this article....if I cared what other people thought. I'm 60, mostly grey, and for the first time in my entire life, I LOVE my hair. It's waist-length now and heading for classic. I have no plans to cut, ever.
Come to think of it, my dh (62) sometimes wears his old bomber jacket. Oops, are we ever out of it.

heidi w.
July 14th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I don't usually read this blubber, but was kinda curious.

This stands out for me:
Is clinging on to long hair a last, desperate attempt to hang onto lost youth? Well, yes, of course it is, but so what?

I heartily disagree with the inevitability that having long hair on a woman past age 40 means only one thing. How narrow, even if this person is waving the flag, yeah for long hair on over 40 chicks!

Booo.
heidi w.

Cichelle
July 14th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Long live bomber jackets!:disco:

I just turned 40 and I'll be ______if I'm going to cut my hair. I think my face will handle it just fine. :)

heidi w.
July 14th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Faces droop with age. It's not the hair! LOL

heidi w.

purplebubba
July 14th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Is this a 40+ Long hair? :agape:
Must be some really long hair. I think it might be contagious.