PDA

View Full Version : What's your enthusuasm level for these routines?

shikara
November 22nd, 2011, 08:02 PM
After finding a few ways of fixing my hair that really work for me, I now really look forward to the morning when I can sit at my dresser and fix my hair for the day! I then started thing abou the different routines and how much I liked, didn't like, or was neutral about. What's your enthusuasm level for these routines?

- styling your hair for the day
- combing your hair
- scalp massages
- oiling
- getting in the shower to clean your hair
- preparing your hair for sleep
- anything else I might have missed

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_c60b3fb2.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=c60b3fb2.jpg)

Madora
November 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
After finding a few ways of fixing my hair that really work for me, I now really look forward to the morning when I can sit at my dresser and fix my hair for the day! I then started thing abou the different routines and how much I liked, didn't like, or was neutral about. What's your enthusuasm level for these routines?

- combing your hair
- scalp massages
- oiling

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_c60b3fb2.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=c60b3fb2.jpg)

Brushing my hair gets the highest vote, followed by combing, styling for the day and preparing it for night.

I like scalp massage but don't do it that often.

Oiling is non existent except for a monthly EVOO treatment.

I don't look forward to shampooing my hair in the shower because of my Raynaud's disease plus issues with arthritic feet (I use a bath chair through most of the shampooing/rinsing process).

One other topic that I enjoy: experimenting with new hairstyles

Hollyfire3
November 22nd, 2011, 08:32 PM

- combing your hair
- scalp massages
- oiling

Styling my hair is the highest just because it is the only real "beauty" i do ( i don't wear makeup) I love putting mousse in my hair just becuase it tames the frizz and makes my hair soo soft
combing or brushing my hair is second best only because although it looks nice when done, the comb gets stuck and my head hurts afterwards
I don't oil my hair but do moisture treatments count? in that case, i like the end results but they are SO icky feeling while on
when i do massage my scalp, i like it, it's alright
Washing my hair is annoying because it tangles and is thick and takes too long
preparing my hair to sleep is also nonexistent so i am indifferent to that (on a side note, any protective styles for wavy/curly thick bsl length hair? i know i should put it up at night but i just don't)

another side note, i'm not complaining about my hair or bragging when i say it is annoyingly thick, it just is what it is, and that thing that it is is often hard to work with

Hotrox
November 22nd, 2011, 08:43 PM
I enjoy this, like to experiment with new styles but some days I just pony and go!
- combing your hair
I only do this after washing, so once every other day but I like it, it feels good and I can see how long its getting after a damp comb out
- scalp massages
Can stay motivated for about a week and then forget for a few months
- oiling
No, hair seems to hate oil
I love washing my hair, would do it everyday if I could! Drying it is a royal pain though
I do this every night, but just low bun it takes about 20 seconds so I don't really think about it
Shopping for hair related products...... I wish I could loose some motivation here but I love reading product labels, thinking about the damage v style reward of various hair toys, sad but true :-)

katsrevenge
November 22nd, 2011, 08:48 PM
- combing your hair
- scalp massages
- oiling

My 'styling' is generally just tossing up a loose bun or a quick rebraid. I'm easy that way.

I don't comb or brush daily. More like every other day is comb day.. and I do bbb when I oil. I do enjoy it though.

I enjoy scalp massages though. :)

I enjoy showers in general, and washing my hair is relaxing.

Sleeping is done braided and is probably my least fav thing.

CurlyCap
I like scalp massages, but usually can't be bothered to do it. I play and tug with my hair a lot, and tell myself that's sorta like a massage. :D

Diamond.Eyes
- Styling my hair for the day: Some days I really enjoy trying new things out on my hair but other days I just throw it in a bun and get it out of my face :p.

- Oiling: I like giving my hair the moisture it needs, but if I accidentally apply too much oil then my hair is ruined for the day. So I somewhat enjoy it :shrug:

- Cleaning hair: I really enjoy cleaning my hair. I love how silky and manageable it is on a wash day. :p

- Preparing hair for sleep: Eh. This one doesn't really phase me. Some nights I feel like French braiding it or bunning it, and other nights when I'm really tired, I could care less :p.

One of my favorite hair-related things to do is create concoctions and treatments for it :p. It's really cool to create something and have it work out perfectly. I made a mixture of shea butter, coconut oil (infused with rooibos), vitamin b5, and aloe vera gel this weekend and it is the best leave-in conditioner I have ever used! :D

PixxieStix
November 22nd, 2011, 08:56 PM
At this point, not high. The longest layer are just at shoulder, and the shortest layers still don't get into a ponytail, so mostly I'm just trying to keep it up and out of my way at this point.
- combing your hair
I enjoy detangling very much, because after it is detangled and combed, I treat myself to brushing every few nights because I just love the feel so much, but make sure there are no tangles PERIOD before I do so to prevent damage.
- scalp massages
Probably the highest, I do them on myself and get a small one every single night before bed from my FH.
- oiling
Probably third after scalp massages and getting in the shower to clean my hair. I love the ritual and get excited about how my hair is going to feel afterwards.
Second favorite! Very high, ever since finding oil shampooing I've fallen in love with washing my hair again. CO caused a lot of shedding for me, and regular S&C every day was just so drying, and if I missed a day my scalp would itch like crazy. I shower nearly every day, but can stretch hair washes to 4-5 days. :D
Scraping the bottom of the barrel. I just wanna go to bed, lol! My hair is too short to do anything protective yet, so I am sleeping with it loose on a satin pillow case.
Cheese! :cheese:

battles
November 22nd, 2011, 08:57 PM
Enthusiasm level: next to zero.

Maybe when my hair is a little longer, and not misbehaving so terribly.

jacqueline101
November 22nd, 2011, 09:33 PM
I like to pamper my hair with my daily combing monistat leave in condish and oil misting. I wash it weekly and condish. I'm into trying new hair styles and since its growing I'm setting goals for longer lengths. I'm wanting bra strap length by middle of the winter or towards the end. I'm looking forward to wearing new hair dos and buying hair toys. My routine is easy I also take vitamin and a hair skin and nail vitamin. I wear a sleep hat.

candycandace
November 22nd, 2011, 09:37 PM
I pretty much dread doing all of these. But I do enjoy putting coconut oil on my ends. It smells so good. If I want long healthy hair, I need to work for it :D.

Kristin
November 22nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
I love brushing my hair (after detangling) because, when I use a big wooden paddle brush, it really feels nice on my scalp. I also love scalp massages and probably pause and rub my head several times for 30 seconds to a few minutes throughout each day. I usually apply some type of oil to my hair on a daily basis and I enjoy the application and distribution of that process.

MonaLisa
November 23rd, 2011, 01:02 AM
I love...waiting for it to air dry after washing and deep conditioning/oiling or any other treatment/rinse.. and then waiting to see how it will turn out/look when dry!

slz
November 23rd, 2011, 01:13 AM
I have less than zero enthousiasm for any of those chores, unfortunately :/ .

krissykins
November 23rd, 2011, 01:20 AM
Styling: This doesn't really excite me. It's just one of those things that I do because I love my hair. 3/10.

Combing: This is rather pleasant. I love my Tangle Teezer and my boar bristle brush. 7/10.

Scalp massages: I hardly ever do this but it is rather pleasant. 6/10.

Oiling: Probably my favorite part of my daily routine. 8/10.

Washing: Again, doesn't excite me. I love the feeling of clean hair, though. 4/10.

Bedtime styling: Meh. 3/10.

Deep treatments: I don't like sitting around with goo on my head for any length of time, but I like how my hair reacts to these. 6/10.

Browsing etsy for new hairtoys: The best thing EVER! 10/10. :lol:

PaganPriestess
November 23rd, 2011, 01:31 AM
I don't look forward to shampooing my hair in the shower because of my Raynaud's disease plus issues with arthritic feet (I use a bath chair through most of the shampooing/rinsing process).

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis & Raynaud's. I usually only take baths so I can stay warm except for on washing hair days I shower. So I can totally relate! Arthritic hands/shoulders/wrists/elbows makes braiding & brushing an issue some days.

PaganPriestess
November 23rd, 2011, 01:38 AM
I love to style my hair & my 3yo daughter's hair. That is probably my favorite. Brushing mine is nice, but brushing my daughter's is a pain since she is tenderheaded. I oil the night before I wash, so like once a week? It doesn't take that long, but I do like the feeling of the oil in my hands. Washing right now is a pain... I am switching from commercial shampoos as soon as my shampoo bars get here in the mail, so I have been doing every clarifying treatment I can think of to try to get some of the buildup out of my hair before my bars get here. My hair feels yucky. I am really excited to do my first bar wash though! I usually sleep with my hair down (I just throw it up on the pillow), but I have started braiding on some nights before bed. I don't have many tangling issues, so the braiding doesn't really add or detract from my morning brushing. It does help immensely in detangling my daughter's hair though. She's getting a braid every night from now on. Anything to reduce the fighting/screaming/fussing while I brush her hair! LOL

Mesmerise
November 23rd, 2011, 02:59 PM

Well I rarely "style" my hair. Some days I stuff around a bit to make a bun or something and use a flexi-8, but most I just toss it into a ponytail or a looped ponytail when it's almost dry!

- combing your hair

I comb my hair after showering. It's quick and easy, so I guess I'm pretty keen on it. For all my hair woes, one thing it doesn't do much of is tangle. Even when my hair was longer, after washing and conditioning my hair, all I need to do is just run the comb through my hair and there are almost no knots (well maybe one or two...but not ones I have to work at). I use one of those hair pick thingys (we used to call them "perming combs").

- scalp massages

When I remember lol. I think I should do them more often, but after awhile I put them off or forget.

- oiling

If my hair is particularly frizzy or horrid I will put in a little coconut oil. Sometimes before bed I get the urge to slick my hair with extra oil. Not sure if it really does much or not though!

I love to wash my hair! I prefer hair washing days to non-washing days :).

Well I usually just leave it out, or do an English braid. However, sometimes I do the braid badly and it pulls...so I end up just wearing it loose anyway.

I sometimes also like doing deep treatments, and I do also look forward to my monthly (or so) henna day! I have put off my henna day this month though, because I want to henna before the summer holidays...I prefer my henna day when kids are at school and I can just laze around the house on my own.

moxamoll
November 23rd, 2011, 03:13 PM
- styling your hair for the day: I love doing different styles. My only problem is the conflict between sleeping in and time to try something new.

- combing your hair: combing, brushing, I love it all. I'd do way more of it if it wasn't so damaging.

- scalp massages: Love 'em, but somehow DBF seems to get them all in our household. LOL

- oiling: I've recently decided that my hair and oil are just not a felicitous combination. Yuck.

- getting in the shower to clean your hair: Love it. The best spread I can manage is 3 days between cleanings. Would do it everyday, twice a day if it weren't for damage and drying time!

- preparing your hair for sleep: I usually just English braid it, so no big deal, except that I get to comb it first! :p

- anything else I might have missed: I love any chance I get to try out new hair toys and spending time on LHC learning new stuff is definitely part of my routine now!

Amber_Maiden
November 23rd, 2011, 03:14 PM
- styling your hair for the day- hate it. I can never get anything to look right! :(
- combing your hair- hate it as well, used to take an hour, now it takes 10min, but still....
- scalp massages- my husband gives them to me- I like it a lot.
- oiling- neutral.
- getting in the shower to clean your hair- neutral.
- preparing your hair for sleep- neutral.

Freckled.Thing
November 25th, 2011, 11:52 AM
This seems kind of sad but I don't particularly look forward to any of these things. Maybe I'm most enthusiastic about getting my hair ready for bed but since I just do an english braid I think that might be more because I'm looking forward to sleeping. :D I would probably enjoy styling my hair if I had more time in the mornings. I usually don't do anything very interesting because I have all of about 5 minutes before I need to get to class in the morning. I do enjoy trying new styles just for fun though.

aisha.christine
November 25th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Styling: On days when my hair is cooperative, I don't mind. When my hair is being stubborn, I loathe this part of the routine. It frustrates me so much that I want to rip my hair out sometimes. :steam I don't get a high percentage of enthusiasm for styling my hair.

Combing: I really like combing/brushing my hair. It feels so nice. :)

Scalp massages: I love scalp massages, but I forget to do them most of the time.

Oiling: I hate oiling my hair. :( It's just not enjoyable to me.

Washing: Hands down, my favorite hair routine. I love the way washing my hair feels. It makes my scalp feel good, and then my hair is clean and soft. :) When my hair is clean, I am significantly happier.

Bedtime styling: Blech. I don't care for this.

Deep treatments: I don't like sitting with the DT on my hair for hours, but I like how my hair feels afterwards. :D

BlondieHepburn
November 25th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Styling: If my hair is clean and cooperative, I have a lot of fun trying out new braids and styles. But when it's even a little dirty I can't stand it and have a hard time trying to make it presentable.
Combing: I enjoy combing while I'm watching a movie or something. I also loved my BBB when I first got it, until I realized I was losing more hair that way. :(
Scalp massages: I rather like massaging my scalp with a little bit of almond and rosemary oil or the like.
Oiling: This is also something I do whilst watching movies with my husband. I figure I ought to be doing something useful while sitting there.
Getting in the shower to clean hair: Hate it. I shower as little as humanly possible. I have extraordinarily dry skin, thus am required to heavily moisturise my entire body every time. Not fun. But I often simply bend over the tub and wash only my hair. That's not as bad, although I loathe having wet hair. :shrug:
Preparing hair for sleep: I mostly leave it free, or put it in a bun or braid. It's rarely something I fret over.
Anything else: I love, love, love creating various little treats for my hair! I frequently use yogurt, honey, eggs, oils, etc. Par exemple: I just bought some coconut milk and am totally excited to use it in a concoction this weekend! :D

spidermom
November 25th, 2011, 01:11 PM
They're all chores to me.

Jing
November 25th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I don't really do this much, so I don't care either way. It's too short to put up without bobby-pinning the front bits in place or French/Dutch braiding, which takes time.

- combing your hair
Combing is enjoyable. I like detangling the tangles, and I love my horn comb.

- scalp massages
I don't do them. I think I lack the patience.

- oiling
Oiling is awesome! So soft and shiiiny... ;)

My favourite hair care thing! It makes me feel like I'm really doing something to care for my hair. I don't know why I get this feeling more from washing than from, say, oiling. Possibly because it involves more work.

I don't do this yet. I have a satin pillow case for now.

- deep treatments
Again, makes me feel like I'm being proactive, but they're kind of messy and passive. Plus, the towel wrap gets in the way of my glasses. I'd say they're like the vegetables of hair care - good for you but unenjoyable - except I love vegetables and really enjoy eating them. So that's a failed attempt at similie.

jeanniet
November 25th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Not very high. I don't mind detangling/combing/brushing, but I'd like it a lot better if my hair actually stayed detangled for more than five minutes. :D

coffinhert
November 25th, 2011, 02:49 PM
---I just style it after my shower which is once or twice a week, but I spend a long time putting it in pin curls, like up to 30 minutes to perfect it.
- combing your hair
---Now that I have a BBB, I like to sit in front of my vanity mirror and pretend I'm a princess ^_^
- scalp massages
---never
- oiling
---I love rubbing oil into my scalp and brushing it into the ends of my damp hair. It's been one of the most beneficial things for me.
---I have a really hard time making myself get in the shower, I'll put it off for days even after I know I need do wash my hair because my dermatitis is flaring up, I just can't get in! But once I'm in there, I love using my conditioners and soaps, everything smells so nice. I listen to my Pink Floyd cassette tape and time disappears.

Lostsoule77
November 25th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Depends on whether it's a workday or not. During the week I just want to get it done. Half the time I just smooth the canopy without even undoing my sleep braid and it goes up into a bun. On the weekends I love to do style my hair. Trying out new styles and all. :)

- combing your hair
I don't care either way about this. It has to be done so it us. I skip it as often as I can.

- scalp massages
I tend to only do this when I have a headache. They always feel good. I just never think about it.

- oiling
I love the way this makes my hair look & feel. I even like the process of applying it. Don't like sitting around with it on my head so much.

This is a chore to me so I am glad to only do it once a week. It triples my shower time and the drying afterwards is a pain.

This is no big deal. I just throw it into an English braid. I'm so lazy that if it was in a braided bun then I just take the bun down and go to bed. Even if that bun is made from the previous nights braid. See the styling and combing answers. :)

I love looking at different styles on youtube and here. Plus looking at different sticks on etsy and the swap board. Just wish I could do more of the styles and buy all the hair toys that I want. :D