PDA

View Full Version : for fine/thinnies: Bangs/fringe/layers or all one length?

Babyfine
November 22nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Which do you prefer?
I've been seriously thinking about cutting in bangs/fringe but I don't want to take away from my thickness as my hair grows-I do think bangs look better on me than without(I've been looking at pictures of eye-brow skimming bangs) but when my hair gets past BSL I feel I need all the hair the same length as possible to mazimize thickness. Which do you prefer(maybe this should be a poll question)
Right now I have grown out my bangs for the umpteenth time and yes it does make a difference in pony circumference.

embee
November 22nd, 2011, 05:15 PM
It is a conundrum, isn't it. :)

Personally I was *delighted* when my bangs finally grew out enough to be part of my updo. Seemed like it took about forever to get there, also. Plus, my bangs always looked oily/greasy and made me want to wash my hair more often - though I usually ended up just washing the bangs.

Although I probably look better with bangs, I need all my thickness (ha, what? ;) ) for any updo, and bangs made my updo efforts look very strange.

Perhaps you can encourage what few "baby hairs" you have at your hairline in front to act like softening, fluff them up a bit, let them be sort of frizzy? I find that works well for me now, it really does help soften the hairline.

MandyBeth
November 22nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
I have cat fine hair that is settling down post spay, so I have thinner hair than before. I have bangs as my glasses break the front hairs eventually, then it's a mess. More layers look awful, my hair goes limp.

*Aoife*
November 22nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
I have a couple of layers. Just a small amount from nose - mouth level (I'm so lazy when it comes to cutting them) and the same amount around an inch below my chin. It's a small amount of hair that I'm happy to give up from an updo since it makes my hair look better no matter how I'm wearing it.

GlennaGirl
November 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
I love having bangs. They're very versatile. They add "bulk" where I need it: the front, and near my temples.

I find that when I grow them out, even if my pony measures a hair (yar! har) thicker, when it's down it all compresses into the same slippery fine stuff anyway. :p It really doesn't *look* thicker when I grow my bangs out and I love to wear at least part of it up much of the time anyway. So why suffer with a facial look I don't like (completely bare, and a very small/narrow forehead) rather than having this little bit to play with, or skim back if I want to? Works for me!

Amber_Maiden
November 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
Personally, I won't go near bangs- but that's because I have a small/normal forehead and hate having hair in my face- it freaks me out... weird I know.

I do like layers though, my hair looks less heavy that way. :)

MsBubbles
November 22nd, 2011, 07:04 PM
Embee! You just gave me the idea to use aloe gel in the winter on those front wispies to fake some body! The aloe of course needs to stay away from the rest of my hair, lest it resemble straw.

Babyfine, I have no idea which is best. The all-one length, straight look seems best pulled off by those with cute features and great skin. I.e., not me. But layers are a big no-no for me, and if I sacrifice valuable hemline strands for 'face-framing layers', I'm left with straight strings hanging in my face and a thinner hemline.

After four years I still don't have the answer.

vanillabones
November 22nd, 2011, 07:59 PM
ALL ONE LENGTH!!!
I've always had bang and layers, it's so bad in my fine and thin thin hair! All one length for sure. Bangs will suffice if someone is self conscious of their face shape without bangs, but for me I can't wait for all of mine to grow out.

natnatsmama
November 22nd, 2011, 08:01 PM
I have a love hate relationship with bangs but when but when I cut them they go in a phase. I start with blunt bangs and as they grow I get them shaped into side swept and then when they finally reach chin length I get face framing layers. Then I start all over again!

shikara
November 22nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
I will never give up my bangs!!! I love the different ways they can look around my face - versatility - and how i can change the image i want to project. I can style them trendy, elegant, or tousled, depending on my mood. It will be a big change if yiu go for it, but you can aleays start with just a little bit and see how you feel. Good luck! If yiu cut them, start a thread and let us know!!
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_c60b3fb2.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=c60b3fb2.jpg)

holothuroidea
November 22nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
If you know you like the fringe then cut them in. I'm sure it does make a difference in pony circumference but it probably will not make a difference to an outside observer looking at your hemline. Pony circumference isn't everything. :)

As far as layers go, I like layers in fine hair only if it's wavy. I think that the more waves you have the thicker your hair looks and layers often give extra waves to fine hair. I love that wispy look though.

PrairieRose
November 22nd, 2011, 08:39 PM
I am always undecided as far a bangs go. I had them all through my childhood on into adulthood. Then I grew them out, but I am always growing and cutting! When I cut them I am usually happy for a few weeks, maybe a month and them I am trying to grow them again! Currently I have bangs and I am undecided as to what to do with them.:confused:

Babyfine
November 22nd, 2011, 08:43 PM
Babyfine, I have no idea which is best. The all-one length, straight look seems best pulled off by those with cute features and great skin. I.e., not me. But layers are a big no-no for me, and if I sacrifice valuable hemline strands for 'face-framing layers', I'm left with straight strings hanging in my face and a thinner hemline.

After four years I still don't have the answer.

Boy, that's not me, either!(cute features and great skin, that is) The all one length, straight look looks just awful on me so I'm always pulling it back in a half up or a poof. I don't have the answer, either!

Babyfine
November 22nd, 2011, 08:47 PM
Embee-that's a good idea about the aloe gel
Glenna Girl, I know exactly what you mean about the bulk-ironically I think my hair looks thicker at least in front with a blunt fringe-I'm so conflicted because I want to try to grow it all one length at least once in life, but I love having bangs.

Everyone's answers are so interesting- I wish I looked good with bangs/fringe but I don't. However, I agree with the poster who talked about them getting greasy and having to wash them more often.

Babyfine
November 22nd, 2011, 08:50 PM
If you know you like the fringe then cut them in. I'm sure it does make a difference in pony circumference but it probably will not make a difference to an outside observer looking at your hemline. Pony circumference isn't everything. :)

As far as layers go, I like layers in fine hair only if it's wavy. I think that the more waves you have the thicker your hair looks and layers often give extra waves to fine hair. I love that wispy look though.

Yeah my hair always looks thicker in the humid summers because of the waves.
I do have some long layers now-too much layering gives me very thin ends.

battles
November 22nd, 2011, 08:55 PM
I currently have bangs, layers, and face framing pieces. My hair feels pretty thin, but doesn't look it.

I'm still undecided about whether I'd like layers or not as I grow longer. I know I'd like face framing pieces, for sure.

jacqueline101
November 22nd, 2011, 09:44 PM
I have fringe and love them my hair is not overly heavy. I have pixie bangs. I have a fairly large forehead. I think anytime you cut bangs into your hair you're going to lose thickness in your hair. You have to cut your hair to have bangs. The style of fringe is your choice and to have fringe is a personal choice. You could try that hair style deal and try on different styles and see what will work. If you're like me you might like to change the style of fringe and I like to do that for a fresher look.

javagrl
November 22nd, 2011, 10:04 PM
Fine hair here too and growing my bangs out- even though I look better WITH than WITHOUT. Mine are currently at the bridge of my nose so I understand your conundrum.

Maybe a way to "fake" bangs? You can always sweep them to the side and pin with a bobby pin underneath? Section em' off and comb them straight back and up to form a pompador? Twists straight back or to the sides? Braid them? Headband? Wide cloth headbands so they cover up completely? Rockabilly barrel curl with a high pony 50" style? Sleek and straight to the side with a gel for the wet look? Sponge roll everything overnight so the different length blend together?

A-a-a-nd that's all I've got. :)

ArienEllariel
November 22nd, 2011, 10:19 PM
I've got thin bangs like Torrin Paige. Anymore and I'd be afraid my hair would look too thin. Layers look terrible in my hair.. they either hang limply or stick out in odd directions.

schweedie
November 23rd, 2011, 01:37 AM
I couldn't go without my fringe. I don't have a forehead; I have a fivehead (bordering on a sixhead, in my own opinion), and I need that fringe. The rest of my hair just has to do without it - and it's a pretty thin, whispy sideswept fringe in any case, so it's not like it eats a lot of thickness. Also, since my hair has no volume to speak of and lies flat on my scalp when I put it up, in comebination with my fivehead I feel like I'd look almost bald from the front if I didn't have that fringe to soften my face.

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 23rd, 2011, 01:41 AM
I need bangs. My forehead is too big.. xD

Jesabel
November 23rd, 2011, 01:57 AM
I have a few long layers in my BSL fine, ii hair. I also have a side fringe but it's long enough to go into my updo's with a single bobby pin to catch the shorter bits. I like my hair this way and have never wanted to have hair all one length... I fear the dreaded triangle head! Plus I love my layers :)

PorkChop
November 23rd, 2011, 02:07 AM
Ive got fine hair, and 3inch thick ponytail. And i have a full fringe, I think the rest of my hair looks fine for thickness :)

Bazinga
November 23rd, 2011, 02:45 AM
I've grown out my bangs once but just a few days ago I cut them back in because I don't like my face without bangs. I just look sick without bangs. I wish that were'nt the case because bangs mean more styling to do in the morning.

roundforest
November 23rd, 2011, 02:49 AM
I'm keeping a slight fringe and letting some of it grow out - it's reached mouth level. I don't want to give up a fringe altogether and be faced with wrinkles on my forehead all the time.

Annalouise
November 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM
I think I might look better with bangs or a fringe but I won't do it because my hair needs the maximum thickness. It is 2" at the nape of my neck.

A nice way to add interest around the face is with head bands.:)

AspenSong
November 23rd, 2011, 10:27 AM
I've had every kind of bangs imaginable...At this point, I'm growing my last set out. They're nearly shoulder length at the longest part now.
I've got a "fivehead" and probably would look better with bangs, but as my hair has gotten longer I'm more aware of how little there is of it so I'm going to try to grow my bangs into it and see how if I feel better "thickness" wise.
My want with bangs was always the same thing....those awesome, thick, blunt ones (Like Zooey Deschanel) but I just can't do it with my hair... :mad:

Babyfine
November 23rd, 2011, 01:52 PM
Schweedie and Aspensong-There was a period in history when a high forehead was greatly desired, considered a thing of beauty! In my case I have a pearish shaped face and I think the bangs balance it out better,
but like Annalouise I have 2" hair at the nape of my neck with bangs and maybe 2.5 without so I can really use the thickness the grown out bangs provide.

AspenSong
November 23rd, 2011, 09:40 PM
Schweedie and Aspensong-There was a period in history when a high forehead was greatly desired, considered a thing of beauty! In my case I have a pearish shaped face and I think the bangs balance it out better,
but like Annalouise I have 2" hair at the nape of my neck with bangs and maybe 2.5 without so I can really use the thickness the grown out bangs provide.

I wish I lived then! lol.
I actually just started thinking to myself that maybe I should have bangs as my BIL took a photo of my hubby and his grandma and I making rolls for dinner tomorrow, and I saw myself and went....Oh heavens, EW. lol. Between the chubby face, the pulled back hair and the glasses, I look like a fattened up angry librarian. :(

holothuroidea
November 23rd, 2011, 10:49 PM
I wish I lived then! lol.
I actually just started thinking to myself that maybe I should have bangs as my BIL took a photo of my hubby and his grandma and I making rolls for dinner tomorrow, and I saw myself and went....Oh heavens, EW. lol. Between the chubby face, the pulled back hair and the glasses, I look like a fattened up angry librarian. :(

You got something against librarians? :patrol:

..just kidding :D

Everyone has these moments where you see yourself and you say, "UGH is that what I really look like?" No, that is not what you really look like! Nobody looks the same in pictures. Movement and expression and personality are all nuances that make us beautiful when the cameras are off. Don't be so hard on yourself!

hototogisu
November 23rd, 2011, 11:01 PM
I think you're either a fringe person or you're not. I kept blacking out about how much I suck at fringes and getting one cut, then immediately regretting it. So my impulse is to say NO FRINGES, but I am also not a fringe person.

I also have a wimpy 7cm/2.75" ponytail, and I catch all my layers when measuring by flipping my head upside down and putting a ponytail right on top of my head then measuring. Sure, ponytail circumference might not matter to most, but my thin hair is a source of much shame for me and it matters to ME.

Related: dry shampoo is my saviour.

mz_grim
November 24th, 2011, 12:51 AM
I am not a fan of fringes as I have really oily hair and if I have a fringe I tend to break out with lots of pimples on my forehead

Babyfine
November 24th, 2011, 11:04 AM
You got something against librarians? :patrol:

..just kidding :D

Everyone has these moments where you see yourself and you say, "UGH is that what I really look like?" No, that is not what you really look like! Nobody looks the same in pictures. Movement and expression and personality are all nuances that make us beautiful when the cameras are off. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Yes I think you're right. I also saw some Christmas pictures of myself last year hair up pulled back and I thought UGH! This is when I think of cutting in a fringe.
However I have been experimenting with pulling my bangs to the side or a faux fringe, I don't have a lot of hair so it's hard, but it looks much better.

Babyfine
November 24th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I think you're either a fringe person or you're not. I kept blacking out about how much I suck at fringes and getting one cut, then immediately regretting it. So my impulse is to say NO FRINGES, but I am also not a fringe person.

I also have a wimpy 7cm/2.75" ponytail, and I catch all my layers when measuring by flipping my head upside down and putting a ponytail right on top of my head then measuring. Sure, ponytail circumference might not matter to most, but my thin hair is a source of much shame for me and it matters to ME.

Related: dry shampoo is my saviour.

Yeah, see this is an issue with me, too ,I really NEED extra thickness in my pony if my hair is going to be BSL or longer, and I agree with you about pony circumference. This is really the ONLY reason I grew out my bangs in the first place or I would have insisted on keeping them, as I like myself so much better with them, especially in updos.

Babyfine
November 24th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I am not a fan of fringes as I have really oily hair and if I have a fringe I tend to break out with lots of pimples on my forehead
I used to have issues with that too, but at my age the oil production has slowed down so it's not as much as a problem.

Babyfine
November 24th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I will never give up my bangs!!! I love the different ways they can look around my face - versatility - and how i can change the image i want to project. I can style them trendy, elegant, or tousled, depending on my mood. It will be a big change if yiu go for it, but you can aleays start with just a little bit and see how you feel. Good luck! If yiu cut them, start a thread and let us know!!
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_c60b3fb2.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=c60b3fb2.jpg)

I will-right now I'm in the 2 week rule-I'm so conflicted!!

battles
November 24th, 2011, 12:37 PM
/snip

This made me smile. So true.

Baileygirl
January 8th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I have BSL hair with bangs. I wash my hair Mondays and Fridays, but I wash my bangs daily. It solves the Greasy bang problem when the rest of your hair doesn't need it.

TammyT
January 8th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Hello, I have very fine hair and a high forehead. If I could look good without bangs, that would be fun to try but fact is, I look severe with my hair pulled back. Its not flattering. I guess you have to balance a little thicker pony tail vs what looks good if someone is looking at your face!

ktno1
January 8th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Bangs are much more flattering on me but I also really need the thickness. Usually I compromise with a very thin layer of side-swept bangs, which start eyebrown length and increase in length until they blend in with the rest of the hair. This way I'm not losing too much pony thickness and they're long enough to pin back into an updo.

Ideally I'd have no bangs at all and get all the thickness, but I really don't look attractive at all without them.

Renate
January 8th, 2012, 06:50 PM
All in one lenght!

I have a HUGE forehead, but I will NEVER ever ever ever have bangs again. I've had it my entire childhood and it was a pain to grow it long.

zombi
January 8th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Layers. I keep trying to get bangs but frankly my hair is too thin for bangs -- to have a pretty bang I like, it has to be cut SOOOOO far back.... and I don't like that. It's a hassle. But I always keep long layers. I feel my hair looks better like that.

Zefyra
January 8th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I have to have bangs in some form another. Thankfully, I look good (IMO) with both a blunt fringe and side swept bangs so I tend to alternate. I cut bangs again this last week, after having grown then to the tip of my nose. I imagine Ill repeat this cycle for the rest of my life.. Heh.
I also prefer the way I look with bangs. When its longer (APL or so) I have them start around SL. They help define my waves and keep it from being too poofy at the bottom.

KahRistAhn
January 9th, 2012, 12:24 AM
I tend to feel like I have a big forehead, so I've had some sort of bang for the past...well, quite a few years. Its also been a super long time since I didn't have layers. I'm planning to grow them of just to see.

But, I recently got bored and decided to cut myself some side swept bangs. Hoowever, now that I don't use sulfates they get soooo greasy and gross the day after washing that I end up pinning them back even though I dont like the way I look like that necessarily. I will probably see about growing them long too.

sfgirl
January 9th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Personally, I can't stand layers. Every stylist tells me they give your hair my volume, but whenever I get them I notice (obviously), the ends are thinner, and as I already have fine hair, this is an issue. A blunt cut with a side part usually is what works for me, and my hair looks thicker. :)

oktobergoud
January 9th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Bangs and layers! Somehow layers give me a bit more volume? One length will make it too heavy, I guess, and weigh it down..
And I can't live without bangs! :P

Renbirde
January 9th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Well, I'm not thin- haired, but it's pretty fine. I'm going with the all one length, no bangs option.

If I let my hair touch my face I break out, and since my hair's so fine it's an unmanageable mess shorter than waist length. I got layers in middle school (along with highlights... >< ), and they did not look all that great, made my hair harder to control (braids were spindly, spiky, and unraveled, buns were messy or impossible), and were horribly splitty when I finally got rid of them. Wasn't fun at all... It got heavy enough to be relied upon to behave around hip length. Bah.

CarpeDM
January 9th, 2012, 06:32 AM
I vote for all one length!

SlightlySoprano
January 9th, 2012, 07:06 AM
The all-one length, straight look seems best pulled off by those with cute features and great skin. I.e., not me. But layers are a big no-no for me, and if I sacrifice valuable hemline strands for 'face-framing layers', I'm left with straight strings hanging in my face and a thinner hemline.

This! Also, since my hair is wurly, I get stringy wurls. SO unattractive. If you want proof, I have pictures :p

UP Lisa
January 9th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I don't have any hope of it slowing down for me, since my Dad is 86, and still oily.:mad:

I used to have issues with that too, but at my age the oil production has slowed down so it's not as much as a problem.

UP Lisa
January 9th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Yes. This is a dilemma. After having bangs for many years i decided to grow them out, mainly because they were such a pain. I said never again would I have bangs. They were always so fine that they never stayed in place for a minute. I had to comb them constantly to get them to not look all stringy. Also, they were constantly looking greasy, so i had to wash them every day. I think I do look better with them, and have thought of having them again,, but don't know if I ever will.

I don't think they would take a whole lot away from my thickness, since I don't have a whole lot of hair on the front and sides. The main thickness is in the back.

luthien_belewen
January 9th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I have fine (but thick) hair. I think a few long layers and bangs flatter me the best.

Xawanlaya
January 9th, 2012, 09:56 AM
You should go for something that will suit the shape of your face too. I don't think you need layers in your hair since it's not straight, so I guess maybe your hair tends to look thicker than it really is. Perhaps you could find some inspiration in magazines?

Xawanlaya
January 9th, 2012, 10:02 AM
You should go for something that will suit the shape of your face too. I don't think you need layers in your hair since it's not straight, so I guess maybe your hair tends to look thicker than it really is. Perhaps you could find some inspiration in magazines?

Ohhhh. Haha, I think I confused fringe with layers, I don't know how to delete messages. Perhaps actually reading would be a good idea? lol :). Anyways, me personally short bangs don't suit me too well and I always ended up regtretting pretty fast these times I had bangs. Hmm. Yeah, decided what you think you will be fine with.

ClassicalBlonde
January 9th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I have fine (but thick) hair. I think a few long layers and bangs flatter me the best.

This is what suits me best too. The best haircut I've ever had was like this. I would have kept it but all the hairdressers in my area seem to have problems with long hair, so I decided to go all one length and get my sister to trim it for me. I find all one length to be easier to maintain and updos look much better too.