PDA

View Full Version : Time to Man the Humifier (Winter Tip)

heidi w.
November 22nd, 2011, 10:59 AM
ETA: THIS TIP IS FOR THE DEPTH OF WINTER IN FREEZING AND SNOWY WEATHER CONDITIONS. if you live in tropics and humidity, this tip is not helpful in the winter.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

My first seasonal tip of this winter season. For those of you who do not know of this yet, running a humidifier near the bedside at night can help prevent static electricity and over-dryness of the hair. It also helps with skin not becoming overly dry and chapped, perhaps; helps nose and throat dryness problems.

In the winter months we're running heaters and hanging by fires on occasion, and generally, therefore, the air is less moist, less humid. So you need to get the air a bit more humidified, with moisture.

Run the humidifier by the directions. IF you have overly hard water, avoid if you can using hard water. In my area, the water is really hard and takes out coffee machines and whatnot. So use distilled or bottled water if you can.

Your apartment or house may need more than one humidifier running. Such as in the bedroom during sleep, near the bed; and perhaps also the kitchen or other community area of the house. Kitchens tend to be pretty dry in the winter because of cooking, which really takes away the ambient moisture in the air (alongside heating the house in general).

I'm fairly certain that most of you will like this tip. It helps.

If you can't afford a humidifier, think about jars of water on radiators (make sure it's in a container that won't melt from the heat, such as plastic can); or a pool of hot water in the bottom of a tub. (Some people do this in hotel rooms, sometimes.)

I learned this tip from Lady Grace who doesn't frequent LHC overly much, but I can attest that she is a lovely lady with magnificent hair. I use this tip of hers with benefit.

I hope it helps you too.

heidi w.

Toadstool
November 22nd, 2011, 11:01 AM
Where I live, it's so damp I have to run a DEhumidifier which collects two litres of water a day!

heidi w.
November 22nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
Where I live, it's so damp I have to run a DEhumidifier which collects two litres of water a day!

In winter? This tip is intended for those who live in freezing weather conditions and snow in winter.

If you live in the tropics, this tip is of no help to you.

In the summer I have to run a dehumidifier in my basement, it gets pretty wet down there otherwise, and it can mould in time.

heidi w.

moxamoll
November 22nd, 2011, 11:11 AM
Maybe this is just in our area of the world, but we have humidifiers that are built onto the furnace! Some work better than others, but the idea is that the heated, humidified air is circulated throughout the house. It gets so dry here that I sometimes run an extra one in the bedroom anyway!

heidi w.
November 22nd, 2011, 11:20 AM
Yes, furnace systems can now be built with a humidifer unit attached in some way. Kind of like A/C units can also be built attached to a house's furnace system. Where I live, most homes do not have these features as it's very expensive to install. I just recently installed a new furnace system, and on my income, that was a boatload of money, despite the discounts available to me and the tax break on next year's taxes that I'll receive.

heidi w.

Amber_Maiden
November 22nd, 2011, 11:44 AM
I'll definitely do the bath tub trick! :)

Piyo
November 22nd, 2011, 12:31 PM
My hair and skin get SO dry in the winter. I will definitely have to get a humidifier this year. Thanks for the tips. :)

ktani
November 22nd, 2011, 01:02 PM
Yes, great idea. - bolding mine

http://www.electricitycentral.com/articles/staticsparks.htm
"The sparking problem is usually found in low-humidity locations, such as in air-conditioned office buildings. High humidity prevents the charge-separation which causes sparks. Raising the humidity in the environment stops the sparking. High humidity makes the surfaces of shoes and rugs slightly conductive, so the separated charges can instantly flow back together. Usually all of the "static electricity" will vanish when the RH is above 60%. If you live in a single house or apartment, use a room humidifier. Or just boil away a few quarts of water on your kitchen stove.

Or, if we spray the floor with antistatic liquid, this can do the same thing as raising the humidity. Antistatic liquids aren't magical, they simply make surfaces slightly conductive so the charge-separation cannot occur. Make your own antistatic spray by mixing a teaspoon of liquid fabric-softener into a quart of water."

ETA: and
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy00/phy00286.htm
"If charge collects on a poor conductor, it cannot move. As a result, you get static electricity. When your hand comes in contact with it, a route of escape is provided. The charge spreads out through your skin and your body. This is the shock you feel.

Water is one of the best electrical conductors in existence. When there is some moisture in the air, electric charge can enter the water droplets floating in the air. ... The more humid the air, the greater the opportunity to leave the original surface."

pinupdancer
November 22nd, 2011, 01:02 PM
One of my oldest friends has always kept bowls of water in her room during the winter and she has beautiful hair. Now I know why. lol Thank you for this tip! I've been wanting to get a humidifier for general dryness but this just makes me want one even more.

Toadstool
November 22nd, 2011, 02:26 PM
In winter? This tip is intended for those who live in freezing weather conditions and snow in winter.

If you live in the tropics, this tip is of no help to you.

In the summer I have to run a dehumidifier in my basement, it gets pretty wet down there otherwise, and it can mould in time.

heidi w.

Winter and Summer. I live in the UK. It's generally damp.

katienoonan
November 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM

Oooh, I live in the NW UK and my house gets terribly dry in the winter... We have the heating on almost constantly so I always dunk a towel in a full sink then let it 'dry' on a radiator in my room..

EleanorD
November 22nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
Oooh, I live in the NW UK and my house gets terribly dry in the winter... We have the heating on almost constantly so I always dunk a towel in a full sink then let it 'dry' on a radiator in my room..

I'm in the UK too, down in Brighton, and I've just had to buy a powerful dehumidifier due to insane mould/damp/condensation issues! (it takes out 2litres of water a day!). I hadn't thought about what it'll do to my poor hair :? Maybe I'll have to slightly re-humidify...

Monkey962
November 22nd, 2011, 02:57 PM
I'll definitely do the bath tub trick! :)

I think I have been doing that to some extent already. When I shower, I usually prop open the window a bit to let the steam out (to prevent the wallpaper from peeling further, ugh). Lately I've just been keeping the window closed and letting the steamy air out through he bathroom door.

Could it work to just leave the bathroom door open? Luckily I have this floor all to myself.

ktani
November 22nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
When I used to take steamy showers and open the door to let the steam out, I discovered that it also had the ability to peel paint, especially on ceilings lol.
That is a bothersome side effect, lol.

I take cooler showers now - just warm.

UltraBella
November 22nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
I have a humidifier built into my heating system and it is awesome ! It is attached to my water heater and furnace, so I don't have to do a darn thing to it except set my humidity level and have it serviced once a year. Love it with a fiery passion ;)

FrozenBritannia
November 22nd, 2011, 04:01 PM
I have a humidifier.. It goes through over a gallon of water a night, and twice that during the day. I also have a kettle which heats up on the stove and I boil it a few times a day, and sometimes when it's really cold out I'll boil a big pot of water with a cinnamon stick in it on the stove for an hour or so..

Vanilla
November 22nd, 2011, 06:48 PM
I have a problem with getting too much humidity in my bedroom with a humidifier.

Above 50%, dust mites flourish and my allergies go crazy. I can't seem to go below that magic percentage with a humidifier, so I often forego it in the wintertime.

We have forced air, which dries out the air even more. Maybe I will try the bathtub trick.

WaterMusic
November 22nd, 2011, 06:52 PM
Maybe this is just in our area of the world, but we have humidifiers that are built onto the furnace! Some work better than others, but the idea is that the heated, humidified air is circulated throughout the house. It gets so dry here that I sometimes run an extra one in the bedroom anyway!

Really? I grew up in South-Central Alberta and I've never heard of a humidifier built into the furnace. I can definitely see how it would be useful though!

I wish I could run a humidifier, but my SO has a lot of breathing problems and finds that humid air aggravates them. I am reluctant to admit that his lungs are more important than my hair, but such is life. ;)

Fairlight63
November 22nd, 2011, 08:05 PM
I don't have a humidifier. But I do have a vaporizer so I was wondering if a vaporizer would do the same thing?

naturegirl321
November 23rd, 2011, 05:02 AM
Or wet a towel. Stick it on the floor. Turn the floor heater on. Or put up clothes to dry inside.

Shanbot
November 23rd, 2011, 07:27 AM
Where I live it is pretty humid year round - as evidenced by our buildings being full of peely paint and black mold (eww). Long warm showers to take off the chill of these cool weather rainstorms make me happy....I can certainly attest to the hot bath water or boiling water on the stove tricks (or just a cup of hot tea stuck up to my nose, mmmm) but a humidifier running all day would probably be a health hazard for us in the long run.

But I can definitely tell when its winter because my hands spark every time I touch the car door or any door at work. It's horrible! Since it happens every time its not even a shock (well, except for being an electric shock :D)...anyone else dread touching doors during this season? Anyone else do a funky elbow dance to avoid touching things with their hands? Just me? :p

marzipanthecat
November 23rd, 2011, 08:09 AM

Yup. I'm up on Dartmoor and dampness is a permanent problem in the house.

(Nice for my hair, I suppose - I have to look for some positives!)

heidi w.
November 23rd, 2011, 08:53 AM
One of my oldest friends has always kept bowls of water in her room during the winter and she has beautiful hair. Now I know why. lol Thank you for this tip! I've been wanting to get a humidifier for general dryness but this just makes me want one even more.

Well, if you want a fun and kind of fancy humidifier other than what your local drugstore might provide, check this out. In the shape of an animal!

http://www.athomemedical.com/Cool-Mist-Humidifiers/Crane-Animal-Shapes-Humidifier.asp

heidi w.

heidi w.
November 23rd, 2011, 08:55 AM
I think I have been doing that to some extent already. When I shower, I usually prop open the window a bit to let the steam out (to prevent the wallpaper from peeling further, ugh). Lately I've just been keeping the window closed and letting the steamy air out through he bathroom door.

Could it work to just leave the bathroom door open? Luckily I have this floor all to myself.

It works temporarily. It may not help a whole lot during the nighttime, which is on average around 8 hours long. That little bit of steam won't make a huge difference later in the day, I'm guessing.

heidi w.

heidi w.
November 23rd, 2011, 08:57 AM
I have a humidifier.. It goes through over a gallon of water a night, and twice that during the day. I also have a kettle which heats up on the stove and I boil it a few times a day, and sometimes when it's really cold out I'll boil a big pot of water with a cinnamon stick in it on the stove for an hour or so..

Most humidifiers that are temporary fixtures have two settings: low and high. In the deep winter, I set it on high and it nearly empties the tank by morning, but most times I can get away with the lower setting and not use near as much water. I like the idea of boiling water on the stove and aromasizing the house with a cinnamon stick. The stick can be used multiple times, too.

heidi w.

heidi w.
November 23rd, 2011, 09:04 AM
I don't have a humidifier. But I do have a vaporizer so I was wondering if a vaporizer would do the same thing?

Based on my read of the internet, the answer is that a Vaporizer can work.

http://www.ivillage.com/cool-mist-humidifier-or-steam-vaporizer/6-n-145210

One thing this article brings up is that cool-mist humidifiers can increase mould problems somehow and aggravate lung conditiions. AND of course, I have a humidifier that dispenses steamed water that is hot, and it has the potential to burn someone's skin if too close such as sticking one's face in it. So caution with these devices has to be exercised around kids. I was not aware of the aggravations that hard water can pose from minerals. That was interesting to learn. So use bottled or distilled water in your unit. For most it works and it's only a number of months that it's necessary. I have traveled with my humidifier and slept in rooms with other people and they claim that they notice the difference too, in terms of less problems with dry nose and possible bleeding nose and dry throat and skin (a friend of mine had terrible psoriasis in the winter because she uses bar soap and has really hard water at her house).

heidi w.

heidi w.
November 23rd, 2011, 09:10 AM
Or wet a towel. Stick it on the floor. Turn the floor heater on. Or put up clothes to dry inside.

As long as the floor is not wood.... you'll ruin the wood or the varnish on the wood with wetness from a towel sitting on the floor. I once ruined a beautiful wood floor by putting wet stuff on the wooden floor. I just didn't know, and I felt bad about it for a long time because I didn't have the bucks to fix it. I did at my grandmother's house. Le Ooops. That's the kind of stuff kids do. They just don't know.

Also, I did mention for those with radiators, you can put jars of water on top of the radiator during the night.

Do folks know that you can measure the humidity indoors?

Here's an interesting article about indoor humidity and how to measure it accurately for free. You can also buy various types of measuring devices. I've seen the costs range from $20 - $130. So do your homework before you buy.

http://www.submityourarticle.com/articles/Jon-Dacken-4843/relative-humidity-46494.php

heidi w.

ktani
November 23rd, 2011, 09:14 AM
My 90 year old mother CANNOT be without a humidifyer in her small retirement home apartment. When the air there was too dry she had torrential nosebleeds as did a few other residents, although they did not have them as bad. 3 hospital visits later plus a hospital stay because she lost too much blood, and the humidifyer has to be kept going 24/7 during the time of year full heat is on, doctor's orders.

heidi w.
November 23rd, 2011, 09:15 AM
For those who may not understand humidity, there's a bit on it under Wikipedia. I'll link it here if it proves useful.

Article from USA Today
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/whumdef.htm

Wikipedia on Humidity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidity

On relative humidity and being outdoors
http://science.howstuffworks.com/dictionary/meteorological-terms/question651.htm

Happy Reading!
heidi w.

heidi w.
November 23rd, 2011, 09:18 AM
My 90 year old mother CANNOT be without a humidifyer in her small retirement home apartment. When the air there was too dry she had torrential nosebleeds as did a few other residents, although they did not have them as bad. 3 hospital visits later plus a hospital stay because she lost too much blood, and the humidifyer has to be kept going 24/7 during the time of year full heat is on, doctor's orders.

I have a friend who owns a powder coating shop (powder coating is a mechanism for applying a kind of paint coating in the form of powder to heated metal that is cleaned, so it heats the flat above him fairly well. He has a large enough oven that a small car can fit in it.) which is all about heat. He lives above his shop, and during winter, he runs several humidifiers in his flat above: his bedroom, the kitchen.

The thing is that these units MUST be cleaned properly and well before putting up for spring/summer. IF running year round, they require probably around a monthly cleaning. IF one is using hard water, those minerals can build around the internal parts and in little portable units, everything can be taken apart and cleaned. For cleaning, I use baking soda to get the buildup off, maybe some vinegar if needed, and soap and water. Then I dry it out really, really well.

The other part of cleaning is that if you use it, it needs swiping down because dust can build up on the unit. I put my unit in an aluminum baking pan in case there's any leaking because I have wooden floors in my house. A little bit of caution. So far, it never leaked.

heidi w.

tigereye
November 23rd, 2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the tip heidi.
I have a problem in that (I live in scotland) when i head home i need to run a dehumidifier in my wardrobe to keep damp mould at bay and prevent it wrecking my clothes. It's not just my room either. We have damp problems in my parents wardrobe, and it's incredibly bad in the attic. It's only in the part of the house that is the extension . The dehumidifier works wonders for the mould, but it's playing havoc with my hair and skin. I keep the window open a crack, and keep a bowl of water under the light and heat of the bedside lamp, plus one on the radiator, which is on the lowest setting. Loads of blankets keep me warm, whilst there is no heating to dry out my hair and skin.