PDA

View Full Version : How to remove shea butter

kackicka
November 22nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
I´m in desperate need of your help, I put some shea butter in my hair and it wont get out :wail:
I get this waxy feeling when it´s wet and every thing it touches gets waxy I´M LOSING IT PLEAS HELP!!!!

PeachyWavy
November 22nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Have you tried CO washing? Usually gets out most things for me! :)

chou
November 22nd, 2011, 11:04 AM
It might take a couple of tries but CO washing has worked better for me than shampoo for shea butter build up.
I often get shea build up from the combination of products I use. After getting most of it out though, my hair is so so soft!

SpinDance
November 22nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
I'll second the CO washing. Try diluting the conditioner you use on your head to help it work through, and do it twice. That said, when I used Suave Naturals Lavender & Lilac conditioner it left me with a sort of waxy feeling on my hair. None of the other Suave Naturals has done this, and I've used most of them by now!

Come to think of it, did you use 100% shea butter, or some of the blends that are actually mostly mineral oil or some sort of other stuff? If so, you may need to clarify then do a deep moisture treatment.

heidi w.
November 22nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
If the avove tips don't work, you may have to clarify somehow. Be SURE to condition the hair after clarifying the hair, in the same hair wash, though.

How much did you slather on and for what purpose?

heidi w.

LocustSpawning
November 22nd, 2011, 11:20 AM
To get stuff out of my hair I CO wash with an extreeeeemely cheap (doesn't smell that nice :p) cone free conditioner, supermarket own brand. Use a tonne of the stuff but it always works and it's okay to use so much because it's so cheap.

krissykins
November 22nd, 2011, 11:39 AM
Drench your hair in really cheap cone-free conditioner then gently massage it in. Leave on for at least 20 minutes, maybe even more. Rinse VERY thoroughly. It may take more than one try because shea butter is very stubborn, but it will get out eventually.

:grouphug:

For future reference, I recommend diluting your shea butter by mixing it with another oil (coconut, olive, jojoba, etc.) if you want to continue using it. That makes it MUCH easier to remove.

Amber_Maiden
November 22nd, 2011, 11:43 AM
Clarify, ACV, then heavy CO.

Sundial
November 22nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
I always have the same problem with Shea too (when will I learn?? :rolleyes:). CO didn't work for me though I like using it to remove EVOO. I find that I need to clarify with a shampoo to get it out, and even then it takes about 2 washes.

Maktub
November 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Use quite warm water, because shea butter solidifies when cold and this makes it harder to get out !

I'd try lots of Co (leave it on a little while) + warm water

or

Warm olive oil (will dilute the shea), massaged in hair as a treatment. Then shampoo, followed by a good co !