PDA

View Full Version : Is it really worth it to grow out??

chrystalevonne
November 22nd, 2011, 10:28 AM
Hi everyone, i am new to this community. I had long hair my whole life until about 10 years ago. I chopped off above shoulder and continuously dyed/permed/flat ironed over and over again. My hair is in pretty bad shape, i don't get many split ends, my hair just breaks right off!!

So I am wanting my long hair back. I've vowed to not color, perm, and almost completely eliminate flat irons and blow dryers, as well as take better care and baby my hair to achieve this.

Problem is.... i have tried this in the past and once it gets to an awkward stage right below my shoulders I give up and get another cut or perm or something because i can not stand the in between stage. So IS IT REALLY WORTH IT TO WAIT IT OUT AND GROW LONG AGAIN??? I see some of you that post about wanting to cut, and i can totally relate. I am just needing some words of encouragement to give me hope that I am really working toward something I will want to keep and not just wind up wanting to cut after several years of hard work.

I have started using 2% miconazole diluted with water a few times a week. CO wash most of the time. And I limit the amount of times i do that a week (about every other day). Do you all have any advice on what worked for you to grow out and stick it out? How to deal with the awkward stages and total boredom of it all? Any secret tips to growing fast would be great too.

My hair: naturally board straight, fine and i have a lot of it. Color is dark strawberry blonde naturally. I am averaging about 3/4" growth per month up until now. I am hoping miconazole with help to get more growth. I have had a perm in the last year (i think there is about 4 inches left on my head right now) Also in the last year i've used demi perm color probably 3 times and a few blonde highlights around face. I measured yesterday and i am at 15" from my forehead to where it hits my neck in the back. I'm not flat ironing what is left from the perm anymore, just wearing the ends kinda wavy and using leave in conditioner.

Thank you and God Bless!!
(i am going to put my avatar with my current hair pic)

jesis
November 22nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
If your hair is naturally straight, I would definitely give up the flat irons. There's no need to use them if you already have perfectly straight hair.

Whether or not it's worth it to grow out your hair is totally up to you. You have to be really dedicated. In the last year my hair has only grown 3". You have to be patient and really figure out what's best for you hair!

Good luck!

holothuroidea
November 22nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
I agree that it's really up to you. Do you feel like you're just going through a rough patch or do you generally not like your hair. Really, if you don't like it now having more of it probably isn't going to make you happy.

My advice would be to really learn to love your hair just the way it is, with no products and no flat iron and no hair toys. If you can love your hair like that, then yes it is worth it to grow it out!

Amber_Maiden
November 22nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
I agree with jesis. You really have to be dedicated to growing your hair long, and no one can keep you motivated all of the time except yourself. If this is what you want, do it. Sounds like you are on the right path to healthy hair by giving up heat styling, etc.

chrystalevonne
November 22nd, 2011, 10:49 AM
thanks yall. i don't know why i mess with my hair. it's not that i don't like it when i make a change.... it just seems like i decide to cut or perm just so i can have something different.... ya know? grass is always greener on the other side thing. I am dedicated this time to grow it out. I miss it long and always got so many compliments. And it was easier to not have to style it every single day. I know it takes care to keep it healthy but i like being able to throw in a bun or pony and forget about it. That is really much more my lifestyle now. Am i the only one that has problems dealing with an awkward stage from say right below shoulders to arm pit length?? that is just weird for me in between for some reason. i think the way it lays on my back or bunches in my neck is the weirdest part. lol, i know i am weird....

moxamoll
November 22nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
Well, if that's the "awkward stage" for you, its long enough to put up in some styles. I'd think about just putting it up most of the time, until it gets long enough to hang correctly in your eyes.

jesis
November 22nd, 2011, 10:59 AM
I see a lot of girls who have trouble going through the awkward chin/shoulder length stages. There's even a thread about it around here somewhere! Since you live in the Midwest, and it gets so cold here, I would recommend investing in some cute hats that you can accessorize with if that's an option for you to help you get through the cold winter months. French braiding will help you protect your ends, too, and it can really be done at any length.

:)

RedheadMistress
November 22nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
- I'm at a similar stage as you (need to update my photos, cut my hair and dyed it black and turqoise) and use MN too and CO heh, but I think it's worth growing out .

Now that it's at an awkward stage I just do a lot of braids and play around with it, just did my first crown braid, did a little french braid style crown thing that goes around my head and secured with a bobby pin . Just experiment and have fun !

holothuroidea
November 22nd, 2011, 11:26 AM
You're definitely not weird!

I never went through an awkward stage at that length, but that length for my hair is very much a bun-it-and-forget-it length. If your hair is on the thicker side I could see how it would be difficult.

It seems to me that you're in this for the long haul. It will be worth it for you. Treat yourself to a hair toy and enjoy the ride. :)

Kaelee
November 22nd, 2011, 11:29 AM
For that "awkward stage" you described try some long layers, that's what I did. I have the same hairtype as you do, stick straight. It's now just about solidly APL. :)

Lilli
November 22nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
I never got past that awkward length for a long time - I'd always cave and cut it - but this time, I powered through and am APL. It is totally worth it. You just gotta stop obsessing over how it looks at that length and ignore it - updos and ponytails help.

heidi w.
November 22nd, 2011, 11:39 AM
I went to personal psychotherapy counseling for a while in my younger years, and my therapist taught me to make decisions based on how I'd feel inside of me if I did X or how I'd feel if I didn't do X.

I can't tell you it's worth it. It's a personal choice. Some do grow longer and don't like it. Some do. It's a personal decision. I can't decide for you.

Truth be told, at my length, I wear my hair up most of the time. That's how I maintain its supposed beauty and the health. For example I had a trim about 3-4 months ago now, I think; and it still is looking good at the hemline (photo shown in Hair Album on LHC, if you'd like to see it).

You apparently have fairly straight hair. I would recommend that you get prepared for some hair being in your face and how to handle that length, especially if you're growing out any bangs. Solutions range from side parts to the use of headbands. I worked with pins and clips to clip the hair hanging in my face back, a spritz of hairspray, and at a certain point wore a ton of headbands.

It's been a long time since I've had hair hangin' in my face, as this growth now represents perhaps 20 years of duration. My hair has been closer to my ankles in length, but it doesn't look very good, as beyond knee length the length begins to whisp a bit, and look a bit tattered. The length it is now, around knee length, a tad longer, is where it looks its best.

There's no way to get to longer length unless you generally don't cut it, and work through the annoying stage of hair in the wrong place, and find adequate solutions. You could even consider steam roller to curl hair, if your hair takes curl. Mine is straight and it doesn't curl. If it does, it's more like a bend, and the slightest puff of wind will take the curl/bend out of my hair.

Just some quick ideas. So here's a summary list:

side part to gather up shorter lengths in front and get it a part of longer hair, and pull to the side and clip/pin.
Headbands
clips/pins, pinning lengths back that otherwise can't fit into an updo.
a bit of styling mousse or spritz of hair spray can be helpful too

Good Luck on your Journey,
heidi w.

spidermom
November 22nd, 2011, 11:44 AM
I was too impulsive to leave my hair alone and let it grow until I was in my 40s. Now I wonder why I waited so long. I do get annoyed with my hair from time to time, but in general - I love it long more than I've loved it any other way. It is totally worth the time I put into growing it and taking care of it.

lapushka
November 22nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
Only you can decide what it is you really want. You had long hair, so you know what it's like, at least. I figure it's worth it, if only to get your hair in better shape.

If it makes you feel any better, everyone of us has had to go through these awkward stages, and yes it's horrible. You want to change it up. You want to cut it, color it, perm it, what have you. It sounds, though, as if you have a fixed routine in place already. I'd stick to it and try and come up with ways to wear your hair so it bothers you less. Some posters above have already provided you with some great tips (headbands for instance).

chrystalevonne
November 22nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
thanks heidi! great info and tips! ... and nope my hair does not hold a curl at all. that's why i have permed it in the past. when it was at my waist if i tried to curl it was straight before i hit the door, i always thought it was just too heavy, who knows...

heidi w.
November 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
thanks heidi! great info and tips! ... and nope my hair does not hold a curl at all. that's why i have permed it in the past. when it was at my waist if i tried to curl it was straight before i hit the door, i always thought it was just too heavy, who knows...

Some people just have no body in the hair whatsoever. That's my hair. It takes hours to curl my hair, and then it stays in max around an hour, give or take. All the effort just isn't worth it in that case. Hours and hours for one hour or less? No thanks.

Good luck on your journey,
heidi w.

jacqueline101
November 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
All hair has awkward stages. Mine is there now and it does help to wear your up as the saying goes out of sight out of mind. I think it helps to set goals like collar length then when reached buy your self a hair toy. Then set goals until you reach your ultimate goal. Have you picked out a hair routine? That helps me a steady routine.

chrystalevonne
November 22nd, 2011, 01:22 PM
well, what exactly do you mean by hair routine? like a daily/weekly care routine or something else? sorry, i'm new here if this sounds ridiculous, lol.

holothuroidea
November 22nd, 2011, 02:04 PM
well, what exactly do you mean by hair routine? like a daily/weekly care routine or something else? sorry, i'm new here if this sounds ridiculous, lol.

I think most people mean a washing and conditioning routine. Basically, what you do to keep your hair and scalp clean and then what you do to keep them in good condition. I would say that this includes detangling and drying but not styling. Although the way you style your hair could affect your routine, especially if you use heat and products.

~Jenny^-^~
November 22nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
It sounds like we have a lot in common chrystalevonne!! My hair hardly gets any split ends yet I have a lot of fly-aways from hairs that just broke. Also I cut my hair to chin length just September of 2010, and about 2 months ago I was at the awkward stage. But do you know what comes just after that stage? The satisfaction stage!! :) I still have about 2 more inches to go to APL but I am so happy right now because I feel as if I've won a great battle! Haha, however if your hair ever feels like its poking you at this stage try a ponytail, maybe with accent braids. It will show off your brilliant triumph yet get it outta your face. Hope this helps! :)

Intransigentia
November 22nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
I think we are hair twins! I can't tell you if it will be worth it for you, but I can tell you it was totally worth it for me. Here's what to expect if we really are hair twins:

Until armpit-length or so, it will be awkward. Too short to do much with, but doesn't really sit right. By armpit-length, you'll have a few styling options that feel reasonably versatile - cinnamon buns and french twists will work pretty reliably.

Then there will be another awkward stage, where the way you are used to doing your french twists and cinnamon buns doesn't work the way it used to, and if you twist them differently and secure them differently you can get them to work again, but every half inch or so, you have to relearn or else you get ends sticking out funny places or uneven weight distribution or broken hairtoys.

Past bra-strap length, I've found it smooth sailing, and the longer it gets the easier it is to get it to look good, either up or down. And the variety of different upstyles increases the longer it gets too.

I'm totally guessing right now*, but I suspect that to get to the smooth sailing land of BSL+, you're looking at a year and a half minimum, and longer to grow off the part that is damaged and breaking. The question I'd ask myself is, can I handle that duration of awkward lengths.

*I'm assuming that you need another 12" of hair and your growth rate remains constant. You may not need that much more hair, but your growth rate may vary down as well as up.

chrystalevonne
November 23rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
wow! thanks everyone, great info!! i really dont have a set routine. I have just started using mn a few times a week and i always just wait as long as i can to wash, usually every 3 days. instead of normal shampoo and conditioner i am doing the conditioner only method. maybe every other time i'll do a shampoo then a deep masque conditioner after that. just playing it by ear depending on how my hair feels. i am using a leave in conditioner when my hair is down. I am also doing scalp massages as much as possible, even got one of those whisk looking scalp massagers! (which felt very good/weird the first few times i used it, now it just feels like nothing special...bummer, lol) I use a product called do gro i think. its a stimulating scalp oil. i'll usually oil my hair pretty good before my co or reg shampoo/condition. Has this confused anyone? I just go day by day and do what i can to give my hair what it needs. Am i overdoing all this? probably, but my personality is a little ocd when it comes to stuff, lol. Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and tips! I am really loving this place!!:poot:

naturegirl321
November 24th, 2011, 02:15 AM
I think it's worth it if you take care of it and it's healthy

Diamond.Eyes
November 24th, 2011, 12:51 PM
You really have to want to grow your hair out. I'm not going to lie, it does take a long time. My hair used to be at a strange length between my chin and shoulders and dyed black, and it has taken about three and a half years to get to where it currently is; waist-length virgin hair. I was motivated to grow mine out because I was excited to see my natural hair color again, and I thought of how rewarding it would be to take good care of my hair and have it grow immensely in return. :) You can do it! Once it's long enough you can put it in ponytails and then eventually braid it! :flower:

princessp
November 24th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I'm at an awkward stage too and my hair is at tailbone. Point is I've had a few awkward stages along the way--- this really takes some dedication. I would guess 90% of us here are going to say yes it's worth it (because we are here on a long hair forum growing our hair). It is not the only way though. Hair can be very pretty long, short, and in between. You've got to really want to do this to get through some of those awkward stages and only you know the answer to that question. You could always just work on the health of your hair if growing it seems like too much. Good luck.