PDA

View Full Version : trim damaged ends now, or wait until spring?

pixistixx
November 22nd, 2011, 05:13 AM
right now my hair is just below collar bone length... the ends have been tangly since I started growing, but no split ends to be seen. In the past couple months I've been using shampoo bars, shedding like crazy, and in the last 2 weeks I now have splits all over the back of my head. the last 1/4 of my hair feels like velcro and clarifying/ oiling. etc haven't helped at all. I also started using Tate's family conditioner a couple of weeks ago, and thinking that may have contributed to the splits as well... it did cause terrible excema all over my face, and seemed to dry my skin and hair.. (not to mention the stuff smells like chemicals.. can you say not disclosing actual ingredients? just fruits and leaves my a** lol!)

so my actual question is, should I trim now, or wait until coat and sweater weather is over for the trim. It should be known that I do not/ will not wear my hair up in public.. I get so many comments on how bad it looks that I am self conscious and refuse to do it.. so I will probably be getting my ends a bit more roughed up through the winter anyway... so would it be pointless to trim, or should I get a trim now and just a slight dusting in the spring?

Amber_Maiden
November 22nd, 2011, 05:29 AM
If I were you I'd trim and dust in the spring. I've been there.

Pierre
November 22nd, 2011, 06:19 AM
I'd trim it now. When I get tangly ends, I cut them off right then.

kathl33nhanlon
November 28th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I would say, if you notice breakage, cut now. It will only keep breaking and the damage will travel up the hair shaft. If its not breaking, it should be fine to wait.

Madora
November 29th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Trim now. If you decide to wait, the damage will only get worse, especially with the onset of cold weather.

Gothchiq
November 29th, 2011, 07:25 AM
If it was me, and I was seeing all those splits, I would do it now.

xoxo
gothchiq

jojo
November 29th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Clarify first and then evaluate if it feels better, leave it be but if its the same a small trim may be needed.

janeytilllie
November 29th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I would personally do a small trim. If you can see splits and breakage it's best to trim them before they get worse.

spidermom
November 29th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I'd do a small trim, too; splits travel upward. I'd also ditch the shampoo bars and find something a bit more acid pH. Most shampoos are pH balanced, and there are some very mild formulas available, plus you can always dilute them.

Mina17
November 29th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I'd give up the shampoo bars too. It doesn't sound like they're working for you. I agree with clarifying and trimming the splits now before they get worse.

Johannah
November 29th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I'd do a small trim now, too, if I was you. Before they get worse.

PixxieStix
November 29th, 2011, 11:35 AM
What everyone else said, trim now to prevent further damage, baby your hair and hope for a good growth spurt over winter! Dust in spring. =)

Anje
November 29th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Just curious -- have you done a moisture treatment yet, preferably without any proteins? Mine got really velcro-y a while back, and protein overload was the culprit. Furthermore, trimming didn't fix it. I'd suggest clarifying, switching your protein status (try proteins if you've avoided them/avoid them and moisturize if you've been using them), and moisturizing the heck out of your hair for a week. Sometimes that's enough to fix the problem.

If that doesn't fix it, definitely trim. You don't want to put up with ratty unmanageable hair all winter.

jacqueline101
November 29th, 2011, 12:25 PM
A good trim might be what your hair needs.

uptosomeone
November 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I would trim right now. I was doing the no-trims-til-its-longer thing for a few months, but it only started really growing once I gave in and cut off the damage!

IubireaDraga
November 29th, 2011, 01:32 PM
My ends are also breaking now. Gaah I hate the cold weather! funny how my ends always break during this season. Getting a trim this weekend.. =/

tori93
November 29th, 2011, 02:28 PM
If i were you i'd trim them now.

my hair is also just past collarbone length and recently my ends were feeling tangled and rough and i just trimmed off 1cm to see if it would help and my ends feel perfect now! :D they aren't tangly and seem thicker after just cutting off 1cm.

so i would trim now, the split ends may also get worse if you leave them and honestly cutting off such a small amount is not noticable and makes your hair feel so much healthier. It will grow back within a month too.

MungoMania
November 29th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I know how you feel. I just did a trim last week and don't regret it. Harsh winter weather and heavy clothing rubbing up against damaged hair just make bad situations worse. Cast my vote for trimming it now, It may be better, healthier and much longer by spring if you do.

pixistixx
November 29th, 2011, 02:53 PM
clarifying just makes my ends worse..... I've been using neutrogena anti residue for the clarifying, and none of my conditioner has proteins. I use 365 organic citrus and desert essence organics coconut. The shampoo bars were nice because it made my thin hair appear slightly less so, but I'm going back to CO anyway. There's not that many splits in the back where it feels the worst, but a trim will have to wait anyway as I need to save every penny for my car service this month.

jesis
November 29th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I would definitely S&D if you can. Or try to self trim just a little bit. If you wait, the wool in your coats/scarves could rub up against your ends and cause them to break even more. Even if you don't wear anything with wool or other grabby materials in it, the cold weather could seriously damage your hair. Do whatever you can now so you don't end up with a disaster later.

blondie9912
November 29th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I agree with trimming right away :)