PDA

View Full Version : Searching for updo that starts with two sections....

CinnamonCurls
November 22nd, 2011, 01:31 AM
Hey my fellow gorgeous long hairs!

I have been going crazy trying to think/develop updos that separate the hair into two SEPERATE masses. For pitiful example: (but doesn't fit what I am looking for)
- Pig tails
- Princess Leia buns
These two examples are just not a style I can pull off or depend on all that much, piggies work good for oiling or sleeping....does anyone think there will be a Princess Leia bun revival soon!?!?! =)

I am hoping that there can be a wealth of support here for the girl who shared with you all her many years loved 'Vortex Bun', so here is what I am trying to find ideally:

- does NOT use hair ties, elastics, etc....unless to tie off a braid end. Can use them if they can be loose, like if you sprinted from the store exit in the pouring rain to your car, all the bouncing and jouncing would have left hair tie in some puddle in the parking lot, or mere centimeters from falling from your hair.
******At this point though I am so desperate for 50/50 do's that I'll gladly try something that needs a snug hair elastic start.

- does not use an overwhelming number of pins, like the 40+ needed for a barely secure enough Vortex. I have gotten Sooo spoiled with my one fork, one Ficcare, Quattro or other updo's that can be secured so minimally.

- would prefer updo's that keep each beginning section of hair on it's particular part of the head. Although I absolutely would love to learn the massive fancy styles where you keep exchanging or layering the sections in elaborate bun swirling techniques, I need something simple....for now. But do supply me with those fancy-shmancy ones for later pretty please!!!

- I do not care if it's parted down the middle, ear to ear like a half-up, or diagonal.

Braids, buns, Nautilus, etc....I don't care, just looking for something besides pigtails (I switched to an aerial performer after retiring from my pro ballet career, and you can only image what a mess TWO (or even just a single one not secured correctly!!) braids would be getting in the way upside down when I am training on the silks, or trapeze/Lyra. It is hard enough to keep track of which silk is where, I so do not need two, 3 foot long braids dangling in the mix!!! Right now I just need something that is rather quick and easy, and can stay in for a good amount of physical activity, as lyra, trapeze and silks have a very great amount of movement, swinging, spinning, not to mention the flipping of the body over and over from upside-down to vertical hundreds of times in on training session.

Right now I can be out the door, from dreaming while snuggled under my electric blanket with bed head - to a basic painted face (hey, the rest can be done at red lights and in famous Chicago dead-stopped traffic, right!!?!?) - and masses of hair securely knotted to my head - and backing out the drive in just around 30 minutes. That is mainly because I just simply smoothe out the style from the day before, and re-secure with a color co-ordinating huge 60th street, Ketylo, or Baerreis fork, Squiggly, Twistick, or RavensCroft Moonbeam, and out I go.

I have massive hair toys, many makers of forks, sticks short and long, (I tend to rarely put much else besides wood toys in my hair) so please be creative, or boring and simple (+++) and let's see what this fabulous community can do to give me a better hair style where it isn't all one huge bulging tumor off the back of my head, and all the hairs are tired from being pulled in the same directions.

Can't wait to read your replies! Ha! I have silks class in 5 mere hours tomorrow, guess I'd better do a fantastic job at faking some serious sleep, I certainly need the real thing. Will depend on a normal updo for this morning, as I doubt anyone is crazy enough to reply within 4 hours, plus I best not be late out the door because I was trying to swirl it into respect and obedience without enough practice. Aerial arts are certainly not a great performance art for letting your hair down, most especially if it's a ways past your butt!!

See you all laters!:p

PaganPriestess
November 22nd, 2011, 02:19 AM
I once did an X with french dutch braids. I parted the hair in a cross, so I had 4 quadrants. Then french dutch braided from the left top to the right bottom & tied it off with an elastic. Then braided from the right top into the left bottom. When going over the first braid, I just did a regular braid until I could get to where I could take more hair from the bottom. I got a TON of compliments on it, and a lot of "how did you do that".

Pretty sure that won't help you much considering you don't want loose braids.

My daughter's favorite hairstyle is "Kai-Lan Buns" (from Ni Hao Kai Lan on Nick Jr). Here's a pic of the cartoon character: http://blogmagique.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/nickelodeon_ni_hao_kai_lan_small_320.jpg
Basically it's two coiled buns on the very top of the head, very asian inspired. My daughter is 3. But I've worn my hair out like that too.

You could do a variation of Princess Leia buns, but instead of doing them on the right & left of the head, you could do them up & down.

Gabriel
November 22nd, 2011, 04:26 AM
PaganPriestess, that character is so cute! Those knots are sometimes called odango buns and they're my favorite!

I put my hair up in various double buns all the time. I use a pair of four or five inch sticks, wooden hair forks, metal hair forks or Hair-Do-Sticks to secure them. I'll use a few spin pins or claw clips sometimes but not as often as one of the other ones I just mentioned. I never use regular hair pins or bobbie pins. My hair just laughs at those. I don't start them with hair bands either, I just wrap or twist the sections gently as though making a regular sized bun.

I'm not really a braider either but this crown braid technique (Partless Crown Braid (Pic Heavy)) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=78600)is easy and secure.

I'll either put them up high or low, never directly at the side, Princess Leia style though. I also stack them kind of french braid style down the center of the back of my head.

I'll only rarely use a cinnabun style or figure-8 but double buns can be done with those and be quite secure. Usually it's a celtic knot, nautilus, or a similiar bun.

I have a few pictures in my album.

Here's a thread you might like to look through as well with some ideas.

Who likes Double Buns ?????? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72400)

Lippytoes
November 22nd, 2011, 05:30 AM
I'm really fond of doing double Dutch braids and then bunning them at the back - my hair isn't super thick so the buns end up nice and flat against my head, making for a very secure updo! I secure with tiny claw clips, although pins/spin pins would do fine too.

GeoJ
November 22nd, 2011, 06:21 AM
Two braids wrapped around the head in opposite directions, and sewn into place using a bodkin and some silk or satin ribbon. This stays put! The downside is that it takes a little longer to do.

Lark
November 22nd, 2011, 07:01 AM
I am not practiced enough to do it myself (I have just managed to do a decent single french braid at 31!) But I have seen a beautiful up do before that consists of two french braids going opposite directions with coiled buns that end up looking like a yin yang that I fell in love with! Hopefully that is understandable. :P

Madora
November 22nd, 2011, 07:44 AM
Would a lace twist braid work for you? Here's a tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Once you have completed the circle, you could take the remaining hair and using a Topsy Tail Tool, weave the ends through the crown and then use hairpins to fasten in place.

The same technique works great with a lace English braid too, but doing the lace twist technique is faster.

Noortje
November 22nd, 2011, 07:44 AM
I quite like the amish braided updo, only need a little elastic at the end :D And holds like a ROCK! I've been known for wearing it 3 days straight while still looking presentable :)
Linkie: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30688