PDA

View Full Version : getting frustrated with slippery hair!

laurarvt
November 21st, 2011, 10:56 PM
I bought my 1st real pair of hairsticks a couple of months ago (Ron Quattro flexsticks) and after many hours of youtube videos and swearing, I mastered the nautilus bun. I was sooo happy....I had been wearing a scrunchie bun forever and was glad to get away from it.

I've been cone-free and loving it, doing CWC 2x/week and playing around with different conditioners, oil treatments, SMT's. I think I've made my hair too soft and silky....I can't get my nautilus to stay anymore! I've been wearing it daily for weeks and now it just falls out immediately.

Any tips? New sticks that will stick better? Start blowfrying? (just kidding =)

Thanks everyone!

ddiana1979
November 21st, 2011, 11:01 PM
I still can't get a Nautilus to stay perfectly, and my hair is almost WL. Mine's very slick too. If I put a little bit of aloe (a 1:1 solution with water, using a spray bottle) in the length, it stays much better.

Amber_Maiden
November 22nd, 2011, 07:05 AM
Ahhhh!!! Maybe this was the problem I was having with that bun! I was worried it was because my hair was too thick.. which it still might be...

starshade
November 22nd, 2011, 09:17 AM
I've been struggling with some basic hairdos as well, which my hair refuses to stay in, but the aloe vera gel helped a whole lot. Stayed for hours and hours as opposed to half an hour. Never tried hair sticks though.

spidermom
November 22nd, 2011, 10:49 AM
I find that my buns stay better if I don't comb my hair out first.

heidi w.
November 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM
All stylists tend to prefer at least day old hair since the last hairwash to style hair. Freshly washed hair is generally more "slick" for styling. Even one day, there's a bit more sebum and sometimes "stick" for a style. Aloe Vera gel helps a lot of people with styles.

Also for hairstick styles I've had to fool around with the tension. Too loose and one lone hairstick just may not hold all my hair up all day.

Practice.

heidi w.

haibane
November 22nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
Misting my hair lightly before putting it up really helps getting updos to stay.

clairenewcastle
November 22nd, 2011, 02:41 PM
My hair stays in place better when it isn't newly washed, also it's important to ensure the updo is tight enough to start with.

shikara
November 22nd, 2011, 08:52 PM
Damp bunning does help for many but what has helped me immensely is a shampoo bar. Since I oil my scalp before washing and because i dont want to fuss with the bar fooorreevef on my length, I'll give a diluted wash with poo first, then the shampoo bar all over my head. If you condition your length, try using only a little and for a short period of time. At least the hair aound your head wont be so slipperyMake sure to rinse well with diluted lemon juice or ACV when done. Some use two or more sticks, some give the bun a little anchoring help with other tools of the trade. I cant use them anyway, and many others cant either. They tug my hair too much! Good luck!
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_c60b3fb2.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=c60b3fb2.jpg)