PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with buns....

Amber_Maiden
November 21st, 2011, 07:33 PM
I've been trying to get into buns, now that I have hair sticks to do them with. I don't have anything else, I'm afraid, except a pair of Flexi-8's.

I haven't been able to do them properly. I've you tubed videos, and I'll sit there trying to do the EXACT same thing the person in the video is doing, but it never works. I'm wondering if my hair is not long enough...:(

I'd really like to get the The Nautilus Bun down. Any tips? Or links to pictures with step by step tips? I'm going crazy :wail: and feel rather dumb... :headache:

Trying to stay calm :meditate:

Thanks in advance to anyone/everyone who can help me out!

katsrevenge
November 21st, 2011, 07:49 PM
OK... you have thick hair like I do, I think? Well over 4? Hard to tell from your pic!

Anyways, there would be no way for me to do that bun till I have a lot more length. (I just tried and I got to the part where she wraps the hair around itself and then.. nope.) That may be your problem too. Thick hair makes for great braids.. but it needs to be a lot longer to do most 'styled' buns. It has more width to wrap around itself, if that makes sense?

Hmmm..... some people have luck doing half-up buns or double buns. Could you try that? Do two buns almost like a Princess Leia look?

I was just recently able to do a one-twist braided bun. That half inch or so really made a difference. So.. maybe with more length you could do this too..

ETA:
Buns I can do now that most of my hair is midback/waist are the cinnabun, braided basic bun with hairstick, messy twisted bun with stick, tight bun with stick, and a pseudo pencil wrap bun. I fiddle with other kinds but I generally can't get the hair to behave or fold enough.

Vanilla
November 21st, 2011, 07:49 PM
Have you tried the lazy wrap bun? I finally just got this one and I love it.

Edited for link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omw2szlWRU8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

jesis
November 21st, 2011, 07:54 PM
I got this cool little thing that helps me do a "sock" bun. It makes my bun look huge and tidy. I got it at a drugstore and it was only about $5.

I also do an infinity/figure 8 bun or a french twist. French braids are awesome, too. You just tuck the end under and it helps protect your ends, too!

Butterfly braids are super cute, too, but my hair isn't long enough yet.

Amber_Maiden
November 21st, 2011, 07:56 PM
OK... you have thick hair like I do, I think? Well over 4? Hard to tell from your pic!

Anyways, there would be no way for me to do that bun till I have a lot more length. (I just tried and I got to the part where she wraps the hair around itself and then.. nope.) That may be your problem too. Thick hair makes for great braids.. but it needs to be a lot longer to do most 'styled' buns. It has more width to wrap around itself, if that makes sense?

Hmmm..... some people have luck doing half-up buns or double buns. Could you try that? Do two buns almost like a Princess Leia look?

I was just recently able to do a one-twist braided bun. That half inch or so really made a difference. So.. maybe with more length you could do this too..

ETA:
Buns I can do now that most of my hair is midback/waist are the cinnabun, braided basic bun with hairstick, messy twisted bun with stick, tight bun with stick, and a pseudo pencil wrap bun. I fiddle with other kinds but I generally can't get the hair to behave or fold enough.

Yep, my hair is over 5 actually, and was at 5.75 last time I checked. Think that's the problem?
Do you have any links to places where I could see a step by step for the messy twisted bun with stick, and the tight bun with stick?
Thank you!!

Amber_Maiden
November 21st, 2011, 08:01 PM
Have you tried the lazy wrap bun? I finally just got this one and I love it.

Edited for link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omw2szlWRU8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thank you! I'm wondering if my hair is long enough though... I'll try it!

Amber_Maiden
November 21st, 2011, 08:02 PM
I got this cool little thing that helps me do a "sock" bun. It makes my bun look huge and tidy. I got it at a drugstore and it was only about $5.

I also do an infinity/figure 8 bun or a french twist. French braids are awesome, too. You just tuck the end under and it helps protect your ends, too!

Butterfly braids are super cute, too, but my hair isn't long enough yet.

I'm embarrassed I haven't gotten into braiding yet, because I cut layers into my hair.... ah well.

Vanilla
November 21st, 2011, 08:05 PM
Thank you! I'm wondering if my hair is long enough though... I'll try it!

I can do it with my APL hair. I have a picture of it as my profile picture when you click on my name.

jesis
November 21st, 2011, 08:24 PM
I'm embarrassed I haven't gotten into braiding yet, because I cut layers into my hair.... ah well.

I hear you, that's why I love tucking the french braid, it hides any imperfections in the longer part of the braid. My shortest layers are about SL, and my bangs are past chin. I have a picture of my french braid in my updos album. That took me about 2 minutes.

Usually I don't have this problem, but if any pieces slip out, you can just bobby pin them in.

Fishtail braid would look awesome with your hair, too! :)

WaterMusic
November 21st, 2011, 08:25 PM
My hair is 3.5" in thickness, and I couldn't do a nautilus or a lazy wrap until after 27" of length. Until then it was cinnabuns all the way!

katsrevenge
November 21st, 2011, 08:35 PM
The messy bun: http://youtu.be/hRV1VzxdiXU

The tight one.. it's like a bee butt bun. Basically you do a cinnabun but instead of laying each coil flat on your head you let them twist up on each other. Sticks out like a beebutt. I don't do it often because it sticks out! I don't know where you'd find a tut.