PDA

View Full Version : hair dye for pregnant lady?

joflakes
November 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
...And no, it's not me!
My sister is pregnant and wants to dye her hair black.
Does anyone know of any natural things I can get her as a pressie?

Thanks
Jo

Amber_Maiden
November 21st, 2011, 11:01 AM
Hey! I just dyed my hair and I'm pregnant! I used a non-chemical safe dye, it's basically just herbal dye. It's called "Palette by Nature". They have black dye. Check their website. :) Congrats to your sister!

joflakes
November 22nd, 2011, 06:21 AM
Thanks, Amber Maiden. I'll check it out.

Just had a look and I don't think it's UK friendly, sadly. Oh well.

Is Manic Panic safe?

Amber_Maiden
November 22nd, 2011, 06:43 AM
Thanks, Amber Maiden. I'll check it out.

Just had a look and I don't think it's UK friendly, sadly. Oh well.

Is Manic Panic safe?

I'm pretty sure it is... But to be on the same side you should email the company and see what they say.

naturegirl321
November 23rd, 2011, 05:13 AM
Henna is fine. I used it every month when I was pregnant.

Katze
November 23rd, 2011, 05:20 AM
henna expert here.

be very careful with any 'natural' dyes with walnut etc. Many dyes sold in natural foods stores as 'brown henna' etc have other plants in them.

Black and brown chemical dye have PPD, a dangerous and harmful chemical that's not good for anyone, let alone fetuses!

Freija
November 23rd, 2011, 07:53 AM
Manic panic is safe - see FAQ 10 here: http://www.manicpanic.com/frequently_asked_qs.html

Easier to get hold of in the UK though, and a similar product, would be Directions - it's that particular brand that I see most often in fairtrade/alternative clothes shops. They make 'Ebony', which is quite a nice, natural-looking black. You can mix the dyes in a tinting-bowl, so you could add a reddish or bluish hue if you wanted to. I like Directions dye - I achieved a very bright bonfire red on natural mid red-brown hair once with their 'Vermillion' (it was easily as intense as henna, but visible in most lighting!). Just leave it on for 30-40 minutes rather than the 15-20 they suggest.

Alternatively, for a more specific range of dark brown/black shades, there's Naturtint Reflex, which you could order online. It lasts for up to a month (but like all semipermanents, could last longer) and doesn't contain PPD, ammonia or peroxide. From a quick Google search, it seems lots of people have used it while pregnant. Vegetal seems to be a similar thing, it's supposed to wash out in 6-8 washes and it has an even wider range of natural shades than Naturtint Reflex. I'm quite tempted by the copper blonde shade in that range, actually...

Otherwise, there's the Nice n'Easy 6-8 wash version (the dyes that come in the smallest boxes, with only one bottle). You can get them in just about every Superdrug I've been into. I've used these from time to time and they really do wash out - but the darker colours (I've used the dark brown which looked almost black at first) stick around the longest. It finally faded after about five weeks on me, and of course - it could be reapplied in that time.

Hope that helps! :)

Freija
November 23rd, 2011, 07:58 AM
Oh - I should add that with the Directions dye it looks good while the dye is there, as long as it's being topped up regularly. But if it starts to fade it will look greenish before it washes out fully. That didn't happen with the Nice'n'Easy (I haven't used the Naturtint Reflex dye, unfortunately, so I can't help there).

ktani
November 23rd, 2011, 08:03 AM
There is more information here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1877347&postcount=12

Hollyfire3
November 23rd, 2011, 08:09 AM
Manic panic is safe - see FAQ 10 here: http://www.manicpanic.com/frequently_asked_qs.html

Easier to get hold of in the UK though would be Directions - they have 'Ebony', which is quite a nice, natural-looking black. You can mix the dyes in a tinting-bowl, so you could add reddish or a bluish hue if you wanted to. I like Directions dye - I achieved a very bright bonfire red on natural mid red-brown hair once with their 'Vermillion'. Just leave it on for 30-40 minutes rather than the 15-20 they suggest.

Alternatively, for a more permanent colour with a more specific range of dark brown/black shades, there's Naturtint Reflex, which you could order online. It lasts for up to a month (but like all semipermanents, could last longer) and doesn't contain PPD, ammonia or peroxide. From a quick Google search, it seems lots of people have used it while pregnant.

Otherwise, there's the Nice n'Easy 6-8 wash range (the dyes that come in the smallest boxes, with only one bottle). I've used these from time to time and they really do wash out - but the darker colours (I've used the dark brown which looked almost black at first) stick around the longest. It finally faded after about five weeks on me, and of course - it could be reapplied in that time.

Hope that helps! :)

I don't know much about hair dye and pregnancy but i have used the Nice n' Easy hair color when i was dyeing my hair almost black (darkest brown or something but on my already decently dark hair, it came out black with redish carmel tints) for Halloween one year (i didn't want the color to be permenant just incase i hated it) The color lasted about two months, but, it did fade a bit every wash. If you use that dye, i recomend some sort of tinted (find one that is also safe) shampoo and conditioner to make the dye last longer. The color was nice though so, if possible, using that would be a good idea.

ktani
November 23rd, 2011, 08:18 AM
This is pretty accurate from other sources I have read, http://www.thecmr.com/The-CMR/Pregnancy/Dying-for-a-Change-Hair-Coloring-and-Pregnancy-What-You-Need-to-Know.html
Bottom line to me - the individual should talk to their doctor, who may have access to the very latest information and individual circumstances re health come into play (affect the response).

joflakes
November 23rd, 2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks all. I'll have a look into it in a while.

ktani
November 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks all. I'll have a look into it in a while.

You are very welcome.