PDA

View Full Version : Washing upside-down really makes a difference!

Lilli
November 21st, 2011, 06:57 AM
I know Madora has always proselytized washing and conditioning upside down, but for some reason, I never paid attention. I have made a big effort to do this recently, though, and it makes an amazing difference! The shampoo stays at the roots where it is needed, instead of getting all over the canopy and drying it further. And then the conditioner does get on the canopy where it is needed, and makes my crown and front ends combable, which they never were when washing standing up. So thank you, Madora!

Peggy E.
November 21st, 2011, 07:27 AM
From someone who has to use a seat in her shower, the idea of upside-down hair washing falls into the category of "death wish." I'd simply fall over off the chair on my head - shampoo and conditioner scattered over the shower floor, along with me..... :o(

I don't understand, though, how the shampoo stays on the roots, while the conditioner moves around? Seems like the shampoo would travel south like the conditioner, or the conditioner would remain north like the shampoo.

Have you tried CO washing? Or is there also some sort of advantage to having all the blood rushing to the root area while you're washing/conditioning/passing out?! ;o)

When I was little, Mom used to wash our hair in the sink and it was always upside-down, come to think of it. I just remember my scalp itching a lot because she wasn't really proficient at removing the shampoo from the roots.

And in the beauty shops they have you sort of upside-down, only a backwards bend on it, when washing your hair. But this isn't something I could ever do myself.

It's always interesting to hear of all the fascinating techniques out there for helping us obtain and maintain the healthiest hair possible.

Helenae
November 21st, 2011, 07:32 AM
I've tried to wash and condition upside down but I have a big volume of hair and it gets sooo knotty and tangled when I tried to flip it back over...

What could I do to resolve this? Or is washing upside down just not meant for me?

ktani
November 21st, 2011, 07:38 AM
I agree completely. I have washed "upside down" but I call it "all forward" for years. It works perfectly for me.

PlainLight
November 21st, 2011, 07:56 AM
When I was little my grandmother would wash my hair in the sink. Now I wash it in the bathtub before having a bath. It has always worked well for me.

Anje
November 21st, 2011, 08:38 AM
I don't understand, though, how the shampoo stays on the roots, while the conditioner moves around? Seems like the shampoo would travel south like the conditioner, or the conditioner would remain north like the shampoo.
I think what she's describing is the ability to shampoo the scalp without applying shampoo foam directly to the whole canopy to the nape of the neck, and then being able to condition the canopy without getting conditioner on top of her head, as opposed to "below the ears" conditioning.

This seems to be a thing among people who don't get dried out scalps from that sort of washing, I understand.

Madora
November 21st, 2011, 08:40 AM
I know Madora has always proselytized washing and conditioning upside down, but for some reason, I never paid attention. I have made a big effort to do this recently, though, and it makes an amazing difference! The shampoo stays at the roots where it is needed, instead of getting all over the canopy and drying it further. And then the conditioner does get on the canopy where it is needed, and makes my crown and front ends combable, which they never were when washing standing up. So thank you, Madora!

I'm happy to read that the upside down method worked for you, Lilli!

Just to clarify a bit: I use a bath chair and shampoo twice (shampoo is diluted). The first shampooing is directed at the length to remove dirt. The second shampooing is for the roots/scalp.

Conditioner is diluted also and poured over and thru the hair, rinsed out with a warm rinse, followed by a very cold rinse.

Because of arthritis in my feet, I use a bath chair.

How you actually shampoo (i.e. use your fingerpads) has a bearing on how much tangling you can avoid. I have a special system and it really helps avoid a lot of tangling.

Using the bent position to wash your hair also seems (to me) to be more hair friendly in that you are "going with the flow" when washing hair downwards. It somehow feels more natural. For years I washed my hair in an upright position but once I learned how to manage my hair while in the bent position, it just felt better.

Also, for the other poster who flipped their hair, some unsolicited advice...it would be more hair friendly for you to part your hair from forehead to nape, then take each section and bring it over your shoulder and let it fall down your back. The flipping only makes things worse as far as tangles go. Ideally, when your hair is fully of conditioner, detangle it gently, then rinse thoroughly, then create the part. Over the years I found that a lot of hair tangling could be avoided by manipulating the hair carefully from the beginning to the end. My methods may be time consuming but my hair benefited.

The bottom line...whether or not you shampoo/condition standing erect or in the bent position, it is how gentle you are during the process that makes the difference.

Alaia
November 21st, 2011, 09:00 AM
Hmmm I tried it alongside the GM products but for me it was too much hassle and my hair did not benefit from it. I got exactly the same results from washing standing up. In fact, it takes much less time in total because I can have a proper shower while doing it.

During the cold months I may wash upside down if I don't want to get my whole body wet, however.

Amber_Maiden
November 21st, 2011, 09:00 AM
I think I'll try this! :)

spidermom
November 21st, 2011, 09:32 AM
It's plus/minus for me. I like the fact that I can get more conditioner on the canopy without getting it on my scalp, but I hate how tangly my hair is when I go back to the upright position. It tangles far less if I leave it hanging straight down my body while I wash, condition, then air dry.

UP Lisa
November 21st, 2011, 09:35 AM
Washing upside down means a nightmare of tangles for me!

celebriangel
November 21st, 2011, 10:25 AM
CO washing works much better when I do it upside down - I think because it's easier to get a really good coating of conditioner all over my scalp and roots.

I worry about what's going to happen when my hair reaches about BCL, though, because then it will go on the shower floor.

morrigan*
November 21st, 2011, 10:26 AM
I love washing upside down. I'm doing this for years with great results, and this is how i can stand cold rinse without being cold.

Mírien
November 21st, 2011, 10:40 AM
It would be awkward for me to wash my hair upside down in the shower. But have you never thought of separating washing your body from washing your hair? :p
At least, this is what I do. I wash my hair in a bowl of warm water, while I am fully dressed and do not have wet hair hanging down my naked back which I hate. Moreover, I cannot imagine my final cold rinse otherwise... Bent at the waist, only my scalp is exposed to the cold, but pouring it over your back??? Brrrr... In addition, it is much easier to distribute conditioner on your length when the hair is in front of you.
As for tangles, I do not seem to have more this way. However, when I detangle my hair, I also slightly bend at the waist and bring my strands before me, which is roughly the same position.

Theobroma
November 21st, 2011, 10:47 AM
It would be awkward for me to wash my hair upside down in the shower. But have you never thought of separating washing your body from washing your hair? :p

I strongly second this. I've never washed my hair any other way than upside-down in the sink. No issues with getting conditioner all over my back, no issues with cold rinses going anywhere except over my hair, and no trouble worth the name with tangles. I flip it back right side up carefully and then equally carefully comb it out. No problem at all!

UP Lisa
November 21st, 2011, 10:51 AM
As far as I've been able to determine, there is no reason to do a cold rinse - unless you really like the feeling.:)

I love washing upside down. I'm doing this for years with great results, and this is how i can stand cold rinse without being cold.

Delila
November 21st, 2011, 10:58 AM
I strongly second this. I've never washed my hair any other way than upside-down in the sink. ...

Also, at the sink, it's much easier to rinse out herbal stuff like cassia. Soaking in a big bowl is, IMO, much easier than trying the same thing in the bathtub.

An added bonus is that I keep my sink much cleaner, because I've had such a close view of it while rinsing.

morrigan*
November 21st, 2011, 11:01 AM
As far as I've been able to determine, there is no reason to do a cold rinse - unless you really like the feeling.:)
I don't know i just doing like that for two or three years i don't mind it since i'm dressed and only bent above bathtube :D

Madora
November 21st, 2011, 11:25 AM

The reason for the final cold rinse is to close the hair cuticles (which have been opened with warm/hot water). I learned this from LHC member IGOR.

CastaDiva
November 21st, 2011, 11:28 AM
I have always washed my hair upside down, by leaning my head and torso into the shower cabinet. I like to be able to wash my hair without taking my clothes off, and since I use several products every time and the whole hair washing routine takes about an hour and a half, I prefer to be fully dressed. Besides, I don't like the feeling of wet hair down my back.

BlazingHeart
November 21st, 2011, 11:43 AM
I would be at a high risk of either falling or fainting if I tried this. Heart conditions don't mix well with this sort of position.

As far as cold rinses, I've tried them and I saw no benefit. Maybe it is different for others.

moxamoll
November 21st, 2011, 12:01 PM
I'm with the tangling folks on this one. I've never figured out a method to get standing back upright without my hair becoming a giant Gordian knot. :( I clean, apply conditioner and then clip it up out of the way to "soak" while I do the rest of my cleaning. Then rinse. Whatever works for you!

jacqueline101
November 21st, 2011, 12:12 PM
I wash my hair upside down always have. I haven't noticed any sort of difference.

GuinevereMay
November 21st, 2011, 12:14 PM
I always wash my hair upside down, as well. For some reason, it works better for me than rightside up washing.

MissCoco
November 21st, 2011, 12:34 PM
Except for when I was a baby and during a short period of two years when I was 8-9 years old, I have always washed my hair upside down. I tried to wash it while upright recently and my hair just comes out flat at the top and only partially clean. As for the 'flipback' moment after washing my hair... I just deal with it. Yes, even with my huge, puffy 2c/3a hair, I just make sure to de-tangle by sections from tips to roots. Also, by washing upside down in the sink, I can let my hair soak for as long as I want in diluted ACV, Indian herbal rinses or whatever treatment I'm doing, which make the benefits even more noticeable. :cloud9:

Lilli
November 21st, 2011, 12:41 PM
I bend over and then roughly part it in the middle before wetting it. Then I reach up under and apply the shampoo with my fingertips directly at the roots. This allows me to get the roots clean all over without drying out the canopy hair. I rinse this, and then apply conditioner to the frontmost parts that hang the lowest (this is the front ends and canopy, which are the driest). I stroke the conditioner through my hair and then gently push it back while standing up. There is no flipping, and since it was roughly parted in two and has conditioner in it, it just sort of swings to the back. Then I rinse it standing up. I never do cold rinses because I don't care.

So, it's awesome for me b/c my roots get clean without ever getting shampoo on the ends, and the driest parts get most of the conditioner.

Like I said, I didn't think it would make a difference, but it makes a huge difference. I can use the cheapest S&C and wash upside down and have beautiful hair; I can use the nicest routine and wash rightside up and have crappy hair. It's magic. FWIW, I have been using $0.80 V05 volumizing S&C and it looks great.

heidihug
November 21st, 2011, 12:54 PM
This method tends to work better for people with shorter hair (shorter hair by LHC standards, NOT society-as-a-whole standards). I used to wash my hair upside-down quite often, when it was 30" or less, I'd say. I wonder - you all who use this method AND also condition your hair - do you let the conditioner sit on your hair? If so, do you keep your head flipped forward while you are conditioning? I leave my conditioner on for at least three minutes while I take care of the rest of my showering. I'm pretty sure I would get dizzy and tip over if I was leaning forward at the waist for so long!

In reality, I'd never do the upside-down wash now, as my hair is much longer, and fine, thin and extremely prone to tangling and knots. Plus, if I flipped it forward in the shower the ends would be floating around, circling the drain - ugh! My shower's clean, but it's not clean enough for me to do that :)

WaterMusic
November 21st, 2011, 01:02 PM
I've tried Madora's method of parting the hair and putting over the shoulders in order to flip in back the right way, but it always ends up lying funny and tangled.

My method is thus: once you are done whatever it is you are doing (brushing, washing, etc), gather your hair into a ponytail on the top of your hair, and gradually keep moving the ponytail further and further back, re-gathering the hair each time. Once the ponytail is on the back of your hair, hold it with one hand, flip the tail over your shoulders, and stand up.

I like washing upside down because my skin is sensitive, and my back HATES the vinegar rinses. It stings every time. And yes, I dilute it about 100:1 and I can still feel it stinging.

lajsa
November 21st, 2011, 01:07 PM
I do wash upside-down sometimes (it's good because then I can separate the hair wash and the body wash; I like to shower REALLY hot and my hair isn't very happy about that) but most of the time I'm too lazy to do it, because it feels more complicated somehow. Don't ask me why. I think I might go back to it full time now, though, because it's getting cold outside (-15 C the other day :D) which means I want to scald myself even more... hopefully without frying my hair to death. :p

morrigan*
November 27th, 2011, 12:24 PM
The reason for the final cold rinse is to close the hair cuticles (which have been opened with warm/hot water). I learned this from LHC member IGOR.
I heard something like that years ago and now it just doesn't felt right if i don't do it :)

anixia
November 27th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I like to shampoo upside down because my hair is rather thick and otherwise I don't feel like I can get my roots as clean.

rena
November 27th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Since we don't have the fixings for a properly working shower other than the showerhead, I have to shower on my knees which means being upside down whenever dealing with the hair. But I have to say, I get much better (and cleaner) results than when I rinsed in regular bath water or standing straight in the shower. You can get to the roots without the hair being plastered to your scalp and getting in the way.

The only con so far is the cut-off circulation and resulting pins and needles feeling from so much kneeling. (Did I just rhyme there?)

TitaniaOfFairys
November 27th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I love to wash my hair upside down. I 'm doing this when I don't have time for a long bath, and I just shower.
However I think I should do this more often, as it makes my hair so much better.

I have a towel only for this washes. First I shampoo, rinse, then conditioner, and I just wrap my hair in this towel. After 10 minutes I rinse the conditioner off (if I use 2 different conditioners, I just repeat this step) final rinse with herb tee, put some oil on the ends, then (still upside down) wrap my hair in a second, dry towel.

The point is that I don't flip my hair back. It is very confortable for me, the towel stays in place, and after 30-40 minutes I just remove the towel, twist my hair on the top of my head and pin it.
Then I usually exercise. With this method my hair doesn't get in the way, and it also has time to dry a bit.

When my hair is about 70% dry and I finished the work out, I let it down (still upside down) and dry the rest of it (yes, with a blowdryer).
This is the first time I use a comb since washing, as I never comb my wet hair. Because my hair was pinned up, I don't have any tangles. I just use the comb to prevent tangling from the air.

After my hair is totally dry, I
a) twist it again on the top of my head and pin it without flipping it back, and sleep this way
b) let it down and comb out carefully, then sleep with my hair loose or in a braid.

MissManda
November 27th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Glad to hear that you've found something that works for you! :flower:

I've tried washing my hair upside down before, but it didn't work out because I got the same results from washing normally. Plus, it invited all of the tangles to come and play (even with careful handling and a Tangle Teezer), which is no fun because my hair tangles like crazy when it's wet if I don't take extra precautions. Tangles are mean. :p

longcurlygirl<3
November 27th, 2011, 05:16 PM
From someone who has to use a seat in her shower, the idea of upside-down hair washing falls into the category of "death wish." I'd simply fall over off the chair on my head - shampoo and conditioner scattered over the shower floor, along with me..... :o(
That was so cute and it made me giggle :o

Rowan1980
November 27th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I'm a fan of shampooing or co-washing in my sink. I have easier access to my scalp and it's easier for me to save water that way.

I usually shampoo or use a clarifying condish in the sink, bag it up (I either have catnip tea or said condish in the hair), let it sit for a while, then hop in the shower to rinse and do whatever else. It definitely cuts down on my shower time, that's for sure.

krissykins
November 27th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I used to love washing upside down, but the top of my scalp doesn't get clean that way. I'm glad it's working for others. :)

Talma
November 27th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I've tried to wash and condition upside down but I have a big volume of hair and it gets sooo knotty and tangled when I tried to flip it back over...

What could I do to resolve this? Or is washing upside down just not meant for me?

Thank Heavens I'm not the only one!!!! I tried this method this morning (before seeing this thread) and my hair was so tangled (especially at the roots) that I could not get the quills of the brush to my scalp...Correction, BRUSHES as I tried 3 different detangling brushes in my stash and nothing worked. Not even "Old Faithful" that banishes the toughest of tangle days. my hair was extremely dried out from the beginning so I know that didn't help but after lots of time struggling, one sore back and tired Talma later I had to braid my hair up tangles and all because nothing is working...This is after an overnight SMT too! Yikes! I think the last time my hair was this knotted at the roots was when I was ill for several months and couldn't stand in the shower long enough to detangle properly. Over time it just fused together, taking several detangle sessions to get unknotted.

freecelt
November 28th, 2011, 05:40 PM
What do you mean by "upside down"? I'm reading people saying they bending and some people are parting their hair in front. I'm confused :/

pepperminttea
November 28th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I did try this, but I get dizzy easily (I was one of those kids that felt ill after going on a roundabout at the playground :o ), and I get a lot more tangles that way, so it wasn't worth it for me.

Tea Lady
November 28th, 2011, 05:52 PM
This method tends to work better for people with shorter hair (shorter hair by LHC standards, NOT society-as-a-whole standards). I used to wash my hair upside-down quite often, when it was 30" or less, I'd say. I wonder - you all who use this method AND also condition your hair - do you let the conditioner sit on your hair? If so, do you keep your head flipped forward while you are conditioning? I leave my conditioner on for at least three minutes while I take care of the rest of my showering. I'm pretty sure I would get dizzy and tip over if I was leaning forward at the waist for so long!

In reality, I'd never do the upside-down wash now, as my hair is much longer, and fine, thin and extremely prone to tangling and knots. Plus, if I flipped it forward in the shower the ends would be floating around, circling the drain - ugh! My shower's clean, but it's not clean enough for me to do that :)

I don't do the upside down deal anymore, but I can see the purpose it in, and may revisit it for myself.

Heidihug, I also let the conditioner sit for a while, and as I was imagining doing this, I was thinking I would take one of my cheap shower caps, lightly twist then wrap the conditioned length around my head, and cover with the shower cap so it can sit for a few minutes. That might solve the dilemma, although I suppose then perhaps more conditioner will get on the scalp than one may want?

Tea Lady

coneyisland
November 28th, 2011, 06:37 PM

Because of balance and other issues, I do not use showers. I do the "upside-down" (forward) washing seated cross-legged before the bathtub spout. I tip and turn my head under the spout to wet and to rinse the different sections of my scalp and length. Of course I keep my hair out of the drain.

beckishness
November 28th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I have been washing my hair upside down since I was in my early teens. I found that when I washed it upside down, my back didn't breakout from the conditioner. I have sensitive skin, so I took ever precaution against breakouts. I have never had any trouble washing it this way, but honestly I don't remember what it feels like to wash my hair right side up! :D

morrigan*
November 30th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I just remember that sometimes i get red itchy skin on chest if i wash hair standing up, it's gon within an hour but stil it's not fun :).

CrunchyMama
November 30th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I've done this for a few years now--I don't know if it has really made all that much difference, but I feel like I'm doing something good, and it's super easy to do--except when DH and I shower together, then I run out of elbow room when I bend over at the waist. ;)

First I condition from my ears down, then I shampoo my crown and hairline while standing up. I bend over at the waist and apply shampoo to my nape, and then work all the shampoo around my scalp, rubbing with my the pads of my fingers, until it is all worked in nicely around my scalp, all while I'm still bent double. Finally I stand up to rinse it all out, and I figure a teeny bit will help remove any dirt on my length while the conditioner protects it... Last step is to condition all over. I clip that up while I go about the rest of my shower ritual, then rinse it out at the end.

I've done this for ages, before I even discovered the LHC. Good instincts, maybe?

WaterMusic
November 30th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I've done this for a few years now--I don't know if it has really made all that much difference, but I feel like I'm doing something good, and it's super easy to do--except when DH and I shower together, then I run out of elbow room when I bend over at the waist. ;)

Lol. If I am showering with SO and I bend over... Nothing else gets done that shower. I don't let him come in with me if I need to wash my hair.

hanne jensen
December 1st, 2011, 01:36 AM
I tried this last time I washed my hair. My back started hurting. No matter how careful I was, my hair ended up a snarled, tangled and matted mess. It took me over an hour to de-tangle. So, this isn't anything for me. I did try though...

gonzobird
August 1st, 2012, 09:37 PM
THis is an old post, just wanted to say this is by far THE BEST thing I have done for my hair besides no heat!!!

No tangles, clean scalp, super conditioned ends....ahhhhhmazing. that is all.

one_fine_lady
August 1st, 2012, 09:55 PM
I condition the ends first, then do a shampoo "up side down" then while up side down I put my hair in a sort of bun on top of my head to keep the ends separate from the roots when I flip back up. After rinsing, I do a diluted conditioner on the ends, then rinse again. Just my method... which seems way more complicated now that I have typed it out lol

spirals
August 1st, 2012, 10:09 PM
I've been conditioning upside-down for years to avoid flat roots. (I wash standing up because it's less time bending my spine, and I have spine issues.) Now I am doing soap and acid rinse and no conditioner (only a bit of leave-in). I don't go upside-down anymore because the rinse runs in my eyes. But the rinse gives me big hair anyway, so I don't have to worry about flat roots.

PolarCathy
August 2nd, 2012, 12:16 AM
Hm... I've been washing upside down ever since I can remember. I don't even know how I could wash it stuck to my back and shoulders. :confused:

kidari
August 2nd, 2012, 01:50 AM
WO and CO washing is best upside down for me. I don't seem to have an issue with tangles since I'm not manipulating shampoo around my scalp. Also, I get amazing volume washing upside if I use the WO or CO method when normally this gives me flat hair if I do it standing upright in the shower.

luxepiggy
August 2nd, 2012, 02:04 AM
Recent convert to upside-down CO washing here!

MinderMutsig
August 2nd, 2012, 04:32 AM
Ditto. I can just see the look on DH's face if he has to come pick me up off the floor after such an adventure. Good times... :o

I've actually never been able to wash upside-down and/or over a sink. I always found it extremely uncomfortable and painful and afterwards I would always have huge tangles and find out I missed half my scalp in the rush to get it over with and make the pain stop and I'd have to do it all again.

We sometimes had to use sinks to wash our hair when we were on vacation going camping. I decided looooong ago that I'd rather not wash my hair at all than wash it upside down.

Actually, I sometimes sneaked shampoo or conditioner in my dry hair before going swimming so I could just wash my hair in the lake or river we were camping next too. "See mommy? My hair doesn't need to be washed! It's not greasy at all!"
*suspicious mountain of bubbles floats away in the background*

Minerve
August 15th, 2012, 05:26 AM
Except for when I was a baby and during a short period of two years when I was 8-9 years old, I have always washed my hair upside down. I tried to wash it while upright recently and my hair just comes out flat at the top and only partially clean.

I like to shampoo upside down because my hair is rather thick and otherwise I don't feel like I can get my roots as clean.

I second these descriptions: I find that treatments are more efficient, rinses more thorough, and my hair feel cleaner, when washing it upside down. I would add that my hair actually get hopelessly tangled when I don't (or rather can't for one reason or another) wash it upside-down - bizarre, isn't it? :o
In order to avoid tangling when getting back to standing position, I wrap my hair in a dry towel when still upside down, and arrange it in a turban for (at least) half an hour before combing it.

Tristania
August 15th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Love this method. It's the only way I can get my scalp properly clean without turning my hair into a bird's nest.