PDA

View Full Version : Gentle/Organic Shampoos

Manny1826
November 20th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Hi Everyone! I'm brand new to this site-- very excited to have found it! I'm wondering if anyone has some recommendations on some very gentle, yet effective organic type shampoos and conditioners? I've heard that Mercola has a very good one, but am wondering if anyone likes something else?

Amber_Maiden
November 20th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I like and use: Prairie Naturals, Green Beaver, Oneka, and Live Clean. I don't know if you can get them where you are, I think they are all Canadian brands.

spidermom
November 20th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I like Natures Gate products, also Rainforest.

Diamond.Eyes
November 20th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I've really been liking the Burt's Bees shampoo and conditioner lately. I've recently switched from Super Shiny Grapefruit & Sugar Beet kind to the More Moisture Raspberry & Brazil Nut shampoo and conditioner. The shampoo lathers rather well and the conditioner is really good when it comes to moisturizing. :)

akilina
November 20th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I recently found "shea organics" its at walgreens. I found it in the ethnic section. i got the deep moisturizing one and its amazing. everything in it is great (to me) and it is organic. i got the shampoo and a deep treatment mask that came in a tub. it smells wonderful too :) id recommend it to anyone on this site.

MissManda
November 20th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Nature's Gate and Desert Essence are quite nice. :) You might also want to go take a look at the shampoo bar thread.

sun-kissed
November 20th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Young Living brand Lavender shampoo served me for years with results I got from no other shampoo. I've since switched my routine to a mix of WO/CO, but I still use it for clarifying and it makes my hair soft and shiny. I think it's online-order only, though.

Kristin
November 20th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I really like Giovanni 50/50 Clarifying-Hydrating Shampoo.

vanillabones
November 20th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I use Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender, it is my favorite shampoo at the moment. It brings out any waves in my very straight hair, smells great, and cleans thoroughly, I have very oily hair. I also use Essential Oils Rosemary and Mint shampoo but it doesn't clean very well, it does at first, but my hair gets dirtier and oilier much more quickly compared to the avalon organics...

Those are the only sls-free shampoos I have but you can find Nature's Gate at supermarkets and I hope to try that next it seems to be well liked on the reviews page.

spike316
November 20th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I've been thoroughly enjoying my toadstool soaps since I found them. The thread about them is here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57726

Manny1826
November 21st, 2011, 05:42 AM
Thank you all so much for the suggestions!! I can't wait to start seeing what's available. I will say that I tried Mercola, and it's pretty nice , but seems to have a bit of a drying effect the day after. Also, for those of you talking about oily hair-- I had read somewhere that that's actually what allows a lot o fpeople to be able to grow such long hair-- people who have a lot of natural oil naturally moisturize their own hair, stopping it from breaking off-- so having oily hair is a very good thing and very conducive to long locks! When my hair gets greasy, I just put it up, and also put on a wide headband-- no one's the wiser! ;-)

Flying Penguin
November 24th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I haven't tried a lot of natural shampoos, but I like Juice Organics Pomsmooth Pomegranate Smoothing Shampoo. One that I've tried that I didn't like was Burt's Bees Very Volumizing Pomegranate & Soy Shampoo - it left my hair dry and tangly (and I used half the bottle before giving up). I just recently learned though that "volumizing" means not moisturizing, so I think that's why.

jaine
November 24th, 2011, 01:25 PM
(edit: duplicate post, sorry)

jaine
November 24th, 2011, 01:26 PM
What other products and conditioner are you using? Anything with silicone in it for example?

If there's no silicone in your routine, and if you feel like splurging a little ...my favorite natural shampoo and conditioner is John Masters Organics zinc & sage shampoo with John Masters Organics lavender & avocado conditioner. This makes my hair so, so shiny...as shiny as if I were using silicone, but there's no silicone in it. Very gentle to the hair too. It's expensive though... $2-3 per ounce depending if you get the small size or the big size. They currently have a sale that makes the small sizes the same price per ounce as the big sizes but I wish the big sizes would go on sale...I usually keep an eye out for a sale on the big sizes and then stock up.

LocustSpawning
November 24th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I can highly recommend 'Faith in Nature' shampoos :) Come in LOADS of different scents/formulas and work really well. They're also affordable. I use the Lavender and Geranium shampoo.

umbrellabones
November 25th, 2011, 08:13 AM
i havent tried any other organic shampoos/conditioners but i like natures gate. and its not very expensive compared to many other organic brands ive seen.