PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oiling in cold weather

GracieRae
November 20th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Ok, so in my neck of the woods coconut oil is always solid. I love soaking my hair in it overnight. I did my usual soak last night and it was scold in here my hair got hard. Not a surprise, my house was freezing. But I'm wondering if there is still a conditioning effect if it's hardened on your hair? Does it need to stay warm-ish to be effective?

hototogisu
November 20th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I don't think so, Gracie-Rae. I think coconut oil's primary action is 're-fatting' the hair - it replaces lipids and oils you lose from washing. Where I am is quite cold, so my oil blend always hardens, but I still feel like I get an effect!

isabelx
November 20th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I've used coconut oil on my hair a few times, the first time was when the house was cold and it hardened on my hair - had no conditioning effects, I was very disappointed.

The second time I applied it and left it on in a hot steamy shower so it didn't harden, and again it had no conditioning effects.

I think it's just my hair. What works for somebody may not work for another.

I think it does help to keep your hair warm when doing deep treatments though. Lets hope and expert chimes in here.

spidermom
November 20th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I haven't had that problem. I guess my hair is always close enough to my body to keep the coconut oil from hardening even in the coldest weather. I've heard that the coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft in the presence of warm water, so when you rinse/wash it out, it should still benefit.

Signe
November 20th, 2011, 03:50 PM
If you don't like it to harden, mix it 50/50 with a liquid oil like EVOO.

dili
November 20th, 2011, 03:53 PM
when its solid because of cold, i use a blow dryer from distance, it works very good on me

ktani
November 20th, 2011, 03:55 PM
For some reason the search here did not bring up this thread on the topic but Google did, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-16357.html - it is archived though.

ETA: I also wonder if the differences may have to do with how much conditioner or conditioner residue there is on the hair which does affect whether it can penetrate hair and how much.

Coconut oil can only penetrate the hair to the cortex level two ways, during shampooing and with heat - both on clarified hair only, even after a pre-oiling, or with adding it to shampoo - or on hair with minimal coatings - and on hair with minimal coatings not nearly as much as on clarified hair.

GracieRae
November 20th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Shooting it with the hairdryer for a few minutes on warm is a good idea. I'll try that next time. My house was colder than usual too :( My hair looked so funny when I woke up, I should have taken a picture:p

GracieRae
November 20th, 2011, 04:11 PM
For some reason the search here did not bring up this thread on the topic but Google did, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-16357.html - it is archived though.

ETA: I also wonder if the differences may have to do with how much conditioner or conditioner residue there is on the hair which does affect whether it can penetrate hair and how much.

Coconut oil can only penetrate the hair to the cortex level two ways, during shampooing and with heat - both on clarified hair only, even after a pre-oiling, or with adding it to shampoo - or on hair with minimal coatings - and on hair with minimal coatings not nearly as much as on clarified hair.

Ahhhhhhhhh, I do use cones and hadn't clarified. I usually just massage it on hair and scalp the night before wash day. Maybe it's been pointless? Shoot!

ktani
November 20th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Shooting it with the hairdryer for a few minutes on warm is a good idea. I'll try that next time. My house was colder than usual too :( My hair looked so funny when I woke up, I should have taken a picture:p

I am sure it was not amusing.

Re coconut oil and penetration to the cortex - both clarifying products and shampoos can contain coatings that stay on the hair and block lauric acid from reaching the cortex - it is about using shampoos or a clarifying product that does not contain them.

Minimal coatings can be from minimal use of conditioner or styling aids as well.

ktani
November 20th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh, I do use cones and hadn't clarified. I usually just massage it on hair and scalp the night before wash day. Maybe it's been pointless? Shoot!

Not necessarily. A number of people use coconut oil with shampoo and conditioner. It can work very nicely as a surface conditioner used that way - without the clarifying.

However, used over conditioner is what causes dry "crunchy" ends. When that happens just clarify and start over.

It depends on what you want the coconut oil to do for you.

Kristin
November 20th, 2011, 05:39 PM
If it's not penetrating because it's hardening, you can always sleep with a winter cap over your hair/head. I have some that I crocheted and are a bit too big, so they're perfect for keeping my head and hair warm while deep conditioning and oiling.

GracieRae
November 20th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Not necessarily. A number of people use coconut oil with shampoo and conditioner. It can work very nicely as a surface conditioner used that way - without the clarifying.

However, used over conditioner is what causes dry "crunchy" ends. When that happens just clarify and start over.

It depends on what you want the coconut oil to do for you.

Thank you! You've been so informative :)

GracieRae
November 20th, 2011, 07:13 PM
If it's not penetrating because it's hardening, you can always sleep with a winter cap over your hair/head. I have some that I crocheted and are a bit too big, so they're perfect for keeping my head and hair warm while deep conditioning and oiling.

Ohhhh that's a great idea too! Thank you :)

ktani
November 20th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Thank you! You've been so informative :)

You are very welcome.

spike316
November 20th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I am sure it was not amusing.

Re coconut oil and penetration to the cortex - both clarifying products and shampoos can contain coatings that stay on the hair and block lauric acid from reaching the cortex - it is about using shampoos or a clarifying product that does not contain them.

Minimal coatings can be from minimal use of conditioner or styling aids as well.

Interesting, do you have any clarifying products that you personally recommend or any ingredients that we should avoid before coconut oiling if you want it to penetrate the cortex/avoid crunchy ends?

ktani
November 21st, 2011, 03:19 AM
Interesting, do you have any clarifying products that you personally recommend or any ingredients that we should avoid before coconut oiling if you want it to penetrate the cortex/avoid crunchy ends?

The shampoo I use does not build-up and neither does catnip so I have no need to clarify. If I did rather than let something wash out after stopping use of it, I would use Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo.

For shampoos I avoid polymers ending in cellulose, large amounts of botanicals like chamomile or aloe, or jojoba oil, or large amounts of protein, and conditioning waxes or waxy ingredients like cetearyl alcohol. A complete list would be very long.

All conditioners and styling aids build-up.

spike316
November 21st, 2011, 09:33 AM
The shampoo I use does not build-up and neither does catnip so I have no need to clarify. If I did rather than let something wash out after stopping use of it, I would use Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo.

For shampoos I avoid polymers ending in cellulose, large amounts of botanicals like chamomile or aloe, or jojoba oil, or large amounts of protein, and conditioning waxes or waxy ingredients like cetearyl alcohol. A complete list would be very long.

All conditioners and styling aids build-up.

I don't use any styling aids, but I use toadstool conditioners which don't seem to build up on me. I think the build up that I have is from when I get my hair done at the salon, so I'll go pick up some of the neutrogena after my next appt! ^_^

ktani
November 21st, 2011, 09:43 AM
I don't use any styling aids, but I use toadstool conditioners which don't seem to build up on me. I think the build up that I have is from when I get my hair done at the salon, so I'll go pick up some of the neutrogena after my next appt! ^_^

I have seen the Toadstool conditioners, example - they are all the same basic ingredients that I can see,
http://www.etsy.com/listing/84387619/hydrus-for-men-hair-conditioner-jojoba?ref=sr_gallery_3&ga_includes%5B0%5D=tags&ga_search_query=toadstool+soaps&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=
"Ingredients- Distilled Water, Jojoba Oil, Glycerin, Vit E & Humectant(corn & soy oil blend) for moisturizing, Potassium Sorbate & Fragrance oil."

Jojoba oil, a liquid wax does build-up, perhaps not as quickly as other conditioning ingredients for some people and in this formulation.

Good luck!

heidi w.
November 21st, 2011, 10:36 AM
When it gets winter cold, hair products also become colder and harder. A bit of a problem actually. My conditioner vat in the shower is cold, and cold conditioner sets up on top of the hair more and isn't absorbed as readily and doesn't bond as well with the cortex.

Kind of like having a dry sponge and pouring on a tidbit of dish soap for washing dishes. No hot water, the soap doesn't emulsify and bubble and it can leave behind a film.

So in winter, I UP the temperature of my shower water, and I kind of warm the conditioner by quickly putting it under the shower water and then applying to hair, and the hair too gets cold as the conditioner sits on it, so I dip my head under the shower water to warm the conditioner and hair.

Temperature matters a lot with conditioner uptake and effectiveness.

Coconut Oil soaking I have never personally done. And I'm a fan of using coconut oil, historically, on my hair length. I buy it as a solid, from Spectrum Naturals, the one under Beauty, for use on hair and skin, the label specifically cites.

I dig a bit of coconut oil out of the vat with a fingernail and rub between my palms. The friction warms the coconut oil sufficiently that I can apply to my freshly clean, air dried hair, and detangle, and then Boar Bristle Brush to polish the hair. I hardly ever do this as acquiring this coconut oil locally is difficult to come by.

Anyway, I wouldn't think that melting it and dousing your head in coconut oil would be overly helpful.

heidi w.

melusine963
February 10th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Wow, and I thought my house was cold! I've never had this happen to me, but there's always a first time. Maybe I should move somewhere less drafty as a precaution :)