PDA

View Full Version : ...Little Lucy's hair.

iszolda111
November 20th, 2011, 12:03 PM
My little girl Lucrezia is three years old.:) She was born bald, her hair is only to her neck now (it is curly too, when pulled straight it is down her back a little.)It's also really thin, and I was just thinking, she had cradle cap as a baby, and she still has little dry brown flakes on her scalp that I think could be affected her little hair growth and thickness? I only wash her hair once a week with a teeny amount of kiss my face organic shampoo, and sometimes I condition it, but I don't know what to do about the dry flakes on her scalp? She doesn't let me do anything, it's even difficult to wash her hair. if I tried to oil her scalp or something I think there would be oil everywhere but her head. Do you think the dryness could be affecting her hair growth?:confused: does trimming kids hair actually make it grow faster? her ends are healthy so I have never trimmed them.

Amber_Maiden
November 20th, 2011, 12:07 PM
No, trimming hair does not make it grow faster... Not sure what to do about the dryness. Maybe someone else had experience with this?

Perhaps her hair will start growing when it wants to? My little sister didn't grow any hair, besides peach fuzz, until she was 3.

uptosomeone
November 20th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Two of my little brothers had cradle cap. We found as lotion that got rid of it--if you're interested in using a fine tooth comb to "scrape" it off (that sounds rough, but it's really not) I can go figure out what the lotion was. It's not expensive, but it's the only thing in seven years my mom had found that's actually worked!

GlennaGirl
November 20th, 2011, 12:31 PM
If you only wash her hair once a week (which is fine), it could be simply the skin flaking off that you wouldn't normally see if you were mechanically messing with her scalp more often than that (i.e. shampooing maybe every other day or whatever).

Is it bothering her?

By the way, I love the name Lucrezia.

iszolda111
November 20th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Thank you all :) I didn't think trimming hair made it grow faster, people keep telling me to trim her hair, cut her bangs, I protectively put my hands over her head and say noooo thats alright thank you very much! Her bangs will eventually be past her chin and then how glad will I be her hair never saw a pair of sissors! She is obsessed with Rapunzul and says she wants her hair to be "right to the floor!". I love that so much.
I do not think she needs lotion at this point, as it is not really cradle cap anymore, but if you have the name I will take it and if I can get it here maybe Ill give that a go. I do scrape it sometimes, but she doesn't really let me she is so protective of her hair and untrusting of me! lol. When she saw me with sisscors today she hid from me and said " no don't cut my hair." I was just sewing lol.
The dry scalp does not bother her, she does not seem to notice it. I do only wash her hair with anything but water once a week. Maybe thats why she has flaky skin? But I would not feel right washing it any more, It never gets oily or aything. The flakyness, It just looks like it is blocking up some hair follicles to me. Maybe thats crazy overprotective Mom stuff. I just didnt know if that was possible?
Thank you, GlennaGirl, I love Lucrezia as well :) With her middle name, she is Lucrezia Iszolde. but, Lucy for short.

Kyla
November 20th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I just wanted to add that that's a beautiful name! It's so cute she's an aspiring long hair as well.

Elph
November 20th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Perhaps just using condish to was with instead. My boys both still have cradle cap (they are 3 and 5) and the best way for me to deal with it is to wash with condish and scrape the flakes if they get really bad.

MandyBeth
November 20th, 2011, 08:43 PM
What about a Tangle Teezer to get the flakes loose or off? My nieces LOVE that, as does my foster daughter. It gives a good scritching.

misspurdy06
November 20th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I was born with red hair then it all fell out by the time I was 1 and didnt even start growing back untill I was 4 (grew back white/blonde) My mom was worried that I would be bald the rest of my life.

Between ages 5 and 9 my hair was thin and wispy.

When puberty hit my hair started to get really thick.

My point is that she is young and we are genetically programmed to worry and that everything will turn out okay.

Her hair will be like yours when she grows up.

AmericanWoman
November 20th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Make sure she doesn't have ringworm. It causes hair loss and wonlt go away on its own.

gypsymoth
November 20th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I think it's worth looking into, but I also agree with Amber_Maiden.

My cousin's hair looked like Smeagol's few strands for the first few years of her life, and she didn't have any health issues. Now she has a beautiful full head of hair :)

julliams
November 21st, 2011, 12:24 AM
Is her hair blonde? Something I've noticed is that often children who have white blonde hair were often bald at birth and their hair would grow in very sparsley until they were about 3. Not in every case of course, but just something I've noticed of people I know.

infinity_girl
November 21st, 2011, 02:33 AM
Don't know if this is any help but my 1 year old son loves having his hair brushed softly with a tangle teezer. He has a full head of beautiful dark brown hair but he did have cradle cap and it just eased off once his full hair came in. I think the tangle teezer massage really helps his hair to grow and also is really relaxing for him as he will stop crying and sort of go into a little trance as soon as I start brushing.

piratejenny
November 21st, 2011, 03:39 AM
I have a 3 year old who occasionally has outbreaks of cradle cap. I started washing less frequently (every two weeks). Before I wash I massage a little oil on the spots where he has the cradle cap. This losens the flakes and they are easily combed out with a fine toothed comb. Then we wash. He loves the procedure and purrs like a little cat on my lap. It's like getting a head massage I guess :D. His hair isn't very long, which probably makes this easier, too.