PDA

View Full Version : ? for those who use sleep caps

W2
November 20th, 2011, 09:57 AM
How on earth do you get you SO to not laugh at you? :confused:

Really - I'm married to a very tolerant man - but I'm sure he would laugh his a* of, if I pulled a cap on!

Well - instead I now ordered satin for pillow and duvet. He will never notice the difference anyways - and if he does - it was on sale :D It really was!!

jaine
November 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Oh ... he definitely laughs. I laugh too. It's all good... :)

Avital88
November 20th, 2011, 10:22 AM
hahaa i would laugh too and just tell em : now we look like an old married couple and laugh a bit more

Melisande
November 20th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I swapped away my pretty wrap although it was pretty - it was too small for my huuuge head and squeezed my poor ears. But I did use it for a while. And my husband? You will be surprised. He liked it. He also liked my experiments with hijab and other head coverings. He says head coverings make a woman look sexy and mysterious and inviting. Don't ask me why but he says it looks great on me.

Yes, he is strange, I know ;-)

irishlady
November 20th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I don't. He and my brother think it's absolutely hilarious, but the novelty wears off after a while lol
They call me "Granny" predictably.

moon2dove
November 20th, 2011, 11:11 AM
My DH just laughs! :)

As soon as the alarm goes off in the morning, I remove my cap as quick as possible so he doesn't see it!

W2
November 20th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Maybe that's the trick - to put it on and remove it while it's dark?

dawnrader
November 20th, 2011, 11:52 AM
DH thinks im crazy enough being on this forum, never mind falling asleep with a cap on! I'd go as far as a satin pillowcase, but any further i'd be committed!

rock007junkie
November 20th, 2011, 03:01 PM
The one that finds it hilarious is my 14 month old son. As soon as he sees me put on the bonnet he starts having a bout of giggles. I've become a clown for him and would do anything to see him smile so this has worked out well for me.

jacqueline101
November 20th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I don't have a husband. I'm lucky in that sense. I hear it from my neighbors.

racrane
November 20th, 2011, 04:43 PM
My boyfriend thinks I"m crazy already for bringing my satin pillowcase whenever I spend a night at his place... I'm not wearing a sleep cap. Maybe when we're married... for now, I like a little mystery. :D

Seeshami
November 20th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Muffin never laughs at the insanity that is naughty mess.

He takes my hair more seriously then I do, he loves the naughty mess to pieces.

Fairlight63
November 20th, 2011, 07:45 PM
DH laughed at first & I laughed along with him. He doesn't say any thing now, he just kind of rolls with the punches, haha
Now my son, he laughed his head off & called me Ma from Little House on the Prairie. He could have called me worse - I think that Ma was pretty. Now if he called me "Granny" that would have been bad, LOL

wishywashy
November 20th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I got the granny thing for a little bit too....but he knows I am growing my hair out and I dont really care who thinks it's weird. I know what the benefits are and soon he will see them too.

I tell him, if he gets to play those stupid video games and not be judged, then I get to do weird stuff to my hair LOL deal with it!!!

jeanniet
November 20th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Hubby laughs, kids laugh...meh. If you're the mother of teenage boys you learn to roll with it. They call me "mushroom head." :rolleyes: For the amount of protection I get from a sleep cap, they could call me worse things. :D

Calaelen
November 20th, 2011, 08:41 PM
My husband has gotten so used to my "try anything to achieve long healthy hair" obsession that by now it wouldn't even faze him. He used to tease me about my Kitchen Recipes..which ended up in my hair. He called me "salad head" for awhile while I was using egg and lemon washes and moisturizing with mashed avocado. By the time I moved on to ACV and tea rinses, sleeping with a silk scarf on, and satin pillowcase, he'd already seen things that were to his mind far more bizarre. Now he says nothing, but he does LOVE my hair, and thinks it is beautiful. :D

W2
November 21st, 2011, 05:45 AM
Now proud owner of home-made bonnet!!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8972&pictureid=119453

Not all finished, since I've made it while my hair was oiled, so the elastics needs to be tightened.

Ashenputtel
November 21st, 2011, 06:46 AM
I have a pink one very flashy. My boyfriend keeps laughing and calling me cupcake. I don't wear it every day, but at least 4 nights a week.

Peggy E.
November 21st, 2011, 07:06 AM
I don't have a husband. I'm lucky in that sense. I hear it from my neighbors.

Um, you don't mean your neighbors are laughing at your sleep cap, are you?! ;o)

Actually, there are ways and there are WAYS, to get that "boy, do you look dumb" SO individuals to keep those comments to themselves. Need I elaborate?!

What I've always wondered about the caps is if they don't leave a crease on the forehead? To me this is goofier than wearing the cap.

Of course, my two dogs could care less what I wear - so long as it doesn't interfere in my ability to keep them fed and happy! Hm, not much different from the ex- in that respect.....

Anje
November 21st, 2011, 08:46 AM
My DH and I agree that it's silly-looking, but I wear it anyway. He's used to me doing strange things, putting odd concoctions on my hair, etc. Over the years, I've even managed to get him to do SMTs and he now hennas.

LadyLongLocks
November 26th, 2011, 07:14 PM
My DH just laughs! :)

As soon as the alarm goes off in the morning, I remove my cap as quick as possible so he doesn't see it!

Same here! I also try to wait until he is asleep to put mine on.
When he see's it he does kind of laugh, and so do I.

I have one in black, tan and lavender. Would like to have one with a pattern. I might have to make it myself. There was some crazy ones at sally's with lace sticking up in the middle, I would never wear it in fear of looking crazy :) we had a good laugh looking at it in the store.

darklion
November 26th, 2011, 08:34 PM
when I pull my sleep cap on... my dog knows that we are seriously go to bed and he dashes for the prime real estate before the cat gets there!

fridgee
November 27th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I always wondered about that... I thought you all had very accepting partners! Seems that you are just a very strong willed lot, I'm not sure could stand the laughs... DBF already laughs enough at my shower cap... And I don't think I'd feel very sexy in bed wearing a sleep cap! He would probably tolerate getting a silk pillow case though and just put it down to my eccentricity!

skraprchik
November 27th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I'm African American, so going to bed with a bonnet or scarf is perfectly normal. No one batts an eye.

Copasetic
November 27th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I have never had the guts to wear a sleep cap in front of a significant other. Maybe if we were together for a really long time, I could work up the courage. Maybe.

AnnaJamila
November 27th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Same here! I also try to wait until he is asleep to put mine on.
When he see's it he does kind of laugh, and so do I.

I have one in black, tan and lavender. Would like to have one with a pattern. I might have to make it myself. There was some crazy ones at sally's with lace sticking up in the middle, I would never wear it in fear of looking crazy :) we had a good laugh looking at it in the store.

Oh my goodness I've SEEN those!!!! They're so funny! :lol:

Nevvie
November 27th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I'd expected him to laugh, I even warned him about it. Mine is just plain black satin and upon seeing it all he said was something along the lines of 'Oh, I'd expected it to look like the ones my grandma used to wear with flowers and stuff, that looks pretty normal'. Haven't heard another word about it since then. Guess I'm lucky <3. My son on the other hand is afraid of it for some reason. No clue why, but I've started wearing it in my bedroom only now so he doesn't have nightmares.

mz_grim
November 27th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I dont think my OH would be overly accomodating if I wore a sleep cap.

DreamDance
November 27th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I tell him, if he gets to play those stupid video games and not be judged, then I get to do weird stuff to my hair LOL deal with it!!!

^Ditto this

I always wondered about that... I thought you all had very accepting partners! Seems that you are just a very strong willed lot, I'm not sure could stand the laughs... DBF already laughs enough at my shower cap... And I don't think I'd feel very sexy in bed wearing a sleep cap! He would probably tolerate getting a silk pillow case though and just put it down to my eccentricity!

And what about a silk scarf? The long your hair gets the more he's going to want you to find a way to keep him from getting tangled in it at night. Plus scarfs feel so nice on the skin. my husband rubs his face on it o.O

anixia
November 27th, 2011, 03:22 PM
DH teases me about my sleep cap, he calls it my "lunch lady hat". But since I am wearing a bite guard and smothered in oil/cremes anyway I don't pretend to be full of sex appeal at night anyhow.

beccababesx
December 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
One thing us single girls can be rejoice about :D that along with being able to slack on the leg/bikini wax lol!
My brother laughs and says I look like an old wife :p

longcurlygirl<3
December 3rd, 2011, 02:51 PM
My family laughed the first time :D. And I do too still. But they have gotten use to my hair obsessions

woolyleprechaun
December 5th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Hehehe! Im loving this thread! Ive only just started wearing a silk sleep cap so the hubbys still bemused:confused:. I think I make matters worse by wearing it with the football shirt I wear as a nightie......:oI look positively insane. I have ordered a 'sexy' one, in black silk with blue lace, but I realy doubt it will up my glamour rating much:D

CarpeDM
December 5th, 2011, 04:54 AM
My SO calls me a "lunch lady" when I put it on at night, it is all in good fun and it makes us laugh :)

Sorry! Guess I am not much help!

mneh
December 5th, 2011, 05:03 AM

When I used hair straighteners, I used to wear cotton bandanas on my hair to keep it straight while I slept. My husband got used to that and actually liked the fact that they kept my hair out of his face when he spoon-hugged me. I moved on to a Pretty Wrap for a few years and, as it is a bonnet disguised to look like a headscarf, he didn't think it looked daft because he was used to mw wearing a headscarf in bed. Now I wear my hair in a very high ponytail tied with a scrunchy and that made him laugh a wee bit at first, but it was affectionate laughing and he'll follow it with a comment saying I look sweet and that he thinks I always look good. We are both the sort of people who prize comfy over attractive, which is very handy considering I love flannel pyjamas for nightime and track suit bottoms for loungewear :)

Vanille_
February 2nd, 2012, 01:19 PM
DH burst into laughing when I put one on for the first time the other night. He couldn't stop laughing. He said I look like little bo peep.

QMacrocarpa
February 2nd, 2012, 02:04 PM
In winter we both wear fleece nightcaps, so it's a nighttime goose/gander sauce situation. :D

PianoPlaye
February 2nd, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hm. I got him a truly Wee Willie Winkie knitted woolen cap which not even he wears in public. I also bought a silk shirt in a thrift store, with intent to run amok with the shears & then get hemming. As long as he laughs, I'll be fine. If he yells for the boys & takes the mick, I can always point out that his "voyageur" cap was at least made and sold as a public wear item... :D
The point about the bite guard is well taken. :o

Maktub
February 2nd, 2012, 02:12 PM
I think it would definitively make most SO's laugh (and hopefully the one wearing the cap too!) ! but that's GOOD, makes fun giggles ! :D

I don't think most guys would mind for sleeping, unless you wore it 24/24 and never tried looking good and attractive at other times. =)

MamaCimino
February 2nd, 2012, 02:18 PM
I don't think my dh cares much. I'm sure he snikered the first time I wore it but now it's no big deal. I only wear the cap when I'm doing an over night treatment of some sort. He rolls his eyes when I say I have monistat on my head but no comments...

ludwig20
February 2nd, 2012, 02:24 PM
I've yet to buy one, but when I suggested I get one, my sister thought it was odd.... lol most people seem to think it's just too 'antiquated'.

goldenmoments
February 2nd, 2012, 04:43 PM
This is too funny... My bf saw satin sleep bonnets at a museum gift shop and wanted to buy one for me. It made it rather easy to admit I sleep in one already. I was giggling so hard when he suggested the purchase. I couldn't get over how adorable he is. Personally, I would never wear one if it wasn't for tlhc, so it is the last thing I expected from my bf.

sfgirl
February 2nd, 2012, 04:44 PM
hehe, My boyfriend always falls asleep after me, but I put my hair in a braid. and he's too tired in the morning to notice!

Silver Swan
February 2nd, 2012, 06:30 PM
Sorry, slightly off topic, but -
I'm considering making one as I have a silk sari I could cut up. But I'm not sure what they actually look like! Does anyone have pictures of one, or know where I could get a pattern?

mzBANGBANG
February 2nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
I chose a silk scarf instead. DBF calls me Erykah Badu. I take it as a compliment. :)

ludwig20
February 2nd, 2012, 10:07 PM
I chose a silk scarf instead. DBF calls me Erykah Badu. I take it as a compliment. :)

That's definitely a compliment. ;)

Do you find a silk scarf easy to wear? I imagine it slips a lot, but I could be wrong...

Darkessa
February 2nd, 2012, 11:13 PM
When I got my cap he laughed pretty hard at first. I look absurd wearing it... I honestly do.
He just got over it after a few nights and now its just nothing new!

Neorah
February 2nd, 2012, 11:17 PM
I have a silk sleep cap that has a top layer that looks like a silk scarf, so it's less grandma-ish... My husband doesn't really care, he thinks I'm cute no matter what crazy thing I'm wearing! :lol: I stopped wearing it sometime last year, though, because I started having a hard time containing all my hair in it.

ludwig20
February 4th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I finally got one and it fit comfortably. Luckily, it stayed on right all night. Then again, I don't move around too much either. :D

Kizuna
February 4th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Sorry, slightly off topic, but -
I'm considering making one as I have a silk sari I could cut up. But I'm not sure what they actually look like! Does anyone have pictures of one, or know where I could get a pattern?

I'm not sure how they look either, but I made one anyway!
I cut a circle in my satin fabric and folded the edges and hand sewed it leaving a hole in the beginning/end. I then pushed a elastic through the channel I had created and tied a knot when I reached back to the beginning. It's not a masterpiece at all (it was tricky folding and seweing) but it does the work of keeping my hair out of the way during the night. :) I don't have any photos of it yet but when I do I can post a photo here if you're interested. :)

LittleOrca
February 4th, 2012, 06:47 PM
My guy wears one too. He giggled when I first put it on, then I let him try it over night and he got himself one. His hair is about midback.

Starflower
February 5th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I started wearing a sleep cap after a middle of the night 'fight' with my SO. Keep in mind that we don't fight or argue ever, the worst we do is have deep discussions if we happen to disagree.

One wee hours of the night I rolled over in my sleep and found myself trapped to my pillow. My braid was wrapped under my partners arm and he was sleeping on top of it.
I instantly became furious in my half awake state and hollered 'DAMN IT TOMMY!!!!' which in turn scared him awake. He yells back 'WHAT THE HELL!'
Me: GET OFF MY HAIR!!!
Him: I'M GONNA SHAVE YOU BALD!!!!

We both instantly go back to sleep. Our fight lasted all of 15 seconds and we had to ask each other the next morning if it was a dream LOL!

So at his suggestion I bought a sleep cap the next day and haven't looked back. I even have a picture of him wearing it to be silly. He looks like a French chef!

Vanille_
February 5th, 2012, 09:23 AM
I actually started laughing. DH looked at me like I was crazy. That was a great story!

wishywashy
February 6th, 2012, 08:32 AM
I highly recommend wearing a sleep cap. If anyone is feeling weird about wearing one in front of the significant other, you could just put it on when the lights go out to save some embarrassment. :cool:

nala89
February 6th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Haha reading this makes me wonder if my boyfriend will laugh... I just ordered my sleep cap ;)

Becky9679
February 6th, 2012, 11:44 AM
My husband didn't even bat an eyelid when I started wearing mine. His reaction to anything I do that may be considered a little strange is :shrug: "whatever makes you happy dear"

Silver Swan
February 7th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure how they look either, but I made one anyway!
I cut a circle in my satin fabric and folded the edges and hand sewed it leaving a hole in the beginning/end. I then pushed a elastic through the channel I had created and tied a knot when I reached back to the beginning. It's not a masterpiece at all (it was tricky folding and seweing) but it does the work of keeping my hair out of the way during the night. :) I don't have any photos of it yet but when I do I can post a photo here if you're interested. :)

Thanks Kizuna! Your cap sounds similar in design to a shower cap. I thought that there may have been a special design for long hair people. Sewing on the round is never easy, so well done :D

I have done a google search (which I should have done in the first place), and now I have a better idea of what I want to make - something more like a fitted cap with a pocket for hair at the back.

Falcore
February 7th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Mine calls me Little Miss Muffet when I wear mine