PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy hair....?

PoliticalPilot
November 20th, 2011, 06:50 AM
We just found out that #3 is on the way! I have a hair question...
Normally, my hair pretty much doesn't fall out *at all* when I'm pregnant. This time I am five weeks along, and it is shedding at least a little bit (maybe normal amount or a little less). At what point will my hair go into the normal "pregnancy resting phase"?
I'm asking, because I am freaking out that it will shed like normal through the whole pregnancy (maybe something is wrong with me!?), and then I'll have the normal post-partum shed--and be totally bald.
My hair has always been fairly thick, but it seems like in the last couple years it has gotten thinner--but I don't know if it is true, or I'm just paranoid. I've only just started measuring diameter, so I have no old measurements to compare to.
Help, encouragment, suggestions?? :)

MonaLisa
November 20th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Congratulations! :) That's sweet!

I think you have silly worries.. Ok I'm guessing woman's body is a bit unpredictable..But who knows ..maybe you won't have post partum shed then?
Maybe this is just seasonal shedding now that's going on...:)

jacqueline101
November 20th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Congratulations. I hope your baby is happy and healthy.

Amiblue
November 20th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Congratulations! Don't worry about it. Your hormones change with each pregnancy and your hair will do different things too. With my first, I got super thick hair and after I lost it almost all at once (though I was seriously stressed out to for reason I don't want to bring up right know). My second, I didn't really thicken up any and I didn't lose much of anything at the end either. I will have to see about our 3rd when that time comes.

Just enjoy your pregnancy and your children. It isn't like you are going to be able to take anything or even take that risk with your little one to get your hair to not do something you aren't even sure will happen. So, good luck and love your babies!

Amber_Maiden
November 20th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I'm 11 weeks pregnant and I'm still shedding. I think it's just different for everyone. I have thick hair as well... I'm not shedding enough to notice any thinning, but then I again I have a TON of hair.

w/o freak
November 20th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Congratulations!

I shed in the first trimester just as badly as post-partum during every pregnancy, but haven't noticed my hair being any thinner. Maybe the same hormones make new hairs grow faster so it isn't noticeable?

It's bad enough that my husband bought me a plumbers snake so I don't keep backing up the shower. :D

Amiblue
November 20th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Congratulations!

It's bad enough that my husband bought me a plumbers snake so I don't keep backing up the shower. :D

Lol! I don't know what is worse: You Hubby buying you a plumbers snake or mine calling me until I look at the "rat nest" he just pulled out of the drain. I know it is there, does he really have to show me? :p

Neya
November 20th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I did not experience lack of shedding during my pregnancy, quite the opposite(I started to get nervous, it thinned a lot). I was also under horrible stress too, so it probably wasn't just the hormones.
Luckily, post pregnancy and afterwards while I breastfed (2yrs) I barely ever had shedding at all. And even after that didn't shed a lot. So I had great hair grow in.
I think every woman reacts to hormones different and ech pregnancy is different. No worries - it all evens out.

PoliticalPilot
November 21st, 2011, 06:09 AM
Thanks ladies! I will calm down and just relax. :-)

Lilli
November 21st, 2011, 06:53 AM
Second trimester it will start getting thicker. Be prepared for textural changes, too. Mine has gone from 1a to 1c all over plus 2b in the nape. It will fall out at 3-4 months pp, but I never balded.

bouclée
November 21st, 2011, 07:15 AM
PoliticalPilot,

I am 5-week pregnant too :) and I am still shedding like usual (maybe a bit less than one month ago, when I was shedding a lot due to stopping the pill).
I was actually also asking myself when hair was supposed to stop shedding (it's my first pregnancy)... Second trimester maybe? Well, let's keep us posted...

weddy
November 21st, 2011, 07:44 AM
Congrats! I shed a lot for my first pregnancy, I guess around 4-5 months along? Then it stopped, and since I had thick hair it didn't make a huge difference, but my pony circumference did shrink a tiny bit. I didn't notice an increase in shedding with my second pregnancy, not sure if the 17 years between had anything to do with it ^_^