PDA

View Full Version : When can I stop wearing ponytails?

Bazinga
November 20th, 2011, 04:56 AM
I am growing my hair out of a pixie. Now my hair is full of many different length layers and I can not leave it open because it looks just weird. My longest layer is a little over my shoulders and my shortest layer is almost chin length (bangs). In between that there are many many different length and they just don't look like a hairstyle. Looks just like growing out a hairstyle (which I'm doing right now, I know).
Is the only solution going to the salon and getting my hair cut? Is there anything I could do about it (I have a pair of very good hair scissors)? What should I ask for when I go to the salon? I don't want to be rid of too much length!
I feel so helpless and ugly right now.:(
Sorry for not showing a picture but I hope you can sort of imagine my current "hairstyle".

Celtic Morla
November 20th, 2011, 06:11 AM
When I was growing out I would use the snap barettes to pull my hair back from my fave and give me height at the top Then just a nice brushing to make it lay smooth in the back

geminiwoman
November 20th, 2011, 06:25 AM
If you go for a trim just tell your stylist you're growing, don't want to lose too much of the overall length, and ask them to fix all those different lengths so it looks more like a purposefully done layered style and less like 'hi yeah I'm growing out this old haircut' :p

I've grown out about a billion pixies so I mean that in a way that says 'I've been there sooooo many times' and not a mean way at all, just so we're clear. But really, I always had great luck explaining my situation to a hairdresser, and it's not too hard for them to help you out so it looks modern and purposeful. Luckily, heavily layered styles around shoulder-ish and slightly longer length are really common and popular! So even if it's not necessarily your first choice at least it won't seem unusual or weird when you're in public. They also grow out well, usually.

Also try to treat the shorter bits like face-framing layers. Helps you feel like all those pieces are supposed to be slipping out of every updo. Waves and curls can help blend the various lengths. Creative updos and half-ups. The headbands and little clippy doodads that get you through the shorter stages of growing out from pixie can still be really useful.

Hope that helps some.

Freija
November 20th, 2011, 06:27 AM
I had mine trimmed as I grew it - at about your stage, I think mine was a slightly layered bob. It's absolutely down to personal preference as to whether you feel more comfortable trimming it or just growing it as quickly as possible past the awkward stage. Part of my decision to trim, though, was that I wouldn't really be losing anything in the long run since I would have trimmed away the bottom layers in the end anyway.

Good luck, with whatever you decide - this bit will be over soon, and once the bulk of your hair gets past shoulder-length everything becomes much easier! : )

jacqueline101
November 20th, 2011, 06:30 AM
I would suggest someone helping you do a microtrim to get it to grow. Hair style wise try a bump it at the crown for lift.

pepperminttea
November 20th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I would seriously think about a trim - just of the bottom longest layers to let the shorter ones catch up, leave the shorter layers completely as they are. A self-trim (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/) at your length would be tricky, but if you can find someone you trust to help you that will make it easier. Aim to trim off half what you want - you can always cut more, but you can't cut less once it's done.

I say this because it really sounds like you're not enjoying your hair, and though a trim would slow things down a bit, it might be worth it for you so you can wear it down and make the best of an awkward stage. :)

Bazinga
November 20th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Thank you all for the advice. I came to a solution for my hair problem: I'm going to get an appointment at the salon and I'll get the longest layer cut. I will loose a few centimeters but I decided that I don't care because I'm not able to show whatever length I have right now anyway because of the ponytail problem.
I also decided to cut my bangs back in instead of letting them grow long because looking at pictures from a few years ago I showed me that I like my face better with bangs (I think I look friendlier and healthier with them, I don't know why). In fact I just came from the bathroom where I actually cut my bangs (first time I did this) and I love it. They look like my hairdresser cut them (well probably they will not look like that to my hairdresser but I'm fine with them).
Anyway I'm so grateful to have found this forum because I'm quite sure that otherwise I would have gotten a short haircut by now already.

jesis
November 20th, 2011, 11:26 AM
You could wear scarves and headbands. Since winter is almost here you might be able to get away with wearing a cute hat most days.

Amber_Maiden
November 20th, 2011, 12:06 PM
You could wear scarves and headbands. Since winter is almost here you might be able to get away with wearing a cute hat most days.

I second this.

ibleedlipstick
November 20th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I would recommend asking someone you love and trust to cut the bottom layer for you. Just have them cut it in a straight line up to the rest of the hair, and it shouldn't look bad.
I have grown my hair out from nothing a few times, and that is what I always did. Once I got to about apl I would go to a professional to have them even me out, usually back to shoulder.