PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with a new vitamin regime

hototogisu
November 20th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Inspired by the Womens Hair Loss Project, I'm starting a new vitamin regime to see if it will help my shedding. I've been shedding much, much less since removing my Implanon and switching back to shampoo-and-conditioner, but I still shed a lot and I had a shock the other day when I realised how much scalp I can see through my centre part.

I'll be taking 450mg of saw palmetto and 1000 ius of biotin twice a day, as well as my usual prenatal vitamin in the morning. I'm colouring my roots today, so my hair is heavily oiled, but I'll post a circumference (gulp - so, so ashamed of my thin hair) tonight as a baseline. I'll check back in after a month to let everyone know how this is going.

Has anyone else successfully combatted shedding with vitamins or herbs? I'd love to hear your experience!

Edited to add: my starting circumference is a sad 7cm. Man, I hope I can at least stop the shed!

longhairedlady
November 20th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I have never noticed a big shed with my hair. I do take vitamins every day and drink wheatgrass. Good luck with your new regime!

shikara
November 20th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Rosemary and some other essential oils coupled with massage are said to promote regrowth. Low levels of zinc and ferrite are often the cause of shedding that is not due to medicine or genetics. Im not sure if ivee thinned or not because ive never looked that carefuly but since joining LHC and putting my hair up, ive been wondering if my hair used to be a liitle more dense than it is now. I did have a few years of extra stress years ago but ive also been researching the nutritive values of everything I eat. I've added zinc supplements and am increasing my vitamin c a little to absorb iron. Proper intake and absorption of copper, magnesium, manganese, iron, and vitamins A, C, and D are important and many are said to benefit from supplements of amino acids, folic acid and biotin.

teb
November 20th, 2011, 08:41 AM
spirulina helped tremendously. I am prone to facial hair and it promoted that too.

hototogisu
November 21st, 2011, 11:34 AM
Okay, so it's only been a day, but I'm already noticing that my breasts really, really hurt, to the point that I took a pregnancy test (that came up negative). Breast pain is a known side effect of saw palmetto - http://www.livestrong.com/article/168164-saw-palmetto-side-effects-in-the-breasts/

So weird that it would kick in so quickly.